256 replies to this topic

#221 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

If less time would be more effective effort on the ice, than yes? Listen go really watch a game and see how often kovy will shy away from getting in on the puck in the offensive zone.

Seems like a few of you are pretty biased here, I love kovy, but I'm not blind to his flaws. This is pro sports, he gets paid alot of money, I expect maximum effort more often than not. There are players that give it their all, parise for instance. Parise doesn't take a shift off, kovy didn't tonight and I thought it was the best he has played in a long time.

Somebody misses Zach. Even if Kovalchuk doesn;'t give as much effort as he should for argument's sake, he's STILL better than Parise and can actually score a goal from more than 1 foot out so I'm not complaining 

Tallinder played just under 2:00 in the 3rd period. If Fayne isn't playing Saturday, I'll fall on the floor.

They should've just thrown Stevens out there instead of Tallinder. Tallinder looked about 60 years old tonight 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#222 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Wow. Refs were making more plays than the teams tonight.
Stoked about the win.
Devils back in first & would play the Rags if the playoffs started tomorrow.
Lets get another 2 tomorrow!!!! LGD!!!
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#223 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Not in love with this game - Devils did a lot of great things, but too many chances in transition for the Capitals.  They're also two forwards short on the PK and it's beginning to show.  Still, they crushed the Caps at even strength and got the benefit of some refereeing late.  I think we'll see Fayne instead of Tallinder on Saturday.

Gotta like Loktionov's play though - the Devils have to find a way to get him some more ice time.  He should be on the 2nd power play unit sooner than later.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#224 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

I agree on Lokti's play. He is making very smart plays and just looks poised out there. He got rewarded with a nice rebound goal tonight.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#225 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

Larsson made a good play on Loktionov's goal too - walked the line, found a shooting lane, put it on net. Finally we got to one of our rebounds.

#226 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

Larsson made a good play on Loktionov's goal too - walked the line, found a shooting lane, put it on net. Finally we got to one of our rebounds.

If you give Larsson time he'll make good offensive plays, other teams know this so he rarely gets the time he'd like.  When Larsson gets to pick his head up and start looking for shooting and passing lanes from the point, he's dangerous.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#227 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

If you give Larsson time he'll make good offensive plays, other teams know this so he rarely gets the time he'd like.  When Larsson gets to pick his head up and start looking for shooting and passing lanes from the point, he's dangerous.

Agreed. I think we'll see that Larsson will get a bit quicker with making the right choice with the puck in these situations. Already he's getting better at finding ways to get the puck to the net, whether that means moving to find a lane or making a shot-pass. He may or may not have an elite shot from the blue line, but either way he can use his smarts to find lanes and let the forwards do the hard part.

Edited by iamtheprodigy, 21 February 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#228 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hank didn't play well tonight but I did notice he had a good play against Ovi when he came down the right wing 1 on 1 or 2 on 1. 

815631765.gif

#229 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

They should try Loktionov as third line center on Saturday, bump Gio down to the 4th with Barch. Maybe try something like this.

Butler Henrique Kovalchuk

Elias Zajac Clarkson

Ponikarovsky Loktionov Bernier

Matteau Gionta Barch

Edited by Zubie#8, 21 February 2013 - 11:25 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#230 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Not in love with this game - Devils did a lot of great things, but too many chances in transition for the Capitals.  They're also two forwards short on the PK and it's beginning to show.  Still, they crushed the Caps at even strength and got the benefit of some refereeing late.  I think we'll see Fayne instead of Tallinder on Saturday.

Gotta like Loktionov's play though - the Devils have to find a way to get him some more ice time.  He should be on the 2nd power play unit sooner than later.

He should at least get off the 4th line w/ Carter and Zubrus out. Unless Henrique moves to wing though or they fall out of love w/ Gionta, I dunno where they're gonna put him except the 2nd PP unit 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#231 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

He should at least get off the 4th line w/ Carter and Zubrus out. Unless Henrique moves to wing though or they fall out of love w/ Gionta, I dunno where they're gonna put him except the 2nd PP unit 

Eh, I'd try out these lines:

Matteau-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Elias-Henrique-Clarkson

Ponikarovsky-Loktionov-Butler

Barch-Gionta-Bernier

late in games when they're ahead, move Ponikarovsky up, and use Matteau with Gionta and Bernier.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#232 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

Kovy's actually still out there on the ice.

:o

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#233 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

who was with kovy and zajac tonight?

#234 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

who was with kovy and zajac tonight?

Poni for the first and second period.  The third period things got all jumbled due to some line mixing and the excessive amount of PP time the Devils had. 

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#235 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

Sorry I said if the playoffs started tomorrow they would be playing the Rags.
They would in fact be playing the Sens who look like they're down a goalie...Bishop is literally a monster though.
Senators certainly finding ways to win.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#236 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

i liked Kovy's game a lot as he was going out of his mold, its like there was really a challenge vs him and Ovechkin, like who's gonna be the best.

I didnt like the game though, we needed a terribly sh!tty team to get in penalty trouble to find a way to take the lead. Not too impressive. But i hope they can build on that and get another one tomorrow and go on a winning streak

www.SterioDesign.com

#237 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

i liked Kovy's game a lot as he was going out of his mold, its like there was really a challenge vs him and Ovechkin, like who's gonna be the best.

I didnt like the game though, we needed a terribly sh!tty team to get in penalty trouble to find a way to take the lead. Not too impressive. But i hope they can build on that and get another one tomorrow and go on a winning streak

The Devils got totally screwed on their second goal though. We outplayed them pretty badly and deserved the win, but our transition defense was awful. Greene, Salvador and Tallinder all got abused on the rush.

As a side note, Ovechkin played a hell of a game. He was banging bodies, pulling off dekes he had no business making and even back checked hard. Don't even get me started on how great Kovalchuk looked. They definitely bring out the best in each other

#238 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Okay, so let's just note the fact that the glass was just broken by a slapshot for the "let's reduce goalie gear" thread. Try getting hit with a shot that hard, even with modern gear.

the heck with the goalie, what about guys like clarksy who have to screen???? no visor no neck guard and flimsy1/2" thick chest padding.  thats crazy!

#239 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

The Devils got totally screwed on their second goal though. We outplayed them pretty badly and deserved the win, but our transition defense was awful. Greene, Salvador and Tallinder all got abused on the rush.

As a side note, Ovechkin played a hell of a game. He was banging bodies, pulling off dekes he had no business making and even back checked hard. Don't even get me started on how great Kovalchuk looked. They definitely bring out the best in each other

i didnt like Kovy on the PP until he scored though and i don't like the Devils transition game cause i'm watching a lot of hockey and to watch other teams go so often im like... damn the Devils would have never done that.

our transition game is so slow compared to a bunch of teams, they have players who can get a dman flat footed with a quick head deke even and boom you go around him... the devils if they don't dump they'll slow down until everyone is in the zone for a pass pretty much.

our PP is too slow too it's not making the other team move at all, i hate to say it but MTL's PP is really good with Markov on the back, they move the puck so fast between them and its catching the other team off guard cause they don't have much time to settled and they have to skate around pretty fast to stay in the shooting lane.

i know there's reason to slow down the game but we're restraining chances by doing things the same way all the time and thats what pissing me off the most about our system when im watching other teams.

www.SterioDesign.com

#240 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have to miss the game tomorrow and that's sad because I'm dying to see another Kovy vs. Ovi game. They really do bring out the best in each other

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users