1814 replies to this topic

#1721 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Lee is owed 2 years, $50M which could turn into 3 years, $75.5M if he keeps throwing 200 innings. Hamels has a lengthy, $100M+ contract. They are great pitchers, no doubt, but not every team can afford those contracts, especially Lee's, which would limit the return. 

The Phillies are just in a bad place right now. Not a good team, old roster, the Howard contract amazingly looks even worse than it did before he signed it, down farm system. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1722 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

An article about how bad the Howard deal was:

http://articles.phil...ruf-cole-hamels

Talk about a trainwreck...his numbers and health plummeted just as the extension kicked in.  Funny thing is, with his 2010-11 numbers, he probably still would've gotten big years from somebody. 

If the Phillies are willing to take on some of the money in Lee's and Hamels' deals, maybe they get a little more back. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1723 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

Great article by Joel Sherman on our likely "Granderson and meh" offseason: http://nypost.com/20...ailed-the-fans/

Edited by nmigliore, 10 December 2013 - 06:44 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1724 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Great article, but I think this more on the Wilpons than Sandy...that being said, Sandy and the front office isn't blameless.

It's going to be a long time before Met fans trust the organization again.  The Wilpons are impossible to embrace. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1725 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

A #Mets person now would be surprised if Daniel Murphy ends up traded.

I hope this is true. Murphy isn't great but he's a useful regular and the Mets need more of those. Plus, we all knew this would've resulted in Eric Young starting, a serious downgrade, very unlikely to be justified by whatever Murphy brought back. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1726 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

A #Mets person now would be surprised if Daniel Murphy ends up traded.

I hope this is true. Murphy isn't great but he's a useful regular and the Mets need more of those. Plus, we all knew this would've resulted in Eric Young starting, a serious downgrade, very unlikely to be justified by whatever Murphy brought back. 

That's where I am.  Want to upgrade over Murph at 2B, I can get on board with that.  But moving Murph to make room for EY would've been infuriating.  One of them hits and doesn't draw walks.  The other guy does neither. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1727 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Corey Hart is headed to Seattle on a 1 year deal. Was my favorite external 1B out there -- he had the same wRC+ as David Wright, Joe Mauer, and Billy Butler from 2010-2012 before missing all of 2013 with knee surgery -- but it was never happening, because we are oh so enthused with Lucas Duda! Anyway, relating to us, this should hopefully put the wheels in motion on an Ike Davis trade. Milwaukee was supposedly looking hard at Ike if Hart turned them down. 

Edited by nmigliore, 11 December 2013 - 02:47 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1728 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

Lucas Duda...WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? 

#30 FOREVER!

#1729 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

LoMo, competition for the Mets/Ike, is also going to Seattle; got traded for Carter Capps. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1730 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

So much activity...except for the team that swore it was going to reward its fans' patience...or so it sure feels.

#30 FOREVER!

#1731 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Sandy might have just answered my dream!

Source: mets sign colon

that should be bartolo colon, $20M, 2 yrs. w? #mets

Bill Madden of the Daily News reporting the Mets and Bartolo Colon have agreed to a two-year, $20 million contract.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1732 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

So, so happy about this deal. I know people will hate the 2nd year but I don't mind it. Colon could be worth that entire $20M salary in one year, quite honestly. 

Since 2011: 507 IP, 3.32 ERA, 3.69 FIP, +10.5 RA9-WAR (24th best among starting pitchers), +8.9 FIP-WAR (30th best).

Love it. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1733 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Would've rather had Arroyo myself (younger and never misses starts), and Colon's age scares me, but the guy is coming off a terrific season...that cannot be argued on any level.  That second year hurts...especially for a team that can't afford to have $10 million in dead money...if Colon isn't any good next season, this one's going to look really bad.  I want to feel good about it, but it just feels like such a roll of the dice...I would've felt a lot better if the deal was only for year. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1734 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

Colon blows away Arroyo in production the last three years whether you look at runs allowed (see RA9-WAR column) or FIP (see WAR column): http://www.fangraphs...players=978,375

I don't have any doubt who the better pitcher is. And Arroyo, no spring chicken himself at 37, could be getting 3 years at $10M or more, which is incredibly risky itself.  

Edited by nmigliore, 11 December 2013 - 06:17 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1735 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

Colon blows away Arroyo in production the last three years whether you look at runs allowed (see RA9-WAR column) or FIP (see WAR column): http://www.fangraphs...players=978,375

I don't have any doubt who the better pitcher is. And Arroyo, no spring chicken himself at 37, could be getting 3 years at $10M or more, which is incredibly risky itself.  

I'm not saying the Mets should've signed Arroyo to three years...I would've been willing to go two on him, but it looks like that wouldn't get it done.  I'm not sure I would've gone more than one year for Colon, but I guess Sandy really wanted him. 

Colon also has a 50-game testosterone suspension on his record...don't think that be should be getting glossed over. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1736 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm not saying the Mets should've signed Arroyo to three years...I would've been willing to go two on him, but it looks like that wouldn't get it done.  I'm not sure I would've gone more than one year for Colon, but I guess Sandy really wanted him. 

Colon also has a 50-game testosterone suspension on his record...don't think that be should be getting glossed over. 

He served his suspension in 2012 and then went out in 2013, presumably clean, and put up the 2nd best ERA in his league. 

I mean, I can't see how you could do much better. Yeah he's got plenty of regression due to him and he's old. But this was still one of the top pitchers in the AL last season. The Mets get him for $10M per. Pitchers like Jason Vargas and Phil Hughes are getting $8M per. Maybe the 2nd year is a mess if everything falls apart, I'm by no means saying that isn't possible, but I think the risk is worth it considering the cost. 

Colon, a fastball-heavy flyball pitcher, is also a nice fit considering our park and outfield defense, which projects to be very good.

And the Mets are spending some money. Who'da thunk it?!

Edited by nmigliore, 11 December 2013 - 06:34 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1737 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'm OK with it nmig, but there's reasons to be concerned, especially for a team that doesn't have financial flexibility.  The last thing I want to hear, come the 2014 offseason, is how Colon's contract is stopping the Mets from getting someone who can help them in 2015.  I hope it works out, I really do, and based on 2013, I can understand why Sandy rolled the dice on this one, but it has the potential to come up snake eyes. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1738 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

And the Mets are spending some money. Who'da thunk it?!

Makes me wonder how much they have left.  $27.25 million towards the 2014 payroll...if that $30 million available money figure is accurate, Mets are getting close to being tapped out.

#30 FOREVER!

#1739 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

Are you Mets fans worried about how Citi Field is gonna affect Granderson?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1740 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

Are you Mets fans worried about how Citi Field is gonna affect Granderson?

No one is expecting him to hit 40 HRs as Met, playing half of his games in Citi.  We'll take 20-25.  I'm more worried about his BA the last two seasons, and very high number of strikeouts. 

All three FA signings so far have the potential to blow up, no doubt, but the Mets had to take some chances.  At least Colon and Chris Young are short-term risks.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 December 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users