1814 replies to this topic

#1741 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

Sick Colon stat:  in 19 out of his last 22 starts in 2013, he gave up 2 ER or less.  That is really friggin' great.

His one postseason start was OK, not great, but what he did in that 22 start stretch is almost Matt Harvey good...from a runs allowed standpoint at least.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1742 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

And the funny thing is he is the most fastball-reliant starter in baseball, not throwing 5-6 junk pitches at you. Pounds the strikezone and doesn't screw around.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1743 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

Mets are supposedly kicking the tires on John Axford and Kevin Gregg now

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1744 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

Mets are supposedly kicking the tires on John Axford and Kevin Gregg now

Neither excites, but overall both have pretty good numbers...they're typical MLB relievers, in that the degree of their success is very year-to-year.  The Mets could do worse.  Both can strike guys out, which is nice.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1745 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

And the funny thing is he is the most fastball-reliant starter in baseball, not throwing 5-6 junk pitches at you. Pounds the strikezone and doesn't screw around.

Explains why gives up a little more than a hit an inning...he comes right at you.  That's OK, in that for an aggressive approach, he doesn't give up a ton of hits, and he keeps the walks down too.  Last year's WHIP was terrific. 

Well, we know four pitchers who are going to be in the rotation to start the season (barring injury):

Wheeler

Colon

Niese

Gee

That fifth spot is wide open...I'm assuming Syndergaard or Montero won't be candidates to nab that spot out of spring training no matter what they do (I think the Mets want both to start the season in Vegas), which means deGrom won't be either.  Based on last season, looks like the job is Mejia's to lose, as long as he's healthy and ready to go...guessing the Mets bring in a veteran cheap body (maybe Dice K again), just in case.  Does make one wonder a little bit what will happen if Syndergaard and/or Montero are pitching well in AAA and deserve call-ups...of course, as we've seen, starting pitchers get hurt, so banking on the Opening Day rotation staying healthy throughout the season seems foolish, and chances are a spot will open up somewhere. 

But a rotation of Wheeler, Colon, Niese, Gee and Mejia has the potential to be pretty good.  This is starting to feel like a team that crack the 80-win barrier, maybe even finish a little above .500, provided Wright, Murph, and Granderson stay healthy and hit well, and both Youngs don't suck.  Tejada and Doofus in the starting infield is still a scary thought. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 12 December 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1746 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

Imagine we had Harvey? Ugh.

I'd give Mejia the 5th spot. Yeah he might end up on the DL, but I'll take my chances on the upside/talent. Even if he does get hurt, Montero is pretty much MLB-ready, and even Torres is a fine swingman type a la Hefner if Montero can't go. That also assumes Syndergaard won't be ready.

I mean, I won't complain if they sign someone like Roberto Hernandez or Paul Maholm; depth is never a bad thing and you can come up with a health question mark on pretty much anyone in this current rotation. But if it were up to me, outside of signing Hernandez I suppose, I'd just run with Mejia. 

One move I would strongly dislike would be bringing in a Freddy Garcia, Dice-K, Aaron Harang-type to be the 5th starter. You can sell me on someone like Hernandez, Capuano, Maholm, but absolutely not someone in that former category. 

Edited by nmigliore, 12 December 2013 - 08:28 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1747 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

Imagine we had Harvey? Ugh.

I'd give Mejia the 5th spot. Yeah he might end up on the DL, but I'll take my chances on the upside/talent. Even if he does get hurt, Montero is pretty much MLB-ready, and even Torres is a fine swingman type a la Hefner if Montero can't go. That also assumes Syndergaard won't be ready.

I mean, I won't complain if they sign someone like Roberto Hernandez or Paul Maholm; depth is never a bad thing and you can come up with a health question mark on pretty much anyone in this current rotation. But if it were up to me, outside of signing Hernandez I suppose, I'd just run with Mejia. 

One move I would strongly dislike would be bringing in a Freddy Garcia, Dice-K, Aaron Harang-type to be the 5th starter. You can sell me on someone like Hernandez, Capuano, Maholm, but absolutely not someone in that former category. 

If they had Harvey, they never go after Colon...the real shame of that is that $20 million could've gone to another need, but the Mets at least brought someone in who may be able to approximate would have Harvey would've given them in 2014. 

I could live with a Dice-K type only because he'd be pretty far down on the depth chart, and he'd cost next to nothing (and he actually showed something in his last few starts).  Think about it:  Mejia is hopefully going to be the guy coming out of spring.  You've got Torres, who was good in seven out of the nine starts he made.  Montero is close, Syndergaard isn't far behind, and deGrom is in the mix too (can't hurt to find out what he's got).  Yeah, there's better, more attractive alternatives to Dice-K, but hopefully you won't need the pure depth-signing guy to make any more than 10-12 starts, tops (and the only reason Dice would get that many would be because a lot of things went wrong).  A Maholm-type makes more sense if you don't have as much depth as the Mets have, and think you're going to need 20+ starts out of him. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 12 December 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1748 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

CR, when I mention Dice-K et al. I'm speaking about them being given the #5 role over Mejia, not going to AAA as depth. By all means sign an arm like that to go to Las Vegas; doesn't bother me. Just want nothing to do with them pushing Mejia to the bullpen or AAA. Maybe for a pitcher like Maholm, Hernandez, or Capuano, but that's about it, and even then it's not that ideal to me.

Rule 5 Draft is coming up in 10 minutes. Mets have been pretty quiet under the Sandy regime with the Rule 5, but we'll see what happens. JD Martinez could be an interesting reserve RHB outfielder and there are always some intriguing arms for the bullpen. 

Edited by nmigliore, 12 December 2013 - 08:49 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1749 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Yep, that's what I'm thinking, re: Dice...not being brought in to compete for the #5 slot, just as a "a lot of sh!t happened and we need a cheap warm body who might be able to win a few games" precaution. 

I'd like to see Mejia get the job out of spring, with Montero and Syndergaard as possible competition (Mejia would really have to stumble for those two to get any consideration I would think...can't see the Mets not being committed to them both getting a bunch of starts in Vegas).  Torres can always be the #5 to start the season if Mejia looks so bad that the Mets think he needs to go to AAA as well.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1750 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

Yeah I could see Montero posing a threat given how great he was in the PCL last season (3+ K/BB, 3.05 ERA, 2.87 FIP); he may not have a big upside, but I'm still amazed how fast he's moved up the ladder. Syndergaard, with no AAA experience, seems like a lock to go to Las Vegas, and Sandy strongly hinted that would be the case a couple nights ago. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1751 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

Montero has really rocketed through the Mets' system, no doubt.  Really bounced back after a rough start at Vegas too.  Only 23 years old. 

Hard not to love what he's shown so far:  doesn't walk people, good K totals, doesn't give up a lot of home runs, good hits-to-innings.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1752 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Rays are close to resigning James Loney, per Buster Olney. 

That's one less suitor for Ike but this SHOULD finally put things in motion, likely with Milwaukee.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1753 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

Man, still hoping against hope that Doofus is the one to go, but I guess Ike's salary and the fact that his value is a little higher's then Duda's means he's the one to go. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1754 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

I think everybody, beat writers and fans, have universally accepted Ike will be the one to go. I don't like Duda, but unfortunately there is nothing left on the free agent market. Kendrys Morales, who is far more of a DH than a 1B, isn't much of an upgrade over what we have AND he costs a draft pick. I really liked Corey Hart as a target before Seattle scooped him up, but I don't get the sense we are even looking for a 1B; I think Sandy will be content with dealing Ike for whatever and hoping Duda/Satin form an acceptable platoon. At this point, what's left on the free agent/trade markets probably isn't worth it anyway. 

SS would be my #1 priority now but I also have no idea what to do there. The free agent market is brutal after Stephen Drew, so much so that giving Tejada the job probably is the best alternative. Trading for young, controlled SS is way more easier said than done, and is probably not realistic unless the Mets are willing to fork over one of their top pitching prospects. We'll see where his market goes but I'd be willing to go 3 years and $10-12M per for Drew; I'm not a big fan of him, but that's still a pretty fair deal for what he is. Plus, I rather overpay a bit for a free agent rather than give up talent. 

If they didn't add another starting pitcher for the rotation, I'm fine with it; Mejia would be my choice to be the 5th starter. Maybe bring in a guy like Kevin Slowey as an insurance policy.

It's probably not realistic but I'd also try to bring in another left-handed hitting OF. Not a full-time player, but someone than can platoon with Lagares so you can have these OF alignments:

vs RHP: LHB OF, LF -- Young, CF -- Granderson, RF

vs LHP: Young, LF -- Lagares, CF -- Granderson, RF

A guy like Matt Joyce and his big platoon splits would be perfect for this role but a deal centered around Ike for Joyce is definitely out of the cards now that the Rays resigned Loney. Nate McLouth, who signed with Washington, would have also been an ideal fit. Hopefully whoever they bring in as a 4th outfielder can sort of fit this role if need be, as I think depending completely on Young-Lagares-Grandy to all be productive can also turn quite disastrous. 

Edited by nmigliore, 15 December 2013 - 10:41 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1755 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

Yeah, looks like Tejada at SS (we've all known that for a while...just not much of a SS market) and Doofus/Satin at first.  Hopefully those positions are upgraded for 2015.

#30 FOREVER!

#1756 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

Nats and Syracuse agreed on an extension through 2017, so scratch off that potential landing spot for our AAA team. I can't remember all of the current player development contracts in place, but Adam Rubin speculated that we may be stuck in the PCL for awhile. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1757 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

Rumors going around that no one really wants Ike.  Mets are apparently talking to everyone about him.

#30 FOREVER!

#1758 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

I still think it'll come down to Milwaukee and Pittsburgh. They are the two that have been strongly connected to Ike and there really aren't many comparable or better 1B alternatives available to them. I'd definitely prefer to deal with Pittsburgh; much deeper, stronger talent pool. Milwaukee's farm system is one of the worst in the game. 

I could see something like Davis for Jeff Locke, or one of their MLB-ready arms from the minors like Stolmy Pimentel, Brandon Cumpton, or Phil Irwin. None of these guys would be very exciting, but that seems like the upper limit of what you're really going to get for Ike. 

Edited by nmigliore, 19 December 2013 - 12:24 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1759 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:14 AM

I think the prevailing logic was the main reason they'd trade Davis was the potential return (nothing great of course, but better than what they'd get for Duda).  If the return for Ike wouldn't be anything better, do they dare explore the option of trading Doofus instead? 

#30 FOREVER!

#1760 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

The more I think about it, the more I would like to bring both back. Sure trading Ike saves ~$4M, but I don't know if that is really going to do much in improving the 2014 squad. Both players have options, so you could give Ike one last hurrah with Duda in AAA. Neither player may be any good but you have a higher chance of hitting on one of them if both are in the organization.

I mean, it all really depends on the return obviously, but if all you're getting back is a pitcher who is probably a reliever, why bother? I will say, though, that this almost certainly won't happen. I feel confident in saying one will be gone by Opening Day.

Edited by nmigliore, 19 December 2013 - 09:42 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users