When does Reid Boucher get a shot? 

#142 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

who do we have on this team that could do that besides maybe Elias but rarely? Kovalchuk's not a wiggler like that he's more power. Zajac? Clarkson? Loktionov? Bobby Butler? Teams with Patrick Kane and Claude Giroux do it because they have Patrick Kane and Claude Giroux, not the other way around. And, I dunno, the system worked pretty well last year. 

thats false, we had Kovy and he's not even doing it anymore, why? cause he's playing the system perfectly. He'll carry the puck till right after the blue line and stop there, he'll NEVER try to beat the dman while they have an odd man rush, NEVER. if anything he'll take a shot through his legs.

www.SterioDesign.com

#143 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Volchenkov for a 5th do it Lou.

How would that make our team better exactly?

#144 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,562 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

thats false, we had Kovy and he's not even doing it anymore, why? cause he's playing the system perfectly. He'll carry the puck till right after the blue line and stop there, he'll NEVER try to beat the dman while they have an odd man rush, NEVER. if anything he'll take a shot through his legs.

Other than your use of always and never being totally ridiculous, I'm glad that Kovalchuk doesn't try 1 on 1 moves often anymore, because this isn't a 1 on 1 league.  You claim to watch so much hockey - are you noticing that defensemen don't often get beat 1 on 1 anymore, unless the guy has a ton of speed?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#145 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

How would that make our team better exactly?

cap space + another pick for the draft who could turn out to be a decent player.

we have a team who struggle to create good offence and make good breakouts and who's bad on the PK...

so why do we need a guy who cant score, cant create plays, slow and who take bad penalties at 4m+ a year?

www.SterioDesign.com

#146 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

who do we have on this team that could do that besides maybe Elias but rarely? Kovalchuk's not a wiggler like that he's more power. Zajac? Clarkson? Loktionov? Bobby Butler? Teams with Patrick Kane and Claude Giroux do it because they have Patrick Kane and Claude Giroux, not the other way around. And, I dunno, the system worked pretty well last year.

This. You can't expect players to "just deke 2 or 3 guys". There's pretty much no one on this team who can do that.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#147 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Other than your use of always and never being totally ridiculous, I'm glad that Kovalchuk doesn't try 1 on 1 moves often anymore, because this isn't a 1 on 1 league.  You claim to watch so much hockey - are you noticing that defensemen don't often get beat 1 on 1 anymore, unless the guy has a ton of speed?

you're missing my point there, i'm not saying Kovy should try to beat guys all the time, but do things differently. He's always doing the same thing and the only games that Kovy is really something to watch and produce is when he's going out of that system and that he's doing other stuff.

but as a matter of facts... yes im noticing guys beating dmen quite often and not that they score all the time but it's creating something or even a rebound. last game against washington... Ovechkin deked through our 2 dmen and got a shot and they scored off that rebound. on that play a devils carrier would have send the puck behind the net on the boards... see what im saying?

This. You can't expect players to "just deke 2 or 3 guys". There's pretty much no one on this team who can do that.

that's not what i meant, our guys can make pretty passes and plays down the middle we saw them doing it a few times in the last few years, but they don't go for that since they have to dump it most of the time. Or have a guy crashing to the net on a breakouts.. the guys simply dont go for those plays. And christ, when they actually try those plays it actually works pretty often. Ive been saying all year last year that the guys were not sending pucks to the net from the side, that they would only go for point shots... turns out our biggest goal of the playoffs came by sending a puck to the net from the side.

or Zajac OT goal against florida... Kovy went through the middle and made that pass, he went out of his typical play and it worked, im surprise they dont try it more often

Edited by SterioDesign, 23 February 2013 - 05:16 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#148 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

cap space + another pick for the draft who could turn out to be a decent player.

we have a team who struggle to create good offence and make good breakouts and who's bad on the PK...

so why do we need a guy who cant score, cant create plays, slow and who take bad penalties at 4m+ a year?

Or in other words, it doesn't make the team better. A draft pick and cap space (that we probably won't use anyway) won't help us score more goals. If you dump Volchenkov, his spot just gets filled by Tallinder/Fayne or maybe Harrold. Do you really think any of them are going to provide significantly more offense and improve the PK? I don't.

#149 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,562 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

you're missing my point there, i'm not saying Kovy should try to beat guys all the time, but do things differently. He's always doing the same thing and the only games that Kovy is really something to watch and produce is when he's going out of that system and that he's doing other stuff.

I don't see this at all.

but as a matter of facts... yes im noticing guys beating dmen quite often and not that they score all the time but it's creating something or even a rebound. last game against washington... Ovechkin deked through our 2 dmen and got a shot and they scored off that rebound. on that play a devils carrier would have send the puck behind the net on the boards... see what im saying?

You can't remember what player is responsible, but you're telling me to trust your memory that 1 on 1 dekes work a lot.  BTW, Clarkson has done this move a fair amount on the PP, and Bernier's tried it too - they come down their off-wing, the opponent expects a backhand pass off the boards to the trailing point man, but then they cut to the middle and get away a shot.  

that's not what i meant, our guys can make pretty passes and plays down the middle we saw them doing it a few times in the last few years, but they don't go for that since they have to dump it most of the time. Or have a guy crashing to the net on a breakouts.. the guys simply dont go for those plays. And christ, when they actually try those plays it actually works pretty often. Ive been saying all year last year that the guys were not sending pucks to the net from the side, that they would only go for point shots... turns out our biggest goal of the playoffs came by sending a puck to the net from the side.

or Zajac OT goal against florida... Kovy went through the middle and made that pass, he went out of his typical play and it worked, im surprise they dont try it more often

Both plays required enormous defensive breakdowns to succeed.  And your issue is that you are only thinking of when they work, not when they don't work.  Kovalchuk criss-crosses all the time in the neutral zone with people.  

The Devils should be trying to gain the blueline with speed, and they haven't exactly been successful in this regard lately.  I don't think it's because of some fundamental flaw with the Devils' system.

#150 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Or in other words, it doesn't make the team better. A draft pick and cap space (that we probably won't use anyway) won't help us score more goals. If you dump Volchenkov, his spot just gets filled by Tallinder/Fayne or maybe Harrold. Do you really think any of them are going to provide significantly more offense and improve the PK? I don't.

never said i wanted to get a better team NOW. Our farm team and prospect pool is terrible we have to try to get as much picks as we can. Volchenkov is not helping now and anything we can get for him would be appreciated at this point.

www.SterioDesign.com

#151 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Volchenkov was mainly known for being an expert shot blocker in Ottawa and he was more physical in Ottawa. He's neither in New Jersey.

except he's still both. blocks shots plenty when in position. where he did it a ton in ottawa was PK and you don't see it as much lately because the d move around so much.

he's also plenty physical and hits when it's appropriate. the notion of "scott stevens scaring forwards and knocking guys out of every game" isn't in the league anymore anywhere (and really, it was a lot of exaggeration and hyperbole w/ stevens also).

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#152 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

I don't see this at all.

You can't remember what player is responsible, but you're telling me to trust your memory that 1 on 1 dekes work a lot.  BTW, Clarkson has done this move a fair amount on the PP, and Bernier's tried it too - they come down their off-wing, the opponent expects a backhand pass off the boards to the trailing point man, but then they cut to the middle and get away a shot.  

Both plays required enormous defensive breakdowns to succeed.  And your issue is that you are only thinking of when they work, not when they don't work.  Kovalchuk criss-crosses all the time in the neutral zone with people.  

The Devils should be trying to gain the blueline with speed, and they haven't exactly been successful in this regard lately.  I don't think it's because of some fundamental flaw with the Devils' system.

it's like you don't get what im trying to say on purpose sometimes.

just tell me this... explain me what the Devils breakout and offensive system is from what you see and how they try to create their offence Go.

anyone who want to give it a shot can answer that too

www.SterioDesign.com

#153 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

never said i wanted to get a better team NOW. Our farm team and prospect pool is terrible we have to try to get as much picks as we can. Volchenkov is not helping now and anything we can get for him would be appreciated at this point.

Volchenkov is helping plenty. He plays 17 minutes a night, 3-4 min on the penalty kill, and he's an even +/-, so he's obviously not getting destroyed. You can't just remove him from the scene without replacing him with somebody, and you didn't answer my question. Who is the replacement for Volchenkov that isn't going to hurt the team? Do we really want to be removing pieces right now and building our prospect pool? You are talking as if we are out of the playoff race and we need to start rebuilding. We're still tied for 1st place. Trading usable pieces for low draft picks makes no sense.

Edited by iamtheprodigy, 23 February 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#154 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

except he's still both. blocks shots plenty when in position. where he did it a ton in ottawa was PK and you don't see it as much lately because the d move around so much.

he's also plenty physical and hits when it's appropriate. the notion of "scott stevens scaring forwards and knocking guys out of every game" isn't in the league anymore anywhere (and really, it was a lot of exaggeration and hyperbole w/ stevens also).

I never see Volch do anything that impressive anymore. At this point in his career Volch's downside far outweighs his upside.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#155 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

I was there.

I want my money back.

Just about the only player who showed-up was Kovy and maybe Matteau.

This Devils team is killed by any team that has any speed.  The Caps gave the Devils ample opportunities but the Devils played "Who Gives A sh!t We Already Got 2 Points" hockey this afternoon.

#156 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

I was there.

I want my money back.

Just about the only player who showed-up was Kovy and maybe Matteau.

This Devils team is killed by any team that has any speed.  The Caps gave the Devils ample opportunities but the Devils played "Who Gives A sh!t We Already Got 2 Points" hockey this afternoon.

Looks more to me the Devils played "It's waay to early to be playing" hockey this afternoon.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#157 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think the Devils miss Zuburs a bit to be honest..and someone else.
I won't say names...but he has the same initials as me, same first name.
Oh and if the playoffs started tomorrow we would be getting creamed by the Bruins...btw does that team ever fvcking play?
How is it possible That Boston has played 14 games and teams like the Flyers have already played 20; the Devils have played 18. I don't understand how that's fair plus their schedule is cake .. all they do is play the Islanders and Tampa Bay
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#158 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,562 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

btw josefson didn't play for albany, i wonder if they recall him and send down bobby butler.

#159 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

All this shuffling this guy out and this guy in doesn't really help with team rhythm. We got Winnipeg tomorrow and if we keep up with these weekly 5-1 give the other team's star player a hattrick games we're going to quickly be trying to hold onto 8th spot.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#160 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

StereoDesign, you're quickly becoming as annoying as another SD that preceded you. Step off the ledge a bit, bub.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users