NYT: How come Brodeur is still so good?

DJ Eco

I wonder if my daughter will pin the pic on the back of her door.  ARod is long gone.  Big time Rush was ousted by One Dimension.  She spent her own cold hard cash down in Princeton on an Einstein poster so I'm not thinking he's going anywhere anytime soon. 

Can a happy picture of Marty replace Moose in her heart?  I'll follow up.

Was the extra comment necessary? But yes, it was a great read. I loved the part about Eddie Shore putting a rope around the goalie's neck in practice so they couldn't drop to the ice, lol.

Do you or a family member work for the NYT?  You always seem to defend them.

Not everyone likes that paper or their take on the news.  Just like not everyone likes Fox News, WSJ or NY Post for their take of the news.

"Jean-Sebastien Giguere of the Colorado Avalanche," Haha uhh the Ducks.

But other than that awesome article, great to see Marty getting some love

You do know he plays for the Av's now, right?

edit - I see what you mean now after re-reading, he was with the Ducks then...

Edited by chrisg19
  • Like 1

Do you or a family member work for the NYT?  You always seem to defend them.

Not everyone likes that paper or their take on the news.  Just like not everyone likes Fox News, WSJ or NY Post for their take of the news.

No and no. I didn't want to get into a thing about it here, thus why I didn't say anything beyond my questioning of the necessity of his comment. I thought the comment was unnecessary and a bit antagonistic, but it wasn't a big deal, which is why I only asked why he made the comment.

No and no. I didn't want to get into a thing about it here, thus why I didn't say anything beyond my questioning of the necessity of his comment. I thought the comment was unnecessary and a bit antagonistic, but it wasn't a big deal, which is why I only asked why he made the comment.

Eh fair enough but I just saw it as his opinion.

How come Brodeur is still so good?

Some possible theories:

1. Voodoo.

2. Sold his soul to the Devils.

3. Was bitten by a radioactive goalie giving him superhuman goaltender abilities.

4. Was born with a goalie stick in his hands, indicating that he--Martin Brodeur--was the "chosen" Goaltender. This prophesy indicated that a goalie of supreme abilities would come to dominate the sport. Foretold by the ancient hockey mystics (men with anachronistic names like the Bulldogs, Wanderers, Maroons, etc.) this prophesy was ignored by the hockey world until Marty "the chosen" Brodeur emerged from his mother's womb, stick in hand. His mother required immediate attention after delivering the stick.

5. Brodeur ventured to a distant and isolated swamp where he was trained by a small, green, dwarf with something of a speech impediment. When he returned he was a Goaltender Master. Rumor is that this mysterious dwarfish goaltending master is none other than Darren Pang!

6. Another theory argues that Brodeur is not, in fact, human. He is the last survivor of a distant world called "Tenye Kcoh". Before his world was destroyed his parents sent him on a journey to play the greatest sport in the entire universe: HOCKEY! It is from this other world, and a fierce desire to protect his home world, that he has inherited to greatest powers of any goaltender I'm history.

7. Yet another theory makes the case that Brodeur has built a time machine so that he can go into the future and analyze all of the moves his opponents are planning to make--every turn, stop, start, shot, etc.--and then he can counter these moves when he returns to the present.

8. One of the most convincing theories put forth argues that Brodeur is a genetically altered super being originally created by the Canadian government during World War II. Initially he was created with the idea that if Germany was to shoot missiles at Canada then they would deploy "Captain Canuck" into the Great White North to catch or deflect the incoming missiles. Of course, rebounds would have been critical seeing as the rebounded missiles could've landed in a number of potentially friendly countries. When the war ended he was put on ice. But rumor has it the freezer broke in the early '90s and Captain Canuck emerged, unaware of his true identity or purpose. Instead of blocking Nazi missiles, he has spent two decades blocking shots from the Flyers and Rangers..... (heh, I'm leaving this one alone).

9. Finally there is the most outrageous theory of all. This is the idea that Brodeur is a gifted athlete, a rare talent, and has worked many long hours finely tuning his considerable skills.

While all of these theories have their supporters and detractors, I would have to say that some are really just ridiculous. Nevertheless, for the sake of being complete I felt the need to list them all even though I think we all know the last one can safely be deemed unbelievable.

And I bet the nypost didn't have any of my substantial research in their article!!!

Edited by AEWHistory

Lamoriello said, laughing at himself. “We traded down for Marty. Of course we didn’t know how good he was going to be.” He went on to extol Brodeur’s virtues and added: “I have to be careful with my heart and my head. My heart would give him anything.”

That is my favourite quote of the article.

What's been great about this year is that he's avoided the slow starts of the past two seasons.  I've always been one of his staunchest defenders, but there were times when I've wondered if it was over, just because he looked that bad.  Last year's first few months were really hard to take, seeing him ranked near last in save%.

Some detractors, as the article points out, will call him a "compiler", but to me a compiler is a pitcher who, say, wins 12-14 games a year for most of his career, with two or three 18+ win seasons, and finishes his career with 300 wins just because he managed to be consistently pretty good for a very long period of time.  It's not like Marty won 25-30 games per season for 20 years.  He's played most of his career at a very high level.  Yeah, clearly playing for a good team year after year is essential to winning so many games as a goalie (just ask Chico Resch), but it's not like the team was constantly propping Marty up throughout his career (though 2001 was a clear exception).  He has been very very good for most of his career.