96 replies to this topic

#41 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

fair enough, but we don't know that there's no source as much as we don't know there is. Hockey360 is in Quebec which is from where Bernier is from so they could be getting infos.

Not knowing what a source is makes it not a source.

I can start a blog and say "Devils not interested in Jonathan Bernier."

Anyone can type something up, but if they aren't a reputable source of information, it means nothing. It sounds like hockey360 is hoping to have a French Canadian back up Marty. How would being from where Bernier is from make them a source? What info could that give them? Bernier wouldn't know who is interested.

As Marshall said, this is Єklund (2.3% accurate) rumor stuff.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#42 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,181 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Not knowing what a source is makes it not a source.

I can start a blog and say "Devils not interested in Jonathan Bernier."

Anyone can type something up, but if they aren't a reputable source of information, it means nothing. It sounds like hockey360 is hoping to have a French Canadian back up Marty. How would being from where Bernier is from make them a source? What info could that give them? Bernier wouldn't know who is interested.

As Marshall said, this is Єklund (2.3% accurate) rumor stuff.

of course it is and then? AT WORST it's a discussion where we can simply guess offers and see who's worth what and the what ifs for fun. If you're not interested or do not want to be part of it. Don't read, it's like putting the tv on a channel that you don't like and then complain about whats playing.

like seriously some people are way too uptight about a "forum" nobody got hurt or lost their dog clicking on this thread. and if people are mad cause they lost 15 seconds of their precious time because of this, they shouldnt have been losing time on a discussion board at all if 15 seconds is so important

edit: and for the record Andy Strikland is the source of that rumour and i've seen it floating around on quite a few different site

According to Andy Strickland of 590 The Fan St. Louis, the Los Angeles Kings next move may be to trade goalie Jonathan Bernier, who has asked to be traded.

Strickland tweeted, “Devils, Maple Leafs and Blackhawks are possibilities”.

http://toomanymenont...sked-for-trade/

i mean there's no way Lou didnt at least called to see the price and kicked tires thats what GMs do

Edited by SterioDesign, 06 March 2013 - 03:22 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#43 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

of course it is and then? AT WORST it's a discussion where we can simply guess offers and see who's worth what and the what ifs for fun. If you're not interested or do not want to be part of it. Don't read, it's like putting the tv on a channel that you don't like and then complain about whats playing.

like seriously some people are way too uptight about a "forum" nobody got hurt or lost their dog clicking on this thread. and if people are mad cause they lost 15 seconds of their precious time because of this, they shouldnt have been losing time on a discussion board at all if 15 seconds is so important

edit: and for the record Andy Strikland is the source of that rumour and i've seen it floating around on quite a few different site

According to Andy Strickland of 590 The Fan St. Louis, the Los Angeles Kings next move may be to trade goalie Jonathan Bernier, who has asked to be traded.

Strickland tweeted, “Devils, Maple Leafs and Blackhawks are possibilities”.

http://toomanymenont...sked-for-trade/

i mean there's no way Lou didnt at least called to see the price and kicked tires thats what GMs do

agreed.. he already knows how much he wants and originally this season wouldn't think twice about it.  But with Marty's injury and moose's slump I am sure its fresh in his mind.  I think he would be a huge asset to the team, he just needs to play under Marty for at least one more year.  Is he willing to do that?? I am not so sure considering he wants to leave LA for those same reasons... Regardless we will find out in the next three weeks is this is a real possibility. 

#44 Devilsrock01

Devilsrock01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

sportsnet in the trade deadline were talking about him either coming to nj or going to new york islanders

Posted Image

#45 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

sportsnet in the trade deadline were talking about him either coming to nj or going to new york islanders

I'd like to have him.  But if he comes here, we are going to have like 1 pick in this years draft. 

Posted Image

#46 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

I love him but....
We have 3 prospect who are argubly future no 1 goalie...

Kinkaid Wedgewood and Frazee

I dont know about frazee... but Kinkaid and wedgewood look promising to me

#47 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

I love him but....
We have 3 prospect who are argubly future no 1 goalie...

Kinkaid Wedgewood and Frazee

I dont know about frazee... but Kinkaid and wedgewood look promising to me

We need something for the in between time, but I think a veteran stopgap had for cheap via UFA would be the best choice. You want an older guy there to help mentor the young guys.

#48 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

We need something for the in between time, but I think a veteran stopgap had for cheap via UFA would be the best choice. You want an older guy there to help mentor the young guys.

Looks like it could be very possible.

Unless Moose retires or gets bought out, it looks like 2013-14 will be Marty and Moose again. IF Moose is gone, and the Devils don't want to use Kinkaid, here are a few 2013 UFA's that may fit as a stopgap... (assuming Lou sticks with his 'veteran backup' approach)

Chris Mason, Theodore, Garon, Labarbera, Emery, Budaj, Boucher, Leighton, Ellis, Danis (!!), Montoya, Macdonald.

It looks like 2014-15 would be Marty and Kinkaid (assuming Marty re-signs after next season.) If Marty leaves and/or Kinkaid isn't ready, here is what the UFA market looks like that year...

Lundqvist (Rags will sign him longterm), Miller (probably same for Buffalo), Kirpusoff (will be 37), Hiller, Halak, Dubnyk (doubt Oilers let him go), Crawford, Vokoun (also 38), Elliot, Gustavsson, Giguere (god no), Biron, Clemmensen, Scrivens, Peters, Zatkoff

Nothing amazing, but maybe some stopgaps that can be had at a reasonable price is the Devils truly believe Kinkaid or Wedge are right around the corner.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#49 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

I dont see Marty playing after next season at all. He almost retired a year and a half ago after the McLean debacle and admitted he thought about it again last season before the Devils went on a run.

Replacing Hedberg is almost a must for next season in an 82 game schedule either way.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#50 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,181 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

what scares me about a stopgap or well anything future goalie related. Is that with goalies you never know. Everyone seems to think we're dead set in a few season with Wedgewood and Kincaid... but seriously who knows ? how many goalies never panned out or only got to NHL level around 30 years old ?

so we could either sign a good stopgap who could sh!t the bed even though he was solid before or have to wait like 5+ years for Kincaid or Wedge to be ready. Seriously we don't know

www.SterioDesign.com

#51 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

what scares me about a stopgap or well anything future goalie related. Is that with goalies you never know. Everyone seems to think we're dead set in a few season with Wedgewood and Kincaid... but seriously who knows ? how many goalies never panned out or only got to NHL level around 30 years old ?

so we could either sign a good stopgap who could sh!t the bed even though he was solid before or have to wait like 5+ years for Kincaid or Wedge to be ready. Seriously we don't know

That's the big issue. Goalies are a risk, and rarely are as consistent as Marty and Moose has been (not including this year). This is also the main reason I can't see Lou giving up assets or picks for Bernier. I can't think of many goalies he's traded for other than established ones, like Terreri or Vanbiesbrouck.

#52 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

I just farted..

#53 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

That's the big issue. Goalies are a risk, and rarely are as consistent as Marty and Moose has been (not including this year). This is also the main reason I can't see Lou giving up assets or picks for Bernier. I can't think of many goalies he's traded for other than established ones, like Terreri or Vanbiesbrouck.

Marty and Moose weren't consistent last year either.  The Devils were all ready to miss the playoffs if they had kept playing as they had.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#54 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

I think if Marty continues to play well he will sign one more season after next year.. For the most part this year he was playing pretty well not showing much age... Unless they some how manage to win another cup between now and then, then I'm more then sure he would call it quits
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#55 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

Marty and Moose weren't consistent last year either.  The Devils were all ready to miss the playoffs if they had kept playing as they had.

I mean consistent year in and year out, like Marty is and Moose has been for most of his career. I mean you aren't really going to pick up a young goalie like Bernier and expect that he can solve your goalie problems for the next 10 years. We've been fortunate to have a very consistent goaltending situation here. 

#56 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

I mean consistent year in and year out, like Marty is and Moose has been for most of his career. I mean you aren't really going to pick up a young goalie like Bernier and expect that he can solve your goalie problems for the next 10 years. We've been fortunate to have a very consistent goaltending situation here. 

Hedberg has been consistently terrible for most of his career.  It's amazing the Devils have gotten out of him what they've gotten out of him.

Among active goalies on hockey-reference's all-time SV% list, Hedberg ranks 30th out of 32.  He's above Brian Boucher and Andrew Raycroft.  When he signed he would have been last.

Edited by Triumph, 13 March 2013 - 08:45 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#57 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Looks like it could be very possible.

Unless Moose retires or gets bought out, it looks like 2013-14 will be Marty and Moose again. IF Moose is gone, and the Devils don't want to use Kinkaid, here are a few 2013 UFA's that may fit as a stopgap... (assuming Lou sticks with his 'veteran backup' approach)

Chris Mason, Theodore, Garon, Labarbera, Emery, Budaj, Boucher, Leighton, Ellis, Danis (!!), Montoya, Macdonald.

It looks like 2014-15 would be Marty and Kinkaid (assuming Marty re-signs after next season.) If Marty leaves and/or Kinkaid isn't ready, here is what the UFA market looks like that year...

Lundqvist (Rags will sign him longterm), Miller (probably same for Buffalo), Kirpusoff (will be 37), Hiller, Halak, Dubnyk (doubt Oilers let him go), Crawford, Vokoun (also 38), Elliot, Gustavsson, Giguere (god no), Biron, Clemmensen, Scrivens, Peters, Zatkoff

Nothing amazing, but maybe some stopgaps that can be had at a reasonable price is the Devils truly believe Kinkaid or Wedge are right around the corner.

I wouldn't mind Kipper (if he isn't traded by 2014-15) for a short term option. Hiller and Halak would seem completely unrealistic....however if Allen really outperforms Halak and shows that he should be the number one there then maybe we could make a move for him. (Which I doubt and know there is a .5% chance of that happening)

I was all on the Bernier bandwagon a few years ago but we really don't need him. The one plus however of him coming to NJ (assuming we don't give up Wedgewood or Kinkaid) is that if Wedge pans out then we could have an amazing Bernier/Wedgewood tandem. Our goaltending situation would be as deep as ever if Wedge pans out to be a confident number one and Bernier plays phenomenal (which is expected as he's done a good job on LA so far)

Also don't assume about Miller/Buffalo as Kypreos said on Sportsnet the other night that "Miller's days in Buffalo are numbered"

http://prohockeytalk...red-in-buffalo/

Edited by TheMazz, 13 March 2013 - 03:23 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#58 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Hedberg has been consistently terrible for most of his career.  It's amazing the Devils have gotten out of him what they've gotten out of him.

Among active goalies on hockey-reference's all-time SV% list, Hedberg ranks 30th out of 32.  He's above Brian Boucher and Andrew Raycroft.  When he signed he would have been last.

Good grief. Yes yes, Moose is the worst ever. Fine.

The Devils have enjoyed tremendous luck in the consistency of their goaltending the last 15-20 years. Brodeur has been the starter for 20 years. Their backups have usually performed well enough to win. I just think it's too risky to overpay for a guy like Bernier when there are several goalies who will hit the market in the next couple of years. There really is no way to guarantee that one guy will solidify the position for a long period of time. It's very rare for a team to have the same starter for 10 years, let alone 20, and it's often unpredictable.

#59 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

Miller in NJ would be pretty awesome. Instant cup. Plus I'm sure there is a Lou/Team USA angle to be exploited if he's interested in moving.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat, 14 March 2013 - 07:29 AM.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#60 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,181 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

RUMOURS ARE that Calgary is also interested in Bernier but that the devils remain the "most aggressive" on that case.

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users