Photo

Opinion on divisional playoffs

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Divisional playoffs (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you in favor of divisional playoffs

1. In favor (10 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Against (30 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Let's ignore what teams go where and pretend its all even would you be in favor of divisional playoffs?

I don't care for it. You get teams out of playoffs that would deserve to get in before. Even if you add a cross over wild card spot you seem to be rewarding the team by moving them into a weaker conference for the playoffs. Plus you are going to hurt the semi finals with a strong divisional cannibalizing itself.

#2 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

It SHOULD be the top two from each division get guaranteed top seeds (reward for doing well), then the best 4 left get Wild Cards, but that would make too much sense and we know the NHL is incapable of that.....the fact that they are redoing the wheel to appease Detroit (and KILL the Chicago and St Louis rivalry in the process) is damned criminal......

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#3 GIANTS79

GIANTS79

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

I hope they keep it the 1-8 format

Let's ignore what teams go where and pretend its all even would you be in favor of divisional playoffs?

I don't care for it. You get teams out of playoffs that would deserve to get in before. Even if you add a cross over wild card spot you seem to be rewarding the team by moving them into a weaker conference for the playoffs. Plus you are going to hurt the semi finals with a strong divisional cannibalizing itself.

#4 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

I don't mind the realignment, but I hate the idea of the divisional playoffs. Please keep the 1-8 format

#5 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

Division playoff rivalries were one of the many joys of late 80's - early 90's hockey, and I'd love to see that again. There were some awesome series that came out of that time.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#6 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

I wish that they would just do a 1-16 based on the way they rank teams now, if they're going to a 4 conference/division format. Just take the 16 teams with the most points and seed them 1-16. Then we don't have the stupidness of the best East teams playing eachother all year then in the playoffs too, just so we can 90% of the time beat the weak team that comes out of the other division. Doesn't sound fun. Couldn't they make the East one big conference of 16(like it is now) and just leave it like that?

Or even just realign the west divisions based on time zone.

Pacific Div:
VAN
ANA

SJS

LAK

PHX

NW:
WIN
CGY
EDM
COL
DAL

Central:
CHI
STL

MIN

NSH

CBJ

Put Detroit in the East in the SE for now and promise them a move to more suitable division once the NHL expands to 32. Or again, realign the whole East into new divisions

Atlantic:
NJD
NYR
NYI
PHI
DET

NE:

BOS

TOR
MTL
BUF
OTT

SE:
WSH
TBL
FLA
CAR
PIT

That obviously SUCKS for PIT, but I tried to make it so no one was weird out of their areas, but somebody had to and at least they'd stay with WSH in my set up there. My point being, that we can realign based on time zone and not mess with the formula so much.

Edit: I tried to put the divisions side by side as to not make this a page long post, but I failed at it.

Edited by ATLL765, 27 February 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#7 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Absolutely hate it, under this proposed format we'll never see another Devils-Rangers Conference Final again, which completely sucks. They say this new divisional format will create more rivalries in the playoffs, but quite honestly it's better when you have two bitter rivals (NJ-NYR, PHI-PIT, BOS-MTL, etc...) battling for a chance to play in the SCF, the fact that they'll completely eliminate that is horrible imo.

Also this is what i'd do, keep the 2 conference, 6 division set-up, to hell with Detroit, they can stay out west, and bring Phoenix to Quebec:

ATL:
BUF, NJ, NYI, NYR, PHI

NE:
BOS, MTL, OTT, TOR, QUE

SE:
CAR, FLA, TB, PIT, WSH

CEN:
CHI, CBJ, DET, NSH, STL

NW:
CGY, COL, EDM, MIN, WPG

PAC:
ANA, DAL, LA, SJ, VAN

Again, Pittsburgh kinda gets screwed getting booted to the Southeast, but from a commercial standpoint, the NHL gets to promote the Pens-Caps/Crosby-Ovechkin rivalry more

Edited by Brandon, 27 February 2013 - 01:20 PM.

25smul5.png

#8 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

to hell with Detroit,

Have you seen pictures of Detroit... already there.

But yeah that's another thing about it. Sucks that Detroit plays alot of 10- 10:30 games now but why break the whole system for the Red Wings

#9 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Why is everyone crying over the Red Wings/Blackhawks rivalry dying? Yeah it sucks, but it revives the Red Wings/Leafs rivalry. And it will develop future rivalries for the redwings. So the entire league hates playing them, not just the west :)

Devils.

#10 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

personally i would like to go back to full dividional playoffs....

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#11 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Why is everyone crying over the Red Wings/Blackhawks rivalry dying? Yeah it sucks, but it revives the Red Wings/Leafs rivalry. And it will develop future rivalries for the redwings. So the entire league hates playing them, not just the west :)

Everyone but people actually from Detroit seem to be crying about the rivalry. Wings fans really don't care, they just want to play in their time zone.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#12 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,215 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

I'm ok with trying it out for at least 1 year. The Wild Card idea is pretty good to make sure the deserving teams get in

though I'm 50/50 with this getting passed. A lot of fans are against it.

Edited by '7', 27 February 2013 - 02:32 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#13 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Just heard something interesting proposed. Why not swap Detroit for Pittsburgh? Put DET in the ATL, PIT in the Central, NSH in the SE, Winni into the NW and MIN to the Central and then everyone's happy, right?

#14 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Just heard something interesting proposed. Why not swap Detroit for Pittsburgh? Put DET in the ATL, PIT in the Central, NSH in the SE, Winni into the NW and MIN to the Central and then everyone's happy, right?

What, nobody's happy with that.  The biggest issue with Detroit and Columbus in the Central division is that as the schedule is played now, these teams have all their conference away games not against each other starting at 8 against divisional opponents.  Then they have to play away games against the Pacific and Northwest, which means 4 games at 8, 8 games at 9, and 8 games at 10.  I can't imagine the bitching and complaining that would come out of here if the Devils had to play nearly a fifth of their schedule where the games don't start until 9 PM.

I like the idea of divisional playoffs.  Who cares about Devils-Rangers in the Conference Finals - it could be decades before they'd meet in the Conference Finals again, the odds were already super-slim that they would meet twice there ever since they went to three divisions.  For all the rivalry Ottawa-Toronto had, they never met in the Conference Finals - there are only a few iterations which produce the certainty of meeting in a Conference Final:  If the teams were seeded 2-6, 4-7, 5-7, 6-8, and 7-8.  The rest involve the playoffs shaking out the right way, and there are tons more possible playoffs where they can't meet in the Conference final (e.g. 1-7, etc.)

Edited by Triumph, 27 February 2013 - 03:34 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#15 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

I wonder what kind of split you'd get based on when someone became a hockey fan.

Back in the day winning your divisional playoffs was exciting and a big deal(whereas right now winning rounds 1 and 2 are nice but only a means to an end). Winning your division meant you were the champion of all your close rivals and you hated those rivals since you competed almost yearly in the playoffs.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#16 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

I don't understand how they can call it divisional playoffs with the current wildcard.

-Division A's Seed 1 could end up playing Division B's 4th/5th seed.
-Division B's 4th/5th seed wins, goes on to play Division A's 2nd/3rd winner
-Division B's 4th/5th seed wins again to win Division A's title.
-Universe implodes

or maybe I don't get the wildcard...

---
I'm fine with 4 conferences/divisions and even divisional playoffs, but just wait until they add Seattle and [KC|Hamilton|QC] and can properly balance everything.

Edited by squishyx, 27 February 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#17 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'm fine with it except for the rigid playoff structure.  I dislike playing your own div. the first 2 rounds EVERY year. 

#18 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

What, nobody's happy with that.  The biggest issue with Detroit and Columbus in the Central division is that as the schedule is played now, these teams have all their conference away games not against each other starting at 8 against divisional opponents.  Then they have to play away games against the Pacific and Northwest, which means 4 games at 8, 8 games at 9, and 8 games at 10.  I can't imagine the bitching and complaining that would come out of here if the Devils had to play nearly a fifth of their schedule where the games don't start until 9 PM.

I like the idea of divisional playoffs.  Who cares about Devils-Rangers in the Conference Finals - it could be decades before they'd meet in the Conference Finals again, the odds were already super-slim that they would meet twice there ever since they went to three divisions.  For all the rivalry Ottawa-Toronto had, they never met in the Conference Finals - there are only a few iterations which produce the certainty of meeting in a Conference Final:  If the teams were seeded 2-6, 4-7, 5-7, 6-8, and 7-8.  The rest involve the playoffs shaking out the right way, and there are tons more possible playoffs where they can't meet in the Conference final (e.g. 1-7, etc.)

Divisional playoffs sound interesting until you realize they're using 8 team pods instead of 5 team pods.

I absolutely hate this format, the best teams should make the playoffs.    Travel dictates the playoffs can't be fully open, but closing them up makes no sense.   Not to mention it doesn't help when a new format gets leaked every day.   Makes it look like no one has a clue of what they're doing.   Feels like the NHL is going backwards in regards to this compared to everyone else.

If they are going to 32 it's inevitable but it would make a tad more sense to wait until they go to 32 to do it.     You can move the divisions around to help   *most* of these teams in the 6 of 5 format.

I wonder what kind of split you'd get based on when someone became a hockey fan.

Back in the day winning your divisional playoffs was exciting and a big deal(whereas right now winning rounds 1 and 2 are nice but only a means to an end). Winning your division meant you were the champion of all your close rivals and you hated those rivals since you competed almost yearly in the playoffs.

Pens - Hurricanes

Devils - Caps

Devils - Hurricanes

Devils

You feeling that bracket?   Feels like a normal round 1-2 to me.

#19 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Divisional playoffs sound interesting until you realize they're using 8 team pods instead of 5 team pods.

I absolutely hate this format, the best teams should make the playoffs.    Travel dictates the playoffs can't be fully open, but closing them up makes no sense.   Not to mention it doesn't help when a new format gets leaked every day.   Makes it look like no one has a clue of what they're doing.   Feels like the NHL is going backwards in regards to this compared to everyone else.

If they are going to 32 it's inevitable but it would make a tad more sense to wait until they go to 32 to do it.     You can move the divisions around to help   *most* of these teams in the 6 of 5 format.

Pens - Hurricanes

Devils - Caps

Devils - Hurricanes

Devils

You feeling that bracket?   Feels like a normal round 1-2 to me.

So worst case scenario is you end up with the same whatever matchups you have now.  You play those same teams over and over again and real passion builds up amongst those fan bases.  That's not really a guess, that's how it used to be.

I don't know that the passion would happen again now that the Internet and TV is so much more prevalent, but I imagine that's what the league is going for.  In the past, divisional playoffs helped create rivalries and I think it probably would do so again, if given time.

The league is sort of damned if it does, damned if it doesn't.  When the league moved away from divisional playoffs people were upset because they were ruining rivalries, now the league wants to go back to that format and people are also upset.  

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#20 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

The odds of things like maxpower's 'weak bracket' are very slim.  If we assume that all teams are equally likely to make the playoffs, in an 8 team bracket and let's just assume 4 get in to make it easier, the Devils, upon getting in, would have a 43% chance of playing either the Penguins, Flyers, or Rangers in the first round.  

I mean you can just as easily draw up an 8 team playoff where no rivals play each other at all.

Edited by Triumph, 27 February 2013 - 05:42 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users