Photo

Leagues realignment plan now official. Begins next season.

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#41 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,029 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Honestly the divisional playoff format works best when you have 16 of 21 making it

Under this format you will have cases where the Devils could finish 5th in the division one year while a team with less points finishes 4th in their division the same year.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#42 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

What a surprise, the revised plan sucks too. This fvcking league needs to stop trying to re-invent the wheel all the damn time. Switch Winnipeg and Columbus and be fvcking done with it. But nooooooo, it's the NHL. If it 'aint broke, fix it anyway. And make it worse. It should be the league's motto.

exactly right..constant changes, the trapezoid rule, re-alignment..all embarrassing...enough already

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,613 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Honestly the divisional playoff format works best when you have 16 of 21 making it

Under this format you will have cases where the Devils could finish 5th in the division one year while a team with less points finishes 4th in their division the same year.

That didn't happen in the old format?  When there were unbalanced divisions?  The Devils to make it in 1988, they had to scrape in with 85 points.  Six teams made the playoffs with fewer points that year.

Under the old format, in 1987, no one in the Norris finished over .500, but one was guaranteed entry to the Western Conference Finals.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Don't fix what's ain't broke. The format is not broken just move around a few teams. This league sometimes

#45 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Horrible. Why couldnt they just swap Columbus with Winnipeg and be done with it. 

#46 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

What a surprise, the revised plan sucks too. This fvcking league needs to stop trying to re-invent the wheel all the damn time. Switch Winnipeg and Columbus and be fvcking done with it. But nooooooo, it's the NHL. If it 'aint broke, fix it anyway. And make it worse. It should be the league's motto.

I knew I nominated this NJDevs award winner for a reason.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#47 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

fwiw, i spoke with Daly at the game today. He said that what has been reported is a little less than 1/2 right. he also told me that phx could just as easily, if not more likely, move to seattle before Canada. he also assured me that the everyone would have the same chance of making the playoffs - but didn't get into specifics obviously.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#48 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,273 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

fwiw, i spoke with Daly at the game today. He said that what has been reported is a little less than 1/2 right. he also told me that phx could just as easily, if not more likely, move to seattle before Canada. he also assured me that the everyone would have the same chance of making the playoffs - but didn't get into specifics obviously.

Interesting...the media wrong?  There's a shocker :P

Can't wait to hear the real third plan later this week when they finally put it to a vote :lol:

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#49 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

I knew I nominated this NJDevs award winner for a reason.

Haha, much appreciated brother. It always comes from the heart with me.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#50 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

I understand the need for realigning the divisions, but I really hope they don't mess with the playoff format.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#51 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

All they need to do is move Winnipeg to the Central and Detroit to the Northeast. Then change the playoff format to have the division champions be guranteed a playoff spot but they will be seeded 1-8 based on points so teams that don't deserve home ice won't get it anymore.

I think the division winning "reward" would be fixed by changing it to "at least top 4 seed". This guarantees home ice, a potential jump in the standings while giving other strong non-division leading teams a chance to compete for #3 (or potentially #2).

#52 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

This also screws Nashville over - a market that has been making tremendous strides. They lose their main rival and top draw in Detroit, and have a lot more traveling to do. This realignment plan makes less and less sense the more I think about it. Its like others have said in this thread - its just change for the sake of changing whats already working.

#53 GIANTS79

GIANTS79

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

a lot of good points here.  I especially agree with the post about how the NHL always needs to screw something up.  This is all their fault anyway.  All you hear about is how the Coyotes aren't doing well and will probably move, they should have never existed in the first place.  They should have just left the Jets alone in the 90's and never had them move.

I generally hate changes the NHL and/or teams make.  I still wish they would go back to white jersey's at home.  half of 91/92 they went to the road jersey at home which was fine and then went back and then in 03/04 they switched again and never went back.  Does bettman think this is the NFL?  It doesn't make any sense to make that a permanent switch.  I understand a part of a season every now and then, but that to me was absurd.

We have too many teams as it is.  coyotes shouldn't be there, no need for Nashville, no need for columbus among a few others.  I still wish they would get rid of some of those teams and bring back the Whalers and Nordiques and some of the teams go back to their better jersey's and logos (like what the canucks had when they had bure with the black jersey or the Jets with Selene.  Just too many changes from what didn't need to be changed (I am glad the Caps, Sabres, Islanders, Kings, and Penguins all went back to either the same jersey or one close to the older one before they made the foolish switch)  I do wish all of those teams among a few others would go back to the exact jersey's they wore in the early 90's

#54 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

@RealKyper: Hearing #NHL #NHLPA will soon announce an agreement in principle on realignment. Players appear comfortable enough moving forward.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#55 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Bah, I hate this rumored realignment, ruins everything. Bettman's motto: If it ain't broke, change it anyways.
25smul5.png

#56 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

AGHHHHHHHH. I JUST EXPLAINED HOW IT ALL WORKED TO MY FRIENDS LAST YEAR. Now, time to confuse those 3 hockey fans I made. Thanks a lot NHL.

#57 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,029 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

It's worth a try. You know if it doesn't produce the desired result the NHL can just scrap it. The 1 v 16 playoffs in the 80's didn't last very long either

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#58 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Bah, I hate this rumored realignment, ruins everything. Bettman's motto: If it ain't broke, change it anyways.

It's not broken for any teams in this area, but for many Western Conference teams, it has been broken for years.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#59 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,029 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

It's not broken for any teams in this area, but for many Western Conference teams, it has been broken for years.

Some of that is geography...the west is sparse. Metropolitan areas are more spread out and not connected. There is no Boston-Washington megalopolis as we essentially have here.

Some of it is the NHL's own doing as well. Does Anaheim need to exist? Does Nashville and Phoenix? No. Should Quebec, Minny and Winnipeg had their moves blocked by the league? Yes. That would've prevented a lot of Edmonton to Phoenix and then to somewhere else far away flights. But regardless, the West is always going to travel more.

#60 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

Just wondering, do teams in the Western half of the US in other sports leagues whine about travel as much as the ones in the NHL?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users