Photo

"I don’t think there is any doubt [Elias is] a Hall of Fame play

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Elias to the Hall of Fame? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Elias a Hall of Famer?

1. Yes (44 votes [84.62%])

Percentage of vote: 84.62%

2. No (8 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

He may not get overlooked because of his standing as a leader of one of the most consistently solid playoff teams since the early 90s.  Being the greatest (non-goalie) player on one of the great franchises in hockey must count for something.  I hope.

#22 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,889 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

One thing Elias may have going for him is when he retires.  If he retires in 3 years, he figures to have not much company - maybe Iginla and St. Louis will retire then as well, but I expect guys like Hossa, Thornton, and Lecavalier to have many good years left at that point.  He might sneak in between the gap - potential HOFers are hard to come by in the years around when Elias was drafted.  The 1992 draft has Gonchar and Hamrlik, both borderline guys, both probably done after this year. The 1993 draft has Chris Pronger, but his contract runs for several more years and if he retires he puts an anchor on the Flyers' salary cap, so he likely isn't eligible until 2022.  There's also Paul Kariya who retired in 2011 (iirc). The 1994 draft has Alfredsson, but he was an overager so he's nearing retirement - no one else from that draft besides Elias has a shot at the HOF.  1995 draft has Iginla and no one else.  96 draft has no HOFers.  97 has Thornton, Hossa, and maybe even Marleau (hard as that is to believe - Marleau could hit 500 goals).  St. Louis was never drafted but he would've been a 1993 pick.

Elias is 7th in points since the year he entered the league - the guys above him are all lock HOFers.  I dunno, it's going to be awful close.

Edited by Triumph, 22 February 2013 - 10:38 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

He may not get overlooked because of his standing as a leader of one of the most consistently solid playoff teams since the early 90s.  Being the greatest (non-goalie) player on one of the great franchises in hockey must count for something.  I hope.

Probably third behind Stevens and Niedermeyer.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#24 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

I think Patty is the definition of a fringe HOF'er...

I hope he gets in eventually

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#25 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Is he a HOF now? No.

Will he be by the time he retires?  Maybe.

#26 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,179 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Elias will be in the HOF no doubt and his #26 will be the 5th on the team to be retired.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#27 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

Patrik's an all-time great Devil without question. As for HOF, I dunno. IMO, he's borderline.

He has some nice career offensive numbers, and as many here have said, his defensive play probably has been unnoticed to a certain degree -- but still, it's been a while since he has taken over a game with any consistency.

I just can't help but think that he missed an opportunity to shine in last year's playoffs. The Devils made a big run on a national stage, but Elias was mostly invisible. Had he done something special, it would've reminded everyone around the league how talented he really is. But instead he seemed to get lost in the shuffle for the most part.

I root for him to make it to the HOF some day, but he's been a little bit of an enigma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users