Photo

"I don’t think there is any doubt [Elias is] a Hall of Fame play

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Elias to the Hall of Fame? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Elias a Hall of Famer?

1. Yes (44 votes [84.62%])

Percentage of vote: 84.62%

2. No (8 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

http://www.nj.com/de...as_a_futur.html

"I don’t think there is any doubt he’s a Hall of Fame player," coach Pete DeBoer said. "It’s a great luxury to have him on the ice and in the dressing room. He thinks like a coach and he has a world-class player’s skills. When you’re building a hockey player, you can’t ask for much more than that."

I'm ok with him getting in.

EDIT: Title got cut off...mods help me....

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 21 February 2013 - 02:16 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#2 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

If Elias had his career with a big market team like Montreal or Toronto you can bet he'd already be declared a first ballot.

I think he gets in eventually.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#3 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

My answer, as most will probably be, is "YES". But I can understand why he may not be a shoe-in or the first name to mind that will be inducted.

#4 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I think he should be, but unforunately I dont think he will be.

#5 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,724 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Depends on your criteria.  Played in the Dead Puck Era and wasn't surrounded by great offensive players for much of his career, but still has a legit shot at 1000 points in about 1150 GP.  I can see the arguments for and against, as he feels like a borderline kind of guy.  But he should probably get in.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#6 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

I think Patty has a little work to do, but he's in if and when he hits 1,000 points. Maybe not on the first ballot, but should he reach 1,000, he'll get in eventually. It would be awesome for me to see him get in too, Patty is my favorite all-time Devil not named Scott Stevens.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#7 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

i think he should be in but i think he won't be and that Devils fans will whine about it for years and years how unfair it is.

www.SterioDesign.com

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

His biggest obstacle is that the people doing the voting have never watched him play on a consistent basis.  As the article mentions, Cam Neely is in the Hall of Fame while Pat Verbeek, who did better in all of the traditional statistical categories is not.  It probably has a lot to do with Verbeek having his best years in NJ and Hartford.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

BTW, should Alex Mogilny also be in the Hall of Fame then?

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#10 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

His biggest obstacle is that the people doing the voting have never watched him play on a consistent basis.  As the article mentions, Cam Neely is in the Hall of Fame while Pat Verbeek, who did better in all of the traditional statistical categories is not.  It probably has a lot to do with Verbeek having his best years in NJ and Hartford.

Verbeek was never a top player.  He was a very good player, but he got to play during the live puck era.  He was never once top 10 in goals or assists, and was a 2 time All-Star when the All-Star game was played every year.  Cam Neely was a 5 time All-Star with 4 top 10 finishes in goals including one year where he played 49 games.

The thing about Elias is that for basically every 10 game stretch where he continues to perform like he has throughout his career (and isn't injured) his chances increase.  It would have been easy to figure after the 2011 season that Elias's game would begin to decline, and that his career might be over by 2013 or 2014.  But that hasn't happened yet, and as long as that doesn't keep happening, if Elias can put up another 120 points in his career, he'll have at least a shot.  To me he should be in without question - maybe not first ballot, but he's put together a very impressive NHL career.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#11 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

How dare you steal my 205th addition of the HHOF game. But seriously, it's a tough one for a non-Devils fan. I think it is a bit too early to say for sure. He truly is a complete player, but for HOF-type player, he certainly had some real down years you don't see many in the HHOF have.

I really think he and Alfredsson are pretty similar comparables. I don't think Elias did anymore than Alfredsson to deserve the 2 Cups that Alfredsson doesn't have. So while Cups should be valued, I don't think they should be that important for all players.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#12 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Can I vote maybe?  He's really going to be close either way and how he finishes his career will matter, so I can't tell now.  Looking at how he's playing at the moment, I think he'll get in.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#13 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Daniel Alfredsson's regarded as a HOFer and while he's scored a few more points, he's played with better offensive players and I can't fathom him being better defensively than Elias. I'd take Patty any day of the week over a lot of guys that are supposed HOFers playing today 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#14 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Patty will retire as the greatest forward in the history of the team.   He will get overlooked by voters because sacrificed personal points for winning.

Four trips to the Finals and two Cups says he will make the HOF.

Edited by MantaRay, 21 February 2013 - 07:54 PM.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#15 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

let's not forget patty's money OT goal numbers and his playoff point totals.  those should count for something, no?

#16 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

If Elias has a couple more years with good stats, his numbers are borderline, impressive for a guy who played in a defense first system and dedicated himself to it throughout his career, and dealt with 2 lockouts and a bout of hepatitis that can be directly attributed to 1 of the lockouts, and cost him a ton of games (plus probably 2 or so years playing at less than 100%). If he wins 1 more cup, he's a lock (though team achievements maybe shouldn't count as much as they do). Even without, I think he deserves it. I also think he has a decent shot, just because people are already talking about it, and not just in NJ.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#17 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Patty will retire as the greatest forward in the history of the team.   He will get overlooked by voters because sacrificed personal points for winning.

This is exactly the summation of it. Dare I say it?...I will let Manta be the spokesperson for all my opinions on Elias from here on out.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#18 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

His Olympic/International play will also be a factor. I still expect him to fall short.

#19 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,724 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

I don't necessarily think he "sacrificed personal points".  He has always gotten opportunities to play with the Devils' top offensive personnel through the years (rightly so of course), though clearly the quality of that personnel varied.  His most impressive season from an offensive standpoint was really 2003-04.  In a lot of ways, it was him or it was nothing that year.  He popped in 38 goals...Gio ranked second, with 21, and Gio really didn't get going until the end of the season, when the EGG line was put together.  Gomez had 70 points to rank second behind Elias' 81, but Elias' finishing ability clearly helped Gomez's numbers.  Friesen was third in points for forwards...with 37!  That team would've been brutal without Elias.

The era he played in and the teams he played for definitely weren't stat-bloaters, but as we've seen through the years, playing for a team that is more offensive-minded won't automatically correlate to bigger and better numbers.  We've seen free-agent signings and trades that seemed like slam-dunks on paper (wow, that guy could put up 90+ points for that team easily), but don't work out as planned.  Sure, if he had played in the Live Puck Era, he puts up better eye-candy numbers for sure.  I remember Live Puck well, and 30-goal scorers and guys who averaged a point-per-game were almost a dime-a-dozen.  There are multiple reasons why (people bring up smaller goalie equipment), but I can tell you that defensemen and goalies are MUCH better now than they were then.  There were some bad goalies in the 80s (just look at some highlights from that era sometime).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 22 February 2013 - 07:45 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#20 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Hitting 1000 career points is the key for me i feel, and even then unfortunately it could be marginal.

Its a shame we have had the lockouts because i have very little doubt he would already be there with the additional games he could have played.

He has nice numbers, and some hardware to show which will help, but its probably not enough.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users