1814 replies to this topic

#1561 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

Well I'm glad, we won't be in limbo in 2014 over Harvey. We have a definite answer.

Only wish he didn't beat around the bush for so long. Surgery could've been done already.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1562 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

Wouldn't have mattered if they did surgery now or last month, the end prognosis is the same anyway.  That's why I'm glad he took the time and wound up accepting this.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1563 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

btw for a little off-topic levity and because I've been dying to post this and don't really know where else to post it that anyone'll care, here's an all-time hilarious Mike Francesa spoof I'm sure at least a couple of you will love (ostensibly what Francesa would have sounded like during the Revolutionary War):

Edited by NJDevs4978, 05 October 2013 - 10:33 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#1564 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

Wow that is amazing. Can't stop laughing. I thought this was funny but that blows it away. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1565 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

God-DAMN, that was hilarious.  This guy absolutely nailed Mike 100%.

I will never understand why Fatso continues to somehow garner ratings.  He is by far and away THE worst radio personality on that station.  I loved how this guy picked up on that idiot's more subtle speech patterns:

Constant use of "I mean" and "you know".

Lousy interviewing skills (constantly interrupts his guests, and tramples over their answers).  Also terrible at interacting with callers. 

Repeats himself constantly.  Does this to make it sound like he's saying something with a lot of words, without really saying much of anything at all. 

In light of all of the above, it's even more laughable that he's often condescending to callers, as Fatso doesn't come off as nearly as intelligent as he seems to think he is. 

The only thing this guy missed was Francesca's Butt-head like "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"s.  I really don't get what ANYONE sees in Fatso...Joe and Evan's show is LIGHT YEARS better, as are others. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1566 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Holy hell that Francesa parody is gold.

CR1976- I used to hate Mike and am kind of annoyed he dismisses hockey until the 2nd round of the playoffs, but he was amazing during Sandy. Keeping thousands of people entertained with sports and doing everything he could to get information from power companies. He is really arrogant and presumptuous but Mike knows his stuff and asks tough questions. He does need to work on his caller interaction though!

#1567 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

Some excerpts from this NY Post article from Reggie Jackson's new book. It's mostly not Mets' related but lots of interesting stuff about Billy Martin and the feuds with Jackson and some other teammates: http://nypost.com/20...sm-in-tell-all/

According to Jackson’s new tell-all, “Becoming Mr. October” (Doubleday), in which he details feuds and resentments toward his old Yankee teammates, the New York media and especially his old manager Billy Martin, the only reason he did not become a Met was because his girlfriend, Juanita Campos, was Hispanic.

Jackson recalls how his coach at Arizona State, Bobby Winkles, broke the bad news.

“A day or two before the draft, Bobby Winkles sat me down and told me, ‘You’re probably not gonna be the No. 1 pick. You’re dating a Mexican girl, and the Mets think you will be a problem,’ ” Jackson writes. “ ‘They think you’ll be a social problem because you are dating out of your race.’ ”

Jackson was especially baffled because he’s part Hispanic — his grandmother is from Puerto Rico and his middle name is Martinez. But that didn’t matter, even to the perennial cellar-dwelling Mets.

“No, you’re colored, and they don’t want that,” Winkles said.

Jackson wishes he could have been directly inspired by Mets’ veterans and managers of that era, including the late Gil Hodges, whose team won the 1969 World Series, and Yogi Berra, who managed the overachieving 1973 squad. “Unlike Billy Martin, Yogi didn’t need to be the star all the time,” he notes. “He already was the star.”

His desire to have been a Met comes off as almost romantic. “I think about that sometimes. I would’ve been coming up just as that team was finally improving. They had all those great arms: Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Jon Matlack, Nolan Ryan, Tug McGraw. Oh boy!”

Jackson recounts a litany of Martin’s evils, including anti-Semitism Martin directed toward a player Jackson doesn’t name but who is clearly Yankee pitcher Ken Holtzman.

“I was standing near the bat rack early in spring training, and I heard some of the worst anti-Semitic remarks and jokes directed at one of our own players. This went on far too often,” writes Jackson. “When this player was pitching and doing well, he was ‘the great lefty.’ When he wasn’t, it was the name of his ethnic group and religion, ‘the Jew.’ ”

Just after reliever Goose Gossage joined the Yankees in 1978, they played a spring-training game against the Texas Rangers. Gossage was about to pitch to a rookie outfielder named Billy Sample when Martin told him, “Hit this blankety-blank in the head” for no apparent reason.

Gossage refused, telling him, “Sample never did anything to me. I’m not gonna fight your fights,” then added, “I hit Sample in the head, I could kill him.” Martin replied, “I don’t give a s–t if you do kill him!”

“He called Gossage every name in the book. A really vile tirade,” Jackson writes. “Martin never got over him refusing to hit Sample during a spring-training game. From then on, Goose and Billy had no relationship.”

Increasingly, Martin derived personal glee from humiliating his star free agent. After a ball dropped between Jackson and second baseman Randolph during a game, Martin went to the mound to make a pitching change.

Both the pitcher, Mike Torrez, and Munson later said that as he did, he told Torrez, “Watch this . . . I’m gonna go get that son of a bitch,” then shocked Jackson by removing him from the game as well.

The screaming that followed between the two on the dugout steps concluded with Jackson telling him, “You are not a man,” Martin threatening to kick his butt by replying, “I’ll show you whether I’m a man or not,” and Jackson saying, “If you think you’re gonna kick my butt, you must be crazy” as he walked away.

“He knew he was acting. He didn’t want to take me on,” Jackson writes. “It would’ve been like ordering an ice-cream cone and getting a whole gallon.”

Edit: sorry for the poor formatting; this board's quoting feature is seriously the worst.

Edited by nmigliore, 07 October 2013 - 08:55 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1568 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

Yeah it's been public knowledge after the fact that George Weiss (running the Mets at that time) was a racist during the Yankees' great years and slow to integrate there so it doesn't surprise me that's why they passed on Reggie.

Billy Martin, yeesh.  Could you imagine him managing in this era?  He wouldn't have lasted two seasons.  Great baseball mind when sober but his demons would have been too much for the PC, 24/7 news society we're in now.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 07 October 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#1569 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Holy hell that Francesa parody is gold.

CR1976- I used to hate Mike and am kind of annoyed he dismisses hockey until the 2nd round of the playoffs, but he was amazing during Sandy. Keeping thousands of people entertained with sports and doing everything he could to get information from power companies. He is really arrogant and presumptuous but Mike knows his stuff and asks tough questions. He does need to work on his caller interaction though!

The funny thing, Mike DOESN'T know nearly as much as he thinks he does, and when he's proven wrong about something, he just glosses over it or dismisses is, as though it never happened.  It'd be nice if he actually showed a sense of humor about himself from time-to-time...if someone mentioned the 1776 spoof to him, all he'd have to say is "Yeah, saw it, it's pretty funny, the guy was pretty good."  But instead, he'll probably blab about how he's been doing this forever, how great his ratings are, blah blah blah.   

I'm not saying he's Satan...you are right, he was terrific during Sandy...it's not like he's all bad.  But I do think there are hosts on that station who are much better listens than Mike...much more down-to-earth.  There's a reason why Mike has a rep as being a pompous know-it-all, and it's ironic that he's a know-it-all, mostly because he's such a poor speaker who isn't particularly great at putting sentences together...he doesn't come off as a terribly bright guy himself. 

He is very quick to dismiss callers too...the other hosts, if the caller is trying to make a reasonable point, will at least engage the caller for a minute or so.  Mike often gives a short nothing answer, even to guys with something worthwhile to say.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1570 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Mets made some 40-man cuts today, among them was Mike Baxter who was claimed by the Dodgers.

Never forget The Catch: http://wapc.mlb.com/...1940177&c_id=ml

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1571 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

Sean Henn, Robert Carson and Greg Burke are also gone.  Carson was also claimed by the Dodgers:

http://risingapple.c...-40-man-roster/

More bodies will be following shortly.

#30 FOREVER!

#1572 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Mets moving to WOR:

The Mets are “close to a deal” with Clear Channel Media to be broadcast on WOR (710 AM), according to Neil Best of Newsday and Bob Raissman of the New York Daily News.

Howie Rose is expected to move to the new station, though “it’s less clear” if Josh Lewin will join him, Best writes.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1573 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

http://espn.go.com/c...e-abreu-reports

Evan and Joe went off on Sandy today, saying this is a deal that Sandy should pursued, and both feel that he's not going to do much of anything, that he's completely non-creative, and that this offseason is going to be full of disappointment.  I remain optimistic, but at the same time, I can't say that I see Passive doing as much as many Met fans will hope for. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1574 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Abreu would have been an intriguing add but at the same time he's a 1B/DH type with zero experience in American ball. There is a lot of unknown and plenty of downside there to be investing ~$70M into. I'm all for getting on Sandy for being too passive, but not so much here.

Edited by nmigliore, 18 October 2013 - 06:04 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1575 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Abreu would have been an intriguing add but at the same time he's a 1B/DH type with zero experience in American ball. There is a lot of unknown and plenty of downside there to be investing ~$70M into. I'm all for getting on Sandy for being too passive, but not so much here.

To tell you the truth, I was kind of surprised that they both were so upset about Sandy not getting involved on this one...I thought this was a huge risk on the White Sox's part. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1576 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

Marlon Byrd is signing with the Phillies for 2 years. I would've liked him back for 2/16ish but we'll see what the terms are. There's also the chance he completely falls apart again, so yeah, I'm not going to cry either way.

The Mets have been connected heavily to Granderson and Peralta so far, which I'm okay with. Alderson basically shot down any possibility of pursuing Ellsbury or Choo. Sure seems like they will go the strategy of pursuing mid-tier types like Granderson, Peralta, maybe Corey Hart for 1B, etc. I'd be happy signing those three and trading Ike or Duda to an AL team, maybe the Rays for Matt Joyce. Josh Johnson and Scott Kazmir are by far my favorite 2 starting pitchers to pursue. 

Edited by nmigliore, 12 November 2013 - 11:22 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1577 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Marlon Byrd is signing with the Phillies for 2 years. I would've liked him back for 2/16ish but we'll see what the terms are. 

The Mets have been connected heavily to Granderson and Peralta so far, which I'm okay with. Alderson basically shot down at possibility of pursuing Ellsbury or Choo.

Admittedly, it's easy to go into "Here we go again with the fvcking Wilpons, thinking small as always", and Sandy's passive, meek nature as the Met GM makes it even easier, but I think both Ellsbury and Choo are going to be overpaid for what they are.  I can't kill Sandy for not throwing his hat into those rings, and at least they're not going to do the half-assed "well we tried" crap. 

I would've liked Byrd back too, but it would've been risky.  I'd like to see the terms too.

Boomer and Carton said it perfectly...basically said that if the Mets then say that Granderson is too rich for their blood, then they're a joke.  I actually don't have a problem with the Mets not going too crazy with signings this year, with Harvey being out for the season, and the FA crop this season is not great, meaning there will be overpayments.  But if nothing is happening next offseason, I am going to be furious.  Hopefully, at the very least, the Mets will have a pitching staff that does its job well enough that they don't necessarily have to go out and get huge bats. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1578 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

And I know this isn't Met-related, but what a complete joke:

http://espn.go.com/m...2017-mayor-says

How the fvck can a stadium that the Braves have been playing in for a whopping 16 seasons already be obsolete?  Especially when renovations were made in 2005.  I know the "Ted' got kind of meh reviews when it opened, but it's not like the Kingdome, which was a trainwreck upon its opening.  I just think knocking down a decent ballpark after roughly 20 years of play is ridiculous. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1579 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

$16M over 2 years for Byrd, which is exactly what I expected. I would've been totally fine with that but again, there's enough risk there that I won't lose sleep over it. In a maybe-good-way, it also prevents the front office from bringing Byrd back and claiming he's their "big get" in the outfield. Byrd would have been a nice re-addition, but more so as a complimentary piece to another player.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1580 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Deal is fair, for sure, but is really contingent on Byrd performing at close to last year's level.  Playing in the Phillie bandbox should be nice for his power numbers (if he gets off to a hot start for the Phils, and the Mets start slow, there's going to be plenty o' bitching on the WFAN and just about everywhere else for that matter). 

And one thing Sandy needs to stop doing is being a smart ass in the papers.  It wasn't funny when he did little with the outfield last year, despite it being a glaring need.  He got very lucky with Byrd having a "from out of nowhere" season, and EY playing over his head for a while, otherwise that outfield could've been an expansion team-type disaster.  And now he's cracking jokes about his financial situation, basically saying all the Mets have is a stack of five-dollar bills to spend, and that the stack isn't very high.

Hey Sandy, if you don't want the job, or don't think you can do it...then get the fvck out.  There's GMs who find ways to get it done and be competitive under payroll restraints.   

Like I've said, I don't have a problem with him not overpaying the top FAs of a meh class, and I can even live with another 75-win type season, provided guys like Syndergaard and Montero show progress and get their feet wet next season, but I get the feeling that Passive is going to try to sell us on a full season of EY, and how Duda still has potential, hey Furcal can help us, blah blah blah.  I just have a hunch that this team is coming back more or less intact, with very slight improvements. 

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users