What was worse?

sheeps

What was worse?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What was worse?

• Holik signing with the Rangers
    • Stevenson signing with the Flyers

MacLean would have stayed with the Devils if Lou didn't jerk him around. Early in that fateful season John requested to the coach that he get more time on the powerplay. He didn't get it. His role was diminished to checking forward killing penalties. John felt that he was a goal scorer and could help the teams offense, but the coaching staff didn't see it that way. So John went to Lou and said he was unhappy with the way the team was treating him. Lou said that he would talk it over with the coaching staff and if their opinion was that he couldn't help the PP, they would find a way to trade him to a team that would use him in more of an offensive role.

Months passed. John goes to see Lou again to see if there is any progress. Lou says "just hold in there John, we're trying to get something done". Another month passes. Nothing. John tried to deal with it quietly. He tried to keep it hush hush. For 5 months he waited for Lou and/or the coaching staff to rectify the situation. So in the end he did what he had to do.

If he couldn't score goals, perhaps the Devils would have a beef. But I knew he could get goals. I knew the spark of the old John MacLean was still in there. So in his first year with the Rangers I bet CRASHER $10 US (which I have now relinquishd to Triumph) that John would get at least 20 goals that year. And he proved me right.

BTW - Lou's banishment methods might be used in the Niedermayer case if they can't come to an equitable solution. He always trades the players that piss him off to non-contenders.

Any truth to that story?

I think Don's timing is a little off since Johnny Mac was traded before Christmas of that season. Since the season started in October, if it all happened in that single season, it didn't happen in the timetable he's laying out.

I do know that Lemaire did not believe that MacLean was an offensive force anymore. He said as much after MacLean was traded. It may have been that Lou wasn't direct with MacLean about the fact that Lemaire wasn't going to use him and took his sweet time about trading him. But he was traded before Christmas, so it didn't take as long as Don was saying.

Sue is right.. my timing of the story was off, the rest I believe to be true. My mailing list archive doesn't go back to December of 97, but it does go back as far as the summer of 98, so I do have these:

" From:

Edited by Don

My mailing list archive doesn't go back to December of 98, but it does go back as far as the summer of 98, so I do have these:

How does ones archive go back to the SUMMER of '98 and not December of '98? :unsure:

My mailing list archive doesn't go back to December of 98, but it does go back as far as the summer of 98, so I do have these:

How does ones archive go back to the SUMMER of '98 and not December of '98? :unsure:

He probably meant 97...

Probably, but it shows he edited, just not that! :P

that email list also had a habit of sending out flame wars that would lead to 110 emails in the course of 5 minutes ... so maybe some of it got lost in the spatting.. i sure miss that place :D

and it's ok.. I made $30 afterwards when Mike tried to bet me Holik would score 30 goals as a Ranger :lol: