1814 replies to this topic

#1421 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

deGrom only pitched two innings last night...gave up 2 ER, 3 hits and 1 BB in that time...ex-Met Xavier Nady hit a two-run shot off him...and he left the game because, apparently, now HE'S hurt too. 

http://metsminors.ne...sclosed-injury/

Can't make it up.  Could someone please ask God to stop fvcking with the Mets?

deGrom only pitched two innings last night...gave up 2 ER, 3 hits and 1 BB in that time...ex-Met Xavier Nady hit a two-run shot off him...and he left the game because, apparently, now HE'S hurt too. 

http://metsminors.ne...sclosed-injury/

Can't make it up.  Could someone please ask God to stop fvcking with the Mets?

This is really the whole problem with getting all excited over a farm system loaded with pitchers. I know I say this so much, but they are such a volatile bunch. The TNSTAAPP belief and "you need a handful of good pitching prospects to get one good pitcher" is real. Hitters >>>>> pitchers, and it will never change. 

I hope deGrom is okay. 

Edited by nmigliore, 29 August 2013 - 08:29 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1422 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

No, that's fair nmig, and I remember quickly how fast "Generation K" fell apart (Isringhausen, Pulsipher, Wilson).  They were supposed to be the Mets' top three guys in the rotation.  One of them turned to be a really good closer for a while, the other two never came close to what everyone thought they would be. 

Yeah, it's not like I was banking on all of these arms contributing to the Mets, and if anything, I was hoping they would all stay healthy enough to have trade value, so they could move two or three of them for something else. 

What's scary is, who can the Mets really count on for 200+ innings next season?  Gee and Niese have never reached that number.  Wheeler, maybe, but Harvey sure looked like a solid bet to do that. 

Gotta admit, the Mets should probably take a flyer on a Phil Hughes-type, for depth.  Someone will probably get stupid with Lincecum, Barry Zito-style...Lincecum has basically turned into Shawn Estes (occasional terrific game, many more meh and bad ones).  But I get the feeling he'll get a four or five year deal for good money, with the hope he'll turn into Lincecum pre-2012 again.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1423 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

Torres has now given up just one run in three out of his four starts this season (he was rocked in the other one).  What the hell, might as well let him start the rest of the season...he can't be any worse than Dice K.

Doofus in the lineup today, playing first base...sorry, but this guy is a complete waste of time, he really is. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1424 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

Torres has now given up just one run in three out of his four starts this season (he was rocked in the other one).  What the hell, might as well let him start the rest of the season...he can't be any worse than Dice K.

Dice-K will start regardless, Torres has no impact on him: Niese, Wheeler, Gee, Dice-K, Torres is the rotation. 

By the way, it's still so great to bury the Phillies. The rivalry has been pretty meaningless for 5 years but I still hate this team.

Edited by nmigliore, 29 August 2013 - 02:52 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1425 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

Dice-K will start regardless, Torres has no impact on him: Niese, Wheeler, Gee, Dice-K, Torres is the rotation. 

I know that, I wasn't suggesting Torres would start for him (though I could see how it could've been interpreted that way).  I was saying that the Mets might as well keep Torres in the rotation, regardless of anyone else's status. 

Kind of fun when a lineup that clearly is going to have trouble scoring runs has a big day...10 runs so far for the Mets. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 29 August 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1426 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

I know that, I wasn't suggesting Torres would start for him (though I could see how it could've been interpreted that way).  I was saying that the Mets might as well keep Torres in the rotation, regardless of anyone else's status. 

Kind of fun when a lineup that clearly is going to have trouble scoring runs has a big day...10 runs so far for the Mets. 

Of course they score 10 runs on Matt Harvey Day..... when Matt Harvey isn't pitching. :doh1:

Edited by nmigliore, 29 August 2013 - 03:00 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1427 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Of course they score 10 runs on Matt Harvey Day..... when Matt Harvey isn't pitching. :doh1:

That would be funny if the situation wasn't so sad.  Thank God Wheeler, Montero and Syndergaard are still healthy. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1428 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Nice job by Terry not leaving Gee in 1 batter too long. He pitched a tremendous game but was very close to implosion

Bryce Harper is a top talent with a 10 cent head. Rice was 3-0 on him...2nd and 3rd 2out. And he swings at ball 4, and then ball 5 the next pitch instead of taking his walk and loading the bases.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1429 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Nice win against a hot Nats team. Ike had a 2-run homer. d'Arnaud isn't hitting much but he's such a beautiful pitch framer. Without actually looking up the data I guarantee you he's stealing strikes on borderline and pitches just outside the zone.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1430 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,030 posts

Nice job by Terry not leaving Gee in 1 batter too long. He pitched a tremendous game but was very close to implosion

Bryce Harper is a top talent with a 10 cent head. Rice was 3-0 on him...2nd and 3rd 2out. And he swings at ball 4, and then ball 5 the next pitch instead of taking his walk and loading the bases.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1431 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

Gee is now 8-3 since May 30, and has given up 2 ER or less in 13 out of his last 17 starts. 

117.1 IP, 106 H, 32 ER, 14 HR, 25 BB, 82 K, 2.45 ERA 

The ERA is probably a bit better than it should be...Gee gives up a fair amount of hits AND home runs.  And his Ks are down as of late...in his last 69.1 IP (10 starts), he's only struck out 35 batters (3 or less in 7 of those starts, 4 in two others).  Of course, the best thing about Gee is that he keeps the walks down.  And he's providing innings...he's averaging 6.9 IP per start in these 17 starts.  He's got a pretty good shot at 200+ innings...sadly, as we've seen, reaching that number seems to have become a major achievement. 

He's done a terrific job in his last 17 starts, he really has, but the numbers do point to some regression coming. 

Re:  d'Arnaud...agreed nmig, noticed the same thing, the guy is a terrific framer.  In his last 5 starts, he's 4-for-17, for whatever that's worth...after yesterday, his avg is at its highest since his call-up (.156).  Maybe he's starting to settle in a little bit.

Re:  Ike, I would love to see the Mets trade him, but I don't know if they can.  Anyone interested to going to try to buy low.  With Ike, since he's come back, it seems like there's such clear pros and cons.  Right now, the positives are clearly his terrific BB-to-K ratio (38-to-35) and his OB% (.436) since being recalled.  But like I've said, it's not necessarily Ike's job to reach first base as much as possible.  And just like last season, when Ike's batting average settled in the .220s, this year it's settling in the .200s (he was hitting .203 on August 10, and is at .206 now, twenty days later). 

So I think the Mets are kind of stuck here into sticking with Ike, and hoping he doesn't completely suck again to start the 2014 season.  Funny thing is, even if he's hitting in the .230s but continuing to draw walks and hitting more dingers, but not doing much with RISP through June, compared to the last two starts he got off to, we'll all happily take it...not like he's set the bar terribly high.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 31 August 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1432 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

Another to the walking wounded...Ike Davis. Looks like a strained muscle in his side while driving in a run in the 3rd.

#1433 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

Gary and Ron already saying we've likely seen the last of Davis in 2013. Looks like Duda/Satin platoon at 1b for the rest of the year

Murphy is on one of his unconscious streaks again.

#1434 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,276 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

lol Ike doesn't even get to pad his September numbers.  Maybe it'll make the decision easier to move on in a perverse way, then again he's already 'improved' enough to trigger another false positive in the last month.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1435 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

Wheeler's last five starts:  32.1 IP, 29 H, 9 ER, 1 HR, 6 BB, 31 K, 2.51 ERA.  His overall FIP and xFIP, which were awful for a while, are now almost average...not a surprise, as he has not been giving up HRs or walks of late (doing that basically kills one's FIP and xFIP).  So glad luck was on his side earlier...these better numbers over his last five may not have happened.

Mets are in a damned-if-they-do, damned-if-they-don't situation with Ike Davis, now more than ever.  I feel for Sandy on this one.

I just hope Doofus doesn't hit some dingers against a bunch of September call-ups and somehow make himself relevant again.

Poor Satin...the guy has no wheels at all...has to be one of the slowest runners I've ever seen.

Yeah, Mediocre Murph is at it again.  10-for-his-last-16...just like that, he finishes what was really a pretty lousy August with a respectable .282 BA.  It'll be interesting to see what Sandy does if Murph has a hot September...his value probably wouldn't be any higher than it would be then. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1436 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

Las Vegas 51's clinched a playoff spot for the first time since 2002. Cool. I would say it's good for the Mets/51's relationship but that's not really a good thing in this case.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1437 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Did the Mets get screwed tomorrow or what? Not that they win in Atlanta anyway...but 8pm game in Washington tonight, 1pm start tomorrow in Atlanta.

How is that even allowed? Shouldn't better judgment prevail over at the MLB offices and this game be moved to at least...3:15 or so?

Why do they need to play at 1?

#1438 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

Quintanilla is pure garbage at this point. Just no baseball IQ or instincts. That idiotic throw to first when he had so much time needs to seal his demise. And he didn't even have to throw the damn ball if his momentum was off. The nationals were getting soft bullcrap hits all night

Also Terry starts the inning with Rice vs a righty? Huh? Why?

moron

Edited by '7', 01 September 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#1439 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

Was a weird game for sure...don't think I've ever heard "broken-bat base hit" uttered as often as I did yesterday. 

re:  Quintanilla...guy was never supposed to be here this long...he's not an everyday player on a decent team, and we've seen why.  Tejada has been red-hot at AAA as of late (now up to .289 with a .340 OB%)...gotta think he gets called up, though I don't think he's the future at short anymore.

Vic Black has been called up...great, want to see what he's got.  The Mets signed Aaron Harang for Vegas...he can't be much worse than most of the chum currently filling out that rotation...hell, I might even give him a shot at Dice K's job at the major-league level.  I think I'd rather see Andrew Dice Clay on the mound than Dice K at this point...he is truly unwatchable.

Terrific start for Montero on August 30:  6.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K.  Overall he's been awesome in his last 7 starts (no more than 2 ER allowed in any of them):  44.1 IP, 33 H, 8 ER, 2 HR, 9 BB, 44 K, 1.62 ERA.  Can't see how this guy isn't a candidate for a spot next season, unless he's traded.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 02 September 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1440 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

Dice-K is such an enormous pile of sh!t at this point that he is literally like having a position player pitch. He's non competitive and doesn't belong in baseball. He cannot execute a single pitch. Everything he throws is hanging over the middle of the plate or 2 feet outside and low.

Could Harang be any worse? At least Harang was decent last year. Matsuzaka has stunk for 5 consecutive years.

He needs to be cut tonight

Edited by '7', 02 September 2013 - 12:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users