123 replies to this topic

#61 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,055 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

I think even Bill underestimated the 'Tebow factor'.  Eventually he might be able to quell it with enough no comments and stock answers, but Kraft saying what he did doesn't exactly help.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#62 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,262 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

I think even Bill underestimated the 'Tebow factor'.  Eventually he might be able to quell it with enough no comments and stock answers, but Kraft saying what he did doesn't exactly help.

I agree.  I think he's so arrogant these days that he thinks he can make anything work (you'd think the fact that his Ds have been a joke in recent years would've humbled him a little).  But I don't think he realized that Tebow attracts religious zealots who know almost nothing about football and wouldn't even follow the sport otherwise, but love Tebow for his spirituality and follow every move he makes, and think he should be playing no matter what because, well, by virtue of his spirituality, he's a "winner", case closed.

I really hope he doesn't make the team...he's so unworthy of the distraction he creates.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#63 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,981 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

Aaron Hernandez being questioned in a murder case: http://profootballta...merge-with-box/
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#64 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Aaron Hernandez being questioned in a murder case: http://profootballta...merge-with-box/

I didn’t say anything 4 days ago when reports said Hernandez was “uncooperative” with law enforcement. –Because really, that can mean anything. If you say that you don’t want to talk to police until your lawyer is present (which that is your right) that can be viewed as not being cooperative.

I didn’t say anything 2 days ago when ESPN said; Hernandez has “not been ruled out as a suspect” –because (again conjecture) that sounds alot like; “Aaron Hernandez is a suspect” which just wasn’t true at the time.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9409826/police-issue-arrest-warrant-aaron-hernandez-new-england-patriots-reports-abc-news

Now I’m saying something..

..what a tragic, tragic story. Someone is dead, having been murdered for God only knows what.. and a 23 year old kid has (not only) thrown away his career, but very well may have thrown away his life too. Whether it’s obstruction of justice, covering up a homicide, or if he was the trigger-man himself, one thing’s for sure..  AH is about to walk the plank for something. Hopefully his outcome over the next few months will be a wake-up call for young professional athletes to appreciate what it is that they have. (although, I doubt it)

Edited by Beezer34, 21 June 2013 - 07:51 AM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#65 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,262 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

The facts still have to come out, but suffice it to say this looks REALLY bad for Hernandez.  It's impossible to ignore that. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#66 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

The facts still have to come out, but suffice it to say this looks REALLY bad for Hernandez.  It's impossible to ignore that.

incocent untill proven guilty, but the writing on thewall reeks like oj. this could drag into next year, so theres still a chance he plays this season

#67 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,262 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

I don't see how they can possibly let him play until this is cleared up and he is ruled out a suspect, but whether or not he can play is about as low as it can get on the scale of importance.  Each day as more comes out, this is looking worse and worse.

#30 FOREVER!

#68 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

good point but isn't it true that even with criminal charges against you you can't stop a man from making money working at his livelihood

#69 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

incocent untill proven guilty, but the writing on thewall reeks like oj. this could drag into next year, so theres still a chance he plays this season

Regarding everything off the field, and our countries great judicial system, you are 100% correct. Until proven otherwise AH is an innocent man. However, with that said, let's be real here. The rent-a-car was in his name.. neighbors reportedly heard gunshots.. he's caught on video with the victim an hour before his death.. the body was found a mile from his house.. and 24 hours later, the guy destroys his home video surveillance, his cell phone, and hires a cleaning crew to scrub down his house. :glare:  Clearly he was involved some way in this crime. To what extent? --I have no idea.

Regarding everything on the field with NE.. (and obviously, in terms of priority(s), this is a secondary conversation to the crime) I'll quote Fat Mike; "the AFC East is now wide opened."

Even if Aaron is exonerated of anything & everything, the league will shut him down for the 2013 season. That’s what he agreed upon when he signed the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy. Big Ben got off scott-free, with no charges brought up against him, and the NFL still slammed him with a 6 game suspension.

Gronk is expected to need between 12 to 14 weeks to heal. This surgery was different then the back operation he had 3 years ago. Microscopic lumbar discectomy removes part of the spine\disk(s). If the Patriots do right by him (which I expect them to do) and don't rush his recovery, he could be back playing by Week 4.. Week 5 at the latest. Again though, there's no way in predicting if he'll be 100%, or when he'll be. The downside for NE is they start their first 2 games of the year against divisional opponents, which could prove costly at the end of the season regarding tiebreakers. 

Granted they got Leon, Amendola, & Tebow this offseason. But it's a tough sell to convince me that those players are just going to step in at the start of the year for Wes Welker, Danny Woodhead, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, and Brandon Llyod without missing a beat. Tom Brady can cement his legacy if he takes this team to even a 10-6 record.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#70 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,262 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

It's OK Beez...don't hide your excitement too much.

#30 FOREVER!

#71 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,055 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Brady won three SB's with Deion Branch as his main receiver, he doesn't need anything to cement his legacy.

But yeah so far it's been a nightmare offseason for them. I'd still wait and see before assuming a suspension for Hernandez. Ray Lewis didn't get suspended for a similar situation, then again Sheriff Goodell wasn't around then either.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#72 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,262 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Brady won three SB's with Deion Branch as his main receiver, he doesn't need anything to cement his legacy.

But yeah so far it's been a nightmare offseason for them. I'd still wait and see before assuming a suspension for Hernandez. Ray Lewis didn't get suspended for a similar situation, then again Sheriff Goodell wasn't around then either.

Beez is just being his usual stir-the-pot self, just doing it earlier this year.  Brady cemented his legacy a long time ago. 

Everything I've seen about Gronkowski states that doctors are optimistic that he may be able to play by Week 1 (though I'm not kidding myself that he'll be Gronk as we know him early on).  I'll believe it when I see it, that he won't be on the field until Week 4. 

Re:  Hernandez, it's impossible to tell how something like this affects a team until they take the field; that being said, I think Beez (not surprisingly) already has NE penciled in for losses against the Bills and the Jets.  LIke I said, I have no idea how Hernandez's situation (I don't know what else to call it yet) will affect the on-field product, but I can't say that I'm going to pick against Brady w/regards to two teams that each went 6-10 last season, and are loaded with question marks this season. 

#30 FOREVER!

#73 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

not to mentio that even if the pats do struggle buff and miami are much improved teams. even if the pats suck its not like the jets r just going to run away with the division.

#74 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

not to mentio that even if the pats do struggle buff and miami are much improved teams. even if the pats suck its not like the jets r just going to run away with the division.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for as a Jet fan!! --and why Francesa said it in the first place.

Going into the season, prior to the Patriots losing the players that they've lost on offense, winning the division wasn't even a thought. Because it would take 12-13 wins to do that. Now follow me.. if the Jets were a good football team, with NE being even slightly better, but say the Bills & Fish both sucked.. winning the division would STILL not be a thought for me. Because the Pats play those teams too. And even if the Jets won 4 of their divisional games, the Pats would win 5.. thus, you'd have 2 teams fighting for the AFC East, and one team would win it with 10-11 wins. However, if every team in the division is on somewhat of an equal level, it increases the chance of winning the AFC East with an 8-8.. 9-7 record. I'm hoping the Bills can split against New England.. or that Miami can sweep New England, because it creates parody. When Seattle won the division in 2010 with a 7-9 record, they won because of parody. The same can be said of Tim Tebow's Broncos two years ago.
As a fan obviously I want to see my team make the playoffs. If the Pats are mortal this year, the easier path to the post-season may be through the division, as opposed to the wildcard.

Edited by Beezer34, 21 June 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#75 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Patriots just released Aaron Hernandez. 

#76 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,262 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

Patriots just released Aaron Hernandez. 

Probably tells you all you need to know.  No waiting around for more to come to light, to see what the evidence against him is...I don't think the Pats do this unless they have really solid inside info that this guy is in major trouble. 

#30 FOREVER!

#77 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Probably tells you all you need to know.  No waiting around for more to come to light, to see what the evidence against him is...I don't think the Pats do this unless they have really solid inside info that this guy is in major trouble. 

Yea I agree. Guys don't get released this quickly unless its something super serious. Have to think he's getting charged with murder or accessory or something of that nature. Even there though, Lewis was charged with murder and didn't get released. Same goes w/ other idiots like the Cowboys' Josh Brent. He didn't get released either. 

Edited by ghdi, 26 June 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#78 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Murder was the case that they gave him. Hernandez is done.

#79 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,262 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

Murder was the case that they gave him. Hernandez is done.

Almost definitely, but you can never say never in this day and age...just ask OJ and Ray "What happened to my white suit?" Lewis. 

#30 FOREVER!

#80 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Almost definitely, but you can never say never in this day and age...just ask OJ and Ray "What happened to my white suit?" Lewis. 

Sure, definitely, but another historical reference is Rae Carruth.

Sounds like the prosecutor here has tons of evidence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users