• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

How come Brodeur is still so good?

Some possible theories:
1. Voodoo.
2. Sold his soul to the Devils.
3. Was bitten by a radioactive goalie giving him superhuman goaltender abilities.
4. Was born with a goalie stick in his hands, indicating that he--Martin Brodeur--was the "chosen" Goaltender. This prophesy indicated that a goalie of supreme abilities would come to dominate the sport. Foretold by the ancient hockey mystics (men with anachronistic names like the Bulldogs, Wanderers, Maroons, etc.) this prophesy was ignored by the hockey world until Marty "the chosen" Brodeur emerged from his mother's womb, stick in hand. His mother required immediate attention after delivering the stick.
5. Brodeur ventured to a distant and isolated swamp where he was trained by a small, green, dwarf with something of a speech impediment. When he returned he was a Goaltender Master. Rumor is that this mysterious dwarfish goaltending master is none other than Darren Pang!
6. Another theory argues that Brodeur is not, in fact, human. He is the last survivor of a distant world called "Tenye Kcoh". Before his world was destroyed his parents sent him on a journey to play the greatest sport in the entire universe: HOCKEY! It is from this other world, and a fierce desire to protect his home world, that he has inherited to greatest powers of any goaltender I'm history.
7. Yet another theory makes the case that Brodeur has built a time machine so that he can go into the future and analyze all of the moves his opponents are planning to make--every turn, stop, start, shot, etc.--and then he can counter these moves when he returns to the present.
8. One of the most convincing theories put forth argues that Brodeur is a genetically altered super being originally created by the Canadian government during World War II. Initially he was created with the idea that if Germany was to shoot missiles at Canada then they would deploy "Captain Canuck" into the Great White North to catch or deflect the incoming missiles. Of course, rebounds would have been critical seeing as the rebounded missiles could've landed in a number of potentially friendly countries. When the war ended he was put on ice. But rumor has it the freezer broke in the early '90s and Captain Canuck emerged, unaware of his true identity or purpose. Instead of blocking Nazi missiles, he has spent two decades blocking shots from the Flyers and Rangers..... (heh, I'm leaving this one alone).
9. Finally there is the most outrageous theory of all. This is the idea that Brodeur is a gifted athlete, a rare talent, and has worked many long hours finely tuning his considerable skills.

While all of these theories have their supporters and detractors, I would have to say that some are really just ridiculous. Nevertheless, for the sake of being complete I felt the need to list them all even though I think we all know the last one can safely be deemed unbelievable.

And I bet the nypost didn't have any of my substantial research in their article!!!

Edited by AEWHistory, 22 February 2013 - 04:02 AM.

Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#22 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

Lamoriello said, laughing at himself. “We traded down for Marty. Of course we didn’t know how good he was going to be.” He went on to extol Brodeur’s virtues and added: “I have to be careful with my heart and my head. My heart would give him anything.”

That is my favourite quote of the article.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#23 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

What's been great about this year is that he's avoided the slow starts of the past two seasons.  I've always been one of his staunchest defenders, but there were times when I've wondered if it was over, just because he looked that bad.  Last year's first few months were really hard to take, seeing him ranked near last in save%.

Some detractors, as the article points out, will call him a "compiler", but to me a compiler is a pitcher who, say, wins 12-14 games a year for most of his career, with two or three 18+ win seasons, and finishes his career with 300 wins just because he managed to be consistently pretty good for a very long period of time.  It's not like Marty won 25-30 games per season for 20 years.  He's played most of his career at a very high level.  Yeah, clearly playing for a good team year after year is essential to winning so many games as a goalie (just ask Chico Resch), but it's not like the team was constantly propping Marty up throughout his career (though 2001 was a clear exception).  He has been very very good for most of his career. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#24 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

Roids?
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#25 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

The article says Vancouver traded with the Devils to move up in the draft and select Trevor Kidd, but wasn't it actually Calgary?

"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#26 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Deadspin being a buzzkill: http://deadspin.com/...rodeur-are-dumb

I love this butthurt Rags fan's response in the Deadspin article.  Made me laugh. 

Posted Image

#27 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Two numbers:

The top one is Marty's victory total of course.

The other one is all of the other Scouts/Rockies/Devils goalies' victories COMBINED.  Chris Terreri is second all-time in victories, with 118.  Chico is third with 67 (poor guy had a record of 67-148-33 as a Rockie/Devil). 

We know how bad the franchise was up until 1987-88 (Their first 14 seasons were all losing seasons, and the team was never close to finishing with a winning record), and that any goalie that was stuck playing for those first 14 seasons had no chance.  But Marty may very well finish with more than 600 wins over the guy who ranks second in the franchise.  That is just sick. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#28 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

I love this butthurt Rags fan's response in the Deadspin article.  Made me laugh. 

:lol:  Clearly an article profiling Marty Broduer should be about how Lundqvist shows all the hallmarks of being better -- or about how Mark Messier is a lifetime Rangers player despite his overall career time there amounting to a blip, or about how Jersey's own John Bon Jovi is actually a lifelong Rangers fan based on Ron Duguay's efforts to capture the "Bon Jovi look"  Can't a MAGAZINE just post a nice peice on one of the all-time hockey greats?  yeesh

I'm here for the party

#29 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Deadspin being a buzzkill: http://deadspin.com/...rodeur-are-dumb

What a shock, Deadspin eviscerating a mainstream media outlet with petty complaints. I tip my hat to them for some things like the Te'o work, but it's odd that one of the most popular online sports sites seems to have no purpose other than to make fun of and embarass other news outlets.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 22 February 2013 - 06:26 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#30 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

What a shock, Deadspin eviscerating a mainstream media outlet with petty complaints. I tip my hat to them for some things like the Te'o work, but it's odd that one of the most popular online sports sites seems to have no purpose other than to make fun of and embarass other news outlets.

in their defense, ESPN and specifically people like Darren Rovelle and Bill Simmons earn it about 99% of the time. But yeah when they're going after the new york times magazine, it's beyond petty, especially when Petechsky's the only guy they have there who knows hockey, not Dickey 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#31 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Cool that he's getting props, but why is this pinned?

I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out why stuff gets pinned in Hell. Aside from the GDTs, the decision to pin threads just seems to go by the personal whims of whomever runs this part of the site on any given day. Same with the PODs.

#32 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

in their defense, ESPN and specifically people like Darren Rovelle and Bill Simmons earn it about 99% of the time. But yeah when they're going after the new york times magazine, it's beyond petty, especially when Petechsky's the only guy they have there who knows hockey, not Dickey 

I don't get how Simmons does. He's always admitted that his stuff is opinion based, and his opinions are fairly well informed. In general, deadspin's a waste of time. Serious journalists do factchecking on fact based articles. Deadspin feels the need to win a d!ck measuring contest, mostly on opinion pieces.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#33 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

A lengthy piece (not a simple, short newspaper article) on a future HOF'er shouldn't get pinned?  Granted it's an article with a couple of goofy errors, but any kind of mainstream notice should be acknowledged.  NYT is mainstream, whatever you may think of them.  Honestly, debating whether this should be pinned is being nitpicky to the nth degree.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#34 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Some detractors, as the article points out, will call him a "compiler", but to me a compiler is a pitcher who, say, wins 12-14 games a year for most of his career, with two or three 18+ win seasons, and finishes his career with 300 wins just because he managed to be consistently pretty good for a very long period of time.  It's not like Marty won 25-30 games per season for 20 years.

Exactly. You want an example of a compiler, look at Cujo. Never led the league in any category, yet he's 4th on the all-time wins list.
Posted Image

#35 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

A lengthy piece (not a simple, short newspaper article) on a future HOF'er shouldn't get pinned?  Granted it's an article with a couple of goofy errors, but any kind of mainstream notice should be acknowledged.  NYT is mainstream, whatever you may think of them.  Honestly, debating whether this should be pinned is being nitpicky to the nth degree.

It's definitely worthy of a thread, but I would think the feature of pinning threads would be for things that should always be at the top like rules, an FAQ, or the GDT of that day.  On this forum it seems pretty frequent that there are typical everyday threads that for some reason get pinned.  It's not really a big deal, it's just weird.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#36 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

I don't get how Simmons does. He's always admitted that his stuff is opinion based, and his opinions are fairly well informed. In general, deadspin's a waste of time. Serious journalists do factchecking on fact based articles. Deadspin feels the need to win a d!ck measuring contest, mostly on opinion pieces.

When he says stuff like he's "unintimidatable" and then has as thin a skin as anyone at ESPN and says stuff like how he can't find any good hockey writing on the internet when he runs a sports website and could fix it himself. And his terrible situation he always whines about how the pats haven't won in a whole 8 years! how terrible. He's just very unaware and puts it on display a lot. These aren't the biggest problems or anything but he rubs a lot of people the wrong way 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#37 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

For the record, I didn't mind that it was pinned.

#38 crashline

crashline

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Edited by crashline, 25 February 2013 - 09:39 AM.

Posted Image

#39 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

'Brodeur’s long tenure is largely of his own choosing: he has negotiated almost all his own contracts and has taken less money to remain in the Garden State because he feels secure there, he says, and is subject to less media scrutiny than in Canada or New York.'

New York? Again with the myth that New York is some special place for sports, let alone hockey. What extra scrutiny would he receive in NY? An extra line from Larry Brooks? An extra 2-second highlight on Russ Salzberg's my9 sports segment? Gimme a damn break.

#40 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

'Brodeur’s long tenure is largely of his own choosing: he has negotiated almost all his own contracts and has taken less money to remain in the Garden State because he feels secure there, he says, and is subject to less media scrutiny than in Canada or New York.'

New York? Again with the myth that New York is some special place for sports, let alone hockey. What extra scrutiny would he receive in NY? An extra line from Larry Brooks? An extra 2-second highlight on Russ Salzberg's my9 sports segment? Gimme a damn break.

Agreed, the NYC media as a whole doesn't do much scrutinizing of their Manhattan hockey team. But they all do tend to fall over themselves hopping on the bandwagon whenever the team has even the slightest success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users