1814 replies to this topic

#1641 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

Nats' rotation is loaded now: Strasburg-Fister-Gonzalez-Zimmermann; what a top 4. And of course they get him for practically nothing, which doubly hurts. 

We'll just be over here, sitting on our hands, admiring the view as the rest of the division gets better..... Ugh.

Edited by nmigliore, 02 December 2013 - 09:58 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1642 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,097 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

Owners have no money and the GM has given up.  I'm actually half-expecting Sandy to resign.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1643 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,097 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:01 AM

For whatever it's worth:

http://espn.go.com/n...-sandy-alderson

Looking at the balance of the last two years, not really sure what Granderson is worth.  He's not going to hit nearly as many home runs here as he did in Yankee Stadium, but the fact is that the Mets need SOMEONE to play the outfield, and Granderson at least has some power and draws some walks (though he's hardly an OB% beast) .  Eric Young can't be an everyday player. 

But until proven otherwise, anytime Sandy meets with ANY mid-tier free agent, it's going to feel like kicking the tires for the sake of looking like the Mets are trying.  If the Mets are in as bad of shape from a dollars standpoint as they seem to be, not sure a Granderson overpayment is such a great idea anyway, if it means the Mets then have no ability to make any other moves.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1644 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

Francessa has a theory that the Wilpons are so traumatized by their experiences with Bay, Oliver Perez and Castillo that they've become super cautious with doling out the money for free agents. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1645 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,097 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

Francessa has a theory that the Wilpons are so traumatized by their experiences with Bay, Oliver Perez and Castillo that they've become super cautious with doling out the money for free agents. 

Look, going the high-profile FA route is never really ideal (you're paying guys for what they were, rather than what they are, and the overpayments tend to be so high that it's hard for these players to live up to the value of these contracts...especially since the dollars lead to often heightened AND unrealistic expectations).  We've seen MANY teams throw money around and have it blow up in their faces.  In a perfect world, you build a farm system that churns out prospects at a solid rate, get productive years out of them at very cost-effective rates, possibly sign them to long-term deals that eat up some of their arbitration years, then let someone else pay them the achievement megadeal. 

At the same time, you can't just decide you're NEVER going to participate in free agency, especially when you have needs that aren't going to be met through what you have in the farm.  Do the Mets need to overpay wildly for Choo and Ellsbury types?  No...that would only make sense if they were one specific need away, and they're not.  But does that mean they can't see what mid-tier and lower-tier free agents are out there? 

When you're this cautious, it's clear that you have almost no money to spend, and I think the Wilpons refuse to address that with their fans.  They seem to want a slam dunk in FA, and slam dunks are hard to find...hell, as we've seen, sometimes it's the "huh?" guys (like Byrd) that turn out to be the surprise bargains.  The Mets have to get in the game on some level.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 03 December 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1646 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

I like Granderson some, but probably not as much as the market will. Fangraphs crowdsourced him to get 4/56 while MLBTR predicted 3/45. I'd give him 3/40. I mean, he turns 33 in March. He's a LHB leaving the friendliest park in baseball for LHB's. Fluky injuries or not, he played in just 61 games last year and didn't hit much when he did play. Steamer isn't very high on him (603 PA, 112 wRC+, +2.2 WAR) and I believe that projection is for him playing in Yankee Stadium, not a neutral park. I think he's better than that, but I just don't see enough short-term upside, especially when this team won't be contending in 2014, to justify him being a sub-par regular making $12M+ in the last year or two of a 4 year deal.

Edited by nmigliore, 03 December 2013 - 11:12 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1647 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,097 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

I like Granderson some, but probably not as much as the market will. Fangraphs crowdsourced him to get 4/56 while MLBTR predicted 3/45. I'd give him 3/40. I mean, he turns 33 in March. He's a LHB leaving the friendliest park in baseball for LHB's. Fluky injuries or not, he played in just 61 games last year and didn't hit much when he did play. Steamer isn't very high on him (603 PA, 112 wRC+, +2.2 WAR) and I believe that projection is for him playing in Yankee Stadium, not a neutral park. I think he's better than that, but I just don't see enough short-term upside, especially when this team won't be contending in 2014, to justify him being a sub-par regular making $12M+ in the last year or two of a 4 year deal.

Yeah, we've been through this one...a lot of potential for this one to blow up, which will give the Wilpons another "see, free agency never works" chip in the excuse box. 

That being said, I'd probably take a shot and go 3/40 for him.  No more than that.  If that turned out to be the offer and Granderson took someone else's offer, I can't get on the Mets for that one.  3/40 is fair value for Granderson.

#30 FOREVER!

#1648 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

I know I'm probably sounding contradictory for blasting the front office for not doing anything and then slamming a bunch of current free agents that fit our needs but Stephen Drew is another free agent I hope to avoid. Steamer and ZiPS both project him as a ~10% below league average hitter and +2 WAR per 600 PA:

Steamer: .232/.314/.378, .306 wOBA

ZiPS: .239/.312/.393, .309 wOBA

A +2 win SS per 600 PA is fine but consider the caveats: Drew hasn't even reached 600 PA since 2010, as he's frequently hurt, and you're buying his age-31 and beyond seasons; Scott Boras is his agent (MLBTR predicted he'd get 4/48); he'll require draft pick compensation. I know our SS situation is hideous but there are plenty of reasons to shy away from Drew. 

It's going to be really tough to fill the SS hole this year.

----

I'm just going to keep throwing out starting pitcher ideas as they come. With the signing of Scott Kazmir, Brett Anderson is pretty much out of a rotation spot in Oakland. The team also just acquired closer Jim Johnson who is looking at $10M+ in arbitration, so trading Anderson and his $8M salary seems like a given at this point, and unsurprisingly, there are already rumors already involving him

The downside is that he hasn't thrown even 100 innings since 2010, as he's missed a lot of time due to TJS recovery and a bad ankle sprain earlier last season. However, when he has pitched, he's shown he can be very good (career 93 ERA-, 87 FIP-, 84 xFIP-), he's still just 26 years old, and hasn't had much deterioration of his stuff despite the TJS. It could turn out to be a waste of $8M plus whatever it costs to get him via trade, but the upside is pretty big, and he comes with a friendly $10.5M team option for next season. I'd be very interested. 

Edited by nmigliore, 03 December 2013 - 12:14 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1649 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,097 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Re:  SS, I think the Mets have to go with Tejada for now, then see if better options become available later.  It's a great market for Drew, in that he's the only FA shortstop left worth a damn, but yeah, it doesn't look like the SS position is one the Mets can really address right this second, if Drew is the best option (and an overpriced one at that).  What I hope Sandy and Co make clear to Tejada is that he's getting a second chance out of circumstance, and not because he's earned it.  And then I hope the Mets do everything they can to light a serious fire under Tejada's ass, so that they get the most out of the meager gifts Tejada has to offer.  

Brett Anderson...seems like one of those guys who we'll say "When he's healthy", except that he's never healthy.  Was pretty awful last year too.  Mets already have enough young arms...I'd rather get a veteran type that you know can get you about 200 innings of decent pitching.  But these are the kinds of guys the Mets are going to target, so we might as well throw the names out there and learn all we can about them.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1650 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

By ERA he was awful but Anderson had a 3.85 FIP, 3.26 xFIP, and his best swinging strike rate of his career last season, granted he was mostly in a bullpen role. There is still plenty of talent there. I just think these are the types they should be gambling on: big upside and he isn't expensive (let us not forget Phil Hughes, 4.85 ERA since 2011, was signed for the same price but for 3 years; Jason Vargas got the same amount for 4; these guys are league average pitchers at best). What he'll cost talent wise is what will make it interesting.

For a team in the Mets position I rather bet on talent than durability. The A's have done that strategy the last few years and have hit big on it. A guy like Arroyo may be solid but he does nothing for me other than present a potential mess of a deal if he falls apart given his already super-fringy stuff and age. If we're going to fill out the back of the rotation with someone like that I rather it be Paul Maholm on a 1 year deal instead Arroyo for 3. 

Edited by nmigliore, 03 December 2013 - 01:04 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1651 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,097 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

And yet the A's are the team willing to part with him, which definitely says something. 

Feels like this is case of sabermetric propping up, in the case of his FIP and xFIP for 2013.  Guy allowed a boatload of baserunners (1.61 WHIP)...but most alarming is that the guy can't stay on the damned field.  He misses a lot of games. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1652 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

And yet the A's are the team willing to part with him, which definitely says something. 

Feels like this is case of sabermetric propping up, in the case of his FIP and xFIP for 2013.  Guy allowed a boatload of baserunners (1.61 WHIP)...but most alarming is that the guy can't stay on the damned field.  He misses a lot of games. 

It was only 44 innings and just 5 of his 16 appearances were starts anyway. Whatever, this doesn't have to be so complicated; he's been quite good by ERA and FIP/xFIP for his career, whichever you prefer to weigh more. He's still really young. I'd be all over him depending on the trade cost. I rather take a chance on him for $8M over settling for an innings filler with little upside at the same price. If he gets hurt again you wasted the same cost of the innings eater plus whatever you traded; if he stays healthy you have a potential front of the rotation pitcher who costs very little (relative to production) for 2015.

Edited by nmigliore, 03 December 2013 - 01:23 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1653 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,097 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

Understand what you're saying nmig, I do, but the Mets NEED an innings guy at this point.  The top two innings guys going into 2014 that are healthy are Dillon Gee (199.0) and Jon Niese (143.0)...Wheeler has more (168.2), if you want to add his minor and major league innings together, but he'll be on an innings limit.  It'd be nice to see a guy who could at least start 33 friggin' games without going on the DL for a change.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1654 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hey look, even the penny-pinching Marlins are spending! They are about to sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia for $21M or more. The Rays acquired Ryan Hanigan today and gave him $11M in extension money and also acquired Heath Bell. The A's acquired a $10M+ closer and signed a $22M starter. 

How can we keep up with these big markets?!

(This is the perfect time to remind everyone that Sandy's biggest expenditure for an external player since becoming Mets' GM was $12M to Frank Francisco). 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1655 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,097 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

nmig, repeat after me:

THE WILPONS HAVE NO MONEY

Trust me nmig, I am every bit as frustrated as you...every last bit.  This sucks, especially since we were flat-out lied to.  But the only way to keep your sanity is to realize the above.  And the fallout that comes with it. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1656 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

I think everyone accepts they have no money to offer Ellsbury/McCann type contracts...but if they can't even get mid-lower level guys with a payroll that's like $60 million now then that's something else.  That's just flat not wanting to spend.  I think that's what nmig's getting at too.

Yeah we were lied to but we know ownership could give two ***** about the fans anyway, so why give a **** about them at this point. You do wonder how a guy like David Wright feels.  They probably lied to him even worse considering it was face-to-face and now it looks like he signed away the rest of his career to play for M. Donald Grant reincarnate.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 03 December 2013 - 09:39 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1657 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,097 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

I think everyone accepts they have no money to offer Ellsbury/McCann type contracts...but if they can't even get mid-lower level guys with a payroll that's like $60 million now then that's something else.  That's just flat not wanting to spend.  I think that's what nmig's getting at too.

Yeah we were lied to but we know ownership could give two ***** about the fans anyway, so why give a **** about them at this point. You do wonder how a guy like David Wright feels.  They probably lied to him even worse considering it was face-to-face and now it looks like he signed away the rest of his career to play for M. Donald Grant reincarnate.

I know what nmig's getting at, and sadly, I think the situation is really that bad now.  I think they've got some money to sign Granderson (on their terms, anyway, if Granderson is willing), and a little more to try to fill some holes on the cheap, but that's all.  They're in big trouble financially, and I think it's a long-term thing, which means 2015 will probably be just as bad...at this point, I don't think the Mets are saving their chips for a better market...I just don't think they have any chips, period.  I may have my beefs with Sandy and the Wilpons, but all of them knew there was going to be serious criticism from both their fanbase and the local media if they didn't do anything this offseason...the Wilpons may be incompetent and often clueless, but they're not entirely stupid.  The only real explanation I've got for how the Mets can have an off-season this disastrous, when they knew what the fallout would be, is that they simply have almost no money to do anything about it.   

I'm sure David Wright is in WTF?! mode big-time...I don't see how he can't be.  He's always been a great company man, but I'm not sure how much longer he can keep that up.  

#30 FOREVER!

#1658 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

Rubin and Rosenthal say talks are intensifying with Granderson. I remain very meh on him but if it's for like 3/40 or 4/45ish, I could live with it. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1659 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,808 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

Granderson really wants that 4th year, I just hope the Mets don't balk at it. 4th year he would be 36 and that's not terribly old (that's what Byrd was last year). Plenty of outfielders are still productive at that age. Bite the bullet and let's add some more power to the outfield. He's always had a lightning quick bat with an uppercut swing and hey, right field at Citi is not nearly as imposing as it was when it opened in 2009. Get Granderson in the lineup and I think 25 home runs are pretty much a lock. And that's probably the low-ish end for him

Edited by '7', 04 December 2013 - 09:41 AM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1660 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

I'm not against a 4th year if it means a reduced AAV, so instead of 3/40, he gets 4/45. I think that is very fair for what he is and factoring in decline and salary inflation. 

Granderson is the kind of guy that will appease some fans but he's more decent than great. 

Edited by nmigliore, 04 December 2013 - 09:39 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users