1814 replies to this topic

#1361 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

I know Byrd was a PED cheat who's having a good year now, but I'm not a big fan of bringing former PED guys in.  Sadly, it's not looking like a great SS market.  Peralta may the best available option.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 22 August 2013 - 10:25 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1362 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

B-Mets clinched a playoff spot last night.  Verette (11-6) is now tied for the league in wins.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1363 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Mets signed Daisuke Matsuzaka and he's supposedly going to slot right into the pitching staff. Guess that means deGrom is pretty much at the end point and the AAA options behind him are all terrible anyway.

Dice-K is boring as hell to watch, so from an entertainment perspective, this might not be all that fun.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1364 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

This guy has largely been sh!t the past four seasons, when he's been able to pitch.  This move makes absolutely NO sense. 

Yeah, guess deGrom doesn't get a shot here.  He seemed iffy to me anyway, but why not give him a friggin' chance?

I'm guessing the main reason Sandy is doing this is because of a lot of young Met arms are approaching their innings limits, and he wants to keep Torres in the bullpen.  This stuff I can understand to some extent...but Dice K?  The guy barely averages over 5 IP per start, usually to the tune of 100-110 pitches.  I know we'd rather see anybody other than the Laffeys, Schwindens, Foxes...yeah, Montero is really all that Vegas has right now.  Giancarlo Alvarado was doing a decent job until his last two starts (4 IP, 10 ER)...he's 25 years old.   

I know Dice K is basically just another warm body...guess I just wish it was a different warm body.  Should've been deGrom. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 22 August 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1365 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Eh, the move makes sense; it was clearly done because of the innings cap on young arms. Why else would they not bring up deGrom, who has performed well AND needs to be added to the 40-man this winter? He has to be at the end of his season, or very close to it. Dice-K is just a 1 month placeholder because everyone else in AAA (not including Montero since we've been over this countless times) pretty much stinks. Whatever.  

Edited by nmigliore, 22 August 2013 - 01:28 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1366 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Giancarlo Alvarado was doing a decent job until his last two starts (4 IP, 10 ER)...he's 25 years old.   

-10 years ;) ..

His "success" is a bit misleading too - he's running a near 1:1 K/BB. Dice-K is what he is, and he quite literally may be the toughest pitcher to watch with his walks and slow pace, but he's at least a better option than everyone not named deGrom or Montero in AAA. If deGrom wasn't facing an innings cap he'd 99.99% be here, I'm sure of it.

I mean even if they brought up someone like Alvarado I wouldn't have cared; it's just to get a warm body here to plug up innings and preserve the arms of the young guns (that includes Wheeler and Harvey). 

Edited by nmigliore, 22 August 2013 - 01:42 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1367 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

-10 years ;) ..

His "success" is a bit misleading too - he's running a near 1:1 K/BB. Dice-K is what he is, but he's at least a better option than everyone not named deGrom or Montero in AAA. If deGrom wasn't facing an innings cap he'd 99.99% be here, I'm sure of it.

Oops, LMAO.  Yeah, big difference between 25 and 35.  D'oh!

I think the Mets are probably being overcautious re: an innings cap with deGrom, but so be it.  5 weeks of Dice K is all we have to suffer through, and it's only once every 5 days or so.  Still gives me the :puke: , but like we've both said, no thanks to the trainwrecks not named Montero and deGrom that make up the rest of the AAA rotation.

#30 FOREVER!

#1368 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

Speaking of guys who ARE named Montero...his last 5 AAA starts:  33 IP, 24 H, 6 ER, 2 HR, 7 BB, 31 K, 3-1 record, 1.64 ERA.  Nice recovery from a rough beginning there. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1369 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, he and deGrom have been almost statistically identical too (overall AAA numbers):

Montero: 320 batters faced, 20.3 K%, 7.2 BB%, 3.08 FIP

deGrom: 296 batters faced, 19.6 K%, 7.1 BB%, 3.19 FIP

deGrom's ERA is a bit higher due to a .343 BABIP, but in the perspective of only things they can control, they've been practically the same pitcher. deGrom is 2+ years older and probably has a slightly lower ceiling, but still, it would be pretty nice if he ends up fitting in as a back of the rotation arm. 

There's just so many arms in the top level of this organization (MLB, AAA, AA) that I can't imagine the Mets not looking to swing some trades this winter that involve some.

And again, Sandy will have tons of flexibility this winter with just Wright and Niese under contract for 2014. If they don't trade any MLB arms, the rotation is pretty much set for next year too. Time to make your mark Sandy.

Edited by nmigliore, 22 August 2013 - 03:05 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1370 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,857 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

I didn't think Dice-K was still active  :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978, 22 August 2013 - 03:02 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1371 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Yeah, he and deGrom have been almost statistically identical too (overall AAA numbers):

Montero: 320 batters faced, 20.3 K%, 7.2 BB%, 3.08 FIP

deGrom: 296 batters faced, 19.6 K%, 7.1 BB%, 3.19 FIP

deGrom's ERA is a bit higher due to a .343 BABIP, but in the perspective of only things they can control, they've been practically the same pitcher. deGrom is 2+ years older and probably has a slightly lower ceiling, but still, it would be pretty nice if he ends up fitting in as a back of the rotation arm. 

There's just so many arms in the top level of this organization (MLB, AAA, AA) that I can't imagine the Mets not looking to swing some trades this winter that involve some.

And again, Sandy will have tons of flexibility this winter with just Wright and Niese under contract for 2014. If they don't trade any MLB arms, the rotation is pretty much set for next year too. Time to make your mark Sandy.

We've discussed this, but we know who will be in the rotation for sure next year (I think):

Harvey (duh)

Wheeler (making nice progress, eye-friendly numbers, throws hard)

Niese (lefty on a team that doesn't have much in the way of lefty starters, won't be asked to be a top or near-top of the rotation guy anymore, very reasonable contract)

After that, I think, for the right return, some of the following can be had:  Gee, Mejia, Montero, Syndergaard, deGrom.  You've got Goeddel and Verrett in AA too.  Unfortunately, I think if the Mets are looking to add something really big, it's going to cost them Syndergaard for sure.  It'd be interesting to see what a package of, say, Gee/Syndergaard/Flores could bring back.  I hate the idea of giving up Syndergaard, I really do, but once Sandy says no to anyone coveting Wheeler, I think those GMs insist on Syndergaard next.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1372 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

I didn't think Dice-K was still active  :lol:

He was on Cleveland's AAA team (19 starts for the Columbus Clippers)...numbers were pretty good, but it's AAA and Dice K is 32 years old with major-league experience, so pretty good isn't really all that good.  He's only getting this chance because the Mets have arms they'd rather not see injured or worn out...he's Rudy.  "Your best value to us is we don't care if you get hurt." 

#30 FOREVER!

#1373 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,857 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

He was on Cleveland's AAA team (19 starts for the Columbus Clippers)...numbers were pretty good, but it's AAA and Dice K is 32 years old with major-league experience, so pretty good isn't really all that good.  He's only getting this chance because the Mets have arms they'd rather not see injured or worn out...he's Rudy.  "Your best value to us is we don't care if you get hurt." 

Yeah but it's a mutually beneficial pairing, we're giving him an audition for him to get a ML contract next year too.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1374 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

Yeah but it's a mutually beneficial pairing, we're giving him an audition for him to get a ML contract next year too.

I agree, though I think everyone's very leery of him.  Even if he pitches well, I don't think teams will line up to sign him...even ones desperate for starting pitching.  He's had injury/health issues and has made a total of 55 starts over the last four seasons. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1375 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

Article on Syndergaard...he's been being held to five innings per start due to innings limits looming (and because the B-Mets want him to pitch in the playoffs).  He last pitched on August 16, and isn't pitching tonight (Goeddel is)...not sure if the Mets are holding him back until the playoffs begin. 

http://www.pressconn...ff-bound-B-Mets

#30 FOREVER!

#1376 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,311 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

Wow...is Dice-K garbage or what? This guy just doesn't have major league stuff anymore

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1377 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

Wow...is Dice-K garbage or what? This guy just doesn't have major league stuff anymore

Yeah, he blows, and the results are predictable.  If Sandy wanted to go the "has a pulse, why not" route, he could've brought any one of the zilches currently pitching at AAA.  Dice K is going to be a painful watch indeed.

#30 FOREVER!

#1378 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

Yikes...I have a feeling a swoon is coming, though as long as the pitching recovers, the Mets shouldn't fall completely apart.  I don't want Terry back, but I think the Mets are considering it...I think if he keeps the Mets from collapsing in September, he probably keeps his job. 

Saw "42" yesterday.  Not sure if anyone else here saw it.  It covers the time in Jackie Robinson's life from when he was playing for the Kansas City Monarchs (Negro Leagues), his one full minor league season with the Dodgers' Montreal Royals, to his first season with the Dodgers in 1947.

Sadly, the coolest thing about it is the CGI recreations of Ebbets Field, the Polo Grounds, and some other old-time ballparks, though I doubt those stadiums looked quite as "clean" as their CGI counterparts.  But the rest of the movie plays like a higher-budget, made-for-TV movie...something just seems to be missing.  Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey didn't really work...it felt like a characature, and it felt like Ford was acting, and not becoming (this is actually the first time in his career that Ford was portraying a real person, and the results were not good).  This made his Rickey performance feel very forced. 

As for the rest...it's typical Hollywood at its worst.  They take dramatic license and make up things for effect (there's a scene where Ben Chapman, the Phillies' manager at the time, goes so overboard with racial taunting that one of Robinson's teammates, while still on the fence on whether or not he wants to play with Robinson, stands up to Chapman on Robinson's behalf.  Robinson is then shown as being so incensed over Chapman's jabs that he goes into the dugout stairwell and smashes his bat into splinters.  While Chapman's seemingly endless barrage of racist insults was quite real, the bat incident never happened...even the director admitted this.  So why put it in there?).  There's other inaccuracies too, and all of them seem to be put in there to create over-the-top sentimental moments...which to me is the sign of a weak director.  Robinson's story was compelling enough without fake embellishments and fictional moment shoehorning. 

And sadly, at the end of the movie, we get a quick "What became of" various players and others.  It is mentioned that Dixie Walker, Robinson's teammate and one of the most staunch opponents of baseball integration, was traded to Pittsburgh after the conclusion of the '47 season (Pittsburgh is made out to be baseball Siberia in this film, the last place any Dodger would ever want to play).  And that's it...basically, once a bad guy or racist, always a bad guy.  The movie doesn't show that Walker actually started warming up to Robinson in real life as the season went on, and that Walker would go on to manage integrated International League teams in the '50s, and admitted that he was deeply sorry about his behavior back in '47, and had become a changed man in time, as the Jim Crow Era ended.  Right or wrong, quite sadly many of these players who come off as one-note bigots were merely products of their environment and upbringing...there's a scene in Cincinnati where a young boy, after hearing his father and those around him spewing racial epithets at Robinson, reluctantly parttakes.  It's one of the better scenes in the film, and very much one of the most disturbing.  Admittedly, this is what cracks me up about old-timers talking about the "good ol' days".  Yeah, the glorious Jim Crow Era, where fans dressed up in suits could freely spout off the most vile of racial slurs towards black ballplayers...yep, everything was just so much better back then.  Please.      

#30 FOREVER!

#1379 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

Didn't see the movie, heard poor reviews of it. 

Was at the game yesterday; game got ugly in the 9th but the d'Arnaud homer was fun and they gave out Seaver bobbleheads (main reason I bought tickets). 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1380 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Didn't see the movie, heard poor reviews of it. 

Was at the game yesterday; game got ugly in the 9th but the d'Arnaud homer was fun and they gave out Seaver bobbleheads (main reason I bought tickets). 

It's definitely disappointing overall.  I'm hoping someone else takes a shot at this one in 10 years or so...there's a great story there, but it wasn't told very well in "42"...it wasn't nearly as compelling as it should have been. 

1996's "Soul of the Game" (starring Blair Underwood as Jackie Robinson, Delroy Lindo as Satchel Paige, Mykelti Williamson as Josh Gibson, and Edward Herrman as Branch Rickey) is a MUCH better watch.  It doesn't cover any of Robinson's Dodger career, but chronicles Rickey's courtship of Robinson and black players and his desire to integrate, and Robinson's time in the Negro League.  This film also captures the "barnstorming" aspect of the Negro League, and touches on how some black players were plenty ticked that Robinson was the first (he was not the Negro League's best player, and many players thought Paige and Gibson should've been first, but the film shows why both were passed over:  Paige was already in his 40s, and Gibson had mental and substance abuse issues...Gibson was just 36 years when he died of a brain embolism, though this is not shown in the movie).  Though this movie has a lot of fiction and omissions (Gibson and Robinson were not known to have ever met, though the film shows them being friends, and Paige is portrayed as a loyal husband and not the womanizer he truly was), it's a good look about how tough life was in the Negro League, and how badly those players wanted to get to the majors the minute the opportunity presented itself.    

Re:  yesterday's game and the rest of the season, this is the kind of stuff to focus on:  d'Arnaud having good moments, etc.  I'd consider shutting Harvey down ahead of schedule...his last three starts:  18.1 IP, 27 H, 8 ER, 2 BB, 13 K.  I know the 13 hits allowed in his last start skews things a bit, but he looks like a guy who might be wearing down...not a surprise, as I feel that Collins flat-out abused him at times this season.  If that means Torres took his starts starting in, say, early September, fine...Sandy killed any chance the Mets had at building momentum towards a good September when he signed a complete stiff in Dice K to start every fifth day.  So now I say every move the Mets make from here on out should err on the side of caution.  If Wright isn't 100%, don't bring him back.  If Harvey is tiring, pull him out of the rotation.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 26 August 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users