Photo

Leagues realignment plan now official. Begins next season.

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#61 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,188 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

That didn't happen in the old format?  When there were unbalanced divisions?  The Devils to make it in 1988, they had to scrape in with 85 points.  Six teams made the playoffs with fewer points that year.

Under the old format, in 1987, no one in the Norris finished over .500, but one was guaranteed entry to the Western Conference Finals.

it's tough to compare points across different eras of hockey. 2 fewer games were played back then. There were no cheap shootout points or points just for making it to OT. Bad teams couldn't shot block or clutch and grab their way to NHL .500.

The west had two dominant teams that year in Calgary and Edmonton (both would be 110+ point teams today) They beat up on everybody else

The Patrick had no dominant teams

What could you do. It was a 21 team league and you needed 8 out of 10 out west. I suppose it would've been fair to give Detroit and Calgary bye's and have the Blues play the Hawks and the Oil play the Jets, but the NHL wanted as many teams in the playoffs as possible

the 86-87 Campbell was prob better than the 87-88. Only you didn't have 4 on 4 gimmick OT and penalty shot derby's artificially inflating totals. 

Edited by '7', 01 March 2013 - 02:46 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#62 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Just wondering, do teams in the Western half of the US in other sports leagues whine about travel as much as the ones in the NHL?

It's only really a similar factor in the NBA since MLB only has fifteen or so road trips in a year (and almost half the schedule is in-division games so not as much travel), and in the NBA you have pockets of teams in the Central/South/West that you don't have in the NHL.

http://www.nba.com/s...ew_Std_Div.html

How many NBA teams are really going to be complaining about their IN-division travel the way NHL teams do?  They have three Texas teams, four California teams, etc.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 01 March 2013 - 05:12 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#63 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

It's only really a similar factor in the NBA since MLB only has fifteen or so road trips in a year (and almost half the schedule is in-division games so not as much travel), and in the NBA you have pockets of teams in the Central/South/West that you don't have in the NHL.

http://www.nba.com/s...ew_Std_Div.html

How many NBA teams are really going to be complaining about their IN-division travel the way NHL teams do?  They have three Texas teams, four California teams, etc.

Fair enough with the NBA, but the MLB has it pretty bad.  Even the Texas teams in the MLB have a lot of ground to cover for in-division games.  Yet I rarely hear about them whining and demanding re-alignment like NHL teams.

Edited by DevsMan84, 01 March 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#64 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Fair enough with the NBA, but the MLB has it pretty bad.  Even the Texas teams in the MLB have a lot of ground to cover for in-division games.  Yet I rarely hear about them whining and demanding re-alignment like NHL teams.

How many teams really have travel/time zone issues in MLB besides Houston/Texas though?  Pittsburgh playing teams an hour behind them in the NL Central?  Atlanta/Florida have some traveling with the NY/Philly/Washington part of the division but at least they're in the same time zone.  Other than that, there aren't really a lot of teams that stick out like a sore thumb.  Tampa Bay, same deal...they have more travel than the other teams in the AL East but at least all their games are at 7:30.  

The time zone factor in the NHL seems to be the bigger deal than actual distance traveled.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#65 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

@RealKyper: Hearing #NHL #NHLPA will soon announce an agreement in principle on realignment. Players appear comfortable enough moving forward.

Fantastic. Bracing for what I'm sure will be a disaster, it's the NHL Way.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#66 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

How many teams really have travel/time zone issues in MLB besides Houston/Texas though?  Pittsburgh playing teams an hour behind them in the NL Central?  Atlanta/Florida have some traveling with the NY/Philly/Washington part of the division but at least they're in the same time zone.  Other than that, there aren't really a lot of teams that stick out like a sore thumb.  Tampa Bay, same deal...they have more travel than the other teams in the AL East but at least all their games are at 7:30.  

The time zone factor in the NHL seems to be the bigger deal than actual distance traveled.

Time zone issues can be *mostly* resolved under the current format.   It would take going back to the experimental system where you played a thousand games against your own division, and limited games against the other conference, but really this format isn't going to be much different when it comes to that.

#67 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Believe i heard lous against the reallignment. Hopefully more gms of the eastern teams are against it and it doesnt get a passing vote

#68 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

NHLPA approved it thru 14-15 per tg

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#69 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Accepted as is, with the promise to re-evaluate after 2 full seasons (13-14, 14-15).

Say hello to 5 or 6 games a year with Columbus and Carolina.

Edited by Z-Man, 07 March 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#70 devils744

devils744

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

So are wild cards in each division? This is so stupid.

#71 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

This league really does suck.

#72 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Not surprised. Hopefully this dumbass format only lasts for the two years.

#73 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

So are wild cards in each division? This is so stupid.

Not in each division....the wild cards are conference-wide.

There are now 4 divisions: two in the West, and two in the East.

The two West divisions have 7 teams each. The top three teams in each division will make the playoffs, so that's the first 6 playoff spots. The remaining 2 playoff spots will be the "wild card" spots, and the 8 teams who aren't in the top 3 in their divisions will battle for them. So, 6 teams will miss the playoffs in the West.

The two East divisions have 8 teams each. The top three in each division make it, and the remaining 10 teams will fight for the last two wild card spots...meaning 8 teams will miss the playoffs in the East.

Not fair to the teams in the East, I don't like it.

Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#74 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Well it sounds good for the Sharks...

Edit: Again I'm curious what it means for expansion. Especially if Phoenix moves.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 07 March 2013 - 08:28 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#75 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Say hello to 5 or 6 games a year with Columbus and Carolina.

Great for me if I'm still living in Ohio!
Posted Image

#76 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

I can't believe this hasn't been discussed a lot already. Columbus? What the hell, why do we get Columbus dumped on us? I mean maybe it will yield a few wins a year, but can anyone really get excited over seeing the Blue Jackets more than we have to?
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#77 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

I need clarification on one thing, that being playoff seeding: since 8 teams in each conference still make the playoffs, are the teams still going to be seeded 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5? I'm taking it it will not be strictly divisional playoffs in the first 2 rounds now that they implemented these wild cards, correct?

#78 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,149 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

What i hate about it is more with the playoffs thing, wtv who were playing and how often.

but i hate how the top 3 of each division automatically make the playoffs... some of those could simply be there not cause they really made their way there but cause other teams has been terrible and by default they were the 3rd best one out of the bunch

www.SterioDesign.com

#79 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

I need clarification on one thing, that being playoff seeding: since 8 teams in each conference still make the playoffs, are the teams still going to be seeded 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5? I'm taking it it will not be strictly divisional playoffs in the first 2 rounds now that they implemented these wild cards, correct?

From espn...

http://m.espn.go.com...414&src=desktop

The new plan calls for divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs as the NHL currently has. The division winner with the most regular-season points will play the lowest-seeded wild-card team in the first round, with the other division winner playing the other wild-card team.

#80 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

I don't get them sticking to division playoffs if five teams from one division can make it.  So someone like Carolina can finish fifth in our division, yet win another division's 'title'?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users