106 replies to this topic

#41 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

IDK about you, but I used to be pretty proud about how classy our fanbase used to be and our treatment towards other teams fans (outside of Philly and the Rags).  If you want to turn the Rock into the WF Center then be my guest but I refuse to lower myself to that filth.

I never said I wanted to do such a thing. I would never assault, threaten, personally attack, shout profanities, or throw anything at any other fans. But I would do my best to make sure they have a HORRIBLE experience otherwise in all things related to the game itself and make them never want to come back. These people didn't come to our building to play parcheesi and hold hands. They came here to root for the other team in OUR BUILDING. I will absolutely go out of my way to rub it in as much as possible when our team does something good. When we score and there are fans of the other team sitting around me, I will make sure to yell "You suck!" right in their general direction. I'll go to high-five fans of the other team as they leave early because they're getting whooped. And I will yell "You can have it!" during the Canadian anthem. I'd expect the same if I went into their arena.

believe-devs.jpg

#42 giodude

giodude

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

I don't know how you compare Goose Island to Budweiser? If anything it's a company like Sam Adams. It's not even sold in every liquor store around by me, only a couple stores have it. I've also seen Beck's, Bass and Newcastle which are great beers

Edited by giodude, 19 February 2013 - 12:47 PM.

Posted Image

#43 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Oh grow some thicker skin. I went to a game in Edmonton a few years ago and was called a "fat sh!thole American" by half of the crowd. I'm 5'11 145.

The Canadians loudly mock the national anthem and their captain is from the US. It's a sporting event you ninnies.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#44 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

I never said I wanted to do such a thing. I would never assault, threaten, personally attack, shout profanities, or throw anything at any other fans. But I would do my best to make sure they have a HORRIBLE experience otherwise in all things related to the game itself and make them never want to come back. These people didn't come to our building to play parcheesi and hold hands. They came here to root for the other team in OUR BUILDING. I will absolutely go out of my way to rub it in as much as possible when our team does something good. When we score and there are fans of the other team sitting around me, I will make sure to yell "You suck!" right in their general direction. I'll go to high-five fans of the other team as they leave early because they're getting whooped. And I will yell "You can have it!" during the Canadian anthem. I'd expect the same if I went into their arena.

I seriously hope you only act like this to people who are a$$holes and not to people who are just minding their own business. I go to many road games and I show respect and I get respect back.

Edited by Zubie#8, 19 February 2013 - 12:56 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#45 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I don't know how you compare Goose Island to Budweiser? If anything it's a company like Sam Adams. It's not even sold in every liquor store around by me, only a couple stores have it. I've also seen Beck's, Bass and Newcastle which are great beers

Becks is alright.  However in Germany outside of Bremen it is considered lesser beer they send over to the Americans to drink.

Bass and Newcastle are just beers I don't care for.  Nothing against them, just do not like them.

Goose Island is owned by the same brewing conglomerate InBev as Budweiser as well as a bunch of others.  It is mass-produced swill.  While Sam Adams is still considered craft beer and straddling the line with that, they are still light years better than anything InBev produces and just comparing the two is a crime.

Outside of MSG and WF Center, I have never gotten that sort of treatment from other teams fans.

I am actually emabarassed for you right now if you really do those things.

#46 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

How about 'Respect'?  You can have a loud and rabid fanbase & show respect to others. We shouldn't have to stoop to the bottom of the barrel just to have an identity as a fanbase.  The future of Devils fans will be with the 5-12 year olds.  Hopefully the parents of those kids don't stop coming to games the next 5 years because of the bottom dwelling, i pay so I can say whatever I want mentality.  And yes, I wish our fans sang the US anthem with enthusiasm the way we clap for the US troop who comes to our game.

#47 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

I seriously hope you only act like this to people who are a$$holes and I not to people who are just minding their business. I go to many road games and I show respect and I get respect back.

Obviously I don't pick out people who are just sitting there quietly enjoying the game and kids are off limits. But if they're high-fiving or if they start celebrating or yell anything anti-Devils, they're gonna hear it. Basically, if you stay low-key and just watch, I'm not gonna give you any sh!t. But don't expect me to sit on my hands if you come into The Rock and start jumping up and down in glee when your team is beating mine.

Edited by PWW, 19 February 2013 - 01:00 PM.

believe-devs.jpg

#48 crashline

crashline

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I only like the Rangers suck chant when we actually play them.  To hear it 10 times a game when we are not even playing them is again more inferiority complex crap.

I also hate how the Diablos do the D-E-V-I-L-S chant EVERY period.  It used to be special when Baumann did it only once a game usually in the 2nd period.  Now it is just another chant from a guy in sec 122 who doesn't even do it well.

Agreed and agreed. The Rangers Suck chant is awesome when we play them, but when we're not, what's the point? I've mentioned this before, but I couldn't believe how many people tried to start it up during the SCF last year against LA. Also, if you can't whistle too good, please don't even try it at all.

I liked the idea of the Diablos section as our arena has had the reputation of being very quiet, but I must agree that some of the chants could use some improvement. Not to disrespect anyone in that section, but some of the chants really are overkill as DevsMan suggested.
Posted Image

#49 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Obviously I don't pick out people who are just sitting there quietly enjoying the game and kids are off limits. But if they're high-fiving or if they start celebrating or yell anything anti-Devils, they're gonna hear it. Basically, if you stay low-key and just watch, I'm not gonna give you any sh!t. But don't expect me to sit on my hands if you come into The Rock and start jumping up and down in glee when your team is beating mine.

Ok thats good to hear at least. :thumbsup:

believe-zubrus.jpg

#50 giodude

giodude

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Becks is alright.  However in Germany outside of Bremen it is considered lesser beer they send over to the Americans to drink.

Bass and Newcastle are just beers I don't care for.  Nothing against them, just do not like them.

Goose Island is owned by the same brewing conglomerate InBev as Budweiser as well as a bunch of others.  It is mass-produced swill.  While Sam Adams is still considered craft beer and straddling the line with that, they are still light years better than anything InBev produces and just comparing the two is a crime.

Well I do agree the selection isn't fantastic, I would love to see some NJ beers like Flying Fish or Riverhorse. Maybe even bring in some Brooklyn Lager, Magic Hat, Harpoon. That would be great
Posted Image

#51 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

I only like the Rangers suck chant when we actually play them.  To hear it 10 times a game when we are not even playing them is again more inferiority complex crap.

I also hate how the Diablos do the D-E-V-I-L-S chant EVERY period.  It used to be special when Baumann did it only once a game usually in the 2nd period.  Now it is just another chant from a guy in sec 122 who doesn't even do it well.

Not sure if this is directed at me since i do start the chant from time to time but if you want to go back to those dead quiet days, please send a letter to the devils organization since they went out of their way to support how much passion we bring to each game from the days of missing the playoffs when none of the clowns in any section made a peep. We formed to take the matter to our own hands and start the crowd up much like a fight and all the players have nothing but positive things to say about what they feel. 

Btw, I never heard the Diablos do the spelled chant more than once. I hear it from other parts in different periods. We only do it once usually, and do the usual let's go devils throughout whenever they need a pick me up. Kill chant is obviously the trademark that is just the most badass. You can hear it in every highlight and every broadcast even if they try to mute the crowd noise.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat, 19 February 2013 - 01:13 PM.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#52 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Not sure if this is directed at me since i do start the chant from time to time but if you want to go back to those dead quiet days, please send a letter to the devils organization since they went out of their way to support how much passion we bring to each game from the days of missing the playoffs when none of the clowns in any section made a peep. We formed to take the matter to our own hands and start the crowd up much like a fight and all the players have nothing but positive things to say about what they feel.

It was quiet that year because the devils had their worst season in about 20 years.

Plus the devils organization management to squeeze out most of the original people in that section when they decided to make it season ticket holders only so I doubt a letter will help.

No I was not directing it specifically at you and even others are agreeing with me here.

#53 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

The point is, they started the magical run for the comeback after we cared enough to make some noise and they commented on how the crowd was louder and they were doing so much better knowing we cared. We were not that far from playoffs that year, don't forget. So minus an a$$hole coach that ruined a year, it was a great year for turning the arena to a place with a presence. 

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#54 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

The point is, they started the magical run for the comeback after we cared enough to make some noise and they commented on how the crowd was louder and they were doing so much better knowing we cared. We were not that far from playoffs that year, don't forget. So minus an a$$hole coach that ruined a year, it was a great year for turning the arena to a place with a presence. 

That was my second favorite year to be a season ticket holder. It was just a hell of a roller coaster ride.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#55 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

A hostile arena is a loud arena. Having a reputation as being a place that gives you hell if you come in wearing another team's jersey means less non-Devils fans which then means more fans working together to make it as loud as possible for OUR team. I can't see how this is a bad thing.

believe-devs.jpg

#56 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

No no no, no one is saying that. I love a loud arena, the loudest chants are not these silly chants. We have been louder in terms of cheering the team after a great shift, or a huge PK. We are now chanting players names after they scored or made a big play or save. I use to remember I was the only one clapping for an icing, now its a solid applause for icings. The Kill chant is great for the PK and we are getting the team going with many well timed Lets Go Devils chants. We are indeed louder and much more into the game but its not because of these stupid chants.

Many Devils fans are being offended as well. Always remember that.

Agree with the well-timed "Let's Go Devils!" chants. It seems like such a small thing, but in past years, we weren't so quick to get a big "Let's Go Devils!" chant going right after an opposing team's goal. I've noticed this season that the arena gets it going within 30 seconds, especially after a winning faceoff and some possession time setting up. It's a great thing.

#57 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

How about 'Respect'?  You can have a loud and rabid fanbase & show respect to others. We shouldn't have to stoop to the bottom of the barrel just to have an identity as a fanbase.  The future of Devils fans will be with the 5-12 year olds.  Hopefully the parents of those kids don't stop coming to games the next 5 years because of the bottom dwelling, i pay so I can say whatever I want mentality.  And yes, I wish our fans sang the US anthem with enthusiasm the way we clap for the US troop who comes to our game.

This, exactly. It's not about growing a "thicker skin." It's about simple decency. We can be enthusiastic without being insulting during the anthems, and certainly without the crassness of the suck/swallows/watches chants and the like.

I don't have kids, but it's gotten to a point that whenever I invite people with kids to a game, or when I gave away my kid's ticket vouchers, I feel like I have to warn the parents about the things they're going to hear during the game. It's ridiculous that grown people think it's funny to yell those kinds of things in public with kids around. (And by the way, it's not just the college kids doing it.)

Now, as I've said in these threads before, I do believe that everybody who buys a ticket gets to choose how they cheer the team. If you want to act like a disgusting idiot, I suppose that's your prerogative. But don't tell yourself that you're not acting like a disgusting idiot. You are. You're disrespecting the people around you -- Devils fans and opposing fans alike -- and whether you know it or not, you're also disrespecting yourself.

#58 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,431 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Some people really need to understand the difference between intimidating and being a jerk. How about instead of causing other teams' fans not to come because of bad behavior, we cause them not to come by buying more tickets ourselves? :P

Or instead of causing fans to fear coming here because we're jerks, they don't come out of respect for how loud the fanbase is and how much we razz their team on the ice instead of razzing them as individuals in the stands?

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 February 2013 - 01:37 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#59 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Some people really need to understand the difference between intimidating and being a jerk. How about instead of causing other teams' fans not to come because of bad behavior, we cause them not to come by buying more tickets ourselves? :P

Or instead of causing fans to fear coming here because we're jerks, they don't come out of respect for how loud the fanbase is and how much we razz their team on the ice instead of razzing them as individuals in the stands?

How dare you be sensible on here!

#60 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

I agree with the hostility, mocking, and taunting only when we play the Flyers or Rangers. I genuinely don't care enough to get in an argument with a Penguins or Bruins or Canadiens fan when we play them. If they get too loud and obnoxious, at most, I'll keep it sarcastic and playful and always hockey-related.

As for the "Rangers suck!" chant, there's a fine line. I think it's funny and has become a tradition. Essentially, we're mocking their "Potvin sucks!" chant. Don't forget how many closeted (or sometimes blueshirt-wearing) Rangers fans come along to our arena for every game because of the cheap tickets. Let them know how you feel! Hell, there were 6 jersey-wearing Rangers fans in my section during the Lightning game, why the hell wouldn't we make the section hostile and uninviting toward them? This is our rivalry, this is who we hate. We hate their general manager, we still hate and mock Sean Avery, we think Lundqvist is an underachieving joke of a "King". The "Rangers suck!" chant has become "our thing", accept it.

However, I said there's a fine line. When we're down 4-0 in the 1st and the Rangers just scored on Boston in the out of town scoreboard, THAT IS NOT THE RIGHT TIME TO START WHISTLING THE "RANGERS SUCK!" CHANT... Only then am I in agreement with those of you that hate it. Starting that chant 6 times a period while we're losing and playing sh!tty hockey is a dumb move, don't do it, and don't partake in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users