1814 replies to this topic

#1541 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Not that this game means anything, but that bottom of the 9th is a microcosm of the Mets luck over the past 7 years. Bases loaded 1 out, David Wright at the plate. 1-0 pitch he reaches for an awful pitch, ball 2...hits off the pitchers glove and right to the 2b for a DP. Game over.

Mets also had a bases loaded 0 out opportunity earlier. Young lines out, Duda swings at a 2-0 pitch on his hands to pop it up, Wright taps out to 3rd.

I can't wait until Atchinson is off this team. Just waste in human form. No movement on his fastballs.

Edited by '7', 28 September 2013 - 06:49 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1542 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

Mets clinch a protected pick! Now let's go out and win on Piazza day tomorrow!
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1543 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Doofus is proving why the Mets need to move on from him on an almost daily basis.  Let him go hit 20 HRs by accident (his raw power dictates that will happen) for some bad team that has nothing to lose.  This guy got enough friggin' chances here.

Wright is what Wright has been for a while now.  You don't build an offense around him.  It leads to a lot of frustration.  He doesn't get it done nearly enough.

Good for the Mets clinching a protected pick.  Not sure why the Mets would make a Sunday during football season Piazza Day, but that's the Mets. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1544 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Doofus is proving why the Mets need to move on from him on an almost daily basis.  Let him go hit 20 HRs by accident (his raw power dictates that will happen) for some bad team that has nothing to lose.  This guy got enough friggin' chances here.

Wright is what Wright has been for a while now.  You don't build an offense around him.  It leads to a lot of frustration.  He doesn't get it done nearly enough.

Good for the Mets clinching a protected pick.  Not sure why the Mets would make a Sunday during football season Piazza Day, but that's the Mets. 

Yea I just sort of realized that too. It really should've been this afternoon. Last day of the season is usually a nice crowd anyway. They could've gotten 45k today and 30k ish tomorrow. Instead they'll get the full house tomorrow and 15 people today. Only the Wilpons could mess something like this up

Wright has been more clutch than usual this season. However that AB was just horrific. I mean you're up 1-0 with a guy that's wild. Wait for your pitch or let him walk you. Why reach for something off the plate? He got too anxious

Edited by '7', 28 September 2013 - 07:19 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1545 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

I know there are some sabes and other numbers that might say something different, but moments like that show why Wright is simply not great.  You're not terribly surprised when he fails in spots like that...more surprised when he doesn't. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1546 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

I'm not going to touch the Wright stuff; it's the same old argument that goes nowhere. If you think Wright is more very good than awesome, so be it; if I haven't convinced you otherwise by now, I doubt I ever will. All I know is I'm very happy he's on our team and I think I can speak for everyone when I say it's great to see him performing like vintage Wright over these last two years. It makes me more optimistic about his aging than how I felt, in, say, 2011. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1547 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

Well I think we're all happy to have him on the team. But it is upsetting to watch him languish and have his prime years wasted as well (couple of unfortunate injuries haven't helped)

He will be 31 this offseason, the pieces have to start being added immediately for a 2015 run. 2 bats have to be added to the outfield this offseason (or 1 OF and 1SS) a decision has to be made at 1st. The bullpen needs some work as well, and it wouldn't kill them to add an arm to the starting rotation. Then we have the Harvey dilemma with TJ surgery or not

This is a big crossroads offseason. If the Mets don't nail it then it will not be a happy ending for Wright in NY.

#1548 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

Yea I just sort of realized that too. It really should've been this afternoon. Last day of the season is usually a nice crowd anyway. They could've gotten 45k today and 30k ish tomorrow. Instead they'll get the full house tomorrow and 15 people today. Only the Wilpons could mess something like this up

Wright has been more clutch than usual this season. However that AB was just horrific. I mean you're up 1-0 with a guy that's wild. Wait for your pitch or let him walk you. Why reach for something off the plate? He got too anxious

That's why.  They were probably worried about having a half-empty stadium on Saturday for Piazza day and being embarassed.  I mean they aren't exactly retiring Mike's number, it's a Mets HOF induction which is like...duh anyway, of course he's a Mets HOF'er lol.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 28 September 2013 - 08:22 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1549 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

I wish they DID retire Big Mike's number. I mean, it's got to happen eventually, probably after he goes into the real Hall of Fame, but it seems silly to wait for that when you're having a ceremony honoring his Met career tomorrow. Oh well. 

---

Mets could finish as high as #7 with their pick now, but would need plenty of help (2 Rockies' wins, 1 Phillies' win, and a Mets' loss tomorrow). All of that probably isn't happening but a Phillies' win (they're up 5-1 in the 8th tonight) and a Mets' loss tomorrow gives them #8 overall in the 2014 Draft.

Edited by nmigliore, 28 September 2013 - 09:04 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1550 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

I don't think they should wait until he goes into the real HOF to retire his number. Piazza was the centerpiece to a memorable Mets resurgence and really one of the greatest of all time at his position

I mean freaking Casey Stengels number was retired (I know, different administration) but all he was is basically a jester in a Mets uniform who is not remembered fondly or as a Mets legend by anyone. Here we are 6 years after his retirement and still no #31 on the wall. That's wrong.

#1551 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

I mean Gil Hodges isn't in the HOF but his number's retired by the Mets (and rightly so) so that shouldn't be the issue.  Everyone knows the pink elephant in the room with Mike, that's why he isn't in Cooperstown yet.  That's probably also what's holding up retiring his number here too :P

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1552 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

This has been such an amazing, tear-jerking ceremony. Very well done.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1553 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

The ceremony was tremendous. And glad to see the Mets pull out a win.

Was at the game...good to see the stadium full...ish (several thousand empties) Won't bitch about the parking situation.

They didn't show a replay, but that blown call on the DP groundout looked atrocious. But did Duda come off the bag?

#1554 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

Rubin already hearing Eric Young could be back as a starter: 

How would the Mets adjust to trading Murphy? Fans may clamor for Wilmer Flores to take over at second base, but the early insider speculation is that Eric Young Jr. most likely would handle the position. 

While not labeling it a mistake to let Jose Reyes walk given the contract he received from the Miami Marlins, Mets execs recognize they have lacked a speed element since his departure. At least, they lacked a speed element until Young arrived in a June 18 trade with the Colorado Rockies for Collin McHugh

So absent another leadoff hitter and deficient in speed throughout the lineup, Young likely is a starter somewhere on the Mets next season -- even though he may be best-suited on a top team as a fourth or fifth outfielder. 

I'm perfectly fine on listening on Murphy; he's solid but there's no way he's some kind of untouchable player. But EY Jr. as his replacement, or as a starter anywhere? That would be ridiculous. I hope this is just all bullsh!t and, at most, Young returns as a utility player. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1555 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

EYJ would be the perfect supersub backup. And we could definitely use his speed on the basepaths late in games where we're trailing or tied. But he's not an everyday player, he's not a leadoff hitter and frankly I'm disappointed the Met could be so stupid to think that he is. Young strikes out way too often and brings zero power to whatever position he plays

Edited by '7', 30 September 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#1556 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

Rubin already hearing Eric Young could be back as a starter: 

I'm perfectly fine on listening on Murphy; he's solid but there's no way he's some kind of untouchable player. But EY Jr. as his replacement, or as a starter anywhere? That would be ridiculous. I hope this is just all bullsh!t and, at most, Young returns as a utility player. 

This is exactly what I'm afraid of...for some reason EY has gotten WAY more mileage out of that first month here than he ever should have, in way too many circles.  If he's being penciled in as a starter next season, then I've lost all respect for Sandy.  Being fast isn't much of a help if you can't get on base to actually use it. 

Check out his August and September numbers (which are damned near identical).  Sub-.240 batting avg.  Sub-.290 OB%.  From the LEADOFF HITTER no less!  Oh yeah, he also has a combined 15 BB and 41 K in those two months.  Sorry Sandy, if you think for a second that you're going to sell us on Eric Young, then you really must think the Met fans are clueless.  We're not.  Like others have noted...want to keep him around as a pinch runner/fifth outfielder-type, fine.  Anything more than that, it's a joke.

http://espn.go.com/m...9/eric-young-jr

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 September 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1557 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Howard Dolgon, who owns Syracuse's American Hockey League affiliate, told the Syracuse Post-Standard that the Mets are a natural partner for the Triple-A Syracuse Chiefs in the International League. 

"Why aren't the Mets here?" Dolgon told the newspaper. "Why are the Mets 3,000 miles away when you could be on SNY and promoting your brand that way? If you are asking me, one of the things that I would do 100 percent is see if those New York Metropolitans are available." 

The Nats are the current Syracuse affiliate, but like the Mets, their player development contract ends after 2014 (I've noted before how this can essentially be like a game of musical chairs). Syracuse would be a fantastic landing spot for the Mets; back in the International League and in NY would be great. Dolgon has no affiliation with the MiLB team, he's basically just stating his opinion, but I agree with him. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1558 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

The Nats are the current Syracuse affiliate, but like the Mets, their player development contract ends after 2014 (I've noted before how this can essentially be like a game of musical chairs). Syracuse would be a fantastic landing spot for the Mets; back in the International League and in NY would be great. Dolgon has no affiliation with the MiLB team, he's basically just stating his opinion, but I agree with him. 

I'm all for getting the Mets out of Vegas...and Syracuse would be great.  No downside to that one...hope it happens.

#30 FOREVER!

#1559 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

Harvey officially will have TJS. 

It sucks, but this is the right call. I would have HATED to see him enter 2014, pitch through a part of it, and THEN need TJS, forcing him to miss parts or all of 2015.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1560 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

Agree, glad they didn't fvck around with this.  2015 it is (hopefully) for Harvey. 

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users