Isles tie it up at 3, 9:58 to go...

#202 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

im not talking about scoring or making plays, im talking about effort. Kovy tends to be very lazy especially on teh forecheck. Tonight he put in 100percent effort. I can't say that I see him do that often, we overlook it because of how skilled he is.

Not sprint-skating for every play doesn't mean lazy. His game shapes around the opposing team we face on an given night. Some nights are "sprint nights" and others are slow careful quarterbacking nights. And his assists/points count shows this; lazy and Kovalchuk is so 2010.

If he played with as much "intensity" as Gionta, he wouldn't be Kovalchuk and he wouldn't make the impact he does. We don't need him to play that way.

Edited by DJ Eco, 21 February 2013 - 09:53 PM.

#203 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

Well they sure tried to lose it in the first two but they made up for it in the third!
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#204 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,680 posts

Islanders just tied the game against mtl... If they win in regulation well be first

www.SterioDesign.com

#205 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Go isles

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#206 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

lol he's playing 20something minutes a night do you want 100% max effort every shift? And lazy and kovy don't go together anymore. Would you dare say he's enigmatic?

If less time would be more effective effort on the ice, than yes? Listen go really watch a game and see how often kovy will shy away from getting in on the puck in the offensive zone.

Seems like a few of you are pretty biased here, I love kovy, but I'm not blind to his flaws. This is pro sports, he gets paid alot of money, I expect maximum effort more often than not. There are players that give it their all, parise for instance. Parise doesn't take a shift off, kovy didn't tonight and I thought it was the best he has played in a long time.

#207 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Did anyone see Kovy leave the ice at all from 7 - 930 PM?

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#208 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

If less time would be more effective effort on the ice, than yes? Listen go really watch a game and see how often kovy will shy away from getting in on the puck in the offensive zone.

Seems like a few of you are pretty biased here, I love kovy, but I'm not blind to his flaws. This is pro sports, he gets paid alot of money, I expect maximum effort more often than not. There are players that give it their all, parise for instance. Parise doesn't take a shift off, kovy didn't tonight and I thought it was the best he has played in a long time.

Parise's not going to be effective in his 30s. Parise never struck when it counted and he didn't get many game-winning goals. Kovalchuk's concentration, patience, and vision means we get well-timed and clutch scoring from him many times during his 25+ minutes a game. While we're at it, Parise didn't play 25 minutes a game.

#209 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Well I'm getting a little bonus tonight. Center Ice hasn't turned off the feed so I finally get the post game show!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#210 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Parise's not going to be effective in his 30s. Parise never struck when it counted and he didn't get many game-winning goals. Kovalchuk's concentration, patience, and vision means we get well-timed and clutch scoring from him many times during his 25+ minutes a game. While we're at it, Parise didn't play 25 minutes a game.

This. Also, sometimes he will "shy away" but only because defense is part of his game now and he'll start to drop back and get ready for the other team's forecheck. He used to go all out for every loose puck in Atlanta and then he'd be out of position. Now he makes the smart plays when he's unsure. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

believe-devs.jpg

#211 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Kovy's "the guy" now. In case you don't remember, he's also the reason we beat the Capitals last time. He's our quarterback, we don't need him rushing the puck every shift and no players (on our team) being able to keep up with him.

#212 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

w/e we all know what kovalchuk does, he is amazingly skilled. What I want from him is to see this level of intensity on a nightly basis. If you think thats ridiculous, to each his own. He's obviously capable of playing the way he did tonight.

#213 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

w/e we all know what kovalchuk does, he is amazingly skilled. What I want from him is to see this level of intensity on a nightly basis. If you think thats ridiculous, to each his own. He's obviously capable of playing the way he did tonight.

I know he's capable but I think he'll be more tired tonight than he usually is. And when he's such a huge part of our team, you need him to stay fresh, and not get injured. Playing every night the way our golden boy Parise used to play would result in Kovalchuk injured or burnt out by April.

No offense, but it's like asking Peyton Manning to start running the wildcat the way Tebow does because he doesn't show enough effort.

Edited by DJ Eco, 21 February 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#214 JSR

JSR

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

OT in Montreal.

#215 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Kovy's actually still out there on the ice.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#216 JSR

JSR

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

Isles win in OT!  Devils tied for first in the East!

Thanks, Isles!

#217 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Kovy's actually still out there on the ice.

Good one!

#218 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Tallinder played just under 2:00 in the 3rd period. If Fayne isn't playing Saturday, I'll fall on the floor.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#219 Cowutopia

Cowutopia

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I blame Adam Oates's tied-too-tight tie.

Seriously though....all Reffing no 5 on 3 action. The Devils' plan here doesn't seem to be terrible, but there needs to be faster execution of this high-up switching, and there needs to be some high-low movement to get the defenders out of position.

Andy Greene came in once on one of the PP's, I think it was 5 on 4, and it was great to see him getting aggressive and drawing defenders to him but nobody, on the PP, came with him on the opposite side OR up the middle and he was left with no options.

Edited by Cowutopia, 21 February 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#220 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Isles win in OT!  Devils tied for first in the East!

Thanks, Isles!

Tied for first until the Pens win again.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users