#21 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Btw did anyone cat h this gem last night? Saw it in one of their media outlets:

Flyers captain Claude Giroux, who had two assists. "It's a hard rink to play in. We got a 3-1 lead, we have to find a way to get it done. We have to learn from this."
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#22 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

its definitely a huge help, but lets not forget that so far we've seen a tuesday night sellout against carolina and a thursday night sellout against the islanders.   that never happened before in devil-land.

Definitely, but you also don't have to deal with October-December attendance (hurt by the NFL and other sports) in an 82-game season this year.  No pre-Thanksgiving games against Columbus in a 48-game season.

But yeah, games that would get 13,000 in a normal season selling out is a huge difference.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 16 February 2013 - 09:38 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#23 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

I was in 215 and I'm pretty sure that was the most Flyers fan populated area. At worst it was 70-30 NJ, but overall I'd say it was 85-15 or 90-10. Such a refreshing change from a couple of years ago

#24 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

You can definitely see at games how young our fan base really is and it's awesome.. They bring the passion and the energy.. Outsiders never believed us when we tried to explain this concept, but its showing now.

I think you touched on something important re: how young this franchise still is. I can remember the slams from Ranger fans starting while in college in 2001.. which was asinine looking back, because (at that time) the Devils were a 19 year old team. It takes DECADES to groom a die-hard passionate fanbase.. it just doesn't happen in 20 some odd years. It's a slow build, and for the Devils.. it's finally happening.
That 14 year old fan in 2010 is now 17. He's entering college, he can drive, and he has a job. THOSE are the fans I see at the Rock!

In all honesty I think people were afraid to go to Newark. When the playoffs came they said screw it, I have to go see them. When they got there, they noticed they didn't have to drive through the projects, park in well lit areas, and the whole atmosphere around the rock was pleasant. That part of newark is not a "bad" area, but I mean 5 blocks away it can turn pretty quickly.

..excellent point.

Edited by Beezer34, 16 February 2013 - 10:16 AM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#25 Hellacious_D

Hellacious_D

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

The condensed, intra conference schedule probably helps as well.

... this and also the timing of the start of the season.  VBK has always said in the past that attendance picks up after the NFL season ends and both the Jets and Giants missed the playoffs, so the NFL season ended here around New Years.  Plus the Nets are gone, but I don't know how much of an impact that has.

But the Devils have been discounting tickets - and just giving some away to STH's - as well.  Frankly, it's something they should've been doing for years.  Better to get something from a fan in a seat than nothing from an empty seat.

#26 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Also I think the Devils have done an excellent job with their email lists. They target their past ticket-buyers with emails publicizing upcoming games and make them enticing offers.

#27 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

... this and also the timing of the start of the season.  VBK has always said in the past that attendance picks up after the NFL season ends and both the Jets and Giants missed the playoffs, so the NFL season ended here around New Years.  Plus the Nets are gone, but I don't know how much of an impact that has.

But the Devils have been discounting tickets - and just giving some away to STH's - as well.  Frankly, it's something they should've been doing for years.  Better to get something from a fan in a seat than nothing from an empty seat.

Yeah, but you do that too much and the sth's start complaining that you get better value by being a single-game ticket buyer/internet discount hunter.  

I think part of the reason you do see a steady climb in attendance is the 3500+ sth's they've gained in the last two years.  You have to have a steady base to get consistently high numbers.  And they're gaining them because the sth prices in many sections (particuarly the 100's) are low enough to compete with the 'StubHub plan' most fans were going on before then :P

Edited by NJDevs4978, 16 February 2013 - 10:34 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#28 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

They do enough inside incentives to keep STH happy that I don't think many care about others in the arena for less who went "bargain shopping" and had to take their chances looking for tickets.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#29 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

They do enough inside incentives to keep STH happy that I don't think many care about others in the arena for less who went "bargain shopping" and had to take their chances looking for tickets.

Now they do, a few years ago before the Fan Experience Team really took shape (and before they slashed the sth prices in the 100 section), there was a lot of complaining about there not being enough incentive to buy sth's.  

Plus some of that depends how much you value the extras as a fan, personally I'm not sure you should be a STH if you DON'T value the team-related extras.  I've already sat behind the net in the lower bowl for a game and in a suite for another at no extra cost, so there's certainly some tangible benefits (also the f/b cards) even without stuff like the awards/practices/other team-related things.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 16 February 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#30 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

+1 - In all honesty I think people were afraid to go to Newark. When the playoffs came they said screw it, I have to go see them. When they got there, they noticed they didn't have to drive through the projects, park in well lit areas, and the whole atmosphere around the rock was pleasant. That part of newark is not a "bad" area, but I mean 5 blocks away it can turn pretty quickly. 

If they were that afraid don't you think attendance would have been worse? Around Phoenix levels? These same people weren't afraid of Izod and they were drawing 14,000 in a 19,000-seat arena. The Joe Louis Arena's location didn't affect attendance.

I think the organization is finally staring to get their act together off the ice though there's still room for improvement, ie reaching out to the non-STH. Lockouts and condensed scheduling have VERY little to do with it when people have said they refused to go to games when the season finally started and they've sold out weeknight games vs the NYI and Carolina Hurricanes.

Edited by Marv4Life, 16 February 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#31 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

I was in 215 and I'm pretty sure that was the most Flyers fan populated area. At worst it was 70-30 NJ, but overall I'd say it was 85-15 or 90-10. Such a refreshing change from a couple of years ago

Yeah what's up with the peeps in 215 selling their STH?!?! It was really the only section in the arena that had more than 5% Flyers fans. I was in 214, there were some orange d-bags in the back that got it REALLY bad at the end of the game, I mean REALLY bad. There were bottles chucked at them after the 5th goal, one of them threw their beer bottle at someone as he was walking out and at least 6-10 people in the first few rows threw sh!t on him, messed up his jersey pretty bad with beer and ketchup stains.

The d-bags in the back that were heckling Devils fans and cursing in front of kids earlier were thrown so many obscenities on their way down, they looked like they were about to cry. They were drunk as hell all game, I can't imagine how they didn't snap, they looked mortified and ready to explode.

Our fanbase has certainly grown some ginormous titanium balls this past year, which is something we've been missing for really long when playing against our rivals (for obvious reasons of our record with them in the 2000s).

Edited by DJ Eco, 16 February 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#32 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

I love home ice, and protecting our house, especially from dbags like Flyers fans, but the beer throwing is what them and the Rags do. I'd rather we were better.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#33 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

We definitely have way more swagger this year and less tolerance for bullsh!t from rival fans in our own building. Even when it was 3-1 after the first period last night, it was still pretty quiet from the Flyers' fans and when they did try to get loud, they got shut down quickly. It was really great to see.

believe-devs.jpg

#34 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

The atmosphere and support the fans have provided over the last few seasons building to what it is now makes me very proud. The fact so few Flyers and Rags fans have been getting tickets is really an awesome turn from days past.

#35 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

Was at the game last night.  I very very rarely get the chance to sit downstairs and I usually like sitting upper levels for sight reasons but I sat in section 4 row 7 last night and really got a good look at the upper sections and that building was PACKED and LOUD.  It was a great feeling.  It was a great time!

Posted Image Posted Image

#36 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

I love home ice, and protecting our house, especially from dbags like Flyers fans, but the beer throwing is what them and the Rags do. I'd rather we were better.

Oh well. That's what they get for starting crap to begin with.

Edited by Marv4Life, 16 February 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#37 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,934 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

On an unrelated note, was really hoping for a "We Still Own You" chant last night after the Devils took the lead in the third. The place seems packed, but wish the creative chanting continued from the second half of 2011-2012. If the crowd is still very young, we should be able to bring a college atmosphere at least in the uppers for games. Be it, heavy heckling of opposing goalies or chanting player's names after big goals. Would love to hear a "Clarky" chant in the same way as the "Marty" chant after big goals perhaps.

Maybe all this stuff happens, but hard to hear all the chants from TV.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#38 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Yeah what's up with the peeps in 215 selling their STH?!?! It was really the only section in the arena that had more than 5% Flyers fans. I was in 214, there were some orange d-bags in the back that got it REALLY bad at the end of the game, I mean REALLY bad. There were bottles chucked at them after the 5th goal, one of them threw their beer bottle at someone as he was walking out and at least 6-10 people in the first few rows threw sh!t on him, messed up his jersey pretty bad with beer and ketchup stains.

The d-bags in the back that were heckling Devils fans and cursing in front of kids earlier were thrown so many obscenities on their way down, they looked like they were about to cry. They were drunk as hell all game, I can't imagine how they didn't snap, they looked mortified and ready to explode.

Our fanbase has certainly grown some ginormous titanium balls this past year, which is something we've been missing for really long when playing against our rivals (for obvious reasons of our record with them in the 2000s).

What makes you think there are 'any' sth's in 215 to begin with?  At $29 a game almost in the corner, the only sth's up there are the handful who were paying $24 a few years back and got their prices frozen.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 16 February 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#39 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

On an unrelated note, was really hoping for a "We Still Own You" chant last night after the Devils took the lead in the third. The place seems packed, but wish the creative chanting continued from the second half of 2011-2012. If the crowd is still very young, we should be able to bring a college atmosphere at least in the uppers for games. Be it, heavy heckling of opposing goalies or chanting player's names after big goals. Would love to hear a "Clarky" chant in the same way as the "Marty" chant after big goals perhaps.

Maybe all this stuff happens, but hard to hear all the chants from TV.

That stuff takes time and usually a dedicated section to get it going.

Marty chants and Marty's Better happen.
Kovy chants happen.
Henrique chants happen.

For now, those are the regulars.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#40 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

. Good. We've finally said 'enough' with all the scumbag Rags and Phailures fans. We've sent the message that its our house, so stay the fvck out unless you wanna have a miserable time. They should know now if you come in wearing you're hideous orange or blue jerseys and act like an a$$hole, expect to leave in embarrassment. And expect to take your jersey to a dry cleaner I guess too lol.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users