1814 replies to this topic

#1621 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

Peralta officially signing with St. Louis and Dan Haren, one of my favorite starters available, signs for 1/10 with the Dodgers. Ugh.

I'd look into Bartolo Colon, but I don't get the feeling we'll do much searching for a starter. Sandy will probably sign some cheap rotation filler and spend whatever resources they have on hitters.

Edited by nmigliore, 24 November 2013 - 11:33 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1622 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

He finished the season OK...but didn't Haren carry a 5+ era into September? And he wasn't all that great the year prior either. And he will be 34. Sure the contract is only 1 year, but 10 mil a pretty hefty payday.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1623 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

Haren was basically replacement level by runs allowed last year but I liked him because of his defensive-independent numbers (slightly above average xFIP in 2013 and at least one project system was very optimistic on his 2014 outlook). The difference in actual results vs process is almost certainly why he only got 1/10; well, that and the fact he loves the west coast. 

It's probably all moot anyway since Sandy basically admitted pitching won't be much of a priority but I'd seriously look into Colon. Age might be a major turn off to some but as evident to 2013, he's still very good (if a bit overrated) and shouldn't require anything more than a 1 or 2 year deal. I'd be comfortable giving him a similar deal to what Tim Hudson got.

I hate the idea of acting like our starting pitching is "fine"; it wasn't great last year (18th in FIP-based WAR, 19th in runs allowed-based WAR), and that was with an incredible season from Harvey, who won't throw a single pitch in 2014. Niese and Gee pitched much better in the 2nd half to restore my confidence in them, but Niese-Wheeler-Gee and two question marks makes me very uneasy. Montero is right on the cusp of ready and Syndergaard shouldn't be far behind but they are still just pitching prospects, and for all we know, one could be used in a trade to fill another hole on the roster. I wouldn't let either of them, or Mejia or DeGrom for that matter, get in the way of acquiring a legitimate starter a la Colon. 

Edited by nmigliore, 25 November 2013 - 12:02 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1624 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

At this rate nmig, I'm accepting that "That 70s Show" (70-79 wins) is going to go on for one last season.  To me, that means if the Mets can't get any of these Colon, Arroyo, Hughes types on one-year deals only, then I'm probably going to take a pass.  I might be willing to go two for Arroyo.  Don't forget Mejia is in the mix too...next year might be a good "Sort out the young arms" season. 

Who are the key FAs of 2015?  Is that class going to be better than 2014?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 25 November 2013 - 08:10 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1625 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

I didn't forget Mejia, he's listed in my post, but he has serious durability concerns. For all we know the Mets might just bring him back as a reliever, and if not, he still just takes up 1 out of 2 open rotation spots. I'm not saying go out and blow 5 years on Matt Garza (easily one of the most overrated free agents on the market, I might add) or Ervin Santana, but there has been some solid arms signing short-term deals like Tim Hudson, Dan Haren, Josh Johnson, and likely Bartolo Colon and Scott Kazmir in the near future. It's the best of both worlds: you get what projects as a pretty decent pitcher and avoid committing anything beyond 2 years. No reason you couldn't give Mejia and one of those starters the two open rotation spots.

re: Arroyo - never been a fan, but after Jason Vargas got 4 years I'd be surprised if he didn't find a 3 year deal somewhere. 

Edited by nmigliore, 25 November 2013 - 09:40 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1626 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Sorry nmig, my mistake, re: Mejia.  Yeah, I agree he's iffy at best...even if he got through an entire season healthy, I'd still be very leery. 

I think if Sandy's bringing in an outside starting pitcher, it's not going to be anyone who's had any recent success or is still a name...for whatever it's worth, I think it's going to be a Hughes-type (Sandy will point to 2012 and say he won 16 games).  He's only 27 years old to boot.  He's not sexy, but if the Mets are going to continue being bargain-hunters in 2014 (and it sure looks that way), I could live with a two-year deal, especially if the money was reasonable. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1627 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

Agreed on what is likely to happen: some rotation filler who is cheap because he hasn't been good (Hughes) or is old/recently hurt (Maholm). And I hate that. Sure, give me one of these guys to take up ONE rotation spot, but give me a legitimate arm (again, there have been plenty of 1-2 year types that fit this bill who have already signed) to take up the other spot. Whatever, maybe they'll surprise me, but for now I'll just expect some cheap filler type only.

Hughes is at least young-ish and could benefit from a move to a league and park that fits his skillset better. If he stinks, the bullpen is always an intriguing option with his experience there. I wouldn't give him anything more than 1 year deal; maybe something like 1/7 plus a vesting option based on IP.

Hughes definitely isn't my first choice though; I'd sign Roberto Hernandez (Fausto Carmona) before him: 151 IP, 97 xFIP- last season with the Rays. Essentially, he'd have been an above average pitcher with a normal HR/FB rate. Same idea applies: cheap 1 year deal, maybe throw in a vesting option, and he could switch to the bullpen if his homer issues prove to be more real instead of bad luck. 

Edited by nmigliore, 25 November 2013 - 10:06 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1628 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Moving this here to avoid spamming up the Yankee thread with Mets-related debate: 

I still think the thing that would help the Mets out the most would be to trade one of their pitching prospects, I suppose Wheeler, for a stud bat, like Tulowitski.  Pitching prospects are a dicey proposition to begin with.  And that's what the Mets have a lot of. (Daniel)

Agree completely on the fickleness of pitching prospects and being very open to moving them. The Mets keep saying Wheeler and Syndergaard are untouchable, and while most fans would probably be okay with that, I hate it. 

Getting Tulo is a total pipedream, though. He'd cost FAR more than Wheeler alone if he were available, which is all moot anyway since Rockies' ownership has already said they aren't moving him. And frankly, why should they? He's the best SS in baseball, in his prime, on a great contract relative to what the market is paying for wins these days. This is a bit crude, but using his Steamer projected WAR in 2014 (+5.5) with standard aging after that (-0.5 WAR per year), his remaining deal pays him a little under $5M per win. For reference, the current going rate of a win in this free agent market (so far) is a hair over $6M and will go up over the years with inflation and the influx of cash via TV deals. That's a bargain for Tulo.

It's just so tough finding a quality SS these days, just ask why the Cards paid $53M for Jhonny Peralta's age 32-35 seasons, which is closer to $7M per win based on the same Steamer projection/aging process I did with Tulo. Stephen Drew will probably end up with a similar deal to Peralta's, maybe 5 years instead of 4, plus he has Boras as his agent. They are pricey commodities.

Edited by nmigliore, 27 November 2013 - 11:23 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1629 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

Looks like Tejada is back in the mix. 

Those bodies that the Mets were supposed to be moving on from?  Doofus, Tejada, etc.  Looks like we're stuck with 'em. 

I know Furcal's 2013 numbers are nothing to crow about, but geez, I'd almost be willing to bring him in on principle (since it seemed like Tejada couldn't be bothered to compete last season, even with the job being his going in).  He'd be better than Quintanilla at least.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 27 November 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1630 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Furcal didn't play in 2013, so those are 2012 numbers you're looking at. He was also pretty bad in 2011. So you're talking about 4 years since his last good season, coming off of a completely missed season due to TJS, and he's 36. 

I know the other day I said, given the barren free agent market after Peralta (gone) and Drew (we won't sign him), gambling on Furcal doesn't sound like the worst idea ever, but I'm not sure that's just a shiny new toy effect. Check out how he and Tejada compare since 2011:

Tejada: 1104 PA, 86 wRC+, +3 WAR

Furcal: 900 PA, 86 wRC+, +1.1 WAR

And again, Tejada is 12 years younger and didn't just miss an entire year due to TJS. As much as I cannot stand Tejada, I don't think Furcal is the answer.

Edited by nmigliore, 27 November 2013 - 11:36 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1631 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

When it comes to how the owner impacts the team, it really comes down to how much they're willing to spend and on what, unless you have a Jon Henry type, and I don't even know how involved he is at a nuts and bolts level. So even if the Wilpons had some plan, beyond saying we're going to open up the checkbook, I don't really see what you're asking them to say. They don't, nor would you want them involved in making the trades. They don't evaluate talent and don't make the drafting decisions. So again, you're saying that the Wilpons won't give Alderson the financial support, I ask, financial support to make precisely what moves?

If you don't like Alderson, then I guess that's on the owners. But usually, when it comes to anyone other than a disaster GM of the Mike Milbury mold, the fans have that attitude like a high school teacher of mine that was the swim coach, who liked to joke that his only job was to say "swim faster".

Daniel, I'm not asking the Wilpons to be talent evaluators, or deal makers involving acquiring players.  That's Sandy's job. 

I don't know what moves Sandy had in mind exactly, and I'm just speculating here, but I think Sandy probably had a Plan A based on the amount of money he thought he'd have to spend, then had the rug pulled out from under him just when he was about to try to implement it.  After the meeting with the Wilpons, he probably had to switch to an on-the-fly Plan B that he's likely not feeling terribly enthused about.  And though the Wilpons take plenty of deserved flak from Met fans, Sandy is the guy taking a lot of it right now (I've gotten on his case too at times).  His meek, defeated nature in interviews doesn't help his cause, but more and more I think the Wilpons really blindsided him when they told him how much he had to spend, to try to plug a LOT of holes.  

Owners impact the team more than what they're willing to spend on the product.  The Wilpons have spent significant dollars on the team in the past, but the organization comes off as amateur and buffoonish at times, and a lot of that comes back to the Wilpons.  You'd have to be blind not to see that.    

#30 FOREVER!

#1632 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Mets likely out on Phil Hughes because he's likely to get 2 years. I'm not terribly disappointed. He's worth a one year flier with maybe an option, but I wouldn't guarantee him a 2nd year. I mean, he just isn't that good. What happens if he's as bad as he was in two of the last three years (2011: 5.79 ERA, 2013: 5.19 ERA)? Then you're on the hook for like $7M or more in 2015 for a replacement level pitcher. No thanks. 

I still hope we sign Roberto Hernandez; he won't cost as much and has more upside than Hughes anyway. 

Edited by nmigliore, 28 November 2013 - 11:58 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1633 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

I really don't understand the Mets aversion to Stephen Drew. He's not old. Other than 2012 he's been a solid, steady bat for his entire career. He's kind of like Murph only with a lower batting average...but higher OBP. He will work long at bats, will hit his double digits in HR's and drive in runs. A big upgrade over whatever crap we throw out there from within the org.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1634 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

The Mets are a lower middle/small market team now, in terms of how they're going to run the team.  Maybe that changes down the line...who knows?  But right now, they clearly don't have any money.  It'd be nice if the fvcking Wilpons could be up front and honest with their fanbase about the state of the Mets just once, but they've yet to do that, so I certainly don't expect them to do it now.  I'm not a huge Sandy Alderson fan either, but I think the Wilpons have made his job a pretty thankless one at this point.

So that means a Drew-type is off the board.  A big-market team could afford to overpay a guy like Drew (and he WILL get overpaid, as he is the only FA SS worth a damn), but the Mets can't.  Whatever little money they have left will go into some meh outfielders who have a little power, some meh relievers to fill out the bullpen, and a meh starting pitcher to hold the fort until Montero and Syndergaard get call-ups. 

Tejada is coming back, and he'll be the starting SS on Opening Day, because the lying Coupons don't have enough money to allow Sandy to bring in someone else.  Maybe Doofus or Davis gets traded, but one of them is your starting first baseman on Opening Day as well.  For the Mets to show any progress next season, you have to hope either or both of Montero and Syndergaard get called up relatively early and develop quickly; Wheeler, Gee, and Niese all turn in good years; d'Arnaud and Lagares take big steps forward at the plate; Davis (hopefully it's him over Doofus) can show his post-minor league jaunt with a new plate approach wasn't a fluke; and one of Sandy's scrap-heap signings somehow turns in the equivalent of a Byrd-type performance.  If all of this happens, Mets can crack the 80-win barrier, and the franchise can claim to have made progress, even though ownership did absolutely nothing to facilitate it. 

But even if all of the above happens, Met fans have probably lost whatever remaining trust they had in the franchise, and it's going to take a hell of an offseason before 2015 if the dipsh!t Wilpons think they can get it back.  They have to be among the most hated owners in MLB right now. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1635 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hughes off the board to Minnesota, 3 years at $8M AAV. Again, not crying about that one; I didn't like the idea of giving him 2 years, forget 3 years.

I would really look into Roberto Hernandez; there are a ton of similarities between he and one of my other favorite free agent starters that went off the board, Dan Haren:

Haren, 2013: 169 IP, 4.67 ERA, 3.67 xFIP, 3.60 SIERA
Hernandez, 2013: 151 IP, 4.89 ERA, 3.60 xFIP, 3.66 SIERA

Haren, 2014 Steamer projection: 173 IP, 3.57 ERA, 3.55 FIP, +2.2 WAR
Hernandez, 2014 Steamer projection: 182 IP, 3.72 ERA, 3.50 FIP, +2.9 WAR

Both had a significant case of good process/bad results in 2013, both are 33 year old veteran right handers, and both have very similar 2014 projections from Steamer (though Haren's projection comes in the NL at Dodger Stadium with less IP, hence the WAR difference). 

Haren got 1/10 plus a vesting option for $10M based on 180 IP. I expect Hernandez to land a similar deal, but probably 40-50% of the guaranteed money that Haren got; maybe something like 1/5 with a IP/games started vesting option that holds a salary increase. MLBTR projected him for 1/5 plus incentives earlier in the offseason while the Fangraphs Crowdsource had him at 1/4ish.

He fits the budget and type of bargain-bin profile the front office is probably looking for among starting pitchers; usually that's not a good thing, but Hernandez could actually be one of the best bargains out there right now. For what it's worth, that +3 WAR Steamer projection ranks 3rd best among current free agent starters; only Burnett (+3.9) and Kuroda (+3.5) have a better projection. 

Edited by nmigliore, 01 December 2013 - 11:29 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1636 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

Still intrigued by Arroyo, and apparently Sandy is too (they have a meeting scheduled).  Get the feeling he'll be too rich for their blood. 

As far as bargain bin guys go, guess you could do worse than Hernandez. 

fvck the Wilpons.

#30 FOREVER!

#1637 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

And there goes Kazmir, signing an incredibly reasonable deal for 2/22 with Oakland. That will turn out to be one of the best starting pitcher signings of this winter if he stays healthy. Ugh, can we trade Zack Wheeler for Billy Beane?

So far we've signed a platoon player that only addresses a small part of our outfield problems and done nothing else. And we won't have Harvey next year. Get excited for 2014 folks!

Edited by nmigliore, 02 December 2013 - 03:04 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1638 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Kazmir feels a bit risky, given his history, and doesn't give you innings.  Did a nice job with the innings he DID provide though, I'll give him that.

I know I'm beating the dead horse here, but the Wilpons really need to be honest with their fanbase about the state of the team's finances.  Yeah, we know they're probably screwed, but we need to hear it from THEM.  HONESTY - simple fvcking HONESTY - goes a long long way, even if the news is lousy.  Just admit it...you're in deep sh!t financially, and you can't afford anything close to a big-market, NY-style payroll.  The fanbase can't possibly despise you more than it already does, so just tell the fvcking truth already and maybe you'll win some fans back by the fact that you at least copped to being broke.  But we've been patient and loyal fans of this amateur franchise for far too long...if you don't have any money to spend in 2014, 2015, and possibly beyond, fvckING TELL US!     

Like I've said, I'm not a big Alderson guy, but the Wilpons are leaving him out there to take most of the abuse.  I'm starting to find it hard to believe that he's THIS passive.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 02 December 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1639 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Today was the non-tender deadline and the Mets dumped the following:

The #Mets have non-tendered Scott Atchison, Jeremy Hefner, Omar Quintanilla, Justin Turner and Jordany Valdespin.

Two surprising names there: Turner and Hefner.

I'm not crazy for Turner but MLBTR projected him to get $800k in arbitration. He had a 97 wRC+ over the last three seasons while playing all over the infield. You do plenty worse than what Turner gave the team as a utility infielder, and frankly, we probably will. If we give Satin his at bats, that works for me, but then I bet they carry a true-SS who won't hit a lick. 

Hefner wasn't even arb-eligible and coud've been 60-day DL'd the entire year, removing him from the 40-man. So basically we didn't want to pay him $500k to retain control of him. Weird. He's probably more replaceable than people think anyway, but definitely surprising. 

These moves are basically inconsequential in the longrun, anyway. 

Edited by nmigliore, 02 December 2013 - 09:27 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1640 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

They're literally counting every penny.  God I wish those fvckers would just sell the damn team already.

Fister to the Nationals (I know it's in the MLB thread).  God I'm so disgusted right now. 

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users