177 replies to this topic

#121 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Just saying. Last season was the first season Parise was ever on the pk. And he wasn't even the top penalty killer.

#122 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Just saying. Last season was the first season Parise was ever on the pk. And he wasn't even the top penalty killer.

I am pretty sure he was on the PK before then.

#123 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

What is up with the bonehead penalties lately? Fayne vs Carolina takes a snapshot off his skate and then commits a blatant interference. Salvador tnite takes the dumbest penalty just because he was cleanly bodychecked. Both penalties absolutely killed us.

#124 enjoythesilence

enjoythesilence

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Fun fact: The Devils are 0-2-1 when Mark Fayne is not in the line-up. In those 3 losses they have given up 5 goals in each one. If they decide to sit him again for any reason other than injury, they're absolutely bonkers.

huh, interesting.  and on twitter, someone wrote the last time we lost 5-1, we won 5 straight.  lets hope lets hope.  but this wasnt the devils we are used to seeing.  they just didnt seem right to me in some ways

"They score! Henrique! It's over!"-Doc
"I couldn't be prouder of this group"-Pete DeBoer

#125 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

I agree too. 

See you may be making a point sitting a guy - but if you..  well the point made is: even a la-la Fayne is better than a lameass Tallinder.  Lesson learnt - Won't do it again.  If I'm Fayne that's what I'm thinking. You can't tell me he didn't know damm well what was going to happen  <_<  I'd have been an equally good sport about the benching

Tallinder and Salvadore I just have no faith in.  Vochenkov is beyond underwhelming. Why do I even have to pretend I like them?  Sal came up with the goods  -- but man those two are just so UN clutch.  NON CLUTCH!!  :rant:  They have no SACK much less filler required.   For f&*('s sake do we really want happy good natured defencemen - "ah but he's such a positive guy" "yeah - I just get a warm fuzzy when we helmet bump"  CMON!!!!  I despair of the whole thing. and I dont know what give with Volchenkov except a no trade clause.  :doh1:

I know  :lol:  that made me laugh....

I'd say the fact that we're 1st in the Conference and all our wins feature only 1 or 2 goals from the opposing team, they must be doing something right. They had a bad night.

#126 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

I am pretty sure he was on the PK before then.

There's a quote early in last season where he says he was surprised he was put out on the ok in a key situation cause he had never played the pk before.

#127 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

On days like this im focusing on the fact tht we almost didnt even got hockey this winter sooo...... Yay ?

www.SterioDesign.com

#128 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

There's a quote early in last season where he says he was surprised he was put out on the ok in a key situation cause he had never played the pk before.

That sounds like a quote from kovy

#129 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

We are a lousy face-off team

#130 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

ouch...oh well, it's not like we're gonna see Tavares in the playoffs 

#131 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

That sounds like a quote from kovy

100% positive it was Zach. It was late in the game and kovy wasn't consistently killing penalties yet.

#132 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

A few things I took away from this game:

- Barch is useless. I'm sorry, he's just useless. He's better than a lot of other enforcers we've had, but that doesn't make him worthwhile at all. He should play in Flyers and Rangers games and that's about it. But if they're determined to start him then...

- Josefson should sit and Loktionov should get a shot. Josefson has one point, an assist where the other team's defenseman made the pass for him. Can't hurt to try out someone else, especially since the PK has struggled lately anyway.

- Tallinder should never see another shift. He was bad all night. When he plays, he ends up on a pairing with Zids and Volch/Sal ends up as a pairing giving us two pairings that just don't work. Volch and Sal can be hidden when split up, but when they're together it's just bad news.

- Fayne should never sit unless he's hurt.

- That Salvador contract looks worse every day. He's a horrible captain and one of the weakest defensemen on the team.

That being said, this is obviously still a good team who is doing a lot more good than bad on almost a nightly basis. But there is definitely still room for improvement. Hopefully they use tonight as a wake-up call to realize they can't win just by showing up because they looked BAD tonight.

Edited by PWW, 16 February 2013 - 11:10 PM.

believe-devs.jpg

#133 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

I'd say the fact that we're 1st in the Conference and all our wins feature only 1 or 2 goals from the opposing team, they must be doing something right. They had a bad night.

First in the conference is WHY WE SUCK.  I HATE FIRST IN THE CONFERENCE BECAUSE a$$holES GET TO TROT IT OUT RUN IT UP THE FLAG POLE AND SALUTE THE fvckER WHILE SOMEONE ELSE SKATES OFF WITH THE CUP!  GET A CLUE!  :rant:  :rant:  just do NOT go there on me.  I hate few positions more.

I type the truth.  Our defence sucks.  it's serviceable AT BEST.  It's a scrap heap - and you've got to be fvcking Macgyver to make it work on a regular basis.  It woudl be nice if it was fvcking EASY one damned game.

I'm here for the party

#134 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

I have a solution to taking Sal out of the game without benching him: Let him dress, get ready to play and then let him hang out in the locker room.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#135 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

I don't think our defense sucks at all, I just think the choice of pairings tonight was incredibly bad. Tallinder and Zids play no defense. Volchenkov and Salvador are both slow and can't break out to save their lives. Why they didn't try Sal/Tallinder and Volch/Zids or vice versa I'll never know. However, I do know that Sal and A-Train should never be out there at the same time on a regular basis.

believe-devs.jpg

#136 RangersSuck23

RangersSuck23

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

This was probably said somewhere, but i don't feel like reading right now.  Tallinder needs to be traded cause he was just scary to watch and Fayne is too valuable to be a healthy scratch. Also, i felt like in the 2nd and 3rd we had very little time in their zone. Overall, poor performance, but we'll rebound next game

#137 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Good video highlights of A-Train's season thus far

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#138 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,510 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

100% positive it was Zach. It was late in the game and kovy wasn't consistently killing penalties yet.

kovalchuk killed penalties all of last year.  parise scored a shorthanded goal in the 2010 playoffs, pretty sure he's been used plenty on the PK by NJ before.

edit:  guess not, he played some on the PK in earlier seasons but certainly not regularly

Edited by Triumph, 16 February 2013 - 10:03 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#139 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

I have a solution to taking Sal out of the game without benching him: Let him dress, get ready to play and then let him hang out in the locker room.

"Sal -- just real quick before we head out there -- I've got this granny knot in my jock - can you untie this for me? Just come on out when you're done"  "sure man - I've got some a tweezers and a little soapy water --  it'll be out if a jiff!"

It's just so frustrating.  How can guys spend entire careers on the cusp like that?  How do you backslide so hard - and show no sign of coming out of it?  I hope it's oh me of little faith -- I do.

and sure its not so bad -- but I've got the freaking flu -- come on - just ONE solid turn...  I don't care about the loss it's the bad hockey I hate.  I just hate it -- it's ... whatever.

I'm here for the party

#140 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Moose deserved a better effort tonight. Sad that the score doesn't reflect his level of play.

815631765.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users