Photo

What was worse?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: What was worse? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

What was worse?

1. Holik signing with the Rangers (38 votes [88.37%])

Percentage of vote: 88.37%

2. Stevenson signing with the Flyers (5 votes [11.63%])

Percentage of vote: 11.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:40 PM

What do I mean by "worse"? Several things... primarily, did Stevenson betray the team as much as Holik did? And several ancillary things, like which loss hurts the team more?

#2 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:41 PM

Hell, now that I think of it I could have added even more... MacLean signing with the Rangers, etc.

#3 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:58 PM

or Driver.

This one is a no-brainer. Holik WAS part of something special and the Devils structure made his career.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#4 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,693 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:58 PM

Stevenson cause I expected some kinda arrogant prick kinda thing like that from Holik :P
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#5 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:02 PM

MacLean would have stayed with the Devils if Lou didn't jerk him around. Early in that fateful season John requested to the coach that he get more time on the powerplay. He didn't get it. His role was diminished to checking forward killing penalties. John felt that he was a goal scorer and could help the teams offense, but the coaching staff didn't see it that way. So John went to Lou and said he was unhappy with the way the team was treating him. Lou said that he would talk it over with the coaching staff and if their opinion was that he couldn't help the PP, they would find a way to trade him to a team that would use him in more of an offensive role.

Months passed. John goes to see Lou again to see if there is any progress. Lou says "just hold in there John, we're trying to get something done". Another month passes. Nothing. John tried to deal with it quietly. He tried to keep it hush hush. For 5 months he waited for Lou and/or the coaching staff to rectify the situation. So in the end he did what he had to do.

If he couldn't score goals, perhaps the Devils would have a beef. But I knew he could get goals. I knew the spark of the old John MacLean was still in there. So in his first year with the Rangers I bet CRASHER $10 US (which I have now relinquishd to Triumph) that John would get at least 20 goals that year. And he proved me right.

BTW - Lou's banishment methods might be used in the Niedermayer case if they can't come to an equitable solution. He always trades the players that piss him off to non-contenders.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#6 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:06 PM

Any truth to that story?
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#7 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:13 PM

Any truth to that story?

I think Don's timing is a little off since Johnny Mac was traded before Christmas of that season. Since the season started in October, if it all happened in that single season, it didn't happen in the timetable he's laying out.

I do know that Lemaire did not believe that MacLean was an offensive force anymore. He said as much after MacLean was traded. It may have been that Lou wasn't direct with MacLean about the fact that Lemaire wasn't going to use him and took his sweet time about trading him. But he was traded before Christmas, so it didn't take as long as Don was saying.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#8 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:26 PM

He always trades the players that piss him off to non-contenders.

Sykora to Ducks ?
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#9 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:19 PM

Sue is right.. my timing of the story was off, the rest I believe to be true. My mailing list archive doesn't go back to December of 97, but it does go back as far as the summer of 98, so I do have these:

" From:

Edited by Don, 07 July 2004 - 08:51 PM.

#10 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:22 PM

My mailing list archive doesn't go back to December of 98, but it does go back as far as the summer of 98, so I do have these:

How does ones archive go back to the SUMMER of '98 and not December of '98? :unsure:
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#11 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:28 PM

My mailing list archive doesn't go back to December of 98, but it does go back as far as the summer of 98, so I do have these:

How does ones archive go back to the SUMMER of '98 and not December of '98? :unsure:

He probably meant 97...

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#12 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:33 PM

:lol:
Hmm that's an interesting note.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#13 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:35 PM

He probably meant 97...

Probably, but it shows he edited, just not that! :P
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#14 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,693 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:25 PM

that email list also had a habit of sending out flame wars that would lead to 110 emails in the course of 5 minutes ... so maybe some of it got lost in the spatting.. i sure miss that place :D

and it's ok.. I made $30 afterwards when Mike tried to bet me Holik would score 30 goals as a Ranger :lol:
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#15 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:07 PM

[quote name='sammyk' date='Jul 7 2004, 07:35 PM']
He probably meant 97... [/QUOTE]
Probably, but it shows he edited, just not that! :P [/quote]
Fixed. Picky, picky.

BTW - I know if you can get here without being a member:
http://groups.yahoo....up/devils-list/

CRASHER: Yeah, flame wars were fun. I'd come home from work and there would be 100 e-mails. Two hundred on trade deadline day. :lol:

-------------

Back to the topic at hand, I think that I was actually HAPPY to see Holik go. First, if he had accepted Lou's offer, it would have thrown our salary structure worse out of wack than it already is. Second, he was getting to be a big pain. It was like, Holik is gone? Good. Next.

Turner on the other hand, I can't see him going another 3 years. And how often will he be in the lineup of those 3 years? Loved him. One of the few to actually show up against Colorado. Played his heart out that series and most of the games he played - but even so, I wouldn't risk a 3 year contract.

Mogilny did sh!t for us in the playoffs. I didn't mind seeing him go. He was absolutly awesome during the meaningless regular season, but when we really needed him - he went into hibernation. Good ridance.

So I think the ones that bothered me of players that just up and left, I'd say Driver (we offered the same money, but without the no trade clause - I think that, like Dano, Lou wouldn't have traded Bruce - he just didn't like no trade clauses). I definitely missed having Bruce on the team. And John. I don't think that mess should have happened. More recently, I think we should have done more to keep Joe Nieuwendyk. I know he wanted to play in Toronto, but they left any and all negotiations until VERY late in the summer. We had a chance to bargain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users