225 replies to this topic

#221 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,884 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

We're not missing Parise's intangibles, we're missing his skill. 35-40 goal scorers/75-85 point players don't grow on trees.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#222 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

And what makes you think Kinkaid is ready for the NHL? I always liked the J. Bernier to the Devils ideas. The guy was supposed to be LA's number one until Quick turned out to be Quick. He has NHL experience, has been amazing the few times he's played this year, is starter ready right now...etc. I love Wedge's potential too but what if he doesn't pan out? Same with Kinky. Bernier just seems like a "sure thing" goalie wise that can be had for pretty cheap. (Well not "cheap" but it's not like Bernier would fetch a king's randsom")

No one knows if he is yet, but he's closer than Wedge. He's 3 years older, and he's had a season and a half of AHL experience plus decent numbers with a bad Albany team. The time is coming for him to get a shot at the NHL and see what he can do. Marty's back injury is a perfect time to do that, since he should only be out a week or so. Why would they call up Wedge for that? And why trade for Bernier when you have 2 goalies with NTC's and +35 contracts signed through the end of next season? Once Brodeur is back, you'd have 3 NHL goalies.

Of course they will need someone eventually, but right now acquiring Bernier would eat a roster spot because he's beyond the AHL. He's an RFA in July, so I highly doubt he'd be willing to take a step back and sit in the AHL next season and wait around. Meanwhile, we have Kinkaid already and he doesn't need to pass through waivers, so why not see what he can do while we have a chance?

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#223 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

We're not missing Parise's intangibles, we're missing his skill. 35-40 goal scorers/75-85 point players don't grow on trees.

And yet he still wasn't the source of the team winning.  How's the Wild doing?

He's Joe Sakic light.  He's got skill, great attitude - but he's not the Man.  He's just not.  He'll win with the team and lose with the team.  He's not the guy making it happen.  Nothing would be markedly different on this team if he was here. 

You are correct though -- we don't miss his intangibles because the fact is - he's got none.  He needs to find his intangibles.  I was just being polite.  :)

Here's the thing -- I loved him on the team -- and I think he's just swell on the Wild too.  Great hockey guy --  true Lady Byng material.  Like Joe Sakic .. and yet I HATED THE EVERLOVING sh!t OUT OF BALLSAKIC!  Just dont get that fired up about Zach.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 26 February 2013 - 12:43 PM.

I'm here for the party

#224 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,884 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

He wasn't the cause of the team winning but they'd absolutely be better with him on the first line as opposed to Matteau/Butler.

The Wild were so overrated in the offseason though lol, and Suter himself was overrated too.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#225 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

He wasn't the cause of the team winning but they'd absolutely be better with him on the first line as opposed to Matteau/Butler.

I agree the state of mind would be a little better for the coaching staff. Anxiety levels would be a lot lower,  but the record I dont think would be one bit different -- except maybe Hedberg's GAA. :giggle:

:mellow:

:tomato:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 26 February 2013 - 01:03 PM.

I'm here for the party

#226 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,493 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Our scoring is fine. Our defensive play is the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users