106 replies to this topic

#81 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I have no problem with "Rangers suck" I don't know how many of you are aware but this is 2013 and the word "sucks" isn't a dirty one anymore. It's commonplace and to many people chanting "Rangers suck" just is another meaning for saying RANGERS STINK.

The Flyers swallow part I can get the hate. If you have a kid and they ask what that means it might be uncomfortable however that's as easy as just telling your kid "That's something adults say. Don't forget that."

Between some of our fans not liking the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow" chant, the chanting after we score and even the "KILL KILL KILL" chant it seems to me that a lot of our fanbase either:

A) Just likes to complain

and/or

B) Wants the game to be as quiet as possible. (Ironic since we have the Diablos.)

There is however no excuse for the Anthem crap. That's just horrid on any level.

Where did I post that I do not like the Rangers Suck chant because of the word sucks?

What I do not like about it is that when it is done 10 times during games where we are NOT EVEN PLAYING THE RAGS is really comes off as us having a huge obsession and inferiority complex at them.  Our team miles better than their team and so is our fan base.  However that chant just really comes off as a whiney little brother crying for attention.

#82 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Where did I post that I do not like the Rangers Suck chant because of the word sucks?

What I do not like about it is that when it is done 10 times during games where we are NOT EVEN PLAYING THE RAGS is really comes off as us having a huge obsession and inferiority complex at them.  Our team miles better than their team and so is our fan base.  However that chant just really comes off as a whiney little brother crying for attention.

Oh I wasn't talking about you specifically I was going on about in general.

n2eg.jpg

#83 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Oh I wasn't talking about you specifically I was going on about in general.

Oh ok sorry about that but my arguement is still the same.  I am not upset about the word, just when the chant is used and how often it is used.

#84 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Oh ok sorry about that but my arguement is still the same.  I am not upset about the word, just when the chant is used and how often it is used.

I agree that it shouldn't be used during blowout games. But to be used during every game doesnt bother me as much I suppose. To me it keeps the rivalry alive when we don't see the Rangers.

But when this team is losing...say 4-0 it makes no sense.

n2eg.jpg

#85 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

I don't think screaming "You can have it" is so bad, I've done it before. What aggravates me more than anything is the lack of interest in singing the national anthem by some people. I always make it a point to sing along to it and it would be awesome if one day the whole arena did. And when people don't stand and cheer for the Vet of the game. It's the freaking least you could do. That drives me up a wall

#86 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

No one sings along to it here like they do in Canada. Is it right? Not really, I'd like to see it too...I don't even see a lot of people put their hands over their hearts. However, it's not like we are the only arena NOT to sing along to the US anthem.

n2eg.jpg

#87 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

I don't think screaming "You can have it" is so bad, I've done it before. What aggravates me more than anything is the lack of interest in singing the national anthem by some people. I always make it a point to sing along to it and it would be awesome if one day the whole arena did. And when people don't stand and cheer for the Vet of the game. It's the freaking least you could do. That drives me up a wall

I stand when I think they deserve it. Sometimes, there's someone in the service who hasn't ever been deployed yet, like they just got a guy in training in a uniform to fill the spot. I'm of the opinion that too much of our money goes to the military, so no, I won't get up, stand, and clap unless the guy has seen some really messed up stuff or been to Afghanistan 4 times. The guy who got the medal of honor and was honored last Friday, who went past enemy lines to rescue a bunch of other soldiers, he is a great example of someone I got up and cheered loudly for.

We have as much right not to get up and clap wildly for the "hero of the game" than you have the right at taking a slight jab at the Canadian anthem, and I mean that in the most respectful way possible.

Edited by DJ Eco, 19 February 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#88 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I stand when I think they deserve it. Sometimes, there's someone in the service who hasn't ever been deployed yet, like they just got a guy in training in a uniform to fill the spot. I'm of the opinion that too much of our money goes to the military, so no, I won't get up, stand, and clap unless the guy has seen some really messed up stuff or been to Afghanistan 4 times. The guy who got the medal of honor and was honored last Friday, who went past enemy lines to rescue a bunch of other soldiers, he is a great example of someone I got up and cheered loudly for.

We have as much right not to get up and clap wildly for the "hero of the game" than you have the right at taking a slight jab at the Canadian anthem, and I mean that in the most respectful way possible.

I don't really agree with that. Even if the person hasn't been deployed he still is putting his live on the line for the sake of this countries freedom. Just because he/she hasn't been deployed yet doesn't mean they won't be. They still signed up to protect your freedom. I have always respected military personel regardless of past service deployments.

Now it's a bit different. I grew up in a family that served but no one actively serving. Once I married my wife it became even more personal in that she has a cousin in literally all fields of the military besides the Air Force I believe....with her cousin, who is my son's Godfather and I'm closest to of all her family members, in the Army currently in the middle of his 3rd tour, this time in Afghanastan.

These people deserve your respect 100% of the time.

Also, I know you didn't mean any disrespect by your post...

Edited by Coorslight, 19 February 2013 - 06:23 PM.

1dun.jpg

#89 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Yes, because the Canadian national anthem protects your very right for that freedom day in and day out, just as much as soldiers do.

It doesn't matter if they have been deployed yet. In signing up for the military, you are making a commitment strong enough and are aware of the grave consequences. That, to me, is worth a standing ovation in itself

#90 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,200 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

No one sings along to it here like they do in Canada. Is it right? Not really, I'd like to see it too...I don't even see a lot of people put their hands over their hearts. However, it's not like we are the only arena NOT to sing along to the US anthem.

I don't put my hand over my heart because its the anthem not the pledge of allegiance. I do sing along and look at the flag though.

That's the whole problem, there are so many different opinions on these kind of things that you can never make anyone happy.

#91 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

If you think that's bad, you should hear what they do up in Canada when they sing the United States national anthem. That goes double in Montreal.

This. Throw in how Boston's fans responded with class to the Canadien national anthem after - yes BOSTON's fans. End thread

Oh and they CAN keep the land - too much of it is unmanageable and infertile.

Edited by Neb00rs, 19 February 2013 - 06:48 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#92 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

I think the Rangers suck chant has been a lot less common in the past year or so.  I don't mind it once or twice a game, but more than that is overkill.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#93 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

It is a hard song to sing.

#94 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

image.png

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#95 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

image.png

Nah it just is.

#96 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

These things will never, ever, ever go away. Just because we are Devils fans does not make us better or above any other fanbase. Every fanbase is going to have a varied group of people. Some people think that what's being complained about is funny because that's their sense of humor. Some people think it's terrible and end up starting threads like this one. In the end, this discussion will come up a couple times a year, and will be the equivalent of slamming on the gas when you're stuck in the mud. Not going to get anywhere.

#97 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

yea but if you keep trying the gas it will definitely work no? are you sure? lemme try again.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#98 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,200 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

yea but if you keep trying the gas it will definitely work no? are you sure? lemme try again.

You usually get stuck deeper into the mud when you do that lol

#99 HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

DOC E. probably remembers this one, since he was doing the play-by-play...

It was the 3rd and deciding game of the championship round in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey, USA vs Canada, at the Molson Center (now the Bell Center) in Montreal.

Canadians booed for the entire US national anthem, the Booing was so loud, you could barely hear the US anthem.. That's has to be the most memorable antics I've witnessed during a national anthem being played.

#100 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

I don't put my hand over my heart because its the anthem not the pledge of allegiance. I do sing along and look at the flag though.
That's the whole problem, there are so many different opinions on these kind of things that you can never make anyone happy.

. I always put my hand over my heart for the both the Star Spangled Banner and the Pledge of Allegiance. Just what I've always done since I was a kid.

Edited by MadDog2020, 20 February 2013 - 09:39 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users