82 replies to this topic

#41 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

That stuff takes time and usually a dedicated section to get it going.

Marty chants and Marty's Better happen.
Kovy chants happen.
Henrique chants happen.

For now, those are the regulars.

I love the chant from the movie the Wrestler. "You still suck" after the other team scores a goal.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#42 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Honestly, since I started driving and making it to games with friends starting a few years back, me and my couple of buddies have brought at least a dozen people to their first hockey game between us. I think hockey is a game that is not truly appreciated until you make it to a good game. Seeing the game being played, the crowd chanting, when the building is rocking, it's just a feeling that's hard to replicate elsewhere. That's what I think hockey has over other sports, that kind of intimate excitement because you're not nearly as far away from the action as you would be at a baseball game or football game.

The people who maybe came out for the playoffs last year that hadn't been to many games before, I think, felt what I described and the Devils organization did a good job of reeling these people in to be sth.

Edited by ATLL765, 16 February 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#43 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

I love home ice, and protecting our house, especially from dbags like Flyers fans, but the beer throwing is what them and the Rags do. I'd rather we were better.

Believe me when I say that it was not unprovoked. Drunk guys and girls in Phailure jerseys cursing loudly in front of families with little kids, etc... The guy who got stuff thrown at him was the first one to throw his bottle at someone near my row. Taking things into our own hands when security doesn't have the balls to kick these scumbags out, it's a way of crowd control and partly the reason we're seeing less and less of these dirtbags coming back. They're having some of the worst most embarassing experiences in their short years of hockey/alcoholism and the more we humiliate them after they step out of the line, the less likely they are to come back anytime soon. And the Devils winning consistently is a big help.

Edited by DJ Eco, 16 February 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#44 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,991 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I love seeing less and less away team fans. It's our building and it's nice to finally see our fans say f*ck you to the rest of the leagues fans.

#45 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I love seeing less and less away team fans. It's our building and it's nice to finally see our fans say f*ck you to the rest of the leagues fans.

..agreed.
Somehow I doubt we'll be seeing the Nordiques fans in Newark this season.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#46 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Believe me when I say that it was not unprovoked. Drunk guys and girls in Phailure jerseys cursing loudly in front of families with little kids, etc... The guy who got stuff thrown at him was the first one to throw his bottle at someone near my row. Taking things into our own hands when security doesn't have the balls to kick these scumbags out, it's a way of crowd control and partly the reason we're seeing less and less of these dirtbags coming back. They're having some of the worst most embarassing experiences in their short years of hockey/alcoholism and the more we humiliate them after they step out of the line, the less likely they are to come back anytime soon. And the Devils winning consistently is a big help.

Our fanbase is not devoid of idiots, but no fanbase is, except Nashville apparently where there was a fight at a game this week for the first time ever, which is amazing to me.

Back to my point though, whenever there's alcohol involved, there's going to be idiocy. I was in sec 212 for the game on Tuesday against Carolina and I should have expected it since it was a college night game, but one Devils fan was incessantly raining down the dumbest insults I have ever heard on a Canes fan a couple rows down. I let it go for a while since the Canes fan was engaging him back and it hadn't gotten too obnoxious yet, but by the 3rd, all this guy was yelling at the Canes fan, who at this point had ignored this guy for the past hour, was things about his junk and liking dick. To make it worse, his white trash gf was egging him on. I finally told him to just stfu and let me watch the damn game. I mean there were little kids right in front of me and this guy was going all game.

Imo, the way heckling works at a sporting event, is that you keep the insults sports or geography related and no one should care so long as you're not screaming swear words constantly in front of kids. It's when people gotta start yelling about how the other guy is a pos or anyone mentions a female, that's when things go downhill fast.

#47 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

The only thing I hate about the Rangers and especially the Flyers fanbase is they go into opposing arenas with some of them having the intention to cause problems. If you go into an opposing arena you should mind your manners. I dont care how they behave in their building but show some respect when you are on the road.

Edited by Zubie#8, 16 February 2013 - 02:08 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#48 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

The only thing I hate about the Rangers and especially the Flyers fanbase is they go into opposing arenas with some of them having the intention to cause problems. If you go into an opposing arena you should mind your manners. I dont care how they behave in their building but show some respect when you are on the road.

Completely agree. I see Flyer's fans as the most antagonistic, but the Ranger's fan's are generally more douchey. Flyer's fans are just always too drunk and too ready to fight over anything.

#49 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Completely agree. I see Flyer's fans as the most antagonistic, but the Ranger's fan's are generally more douchey. Flyer's fans are just always too drunk and too ready to fight over anything.

Speaking of Flyers fans, got this gem last night during the 2nd intermission

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#50 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Flyers fans more than Rangers. Rangers fans don't have that whole Broad Street Bullies mentality, many of them are our neighbors or coworkers. But the scumbags that come on a circlejerk bus from Philly come drunk and with their chests pumped out. When their team gives them anything to cheer about, they instantly become drunk hooligans and our security are too pansy to take any of them out. There was security around 214 that was personally ushering a Devils family out of the arena from 3 Philly chicks drunkly cursing them out, instead of just kicking the 3 Philly chicks out. Get your priorities straight, security!

#51 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

That's fair. I have no problem with defending ourselves. I've been at games where our fans harassed people for the crime of wearing an opposition jersey, and not in a fun way. I don't like that. As somebody said, when fans get drunk, they can act like a$$holes and cross the line. I just hope we don't become a fan base that does that now that we have more fans in the building.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#52 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Colin that photo is hilarious!

#53 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,871 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

I hope I am not the only one who thinks the quality of the security at the rock is terrible.

#54 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

yea they never stopped a tension during the rags or flyers series when there was a clear fight about to start. they suck at taking preemptive measures.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#55 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

I think it's just the fanbase is finally "growing up." Think about it... the Devils showed up into a state divided among the NYR and PHI faithful. They had to carve out a niche of those New Jerseyans with enough pride that they just couldn't root against a team that was billed as "Jersey's team." So you have those folks, and they become fans. As they get older, they have their kids, and those kids turn into Devils fans. Those kids get older, and the fanbase continues to grow outwardly in both directions. Now you've got kids like me who were just in their early teens during the Cup years, getting older (I turn 23 this month) and a lot of us are getting older, getting careers, becoming stable financially and now you're going to see folks like this going to the games. I think this is not "out of the normal." I think it's going to stay like this for a while. And I love it. Personally, I'm finally moving back to Jersey after 3 years in Florida (got stationed in Philly for the next four years!! woo) and I can't wait to finally fulfill a personal / financial goal that I have wanted to achieve since my Dad first brought me to a game in 96' when I was only 6 years old... gonna score those season tickets!! 

Anyway, it's a great time to be a Devils fan right now. Scratch that, it's always been a great time to be a Devils fan. Let's Go Devils!

#56 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

I hope I am not the only one who thinks the quality of the security at the rock is terrible.

I've seen more Devils fans on get kicked out over stupid sh!t than any fan on rivalry games get kicked out for throwing stuff at each other and fighting.

#57 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Attendance is up a lot league wide, not just for us. We are also counting playoff games and reg season games vs the rags and flyers in these sellout cries. I'm enjoying the increased support from the fans lets not get carried away quite yet

#58 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Colin that photo is hilarious!

I saw it happening in front of me and knew it was a moment that just had to be captured
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#59 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Speaking of Flyers fans, got this gem last night during the 2nd intermission

Wait. Who takes pictures of other dudes in the bathroom? That's kind of messed up man.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#60 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

Wait. Who takes pictures of other dudes in the bathroom? That's kind of messed up man.

When its a Flyer fan in a horse head mask, you take the picture
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users