1814 replies to this topic

#1521 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hellweg hits Wright in the head, who leaves the game. Of fvcking course. At least he didn't look nearly as shaken as when he was hit by Cain in 2009. 

Then he hits Duda on the next pitch.

The Brewers should be fined for letting this loser even pitch in a game. His control is so bad.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1522 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

lol yeah you called it on Gomez, the borderline star talk early in the season turned out to be premature.

btw Rubin had a blog recently where he polled nine scouts comparing Duda and Ike...I don't think CR'll like the result lol

http://espn.go.com/b...or-duda-in-2014

Personally if I was forced to take one next year (and we probably will be) I'd rather have Ike than Duda - higher upside, better fielder.  I'd rather not have either if I could help it though :P

Yikes, lol.  Can't help but wonder if these scouts are actually watching.  Doofus is now down to .224.  Like I've said, Doofus was handed an absolutely golden opportunity here...if he went on a rampage, I'd still be very skeptical, but I could at least understand it if such a rampage led Sandy to say, "OK, let's see what if he can put together a decent full season in the majors, FINALLY."  But he has done damned near NOTHING. 

I'm going with Ike because I think he's showed signs that he could actually become a pretty good second-place hitter...IF his newfound ability to draw walks is for real (and I admit that that's a massive "IF"), and because he's better defensively.  Of course, if he stays, I doubt that the Mets will bat him second...probably somewhere from fourth to sixth of course, so I should really be trying to ascertain his worth to the Mets based on that.  But I can't make a case for Doofus over Davis.   

It's the old "would you rather have syphilis or gonorrea?" argument...can't say either one exactly excites me.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1523 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

D'Arnaud up to .200 now.  Good for him.  9-for-his-last-26 (.346).  Also drawn 5 walks in that time.  It's not mind-blowing stuff, but it's nice to take with him into the offseason. 

Re:  Gomez, I can't get that excited about his 2012-13 seasons.  Yes, he's done some good things...nice when your CF can hit some dingers, and is a good baserunner who can steal some bases (though it's not like he steals a ton of them).  But here's his body of work over those two years:

281 GP, 940 AB, 150 RS, 255 H, 46 2B, 14 3B, 42 HR, 122 RBI, 55 BB, 242 K, .271 BA, 74-for-87 in stolen base attempts.

.305 OB% in 2012, .333 OB% in 2013. 

And this entire stretch is buoyed by those three months to start off 2013 that he probably won't ever have again, which means, at best, he's probably back to being a .260ish avg/.310ish OB% guy, who strikes out a lot, and for a guy with speed, doesn't hit many doubles.  I just don't see anything here that screams greatness.   

Re:  the incident...not saying McCann was right, but Gomez's actions pretty much ensured that someone was going to confront him...he was being as obnoxious and as big a dick as possible.  If I'm the Braves, I would've just said, "Yeah, whatever, enjoy the offseason, maybe one of these days you'll get back to the playoffs" or something like that, then ignored him.  The Braves have too much at stake to allow themselves to get drawn into a brawl. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 27 September 2013 - 06:51 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1524 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

Just for the hell of it, Earl Weaver from September 1980...back at the Orioles' old Memorial Stadium...wish Terry was like this more often, lol.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rpS-XFXxJvE

#30 FOREVER!

#1525 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

This is even better from Earl (warning: very NSFW): http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QWQbN0jFo_k

You'll laugh your ass off. 

Edited by nmigliore, 27 September 2013 - 09:19 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1526 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

Re:  Gomez, I can't get that excited about his 2012-13 seasons.  Yes, he's done some good things...nice when your CF can hit some dingers, and is a good baserunner who can steal some bases (though it's not like he steals a ton of them). 

Huh? He has 74 SB over the last two years; of qualified hitters, only Mike Trout (82) has more, and Trout has done that with 300+ more PA. Maybe the actual totals don't seem like "a ton" but relative to his peers, which should always be the baseline as opposed to raw numbers, it's enough to rank at the top. He doesn't hit many doubles but he ranks 4th in triples since the start of 2012, and again, that's despite 200-300 less PA than the players above him. He hits plenty of homers, enough to put him in the top 5 at his position. Gomez will never get on base much due his plate approach, no doubt, but there's more to hitting than just getting on base. Gomez excels in these other areas (triples, homers, stealing bases), which really helps him overcome the OBP issues. Add in the fact he plays a premium position and has played it better than any of his brethren, and you get a player that is pretty fantastic.

Gomez is a lot like Adam Jones, widely considered a star player, except with a much better glove in CF. 

Edited by nmigliore, 27 September 2013 - 09:45 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1527 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

Talk of the Mets trading for Tulowitski.  I would actually trade Wheeler, who is really the only thing the Rockies might want.  Still isn't clear what you have with Wheeler (which is the case with any young pitcher), and the everpresent injury risk with pitchers. 

Plus, the Mets might actually be able to get by with a pitching staff without Harvey and Wheeler for next year.  I would actually take a chance on Phil Hughes and other guys that have had trouble giving up homeruns in band box type stadiums, which Citi Field is not. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1528 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

I would trade Wheeler+ in a heartbeat for Tulowitzki. Best SS in baseball, in his prime, pricey but well below-market level contract for his talent. Only knock on him is he always finds a way to get banged up and miss some time, but ~500 PA/year of Tulo is still better than what pretty much every other SS will give you over 600+ PA/year. Other than NY beat writers trying to drum up interest I don't know if he'll actually come available, but if he does, I would LOVE to see the Mets acquire him. 

Edited by nmigliore, 27 September 2013 - 09:53 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1529 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

GP for Tulowitzki the last four seasons:  122, 143, 47, 123. 

Home/away splits aren't too bad for some who plays 81 games a year in Colorado.

Yeah, 120-140 games of Tulowitzki is nothing to sneeze at...you can get by in the other 20-40 games with a Quintanilla type (or someone a little better)...you just hope you can get those 120-140 games out of Tulowitzki.  Would be hard to see Wheeler go for sure, but as we all know, pitchers are such friggin' wild cards when it comes to health. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1530 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Huh? He has 74 SB over the last two years; of qualified hitters, only Mike Trout (82) has more, and Trout has done that with 300+ more PA. Maybe the actual totals don't seem like "a ton" but relative to his peers, which should always be the baseline as opposed to raw numbers, it's enough to rank at the top. He doesn't hit many doubles but he ranks 4th in triples since the start of 2012, and again, that's despite 200-300 less PA than the players above him. He hits plenty of homers, enough to put him in the top 5 at his position. Gomez will never get on base much due his plate approach, no doubt, but there's more to hitting than just getting on base. Gomez excels in these other areas (triples, homers, stealing bases), which really helps him overcome the OBP issues. Add in the fact he plays a premium position and has played it better than any of his brethren, and you get a player that is pretty fantastic.

Gomez is a lot like Adam Jones, widely considered a star player, except with a much better glove in CF. 

Admittedly, when I think "a ton" of stolen bases, I think 50+, but no one really seems to be doing that right now. 

If Gomez could actually hit .280 with a .333 OB% consistently going forward (where he is right now, thanks to the three-month anomaly), I would take him...but he's shown himself to be a .250 avg/.300 OB% guy for most of his career.  I have a feeling he's going to be back down there again next season (and he's even worse than that for long stretches, as we've seen since July 6).  For all of the good things he does when he DOES get on base, he doesn't get on base nearly enough...not enough to be counted on for any kind of consistency YET.

Like I've said, if he becomes a .280+/.330+ type for the remainder of his prime years, I'll take him, even with the God-awful BB-to-K ratio, but he hasn't given me any reason to believe he'll be that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 27 September 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1531 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

I still wouldn't give Wheeler up, even for Tulowitzki (and it will likely cost more than Wheeler) Harvey is a ? right now. If he plays his cards wrong he may miss a significant portion of 2014 AND 2015. So we may be short Wheeler AND Harvey

I feel that we'll be taking Wheeler out of the picture, and ending up with 90 games of Tulo a year.

I'd rather keep the pitching depth and go for Choo in left. Lagares CF. Byrd RF...Peralta SS

Edited by '7', 27 September 2013 - 01:53 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1532 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

Mets lose again. Jays won, which was nice. Right now the Mets are tied for the 9th pick with Toronto and Milwaukee but would pick 10th due to tiebreakers. 

Unless I figured things out wrong, I think the Mets clinch a protected pick if they lose 1 of these final 2 games. 

Edited by nmigliore, 27 September 2013 - 09:38 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1533 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

Per the beat writers TC is coming back on a 2 year extension with an option for 2016.

Not a big surprise here, it's been rumored for awhile that he was coming back and Sandy has been very positive when talking about TC the past month or so.

Also, scratch Hunter Pence off the list of available outfielders this winter - just signed an extension with the Giants, 5/90.

Edited by nmigliore, 28 September 2013 - 02:23 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1534 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

Yeah like someone (CR or 7) said a while back, Collins deserves a shot with an actual major league roster, although who knows if he's even getting that next year.  They didn't completely crap the bed without Harvey and Wright, that's worth something even in meaningless games when you talk about whether the guys play for a manager or not.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 28 September 2013 - 01:37 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1535 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

Re:  Collins, I have mixed feelings.  The one thing I think factors strongly in his favor is that his team always plays hard for him and doesn't give up.  That's a big deal.

When you look at the wins and losses, and consider that they lost both their best pitcher, their closer, and their best hitter for extended periods of time, and that a lot of things didn't go according to plan (like Ike Davis being a complete offensive zilch for the first half of the season AGAIN), you really can make the argument that the Mets actually overachieved.  

The structure of the deal makes sense...I think what it shows is that Sandy expects the Mets will be contending for a World Series by 2016, and Collins will get the next two seasons to show he can manage a contender here, and be more than the caretaker he was originally signed on to be.  If all goes as I think Sandy expects (he and the Wilpons have to do their part, which is iffy), Collins will get an extension after these two seasons...can't see the Mets lame-ducking Collins if the Mets make significant progress in 2014 and 2015.

Re:  the Mets draft position, funny as it sounds, I think Dice K probably screwed up the Mets' plans somewhat...I don't think they ever expected him to pitch as well overall as he wound up pitching.  They probably thought they were getting 1-2 wins out of his slot.

#30 FOREVER!

#1536 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

So long as the Mets get a protected pick I don't really care where they slot in lol...sounds like the only way we don't get a protected pick is to win the final two games.  Estrada-Niese is probably pick 'em tomorrow though.  At least the Brewers have Segura back (good for my fantasy team's championship hopes too :P).

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1537 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

So long as the Mets get a protected pick I don't really care where they slot in lol...sounds like the only way we don't get a protected pick is to win the final two games.  Estrada-Niese is probably pick 'em tomorrow though.  At least the Brewers have Segura back (good for my fantasy team's championship hopes too :P).

I agree, as long as it's protected, but I definitely don't think the Mets thought they'd ever be in danger of losing it when Dice K (and later Harang) joined the rotation.

#30 FOREVER!

#1538 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Re:  Choo, I'm guessing the Mets make a semi-earnest offer, get outbid by someone else, then say, "Well, we tried."  I won't chastise them for it...he's a good player, but not SO good that the Mets should overpay significantly for his services.  Ditto Ellsbury.

#30 FOREVER!

#1539 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Re:  EY, ESPN said it perfectly in their fantasy spin:  After a hot start to his Mets tenure, Young's hitting stats have long since returned to their normal ugliness.  God I hope Sandy doesn't make the same mistake that others have made...thinking EY was a strong performer for the Mets the entire time he was here.  There's a reason it only took Colin McHugh to get him...and why he was DFA'd by the Rockies.  He filled a gap, but his Met career needs to end with the season. 

EDIT:  Even worse, EY is also delusional...Gary Apple reported that EY apparently feels he's proven he can be an everyday player.  Nothing worse than a player who's oblivious to his own sucktitude.

And Apple is yet another guy who hasn't been watching...it has NOT been a terrific season for EY Gary!  Why do people keep extrapolating one hot month into his whole Mets' tenure?  If he's the Mets' starting LF next season, it's going to be borderline disastrous.  A case cannot be made for him...not by anyone who's actually been attention, anyway.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 28 September 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1540 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,557 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Sorry, but a Brewer needs to get plunked before this game is over.  Another ball thrown at Wright's head.  I know Nelson has lost his command completely, Rick Ankiel-style, but enough is enough.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users