1814 replies to this topic

#1441 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

Everybody except Sandy knew this guy had NOTHING.  Like I've said, get what Sandy was trying to do, I know he didn't sign this guy with the hope he was going to surprise, but for the love of God, find someone who can at least pitch into the sixth inning while he's giving up 5+ runs.  Agree '7', just put this guy out of his, and our, collective misery.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1442 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Chris Young was better lmao.  What happened to 'if we needed a long-term option we'd sign him'?  Did he get hurt again or catch on somewhere else?

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1443 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

The Mets signed Aaron Harang earlier, don't be surprised if they flip he and Dice-K at this point.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1444 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

The Mets signed Aaron Harang earlier, don't be surprised if they flip he and Dice-K at this point.

Yeah, we talked about Harang's signing on the prior page in this thread.  Yeah, Harang can't be much worse...God I hope we never see Dice K ever again.  There's not a single positive I can come up with for that zilch.  Takes forever in both number of pitches and actual time to get through three or four God-awful innings. 

If Harang can eat up 6 innings per start to the tune of 4 or so runs allowed, I'll take it.  At least he won't be killing the bullpen.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 02 September 2013 - 05:44 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1445 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

Looks like we're stuck with more Dice K for a while:

http://espn.go.com/b...er-dice-k-start

Why the Mets don't just try a Harang/Dice swap, I have no idea. 

And apparently Passive is going to leave it up to Matt Harvey as to whether or not he has the surgery:

http://www.cbssports...in-1-to-2-weeks

When did Sandy turn into such a meek little zilch?  Christ Sandy, for once, TAKE fvckING CHARGE! 

#30 FOREVER!

#1446 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

A little write-up about Friday night's pitching matchup (Wheeler vs. Scott Kazmir):

http://espn.go.com/b...-kazmir-line-up

Of course, the Mets took a lot of heat for this trade, and rightly so...more for who they got back than anything else...Zambrano had walked 96 batters in 128 innings that season before the deal, and Rick Peterson made the embarrassing declaration "I could fix him in 10 minutes". 

But the funny thing was, they actually turned out to be right about Kazmir.  Yes, the Mets knew that he was good and clearly had ability, but the Mets also felt at the time that he would never hold up long-term.  Kazmir never was able to provide innings (he topped 200 only once), and though he never enjoyed much run support with Tampa Bay (part of the reason for his career .500ish W-L record), by the time he was just 25 years old, with only 723 major-league innings under his belt, he was already starting to decline.  He's enjoyed a bit of a second life this season with the Indians, but he basically wound up becoming a poor man's Al Leiter...some dominating performances and some nice strikeout totals (1112 in 1152 IP for his career), but too many pitches thrown, not enough innings, and a lot of laboring.  He was good-to-very good in 2005-08, and the Mets definitely could've used him, lack of innings and all, but yet another guy who was very highly touted and didn't really live up to the hype. 

I bet most fans, if they were to guess, would think Kazmir is in his mid-30s, but he's only 29, and won't turn 30 until 2014.  In 2007, when Kazmir was just 23, the Rays probably thought they had a top-of-the-rotation guy for years to come:  34 starts, 206.2 IP, 196 H, 80 ER, 89 BB, 239 K, 13-9, 3.49 ERA.  They probably thought it was just the beginning for him...but as we've seen time and time again with pitchers, it can change so damned fast, and maddeningly so. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 September 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1447 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Great, Doofus is 3-for-3 today.  8-for-19 since coming back.  You can just SENSE that Sandy will have learned nothing, and next season this guy will still be here and get yet another chance to prove himself, if he has a big September. 

Like Evan Roberts said...I don't care if this guy hits .350 this month and hits some dingers to boot.  Get him out of here...this had better not be seen as some golden opportunity for him to work his way back into the Mets' future.  He had his chance and he blew it.  If this year was supposed to be about getting answers on certain guys, the Mets got theirs on Doofus earlier.

Gee has thrown 83 pitches through the first 6 innings (pretty impressive considering he threw 24 in the first inning alone), and has thrown just 17 balls.  Will he ever be able to put together a full season...something along the lines of a 3.00ish ERA, with 15-18 wins?  (Yes, I'm keeping it simple and not going the sabes route...as we've seen many times, if you get screwed repeatedly like Harvey did, there's not much you can do about your win total, so I know that's not the best way to measure a starting pitcher.)        

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 September 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1448 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

Gee in line to be 9-3 since since May 30 (18 starts):

124.1 IP, 110 H, 33 ER, 14 HR, 26 BB, 87 K, 2.39 ERA, 1.09 WHIP 

He and Wheeler are probably going into next season as the Mets' 1 and 2 starters (not in any order). 

Syndergaard starts tonight (first start since he got bombed on August 26)...in Trenton.  Really wish I could see that game...I'd love to see him start.  He's on a five-inning cap.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1449 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

Binghamton/Trenton is on MiLB.tv, so I'll be checking it out as long as the camera angle isn't trash.

Las Vegas (@ Salt Lake) and Savannah (@Augusta) also open up their playoff series tonight. Go 51's, B-Mets, and Gnats!

Edited by nmigliore, 04 September 2013 - 05:36 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1450 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:45 AM

Syndergaard went 6 IP, allowed 7 hits and 3 ER, walked one, struck out 8.  Frank Francisco (yes, THAT Frank Francisco) came in to relieve him.  B-Mets lost in extra innings...with the score tied 3-3, the B-Mets scored two runs in the top half of the 10th inning, but the Thunder came back with three runs of their own.

51s lost too, in the bottom of the 9th...Carson was the loser (big surprise there).  And Nieuwenheis went 0-for-5 with 3 K. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1451 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

I didn't watch unfortunately, but the reports on Syndergaard were awesome.

According to Baseball Prospectus’ Zach Mort, at times he was working 98-100 with “life”and throwing his hard curve at 78-79 mph with “bite.” 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1452 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Yikes...both Binghamton and Vegas are down 0-2 in their respective five-game playoff series.  Montero started last night, put up meh numbers.

Lefthander Darin Gorski started for Binghamton and pitched pretty well (7 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K) but took the loss as Binghamton managed just two hits for the game.

If you didn't know anything about Gorski, you'd see his AA regular season numbers and think "Wow, who's this guy?"  The numbers are pretty: 

14 G (13 starts), 78.2 IP, 46 H, 16 ER, 1 HR, 22 BB, 67 K, 6-1, 1.83 ERA

Unfortunately, he'll be 26 in October, and was taken off the Mets' 40-man roster last spring.  He was drafted out of college (Kutztown) in 2009.  He had started this season with Vegas, put up a 6.59 ERA in four appearances there (3 starts), suffered a shoulder strain, then found himself demoted to Binghamton, where he's remained.  Considering he spent all of last season there, this has been kind of a lost year for him.   

If he's ever going to be a major-leaguer, I'm guessing he's going to have to have a very strong showing in AAA next season...getting to be now-or-never with him...yeah, who knows, guys come up in their late 20s and contribute, but I'm sure that's not the route he'd like to go. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1453 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Bizarro World baseball today. Dice K turns in a pretty good start, and Murph draws three walks.

Vegas eliminated in their series 3 games to 1, B-Mets swept by Trenton.  Oh well, at least those teams got there. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1454 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

Looks like everyone on here is calling it a season. 

Feel for d'Arnaud...poor guy is 1-for-23 over his last 6 games...he's now down to .136.  Of course, we all want to him to get as much playing time as possible, but can't help but worry about a young player's confidence.  Hope the hits start coming for him.  Ditto Flores, though it looks like that ankle injury is really bothering him.  Not sure how much better it's going to get for him.  

There's positives in some of the negative performances:

Duda, predictably, is starting to suck again.  Thank God.  I think Passive was fully prepared to give him ANOTHER chance if he tore it up.  Hopefully Sandy sees that this guy is not a solution to anything. 

And Parnell is going to have back surgery, with the hope that he will be ready for spring training.  So why exactly did it take this long?  What were the Mets hoping for, that Parnell would be able to pitch in the last two weeks of the season? 

#30 FOREVER!

#1455 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

Metsblog is saying the Yankees could soon be coming to WFAN to replace the Mets

yep. Sounds like something that would happen under the Wilpons watch

http://metsblog.com/...e-mets-on-wfan/

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1456 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

What happens to Howie Rose then? The Mets on the radio wouldn't be the same without him. I love Gary just as much but Howie is basically the voice of the Mets, he's always the stadium voice-over for ceremonies, Opening Day, etc.

2014 schedule came out today, Mets open the season at home vs the Nationals on March 31st: http://newyork.mets....alendar=DEFAULT

Mets and Blue Jays are also playing a couple of exhibition games in Montreal at Olympic Stadium on March 28th and 29th: http://www.sportsnet...montreal-games/

Edited by nmigliore, 10 September 2013 - 01:02 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1457 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Good question about Howie. Who knows since nothing is official yet...but this is typical buffoonery on the part of the Mets. WFAN has a powerful signal, now they're going to be buried on god knows where.

Also WFAN is getting the Yankees just as they're going to begin their decline. Seems like this move is being made 15 years too late. Might as well keep the Mets since the future looks brighter. 

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1458 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

Sucks that the Mets have been on WFAN for a generation and now it's over...especially now that WFAN has FM AND AM signals.  I mean it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they made it to ESPN radio, at least they could join the Jets there :P  But if they wound up on Bloomberg channel like the Isles do it's a joke.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#1459 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

What happens to Howie Rose then? The Mets on the radio wouldn't be the same without him. I love Gary just as much but Howie is basically the voice of the Mets, he's always the stadium voice-over for ceremonies, Opening Day, etc.

2014 schedule came out today, Mets open the season at home vs the Nationals on March 31st: http://newyork.mets....alendar=DEFAULT

Mets and Blue Jays are also playing a couple of exhibition games in Montreal at Olympic Stadium on March 28th and 29th: http://www.sportsnet...montreal-games/

I doubt the baseball play by play guy is tied to the station as much as they are the team, but if they did somehow lose Howie it would make it a hundred times worse.

#1460 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

It's just the ripple effect of the Wilpons idiocy. The Mets helped build WFAN along with Imus. And sure they're losing money on the Mets NOW...but you know what Wilpon needs to step up and ante up to cover the losses. Keep the Mets on the most popular sports talk station in NY because once better days come...it'll be a tremendous boon.

Off the top of my head, I don't even know what station the Yankees play on. Or the Jets for that matter. Once you leave WFAN, you don't exist

I love how the Devils are on WFAN now. It's a powerful signal and gives the team more exposure

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users