84 replies to this topic

#41 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

The cutoff point always seems to rise in the second half of the season too, as some teams surge and make deadline acquisitions while others fall out of it.  Maybe this season will be different with only conference play and a shortened season but I think the cutoff line will wind up being several points ahead of .500.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#42 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

The cutoff point always seems to rise in the second half of the season too, as some teams surge and make deadline acquisitions while others fall out of it.  Maybe this season will be different with only conference play and a shortened season but I think the cutoff line will wind up being several points ahead of .500.

My guess is the cutoff will be just about 54-55 points. 58 at the most.

#43 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

The east is pretty bad though.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#44 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

panic in funkatron

Devils.

#45 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

I went back a couple of years and the highest cutoff seems to be about 1.15 points per game. So worst case is Devils need 55 points.

So...they can only lose 12 more games or any point combo thereof for 30 points.  15-12-0....seems doable.

#46 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

We can give up this year OR next years pick.

You sure? I could have sworn last year was the final real decision on this. We were all surprised Lou kept it since it was such a late pick. Don't the Devs lose the next one?
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#47 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

I went back a couple of years and the highest cutoff seems to be about 1.15 points per game. So worst case is Devils need 55 points.

So...they can only lose 12 more games or any point combo thereof for 30 points.  15-12-0....seems doable.

Well then we'd better get our shiite together.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#48 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

You sure? I could have sworn last year was the final real decision on this. We were all surprised Lou kept it since it was such a late pick. Don't the Devs lose the next one?

We acquired Kovy in 09-10, we signed him in August of 2010, after the 2010 draft, so there's been the 2011 and 2012 drafts since then. As the penalty was a 1st round pick in one of the next 4 drafts, this leaves us with the 2013 or 2014 in which to give up a 1st rd pick. One can only assume it will be next year as this draft sounds deep and you have to take a good bet now than the chance of a better one next year.

Edited by ATLL765, 03 March 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#49 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

I believe in this team... we are in playoff spot right now and you have been playing poorly since 6-7 game... we will be back on track and climb the ladder in the top seed

#50 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I believe in this team... we are in playoff spot right now and you have been playing poorly since 6-7 game... we will be back on track and climb the ladder in the top seed

Unicorns and Magic!

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#51 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

The 1995 Devils were 9-11-4 at this point. They had a good end of March, but still looked terrible before the playoffs. People need to step off the ledge.

Also, this team had periods where they played like this last season, too. Everyone panicked then as well.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#52 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

The 1995 Devils were 9-11-4 at this point. They had a good end of March, but still looked terrible before the playoffs. People need to step off the ledge.

Also, this team had periods where they played like this last season, too. Everyone panicked then as well.

teams don't stay consistent throughout an entire season. it's magnified in the shortened season, but a 6-10 game stretch after our start's not gonna kill us. If it happens for another 6-10 games, then yeah by all means panic but with goaltending this awful, with marty coming back, it probably won't be this bad 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#53 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

People also need to stop comparing 1995 records with 2012 records.  The OT point changes the entire dynamic of standings and what you can survive to make the playoffs.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#54 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

People also need to stop comparing 1995 records with 2012 records. The OT point changes the entire dynamic of standings and what you can survive to make the playoffs.

I'm referring more to the situation. Just because a team doesn't look fantastic all 48 games doesn't mean they cant do anything that season. Hockey is a streaky game. Like I said in the other thread, Chicago is on fire, but the could get knocked out in 5 games if they slump and hit another hot team in the first round.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#55 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'm referring more to the situation. Just because a team doesn't look fantastic all 48 games doesn't mean they cant do anything that season. Hockey is a streaky game. Like I said in the other thread, Chicago is on fire, but the could get knocked out in 5 games if they slump and hit another hot team in the first round.

It matters if you don't MAKE the playoffs to begin with.  People also really need to stop taking the playoffs for granted.  We're like what, three points up now?  And that's after an 8-1-2 start.

Plus it's more who we're losing to as opposed to the fact we're actually losing.  Tomorrow's the first time in like three weeks we play a team above us in the standings, and this is who we've gone 2-6-2 against, teams below us.  You can't always count on beating the good teams so you better beat the bad ones at 'some' point.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 03 March 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#56 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

It matters if you don't MAKE the playoffs to begin with.  People also really need to stop taking the playoffs for granted.  We're like what, three points up now?  And that's after an 8-1-2 start.

Plus it's more who we're losing to as opposed to the fact we're actually losing.  Tomorrow's the first time in like three weeks we play a team above us in the standings, and this is who we've gone 2-6-2 against, teams below us.  You can't always count on beating the good teams so you better beat the bad ones at 'some' point.

Eh, I'm not valuing the standings that much. When we were on, we beat the good teams. Now we're off, and we can't seem to beat anyone. I think the real Devils are somewhere in the middle, and I think we win enough games to get in, at which point anything can happen.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#57 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,493 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Eh, I'm not valuing the standings that much. When we were on, we beat the good teams. Now we're off, and we can't seem to beat anyone. I think the real Devils are somewhere in the middle, and I think we win enough games to get in, at which point anything can happen.

You're supposed to be jumping off a ledge.

Have the Devils been outplayed in these last few games?  Not really - Hedberg hasn't been great in any of them, and the Devils haven't gotten the bounces.  They were getting the bounces before.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#58 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

lol remember when we were going to get Sam Gagner for Tallinder?

#59 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

It's time. It's time to be extremely concerned at the very least.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#60 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

You're supposed to be jumping off a ledge.

Must have missed the memo. I'll find the nearest ledge now.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users