1814 replies to this topic

#1381 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

I think my favorite baseball film is Sugar. Love that movie. Tells the story of a bonus baby out of the Dominican and how he adjusts to life in the US and the rough road of minor league baseball (it's not a documentary, it's an actual movie with actors, to be clear). It's a great film, highly recommend it. 

Edited by nmigliore, 26 August 2013 - 08:32 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1382 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'll check it out. 

Definitely check out Gooden's memoir when you get the chance (Doc:  a Memoir).  Piazza's book is pretty good too.  Ball Four will ALWAYS be timeless.   

Avoid Matt McCarthy's Odd Man Out:  A Year On the Mound With a Minor League Misfit.  As I read it, a lot of it sounded scripted and made-up...as it turns out, my instincts were right.  Box scores and transaction reports show that stories that McCarthy tried to pass off as fact couldn't have possibly happened.  McCarthy was confronted with the inaccuracies, and his rebuttal was to deny, deny, deny...he would admit to no wrong-doing.

An article about McCarthy's less-than-truthful storytelling, and how some players and others were hurt and angered by it:

http://www.nytimes.c...3book.html?_r=0

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1383 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

Yeah there are tons of Met books I have to get too. Still haven't picked up Dickey's book, there is Howie's book, Big Mike's, Doc's... there is also Jonah Keri's new book about the Expos coming out soon (big fan of his writing; his first book, The Extra 2%, is a great book about the rise of the Rays' franchise under Stuart Sternberg and Andrew Friedman). 

Edited by nmigliore, 26 August 2013 - 09:14 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1384 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

There's two good books about the 1962 Mets (Tales from the 1962 New York Mets) by Janet Paskin and the 1986 Mets (The Bad Guys Won).  Most Met fans are familiar with the '86 team's hard-partying ways (the stories have been passed on and repeated often), but it's still an entertaining read.   

It's so hard to believe that not one but TWO baseball teams left this area, in the same year no less (1957).  Even sadder is the fact that, with the Dodgers, it really seemed to be preventable, if not for Robert Moses being such a stubborn "highway or my way" guy.  But all things considered, it was probably a good thing for baseball, with two teams not only making their way west, but keeping their rivalry intact.  It would've been a cool time to be NY baseball fan in the 40s and 50s, having three teams, each with their own building and identity, to watch.  All those Brooklyn-NY subway series...1958 must've felt like such a strange year for New York, NL fans.  Losing TWO teams in one year?!

Don't know if you've ever seen a model of what O'Malley had in mind for the Dodgers' new building had Moses helped him secure the land (it was domed), but man it seems like that place would've been a disaster...one of those "Cutting edge for the time, but what the hell were we THINKING?!"

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1385 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

Montero made a start yesterday...went 5.1 IP, allowed 6 hits and two ER, 1 BB, struck out five.  His last two starts have been a little less impressive (10.1 IP, 14 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K), but he's pitched to a 1.88 ERA overall in his last 6 AAA starts, and hasn't allowed more than 2 ER in any of them.  His numbers in those starts have been very Montero-like:  38.1 IP, 30 H, 8 ER, 9 BB, 36 K. 

deGrom's last start was a rough one:  6 ER in 5 IP.  His overall numbers for St. Lucie, Binghamton and Vegas are pretty meh:  145.2 IP, 165 H, 72 ER, 45 BB, 119 K, and he's 25 years old...next season is going to be a bit of a make-it-or-break-it year for him.  I'm guessing he's either going to be a reliever here, or packaged with others in a trade for 2014 offensive help.  He's done nothing but start in the minors, but I don't see how he gets that opportunity as a Met in 2014, unless a lot of arms get hurt.  Mejia and Montero have to be ahead of him, though it's just so hard to tell who's going to be here when spring training begins.  Hef's injury helps deGrom's cause somewhat...he'll have one less arm to compete with.       

Syndergaard makes his first start tonight since August 16.  He is currently on an organization-mandated five-inning max limit. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1386 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

Harvey has UCL Tear in his elbow

http://metsblog.com/...-mri-on-monday/

So yea. The baseball gods pretty much despise this franchise.

Fun while it lasted....

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1387 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Sometimes there are no words.

Suffice it to say that Sandy's not in much of a position to trade away pitching.

#30 FOREVER!

#1388 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Collins treated Harvey like a piece of meat. 

I'm incensed at him for now

now granted, these things have happened to a lot of young pitchers. I just wish Terry wasn't so damn abusive with him.

Sometimes there are no words.

Suffice it to say that Sandy's not in much of a position to trade away pitching.

nah. This team will pick up a free agent bat this offseason. Rework the pen again, but Syndegaard and Monteiro are going nowhere.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1389 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,184 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Collins treated Harvey like a piece of meat. 

I'm incensed at him for now

now granted, these things have happened to a lot of young pitchers. I just wish Terry wasn't so damn abusive with him.

Don't disagree at all.  I'm more depressed than angry at the moment...but I have been thinking about all those unneccesary 115-pitch games throughout the year, and also how could Harvey have pitched normally over the weekend then suddenly come up with this tear?  Was he pitching with it through several starts?

Edited by NJDevs4978, 26 August 2013 - 03:05 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1390 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

Well this is why pitchers are the worst. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1391 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

Don't disagree at all.  I'm more depressed than angry at the moment...but I have been thinking about all those unneccesary 115-pitch games throughout the year, and also how could Harvey have pitched normally over the weekend then suddenly come up with this tear?  Was he pitching with it through several starts?

Alderson mentioned that Harvey has been getting treatment on his forearm for quite some time. Maybe it was relatively minor at the point, but shame on them for pushing him. Shutting him down for a month was what needed to happen.

#1392 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

I seriously can't believe this though. I couldn't be more ticked off at this fvcking sport. Thank God the season is over. fvck.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1393 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

He should just have the damn surgery now and get it out of the way, I don't want to hear the Mets say "Oh it's not torn enough, it can still heal, we can avoid surgery" because then it will heal, he will lose velocity, it will tear again, and then he'll miss even more time.

Have the surgery as quickly as possible

#1394 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

It's easy to kill Terry right now, it really is, and there's a part of me that wants to, but nmig said it perfectly...it's such a crapshoot with pitchers these days, and all of the protection/babying in the world seems to make no difference (not that Harvey was being protected/babied).  But yeah, not sure why they kept pushing Harvey if there were issues with his health. 

At this point, much as it sucks, I think to be safe, you have to plan as though he's never coming back.  If he can come back and be 90% of what he was, great.  If not, then the team is protected.  But I don't see how the Mets can trade any starting arms now:

Wheeler

Gee

Niese

Mejia

Montero

Syndergaard

deGrom

These are the candidates I see for the starting rotation in 2014.  I'd say the top three are locked, as long as they - knock on fvcking wood - stay healthy (hardly a guarantee in both Gee and Niese's cases).  Mejia, who knows.  Suddenly the depth seems, well, a lot less deep.  The Mets might actually have to ADD a veteran arm. 

I'm with you 7, no friggin' limbo on this one.  Make a decision sooner rather than later.

#30 FOREVER!

#1395 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

I can't even look forward to this offseason anymore. At this point they should just tank again and go after the 2015 class. This team is going nowhere next year anywho.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1396 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

I can't even look forward to this offseason anymore. At this point they should just tank again and go after the 2015 class. This team is going nowhere next year anywho.

I can't do that.  There's still a lot of good arms in the system.  Next year is still a good development year...hopefully Montero sticks, and Syndergaard starts the season in AAA and gets called up in late May-early June. 

This is as brutal a kick to the balls as it gets, but there's still reasons for optimism.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1397 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

Very sad to see the Mets as lifeless and disinterested as they looked today. Haven't lost 5 in a row in a while. The Phillies are a bad team...hopefully Terry can turn it around before it turns into 9-10 in a row like we've seen in past years

#1398 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

I think from here on out, you've got to ignore the wins and losses 7.  This team just took a big punch to the gut.  Now it's about individual performances.

Check out these numbers for Zack Wheeler in his last four starts:

25.2 IP, 24 H, 7 ER, 1 HR, 5 BB, 28 K, 2.45 ERA 

You'd like to see the pitch counts come down (he averaged 110 pitches per start in those four), but at least he's cut down on the walks.  Hopefully it's a sign of things to come, and not a random isolated sample of improved control.  But I like the way this last start went for him...almost had a "don't forget about me" feel to it.  I guess for continuity's sake, the Mets now will pass Harvey's sh!tty run support unto Wheeler. 

As bad as his numbers are, I wonder if Sandy would take a shot at Phil Hughes, for two reasons:  1) He won't cost much, and 2) He could be a bottom of the rotation guy, and could help give the Mets depth.  It's obviously not a headline move or something to get excited about, but with the Mets' starting pitching depth taking an obvious hit, this is the kind of move I could see Sandy making, to temporarily shore things up.

#30 FOREVER!

#1399 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:29 AM

Wow...Syndergaard got shelled yesterday, big-time:  3 IP, 9 H, 11 R, 9 ER, 2 BB, 5 K...he allowed 3 HRs too.  His AA ERA ballooned from 1.59 all the way to 3.00.

Again, he hadn't pitched since August 16...I think they had him skip a start due to innings limits, but clearly the layoff didn't help him much.  Yikes. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1400 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Rubin says multiple trades could go down in the next 24-48 hours, possibly involving Buck, Byrd, Feliciano, maybe some others.

I think someone forgot to tell Sandy this is August. A guy like Buck can pass through waivers, so that's not a big deal, but Byrd? There's no stopping a non-contender from claiming him just to block him from going to a contender.The Mets have next to no leverage in trade talks. They'll be dealing with one team, a team that may not actually want him. Even if they did, you're haggling over 1 month of control. I'll take something over nothing, but it was so obvious a Byrd trade should've happened a month ago, not now. Buck is the only logical August waiver-trade type because of his salary. 

Carson, den Dekker, and Recker could all be coming up to replace who is traded. Yuck. 

Edited by nmigliore, 27 August 2013 - 08:00 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users