1814 replies to this topic

#1581 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

This is good news...would love to see Syndergaard get about as much time as Wheeler did in the majors last season:

http://newyork.cbslo...-on-fast-track/

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1582 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Astros, Brewers, Orioles, Rays and Rockies have all inquired with the Mets about Ike Davis, CBSSports.com reported. 

The Mets expect to trade a first baseman -- Davis or Lucas Duda -- this offseason, and team officials appear to prefer dealing Davis. 

One team official said this week a half-dozen teams have at least expressed interest. The official added that the Mets could wait until deeper into the offseason to trade a first baseman, when free-agent prices and availability prompt more teams to investigate trades.

I'm 100% for trading Ike and/or Duda, but I'm not expecting much in return. I know I threw out a possible Matt Joyce-for-Ike Davis swap, which would be nice, but that seems more like the best outcome. But anyway, it's still good to see they are drumming up interest.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1583 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

I really don't want to see Doofus in a Met uniform ever again...the guy hits some home runs and draws some walks, but simply isn't any good.  He's had multiple chances to build off 2011, and hasn't done it.  Sandy needs to move on from him...don't even try to sell me on him Sandy. 

Ike is intriguing from the standpoint that he started getting on base like crazy once he came back up.  That's not necessarily what could make him valuable (the Mets need him to hit, and with power), but I would give him one more chance, just to see if he can put it together from the beginning of the season.  I'm pretty sure any team that is interested in Davis is looking to buy as low as possible...the Mets would basically be giving him away.  I could live with that if Doofus wasn't the other option.  Either option isn't exactly ideal, but I feel like Doofus has zero upside.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 November 2013 - 11:13 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1584 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Scott Boras trying to be clever and failing miserably:

http://espn.go.com/m...-houston-astros

I know this tool is very good at his job, strictly from a "get my client as much $$$ as possible standpoint, at the expense of everything else", but he's just such a DICK.  Sorry Scott, not every organization is stupid for not falling over themselves to sign your clients to absurd dollars.  Yes, the Mets have gotten their fair share of deserved criticism lately, but does this ass think cracking jokes will get the Mets to say "Geez, Scott's making astronaut jokes, we'd better overpay for his client immediately?"  fvck Boras.

#30 FOREVER!

#1585 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Spend less time on the radio and more time improving the team Sandy.  No one is going to believe a word you say until you deliver...both you and the Wilpons have done nothing to earn the trust of Mets fans.  End of story. 

http://www.newsday.c...thing-1.6445885

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 16 November 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1586 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

I'm so tired of Alderson's shtick. He loves talking up a big offseason game and cracking jokes, most of which are a shot at his OWN TEAM. Just shut up already and put words into action. He deserves kudos for a few trades (Beltran, Dickey), contract extensions (Dickey, Niese), and squeaking great value out of Byrd for pennies, but otherwise his tenure has been incredibly passive/boring/uncreative. Are we sure we aren't in the same place with some run of the mill GM at the helm after Omar was canned? (Oh yeah, friendly reminder that Harvey was an Omar-era pick). It's clearly not all his fault given the mess Omar made and the Wilpons' tightening purse strings, but still, I expected more. Maybe this offseason will finally shed some light and make me look foolish for questioning Sandy's abilities to GM a team in this day/age.

Edited by nmigliore, 16 November 2013 - 02:55 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1587 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,991 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

Alderson seems coldly detached from the plight of the Mets fan...he really doesn't know how deep it cuts when he cracks jokes about money or last years "what outfield" sometimes it seems like he's basically acting like this is a retirement gig for him and he really doesn't give a sh!t if the ships gets turned around or sinks. I just wish he was more in touch and realize that there are thousands of fans who make large financial investments in this team...and you can't have the GM insulting the franchise and its current state of affairs

Can anybody here imagine Lou going "What offense?" or "yea another crowd like Friday and we'll have to start curtaining off the entire upper deck"

No! Because he treats the logo with respect, while Sandy walks all over.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1588 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Sandy is starting to strike me as a guy that doesn't have a whole lot of passion for being the Met GM (for all of their flaws, I do believe that Omar Minaya and Steve Phillips at least had THAT)...I wonder if he ever really did...not like he was all that thrilled about taking the job to begin with.  Clearly, the Met GM job isn't an easy one, and it comes with serious challenges...starting with dealing with the incompetents who own the team (and aren't going anywhere). 

But if Sandy has reached that stage in his life where he's not really interested in giving any more of himself than he has to, and doesn't have that much energy...then quit.  If you're as unhappy in your job as you seem to be (does a guy taking shots at his franchise and cracking lame jokes really seem like someone who really wants to be here?), then just go.   

Not going to give Sandy major kudos for the Beltran, Dickey, or Byrd.  Beltran was playing well enough and had a good enough rep and track record that Sandy was going to get something of significance for him.  Dickey had a career year at just the right time...Cy Young Award winners are going to also bring back a nice return...basically, Sandy was able to cash in on two teams that were in "Go for it" mode.   

Byrd was complete blind luck...a what-the-hell stopgap move that actually paid dividends.  No way Sandy dreamed he'd do anything close to what he did. 

nmig stated it perfectly...very little creativity and excitement in the Alderson era.  Much more meek, passive and "woe is me" more than anything else.

#30 FOREVER!

#1589 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

Everyone knew Sandy was kind of nudged into the job by Bud to turn the Mets around.  He hasn't done it, and I don't know how long the statute on him staying lasts but it's not like he doesn't have capable lieutenants with GM experience (DiPodesta, the other guy who was the Jays' GM) that would be able to take over.

7 had a pretty good contrast with Lou/Sandy.  Sandy's as tone-deaf as the Wilpons are.  

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1590 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

Everyone knew Sandy was kind of nudged into the job by Bud to turn the Mets around.  He hasn't done it, and I don't know how long the statute on him staying lasts but it's not like he doesn't have capable lieutenants with GM experience (DiPodesta, the other guy who was the Jays' GM) that would be able to take over.

7 had a pretty good contrast with Lou/Sandy.  Sandy's as tone-deaf as the Wilpons are.  

In defense of Sandy, his plan was never a quick-fix one, and he did inherit a mess (and had some bad luck, like Santana breaking down, and now Harvey being out for 2014) so I can't get on him for the team not having contended with him as GM to date.  His original plan called for patience. 

But his public behavior this season and last is inexcusable...no other way to put it.  His quotes are terrible (what the fvck kind of salesman are you Sandy?!), and like nmig said, don't talk the big fvcking game if you can't deliver.  I think most Met fans are actually being pretty fair...I think most of them were not ticked off that the Mets aren't going to add $100 millon deals to the 2014-and-beyond payroll.  I think we're fine with some mid-tier signings that make sense and have the potential to get the Mets to low-to-mid 80s win totals...if the focus is on 2015 to REALLY try to go for it, and possibly THEN add a big contract, with 2014 being a building block, I can get behind that.

But I feel like there's a better than 50-50 shot that Sandy will be telling us he was in on the guys he was "targeting", he really was, right until the end...but in the end, he just couldn't make it happen.  Then he'll try to tell us how EY solidified the leadoff spot (even though he really didn't...he was lousy after his first month as a Met), and he'll talk up how Syndergaard might be a mid-season call-up, and how D'Arnaud wil be getting his first full MLB season, blah blah blah.

Sandy will make SOME moves, but I'm starting to get the sinking feeling they'll be more lateral, stop-gap, what-the-hell moves, and though Byrd was a nice story, those kind of moves don't usually pay off that handsomely.  I really hope Sandy proves me wrong, but I have almost no confidence in him to get anything truly productive done.      

#30 FOREVER!

#1591 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

LOL:

Robinson Cano a Met? It sounds outlandish on the surface, but Cano put his best man on the job Monday night.

Yes, it turns out Jay Z is as hands-on as promised. So hands-on he’s willing to shop his client across the RFK Bridge into Flushing.

The hip-hop impresario joined Mets COO Jeff Wilpon, general manager Sandy Alderson and assistant general manager John Ricco for dinner at a posh Manhattan hotel to discuss Cano’s free agency, two sources familiar with the situation told The Post. Cano’s group, which also featured agents Brodie Van Wagenen and Juan Perez, initiated the meeting; Cano himself didn’t attend.

Alderson doesn't want to hand out any $100M contracts, so we'll meet with the agent of Robinson Cano, the likely $200M man. Okay, then. In fairness, it was arrange by Cano's reps, not the Mets, and it would be stupid to turn it down, I suppose. But this will just continue the usual: build up expectations and act like you were seriously in on every big name player only to walk away with scrap like David Murphy, Nate McLouth, Clint Barmes, and Bronson Arroyo. Yawn. 

Edited by nmigliore, 19 November 2013 - 09:12 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1592 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

Waste of time, unless the Mets are trying to be stealthy about the amount of money they really do have to spend (which we know they're not). 

Arroyo actually wouldn't be that bad of a pickup...he competes, and he's put up ERAs of 3.74 and 3.79 the past two seasons (26-22 record), while pitching in a bandbox to boot, and he never misses a start.  Wouldn't be a bad "hold the fort" type for a year, until Harvey comes back.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1593 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

Mets add four to 40-man roster:

http://espn.go.com/b...o-40-man-roster

DeGrom, who as the article states, gets overlooked with all of the attention paid to Syndergaard and Montero.  Didn't exactly have "Wow!"-type numbers overall last season, but pitched decently in Vegas (didn't give up a lot of HRs, had decent control).  Could get a shot if some arms aren't ready to go in spring training, or if some arms go on the DL during the year...based on last season, that's an excellent possibility. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1594 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

DeGrom, Walters, and Matz were all must-adds. There was apparently some debate as to whether Matz would be added, which is weird considering he's the best LHP prospect in the system and would've certainly been scooped up fast in the Rule 5 Draft, but thankfully they didn't screw that up. 

The team doesn't have any open spots on their 40-man but there is plenty of dead weight to come off; possibly one of Ike or Duda with a trade, Quintanilla, Valdespin, Atchison, Nieuwenhuis, Lutz. Harvey and Hefner will also be 60-day DL'd eventually.

Edited by nmigliore, 21 November 2013 - 08:08 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1595 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Yeah, Mets were doing this for Rule 5 protection.  Makes sense. 

And yeah, there are bodies on the 40-man that don't have much business being there...some of them will be gone.

#30 FOREVER!

#1596 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,991 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

Mets have signed outfielder Chris Young formerly of the A's. 1 year deal

http://www.amazinave...l-contract-sign

Has speed and some pop. But his avg and obp have been in a steady slide since 2010. 4th outfielder type.

7.25 million. ick

Edited by '7', 22 November 2013 - 10:11 AM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1597 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Wow, that's awesome.

fvck the Wilpons.

http://www.amazinave..._campaign=blogs

#30 FOREVER!

#1598 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

I like the Young signing. He was top 20 in OF fWAR from 2010-2012. He's only 30. Silly to write off a player based on 375 PA with a .237 BABIP in one year. My biggest fear with this is the role he's used in. Ideally he's a short-side platoon player in a corner OF or a starter/insurance policy to Lagares in CF. If the Mets try to push him as an everyday player in a corner, we got problems. 

Edited by nmigliore, 22 November 2013 - 11:04 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1599 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

I like the Young signing. He was top 20 in OF fWAR from 2010-2012. He's only 30. Silly to write off a player based on 375 PA with a .237 BABIP in one year. My biggest fear with this is the role he's used in. Ideally he's a short-side platoon player in a corner OF or a starter/insurance policy to Lagares in CF. If the Mets try to push him as an everyday player in a corner, we got problems. 

I think that might be where this is going.  Sandy hoping Young somehow becomes Byrd 2.0. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1600 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

Yeah it also seems unlikely Sandy would blow $7M+ on a platoon player. So for now I'm in wait-and-see with this move. I like the idea of signing Young in general, but the role they have in mind for him is what will make or break my opinion on it. Starting CF over Lagares, sure. Short-side platoon player, sure. Starting corner outfielder? No thanks. The idea of he and Lagares making up 2/3 of the outfield would be scary. 

The Mets keep getting linked to Nelson Cruz, which is a disaster waiting to happen. There is an ENDLESS list of red flags there. I'm pretty much finished with Sandy if he signs him.

Edited by nmigliore, 22 November 2013 - 11:24 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users