106 replies to this topic

#61 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Whether some want to admit it or not, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.  I for 1 am appreciative of the noise being brought by the Diablos (the "kill" chant is growing and catching on throughout the arena), love the Baumann chant from my days growing up, and am happy that there is some sort of atmosphere at most games now.  But the "Flyers swallows" part of the Rangers suck chant is beyond low class and has to stop.  

As far as the other teams fans go, if they are respectful and just rooting for their team, then so be it.  But if they come in to the Rock acting like an a$$, then give them hell for all I care so long as it doesn't get physical and profanities aren't thrown around every other word.  You know, or should know, what you are getting into going into another teams arena and should act accordingly.  Every time I've gone to MSG or the FU/WF Center wearing my Devils jersey, I root for the team and never make a comment back to anyone else.  Usually those nit-wits have something stupid to say, but as long as you don't feed the beast, you'll be fine.  I expect the same from visiting fans in our arena. 

Posted Image

#62 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Some people really need to understand the difference between intimidating and being a jerk. How about instead of causing other teams' fans not to come because of bad behavior, we cause them not to come by buying more tickets ourselves? :P

Or instead of causing fans to fear coming here because we're jerks, they don't come out of respect for how loud the fanbase is and how much we razz their team on the ice instead of razzing them as individuals in the stands?

:clap2:

#63 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Some people really need to understand the difference between intimidating and being a jerk. How about instead of causing other teams' fans not to come because of bad behavior, we cause them not to come by buying more tickets ourselves? :P

Or instead of causing fans to fear coming here because we're jerks, they don't come out of respect for how loud the fanbase is and how much we razz their team on the ice instead of razzing them as individuals in the stands?

Luckily, we are getting closer and closer to the first part of this being true. Season tickets are really affordable and our STH base keeps growing, which is great. Hell, I've been at every game this season and if I DO have to sell my tickets for some reason, I do my best to make sure they go to Devils fans.

However, the second part is just fantasy. Has anyone honestly not gone to another team's arena out of fear of how much they'd cheer or how loud they'd be while watching the game? You have to have a healthy balance of both cheering and razzing without crossing a line unless a team just straight up becomes a dynasty and no visitors want to go because they know their team has a low chance of winning, which just isn't a possibility for almost every team in the NHL. You can absolutely razz other fans individually without being offensive or a douchebag.I mean, I don't even yell "Flyers Swallow" cuz I don't like it and you won't hear me yelling "Rangers suck" or "You suck" after a goal if we're not winning. However, I see no problem with razzing at all as long as it's based solely on the sport and their choice of team and nothing profane or personal. But maybe that's just me.

Edited by PWW, 19 February 2013 - 01:47 PM.

oKCiNj.jpg

#64 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

It's easier said than done. When going to a Devils game is ALWAYS the cheaper option for a Rangers fan or Flyers fan, they're going to go on StubHub and buy tickets, simple as that. You're not taking into account the amount of antagonism and drunken hostility that comes with having a few Flyers fans in your row. What do you do when a Flyers fan chick tells a mom "I hope you die of breast cancer!" (actually heard this during the playoffs last year) after the mom told her to stop cursing? Prudential Center security sure as sh!t won't kick her out, they never do.

Fact is, we don't want those types of people coming to our arena anymore. When they get loud and the Devils end up winning, we have full license to humiliate and offend them. If you don't think that has been an active cause of why we're seeing less and less Flyers/Rangers fans in our arena, you need to get real! The loudmouth Rangers or Flyers fan that thought he was going to have full reign at The Rock to have a nice evening, get drunk, and be irresponsible, and NOT get kicked out by security, they need the rude awakening and Devils fans are growing some balls. The unfortunate side effect is that it pours over into other games, but I like rivalry games at The Rock WAY more now than I did 3-4 years ago so it's good enough for me.

If you're a Devils fan you need to know what you're getting into by bringing your kids to one of the uppers/200s sections during a Devils-Flyers game. There's a lot of things you can't bring your kids to: R-rated movies, nightclubs. I hate to sound harsh but the responsible adult should know better before getting tickets to the upper sections in these games specifically.

Let me just add that, to all of you saying that some of the idiots should COOL IT during non-rival or non-division games, I completely agree.

#65 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

If you're a Devils fan you need to know what you're getting into by bringing your kids to one of the uppers/200s sections during a Devils-Flyers game. There's a lot of things you can't bring your kids to: R-rated movies, nightclubs. I hate to sound harsh but the responsible adult should know better before getting tickets to the upper sections in these games specifically.

Let me just add that, to all of you saying that some of the idiots should COOL IT during non-rival or non-division games, I completely agree.

The problem is, it's not just the 200's.  It's all over, including the balconies where a lot of kids are.  I try to avoid taking my kids to Flyers/Rags games, but the stupidity pervades even at games against Tampa, although to a lesser extent.  I finally realized the extent of the problem last week when, at the end of the "Rangers sucks chant," when the guys behind us started withteh Flyers swallow and Crosby watches, the 10 year old sitting in front of me turned around and told them that they had the chant wrong and it was "Parise watches."  The kid is cool as hell and has no idea exactly what they are talking about, but it shows how much this is starting to extend into the fanbase.

Plus, a sporting event is not an R-rated movie or a nightclub.  It is meant to be family entertainment especially for teams like the Devils that don't sell a ton of seats to corporations.

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 19 February 2013 - 02:31 PM.

Posted Image

#66 RangersSuck23

RangersSuck23

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

I never said I wanted to do such a thing. I would never assault, threaten, personally attack, shout profanities, or throw anything at any other fans. But I would do my best to make sure they have a HORRIBLE experience otherwise in all things related to the game itself and make them never want to come back. These people didn't come to our building to play parcheesi and hold hands. They came here to root for the other team in OUR BUILDING. I will absolutely go out of my way to rub it in as much as possible when our team does something good. When we score and there are fans of the other team sitting around me, I will make sure to yell "You suck!" right in their general direction. I'll go to high-five fans of the other team as they leave early because they're getting whooped. And I will yell "You can have it!" during the Canadian anthem. I'd expect the same if I went into their arena.

You're embarrassing, but then i saw you're response to Zubie so i take this back a bit.  Give this to the a$$hole fans, not just the normal, everyday fans who go to watch the game cause their team is in town

Edited by RangersSuck23, 19 February 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#67 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

The problem is, it's not just the 200's.  It's all over, including the balconies where a lot of kids are.  I try to avoid taking my kids to Flyers/Rags games, but the stupidity pervades even at games against Tampa, although to a lesser extent.  I finally realized the extent of the problem last week when, at the end of the "Rangers sucks chant," when the guys behind us started withteh Flyers swallow and Crosby watches, the 10 year old sitting in front of me turned around and told them that they had the chant wrong and it was "Parise watches."  The kid is cool as hell and has no idea exactly what they are talking about, but it shows how much this is starting to extend into the fanbase.

Plus, a sporting event is not an R-rated movie or a nightclub.  It is meant to be family entertainment especially for teams like the Devils that don't sell a ton of seats to corporations.

Fair enough. I know I'm coming off as a bit rough and tough, but I generally do agree that I hate when fans "cross the line" at a Sabres or Jets or Bruins game. There's really no rivalry to speak of, so 9 times out of 10, we'd have to assume that the Devils fan is the firestarter, or drunk. I remember once last year a group of 4-5 fans, probably in their mid-20s absolutely tearing apart two Winnipeg fans, completely unprovoked. It stands out in my mind still because of how harsh they were. Winnipeg hadn't been in the league for HOW many years? Can't imagine what could have caused them to rail them so hard outside of being way too drunk.

Also, I agree that disrespecting any national anthem in any way is unacceptable.

#68 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,884 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

It's easier said than done. When going to a Devils game is ALWAYS the cheaper option for a Rangers fan or Flyers fan, they're going to go on StubHub and buy tickets, simple as that. You're not taking into account the amount of antagonism and drunken hostility that comes with having a few Flyers fans in your row. What do you do when a Flyers fan chick tells a mom "I hope you die of breast cancer!" (actually heard this during the playoffs last year) after the mom told her to stop cursing? Prudential Center security sure as sh!t won't kick her out, they never do.

Fact is, we don't want those types of people coming to our arena anymore. When they get loud and the Devils end up winning, we have full license to humiliate and offend them. If you don't think that has been an active cause of why we're seeing less and less Flyers/Rangers fans in our arena, you need to get real! The loudmouth Rangers or Flyers fan that thought he was going to have full reign at The Rock to have a nice evening, get drunk, and be irresponsible, and NOT get kicked out by security, they need the rude awakening and Devils fans are growing some balls. The unfortunate side effect is that it pours over into other games, but I like rivalry games at The Rock WAY more now than I did 3-4 years ago so it's good enough for me.

lol at thinking fans' vigilante behavior is the reason there are fewer Ranger/Flyer fans as opposed to the 3500 new sth's and a conscious effort by the Devils to get tickets in the hands of other Devils fans during the playoffs.

Pretty much the only thing you said I agree with is that security is part of the problem, they're more likely to throw out a Devils fan for something trivial than appear biased by throwing out a Ranger fan for something worse.

I'm all for giving it to people that 'deserve' it like the jerk Flyer fan in your example, but there's a big difference between that and actively starting trouble yourself. Some Kings fan who pretty much minded his own business all night got beer spilled on him after Game 2 last year. That isn't the kind of nonsense we need to encourage.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 February 2013 - 02:42 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#69 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

I agree with those who draw the line between "Rangers suck," and "Flyers swallow."  And it is incredibly juvenile to disrespect another country's national anthem, especially when the team you are there to root for has a bunch of players from that country.  It would be juvenile and stupid at a USA vs. Canada game and it's even dumber when it's an NHL game with rosters of mixed citizenship.

I'm all about a loud arena that keeps the visiting a$$holes away, and I don't really give a crap if people who start chants are doing it slightly wrong because at least they are trying, but that doesn't mean everything goes.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#70 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Oh grow some thicker skin. I went to a game in Edmonton a few years ago and was called a "fat sh!thole American" by half of the crowd. I'm 5'11 145.

The Canadians loudly mock the national anthem and their captain is from the US. It's a sporting event you ninnies.

Amen, people take chants and cursing way too seriously nowadays. Some of my best childhood memories going to games were watching fights and learning new curse words. It's a sporting event with people having fun for a few hours. No one is saying you have to like it but we don't need thread after thread of people bitching and moaning about it every year. Just don't participate if it bothers you.

Remember, Canada sucks, Pat Quinn swallows!

Ok, I'm kidding about that first part, I love Canada!

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#71 RangersSuck23

RangersSuck23

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

The National Anthem heckling is just terrible.  No place in ANY sport for that. In terms of the chants at the arena, when we play the Flyers, Rangers, or Montreal (because frankly i cannot stand them and their snubbing of every other team since they are historically the best team in hockey blah blah blah, they are douchebags) The chants after Flyers swallow are just ridiculous and represent the Devils in a very negative light.  I would hope that those guys could somehow get embarrassed during the game but sadly it never happens.  I want teams that come play the Devils to be agitated and annoyed by the crowd NOISE not the stupid slurs thrown at them.  Some people have to come to their senses and just grow up already

#72 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,298 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I liked the idea of the Diablos section as our arena has had the reputation of being very quiet, but I must agree that some of the chants could use some improvement. Not to disrespect anyone in that section, but some of the chants really are overkill as DevsMan suggested.

The Devils are their own worst enemy. The Diablos section could have been something great but they wanted to limit it to full season ticket holders and the end result is what you end up with.

#73 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

No one is saying you have to like it but we don't need thread after thread of people bitching and moaning about it every year.

We also don't need people acting that way during the games in the first place.

#74 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

lol at thinking fans' vigilante behavior is the reason there are fewer Ranger/Flyer fans as opposed to the 3500 new sth's and a conscious effort by the Devils to get tickets in the hands of other Devils fans during the playoffs.

Pretty much the only thing you said I agree with is that security is part of the problem, they're more likely to throw out a Devils fan for something trivial than appear biased by throwing out a Ranger fan for something worse.

I'm all for giving it to people that 'deserve' it like the jerk Flyer fan in your example, but there's a big difference between that and actively starting trouble yourself. Some Kings fan who pretty much minded his own business all night got beer spilled on him after Game 2 last year. That isn't the kind of nonsense we need to encourage.

Omg I remember that poor Kings fan. He was the quietest guy in the whole section. I felt bad for him, and I got hit with that beer too.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#75 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

We also don't need people acting that way during the games in the first place.

Exactly.  There has always been some degree of this throughout the years, but since the Devils moved to Newark it has just gotten worse and worse.

What I used to see when I was younger at CAA in the 90's on a very rare occasion has now gotten to be where I see it almost every game and it is disgusting.

Dammit stop being so rational about all this! lol

#76 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,298 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Exactly.  There has always been some degree of this throughout the years, but since the Devils moved to Newark it has just gotten worse and worse.

What I used to see when I was younger at CAA in the 90's on a very rare occasion has now gotten to be where I see it almost every game and it is disgusting.

I wouldn't say it's really that much worse now, maybe you just don't remember the Meadowlands that well, especially during the Flyers and Rangers games there use to be full out brawls during some games back at the Meadowlands. I remember one game vividly where about 4 rows of fans got kicked out of my section during a Flyers game and one of the fans actually punched one of the bigger female guards in the face and she came back and destroyed him.

I've seen a fan get thrown down 14 rows of the upper deck in Boston during our 03 playoff series against them.

I've seen a Penguins fan get punched in the face by a Rangers fan during their playoff series a few years ago and then get thrown out of the game by security when the Penguins fan did nothing.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 19 February 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#77 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

I wouldn't say it's really that much worse now, maybe you just don't remember the Meadowlands that well, especially during the Flyers and Rangers games there use to be full out brawls during some games back at the Meadowlands. I remember one game vividly where about 4 rows of fans got kicked out of my section during a Flyers game and one of the fans actually punched one of the bigger female guards in the face and she came back and destroyed him.

I've seen a fan get thrown down 14 rows of the upper deck in Boston during our 03 playoff series against them.

I've seen a Penguins fan get punched in the face by a Rangers fan during their playoff series a few years ago and then get thrown out of the game by security when the Penguins fan did nothing.

Oh I remember those fights at Rags and Flyers games.  I was mostly talking outside of those.

It is like now there is a competition between guys ages 21-35 of who can be the most obnoxious, drunk jackass at the game.  IDK but I am there mostly for the game and to have a little fun, not get into a dumb fight.

#78 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

As much as I dislike the Canes, I have never had an issue or problem in the stands. Their fans are typically very nice - whether they win or lose and I have no qualms walking out in the parking lot after the game to my car. All arenas should be like that.
It's the whiskey talking.

#79 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Any time there's a huge public gathering, there are going to be individuals who get out of control, especially if there's alcohol available. And you're probably right; the incidence of fighting and such probably is not any greater now than it ever was. But this is not at all what I'm addressing. There's a big difference between that and the fact that a large portion of our fan base shouts out a sexually explicit chant, loudly and repeatedly, throughout every game we play. This is most definitely worse than it was in the past.

#80 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I agree with those who draw the line between "Rangers suck," and "Flyers swallow."  And it is incredibly juvenile to disrespect another country's national anthem, especially when the team you are there to root for has a bunch of players from that country.  It would be juvenile and stupid at a USA vs. Canada game and it's even dumber when it's an NHL game with rosters of mixed citizenship.

I'm all about a loud arena that keeps the visiting a$$holes away, and I don't really give a crap if people who start chants are doing it slightly wrong because at least they are trying, but that doesn't mean everything goes.

I have no problem with "Rangers suck" I don't know how many of you are aware but this is 2013 and the word "sucks" isn't a dirty one anymore. It's commonplace and to many people chanting "Rangers suck" just is another meaning for saying RANGERS STINK.

The Flyers swallow part I can get the hate. If you have a kid and they ask what that means it might be uncomfortable however that's as easy as just telling your kid "That's something adults say. Don't forget that."

Between some of our fans not liking the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow" chant, the chanting after we score and even the "KILL KILL KILL" chant it seems to me that a lot of our fanbase either:

A) Just likes to complain

and/or

B) Wants the game to be as quiet as possible. (Ironic since we have the Diablos.)

There is however no excuse for the Anthem crap. That's just horrid on any level.

Edited by TheMazz, 19 February 2013 - 04:31 PM.

n2eg.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users