Photo

So what do you think about the shootout?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Gimmick? Love it? Okay with it?

#2 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

1290449_o.gif

#3 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Never liked it, never will.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#4 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

While it is obviously a Gimmick, I have to admit that when I watch a game with 2 teams I don't emotionally care too much about (e.g. 2 western conference teams), I hope for it to go to a shootout.

#5 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

I would love it if the overtime period was 10 minutes.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#6 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Shootout is the worst thing to come to hockey since the trapezoid.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#7 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Sucks

#8 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

its a waste of time rather see a 10min over time than the shoot out

Edited by sokar, 15 February 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#9 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Miss Parise on it
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#10 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

It is a disgraceful way to end close games.  When I'm watching a game I don't have a vested interest in, I always root for someone to win before it devolves into a shootout.  I would much rather have ties, and overtime should be ten minutes.  They don't need a full intermission to get the ice in good condition, with two resurfacers they can do a quick ice cut between the third period and overtime in five minutes, and then play a ten-minute overtime.

Someone on here, I think maybe Triumph, pointed out that all you have to do is avoid losing in regulation and just get every game to a shootout and then even if you just go .500 in shootouts you would finish an 82-game season with 123 points and most likely win the Presidents' Trophy.  That is obviously an extreme example, but it just goes to show you that shootouts can have way too much of an impact on the standings, takes away from the actual game.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#11 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,889 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

NHLPA has argued against a 10 minute overtime - sorry folks, you won't see it, ever.

Shootout is a good solution to an unsolvable problem - hockey games don't often have a winner after 60 minutes.  It showcases skills that players take years to develop and hardly ever get a chance to display, both for shooters and goalies.  It adds an interesting strategic element to a game often lacking in that department (whereas football and baseball you can routinely ask a fellow watcher, what would you do here if you were manager/coach, hockey really has none of that except at the micro level).  And it gets rid of the tie, an unsatisfying end to the majority of hockey games that ended in ties.  On occasion you'd see a great game where both teams had their chances and couldn't make it happen and the tie was justified, but most of the time the game oozed to a slow dribble and stopped at an arbitrary time.

The NHL erred by not making the point system 3-2-1-0, but given that the Devils take full advantage of this by playing extremely low-event hockey in an attempt to get as many 3 point games as possible, I can't be all that upset about it.

Edited by Triumph, 15 February 2013 - 04:41 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#12 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,736 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

I simply don't care about it anymore. It's like the chase in NASCAR for me, I will never like either of them but I'm stuck with them so I've simply stopped caring.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 15 February 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#13 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Miss Parise on it

Minny lost in the shootout las night and Zach choked (he was great the first half of last year, then faded)

Big Gio was good for us back in the day too

#14 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

The NHL erred by not making the point system 3-2-1-0,

This is it dead on. Make the regulation win worth more then a shootout win and 90% of the issues people have with it go away.

Edited by Jimmy Leeds, 15 February 2013 - 06:32 PM.

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#15 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Is an OT win 2 or 3 points in that system?

Posted Image

#16 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,324 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

It's extremely boring. Just a lame skills competition.

The hockey game ends in a tie. Then a whole new 1 on 1 sport is played for 3 minutes and a team is given an extra point for no reason.

A shootout result is in no way intertwined with the result of a hockey game. Absolutely nothing is decided as a result of a shootout winner

Edited by '7', 15 February 2013 - 06:41 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#17 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,324 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

NHLPA has argued against a 10 minute overtime - sorry folks, you won't see it, ever.

Shootout is a good solution to an unsolvable problem - hockey games don't often have a winner after 60 minutes.  It showcases skills that players take years to develop and hardly ever get a chance to display, both for shooters and goalies.  It adds an interesting strategic element to a game often lacking in that department (whereas football and baseball you can routinely ask a fellow watcher, what would you do here if you were manager/coach, hockey really has none of that except at the micro level).  And it gets rid of the tie, an unsatisfying end to the majority of hockey games that ended in ties.  On occasion you'd see a great game where both teams had their chances and couldn't make it happen and the tie was justified, but most of the time the game oozed to a slow dribble and stopped at an arbitrary time.

The NHL erred by not making the point system 3-2-1-0, but given that the Devils take full advantage of this by playing extremely low-event hockey in an attempt to get as many 3 point games as possible, I can't be all that upset about it.

Ties still exist triumph. A shootout decides the shootout and has nothing to do with the game played beforehand. A shootout is a different sport.

The tie isn't unsatisfying. Both teams get a point...both teams are content. What's unsatisfying is a boring game. a 5-5 tie will usually be more exciting than a 1-0 shootout game. Nobody complained about ties in 1986...because hockey was exciting.

Hey, if you want less ties in the 65 minutes of real hockey...how about less parity, smaller goalie gear and ending the persistent creep of clutch and grab hockey. That way you don't have teams obstructing and playing prevent D the whole game in hopes of taking their chances in the shootout.

Edited by '7', 15 February 2013 - 06:49 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#18 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,861 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Don't like it. Never liked it. Never will like it.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#19 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

To me the novelty has worn off. I enjoyed it at first, but I would rather see the game ended as a team. 3 on 3 after the 4 on 4 would be better i think. But with that said I would rather have a shootout then end in a tie. I was need satisfied after a tie.

#20 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

On occasion you'd see a great game where both teams had their chances and couldn't make it happen and the tie was justified, but most of the time the game oozed to a slow dribble and stopped at an arbitrary time.

I think this could be avoided if they made wins count as three points and ties count as one.

It's extremely boring. Just a lame skills competition.

The hockey game ends in a tie. Then a whole new 1 on 1 sport is played for 3 minutes and a team is given an extra point for no reason.

A shootout result is in no way intertwined with the result of a hockey game. Absolutely nothing is decided as a result of a shootout winner

This is 100% exactly the way I think of shootouts too.  The game ends in a tie, and then a shootout takes place to add another point to the standings.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users