1814 replies to this topic

#141 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Well anyone can get hit around in that bandbox against that lineup though I was worried when I heard Gee had been tatooed after what you'd said about his velocity last week.  Glad to hear that wasn't a big factor at least.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#142 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

This was just a bad matchup for us. Lee was dealing for the most part (we did hit some hard at'em balls though) and Gee was in full deer in headlights mode. Gee against this lineup is just a recipe for disaster

Buck keeps raking

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#143 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Yeah, not going to make a big deal about Gee, that ballpark is silly, and it's one bad game.  The Mets' starting pitching had been terrific to that point...they were due for a clunker, and Gee's going to be a 4 or 5 type anyway if all goes according to plan. 

I just thought Collins should've gotten him out of there earlier in that third...Gee clearly had nothing.  I probably would've gotten him out of there after the second dinger, and definitely after the third.  I'm not going to harp on Collins' moves too much though...he was really hired to be a stopgap manager, until the Mets were ready to contend again.  There's enough "ifs" in place that, if everything broke right, the Mets have a slight chance at the upper-70s in terms of win totals, but like we've all said, lower 70s is probably where they wind up, which will give the Mets their excuse not to re-sign Collins.  If the Mets wind up with a win total pushing 80, it would be interesting to see if they were open to the idea of retaining Collins, even if that wasn't in their original plans. 

Re:  Buck...I'd have to search through his game logs, but he's probably never had an 8-game burst like this in his MLB career...which means he has a shot at a career year, if he simply has a typical Buck year from here on out, though it's hard to fathom that D'Arnaud won't be up here before too long, which would start taking away ABs from him.  How great would it be if Buck was hitting, say, in the .270s with 10+ dingers and 40+ or so RBI a week before the trading deadline?  If the Mets are willing to pick up most (if not all) of what's left on his deal, maybe they get a contender to cough up a low-to-mid level prospect.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 10 April 2013 - 07:24 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#144 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

TC was probably reluctant to pull him because the bullpen was just used pretty heavily on Sunday, that and the Mets don't have a true longman type out there. Unfortunately TC seems to have identified the side-arming/should-be-a-matchup-guy Greg Burke as his defacto longman, which I don't like. His arm will probably fall off if the Mets keep using him like that; he's thrown nearly 70 pitches over the last three days.

Edited by nmigliore, 10 April 2013 - 07:55 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#145 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I just didn't like seeing Gee being left out there...I know sometimes you have to suck it up for the team/bullpen, but there's a difference between battling through a "meh" day and having absolutely nothing.  It's not that big a deal...I just felt bad for him. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#146 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Not pretty for Wheeler so far in his two AAA starts, though the ERA is decent at 3.12.  The rest of the numbers aren't so good:

2 starts, 8.2 IP, 11 H, 6 R (3 ER), 6 BB, 9 K, 1.96 WHIP

I'm guessing he'll be here before the season's over, barring injury or disaster, but clearly he could still use more seasoning. 

#30 FOREVER!

#147 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Were either of the starts at home? I know Vegas is supposed to be a bandbox, that's a big part of the reason I'd have been okay with him coming to the Mets now, don't really want him being messed up by the AAA Coors.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#148 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Were either of the starts at home? I know Vegas is supposed to be a bandbox, that's a big part of the reason I'd have been okay with him coming to the Mets now, don't really want him being messed up by the AAA Coors.

That league in general is a disaster...that's why me, nmig, and many other Mets fans don't like the fact that the Mets' AAA team is now in Vegas.  Teams finish with .300 BAs in the PCL, and team ERA are often 5.00 or higher.  I'm hoping Zach is here by midseason, just to get him out of there.   

Both starts were road starts (Sacramento and Fresno). 

#30 FOREVER!

#149 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

They were both road starts and Sacramento is actually one of the more pitcher-friendly parks in the PCL. I watched last night and he was better than the previous outing. Much better command of his breaking stuff. Still walked one too many and Fresno put some good swings on him; it happens. But yeah, no reason he can't get more seasoning there. 

re: AAA - Las Vegas is a horrible spot because the park is one of the better hitter's parks in all of minor league baseball, the league in general is very offense-heavy, and the location blows for whose MLB affiliate is on the east coast. The sooner they get out of there, the better. Like I said before, it's too bad Buffalo didn't work out better, it was such a great fit.

Edited by nmigliore, 10 April 2013 - 12:59 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#150 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

you really can't go into Philly with POS pitchers like Hefner and Gee and expect to win. At home...maybe. But on the road they'll get killed

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#151 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Get Hefner off this team. 5.00 era last year now this? Hurry back Marcum so we don't need to see this piece of crap again

#152 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Looks like another bullpen game with TC pulling Hefner after just 3 innings, oof. Rain delay happening right now though.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#153 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

WOW Murphy with a baserunning blunder that costs the Mets a run. Are you kidding me?
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#154 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

you really can't go into Philly with POS pitchers like Hefner and Gee and expect to win. At home...maybe. But on the road they'll get killed

Gee should hopefully be a solid 4/5 as his career progresses, provided he can stay healthy.  He had a nice stretch of effectiveness last season before he got hurt.  Just remember that Gee isn't projected to be a top-of-the-rotation guy.

Unfortunately, when you're rebuilding, you have to deal with stopgap chum like Hefner for a season or two.  I don't let him bother me too much, because he's not going to be here when the Mets are ready to contend, and I'd rather have a young, cheap, no-talent guy like Hefner than a bad contract, past-his-prime guy who will turn in roughly the same performance.

When the Braves were rebuilding way back in the day, they had a guy named Marty Clary in their rotation, who clearly didn't figure into the Braves' long-term plans...just like Hefner, he was a young, cheap stopgap, until the real guns were ready to go.  It means we're stuck watching a guy we know isn't any good, but it's only temporary.  Hopefully in a couple of years, as the Mets are contending and Harvey, Wheeler, and Niese are doing their thing, we're barely remember the Hefners.

#30 FOREVER!

#155 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

Gee should hopefully be a solid 4/5 as his career progresses, provided he can stay healthy.  He had a nice stretch of effectiveness last season before he got hurt.  Just remember that Gee isn't projected to be a top-of-the-rotation guy.

Unfortunately, when you're rebuilding, you have to deal with stopgap chum like Hefner for a season or two.  I don't let him bother me too much, because he's not going to be here when the Mets are ready to contend, and I'd rather have a young, cheap, no-talent guy like Hefner than a bad contract, past-his-prime guy who will turn in roughly the same performance.

When the Braves were rebuilding way back in the day, they had a guy named Marty Clary in their rotation, who clearly didn't figure into the Braves' long-term plans...just like Hefner, he was a young, cheap stopgap, until the real guns were ready to go.  It means we're stuck watching a guy we know isn't any good, but it's only temporary.  Hopefully in a couple of years, as the Mets are contending and Harvey, Wheeler, and Niese are doing their thing, we're barely remember the Hefners.

you're right, though I suppose some of my anger had to do with losing 2 in philly right after Harvey confidently mowed those chumps down. And then we're forced to watch Gee and Hefner just be noncompetitive...if these games were in San Fran or Pitt I doubt I'd care as much.

#156 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

you're right, though I suppose some of my anger had to do with losing 2 in philly right after Harvey confidently mowed those chumps down. And then we're forced to watch Gee and Hefner just be noncompetitive...if these games were in San Fran or Pitt I doubt I'd care as much.

If Gee struggles long term, I'd be concerned, because I think the Mets are hopeful with him.  Hefner...whatever.  It does suck, in that the Mets are basically punting away games Hefner starts, but the Mets punted on this season a while ago.  2013 is preparation for the guys who are going to be here in 2014 and beyond.  The Hefner-types will be filtered out by 2015. 

#30 FOREVER!

#157 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

Looks like another bullpen game with TC pulling Hefner after just 3 innings, oof. Rain delay happening right now though.

Only 68 pitches...might as well have him stay for 40 more and lose this game 15-3. I don't like that Edgin was burned again...the Mets really had no chance after the 1st inning. 

But nice to see Duda hit a few home runs, and Buck stays hot. One thing this team has had no issue with is hitting the longball. And all this without Wright going deep once and with Ike in his early season slump. I think Duda will hit 20 this year.

As for the Murphy blunder. I've actually accepted that these kind of brain farts are ingrained within the franchise and we'll just have to live with them. I don't remember this happening as much under Valentine or Howe for that matter (even though we were also bad under Howe) but it's alarming that this epidemic has lasted past the Minaya/Bernazard era

#158 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

So what's with all of this Wheeler and D'Arnaud for Giancarlo talk I'm seeing on Facebook? I mean I know it's just rampant speculation, or people trying to spark conversations, but apparently it originated in a Daily News article.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#159 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

So what's with all of this Wheeler and D'Arnaud for Giancarlo talk I'm seeing on Facebook? I mean I know it's just rampant speculation, or people trying to spark conversations, but apparently it originated in a Daily News article.

It's just all BS, as far as rumors go. Basically just some Met executive that said he'd move those two for Stanton and it got blown way out of proportion.

Edited by nmigliore, 11 April 2013 - 08:28 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#160 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Not even an exec with any power lol.  But hey it's not as if it's unprecedented for us to pick the Marlins' bones (Piazza, Leiter, Delgado, etc).

Edited by NJDevs4978, 11 April 2013 - 08:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users