#21 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

don't forget Larsson's sick slapshot pass that he will soon trademark

unfortunately Pietrangelo just signed his patent.

i still can't believe that pass... sigh...

Edited by SterioDesign, 21 February 2013 - 05:12 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#22 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

unfortunately Pietrangelo just signed his patent.

i still can't believe that pass... sigh...

dayum!

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#23 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

It's not gonna matter how many times you watch that. That's a perfect pass if there ever was one.

#24 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

personally while i agree that he improved i still havent seen anything from him telling me that he'll be an impact player for us... what i saw is that he will be an NHL player and not a liability and be alright at the very least, still young though and it takes time but i wouldnt pencil him a shoe in impact player / franchise dman for us just yet. I simply havent seen flashes of it yet like i remember seeing flashes of Karlsson, pietrangelo, doughty, subban, etc etc younger in their careers

i certainly fvcking hope so that he become that guy though we need it

You have the wrong comps here - Larsson is not like any of those guys.  Larsson is going to be a force in the D zone and at shot prevention.  Also all four of those guys are HOF talent, there's a level between that and average player which I feel pretty confident that Larsson will hit.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#25 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

You have the wrong comps here - Larsson is not like any of those guys.  Larsson is going to be a force in the D zone and at shot prevention.  Also all four of those guys are HOF talent, there's a level between that and average player which I feel pretty confident that Larsson will hit.

That's a little disappointing, or to be more precise, boring, compared to what you would have hoped to have gotten with the number four pick for a team that almost never drafts that high. Personally I think he has more offensive upside. Not like Karlsson, but in a few years he could be a ten goal forty to fifty point player. If he gets a little more confidence, he should be a power play regular in a few years.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#26 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Compare these guys' 18-19 year old season to Larsson's.

Karlsson wasn't in the league
Doughty- 6-21-27 in 81
Pietrangelo wasn't in the league
Subban wasn't an NHL player until he was 21

A LOT can happen in 2 years for a young defenseman

Edit- I believe Larsson will end up a lot like Pitkanen

Edited by SMantzas, 21 February 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#27 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

I really think Larsson is a great pick, should pay off soon.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#28 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

personally while i agree that he improved i still havent seen anything from him telling me that he'll be an impact player for us... what i saw is that he will be an NHL player and not a liability and be alright at the very least, still young though and it takes time but i wouldnt pencil him a shoe in impact player / franchise dman for us just yet. I simply havent seen flashes of it yet like i remember seeing flashes of Karlsson, pietrangelo, doughty, subban, etc etc younger in their careers

i certainly fvcking hope so that he become that guy though we need it

My sentiments exactly.  Frankly, I don't see it either.  I think he should be made into a forward because he's not good with the puck in a tight spot in his own zone.  He's also scary carrying the puck.  I feel like he's going to get his head taken off every time he holds it for any substantial amount of time.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Larsson becoming an overall impact defenseman that would warrant his top 5 pick.  It's early so I'm hoping he's not Zyuzin.

#29 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hes been improving well, but he still blindly throws the puck into a bad place once or twice a game. But for the most part his reads have been much better this year. He does still get his bell rung a lot though.

#30 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

I have no worries about Larsson. He reminds me so much how Hedman looked early on, only smaller. Yes, he makes mistakes but he's still so young. You can see the talent there, you'd just like to see him be more consistent with it which will come with time and experience (hopefully).

Edited by PWW, 21 February 2013 - 07:24 PM.

believe-devs.jpg

#31 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Larson is playing great hockey, he is a franchise player for years to come.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#32 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

My sentiments exactly.  Frankly, I don't see it either.  I think he should be made into a forward because he's not good with the puck in a tight spot in his own zone.  He's also scary carrying the puck.  I feel like he's going to get his head taken off every time he holds it for any substantial amount of time.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Larsson becoming an overall impact defenseman that would warrant his top 5 pick.  It's early so I'm hoping he's not Zyuzin.

This is the most absurd suggestion I've seen posted here in quite some time.

#33 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

This is the most absurd suggestion I've seen posted here in quite some time.

Why? because of his immaculate defense?  People are looking at this guy through tinted lenses.  He has not been a good defenseman.  He's young, so you give him time.  But, that should be done in the minors. There's a reason he couldn't crack the lineup early on.  There is also no way he should be playing over Fayne and Tallinder.  He's slow and he gets beat constantly.  That is never going to change.  I hope that he is able to compensate with intelligence as he grows.  Right now, I don't see it. However, I would love to see him use that great shot of his off the wing and see him set up some guys from there as well.

#34 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Why? because of his immaculate defense?  People are looking at this guy through tinted lenses.  He has not been a good defenseman.  He's young, so you give him time.  But, that should be done in the minors. There's a reason he couldn't crack the lineup early on.  There is also no way he should be playing over Fayne and Tallinder.  He's slow and he gets beat constantly.  That is never going to change.  I hope that he is able to compensate with intelligence as he grows.  Right now, I don't see it. However, I would love to see him use that great shot of his off the wing and see him set up some guys from there as well.

weird-guy.gif

believe-devs.jpg

#35 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Larsson would make a crappy forward, most likely.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#36 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

weird-guy.gif

:haha2:

#37 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

A 20 year old defenseman is never going to improve? Are you being serious?

#38 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Well, Greene and him are the best passing d-pairing in the lineup (possibly, probably? the best 2 passers on the d), which is going to help generate quality chances, hence higher shooting percentage. They've also done a good job taking away the easy shots, forcing people to shoot from farther out, worse angles, etc. Sure, there's some puck luck, maybe even a lot, but I've noticed good players tend to get lucky a decent amount, and I think the Larsson Greene pairing does a lot of little things right. I'd be happier if Larsson did more big things, but there's a lot to be said for being a solid all around player. I see him at least being a better Paul Martin, and we should all miss him if we don't.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#39 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

A 20 year old defenseman is never going to improve? Are you being serious?

I never said he wasn't going to improve.  A players footspeed is what it is.

#40 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

I never said he wasn't going to improve.  A players footspeed is what it is.

I would disagree with this.  Players can get quicker.  In Larsson's case it isn't even his speed, it's his quickness in transitioning into his backwards skate, it's poor, and that's a technique that can certainly improve.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users