703 replies to this topic

#561 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Down goes Sherman. How often does the coordinator change, but keep the coach, actually work? Usually, the coach isn't far behind. 

What I'm reading is that it was sort of like a Muchak situation in which Philbin was told he could stay if he agreed to Sherman being fired.  Evidently, Philbin, like a lot of head coaches has control over his coordinators. 

Like I've said, I think Sherman is the scape goat.  You could argue with a few play calls here and there, but ultimately, it isn't his fault that they got shut out against Buffalo and that Tannehill put up a horrendous performance against the Jets in the last game. 

This coming year, it's really put up or shut up for Tannehill. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#562 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

What I'm reading is that it was sort of like a Muchak situation in which Philbin was told he could stay if he agreed to Sherman being fired.  Evidently, Philbin, like a lot of head coaches has control over his coordinators. 

Like I've said, I think Sherman is the scape goat.  You could argue with a few play calls here and there, but ultimately, it isn't his fault that they got shut out against Buffalo and that Tannehill put up a horrendous performance against the Jets in the last game. 

This coming year, it's really put up or shut up for Tannehill. 

I agree that he is the scape goat. It's tough to fire a coach after two years, unless your team completely goes backwards in the second year (Tampa says hello), but this feels a little different. Philbin's an offense guy. He was the coordinator for one of the best offenses for 5 seasons. He has a huge say in the offense and game planning. He picked his players too. This is more his failure than Sherman's.

Edited by devilsrule33, 06 January 2014 - 02:18 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#563 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Sherman was a fvcking joke, his play-calling sucked. He deserved to be fired. Unfortunately, I've heard nothing about dickbag Ireland, so it looks like we're stuck with him fvcking up another draft. Great.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#564 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

Apparently Ben McAdoo, former Packers QB Coach, is next in line for the job or has an inside track therein.  Not sure how I feel about this.

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#565 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,685 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

How the offensive line coach who did an awful job and missed the Martin fiasco under his nose....is beyond me.....

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#566 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Oh don't worry Crash, he's next. The Miami Herald reported earlier the 'shake-up' 'aint over yet and Jim Turner is expected to be next (Turner is also a blood relative of Sherman's, so I don't think he's long for the organization).

#567 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Sherman was a fvcking joke, his play-calling sucked. He deserved to be fired. Unfortunately, I've heard nothing about dickbag Ireland, so it looks like we're stuck with him fvcking up another draft. Great.

I don't really see what firing Ireland would accomplish in the short term. 

In any event, if you think Tannehill is a franchise QB, I don't see how you can be calling for Ireland's head.  It was essentially Ireland's decision to draft him.  Obviously the Wheeler signing looks like a huge dud, but the defense was not the Dolphins problem this year.  In virtually every game, save the Saints game, they did enough to help the team win.  (People are quickly forgetting how much of a homerun the Grimes signing was.)

The one thing I really fault Ireland for was buying high, and selling real low on Marshall, who would have been a perfect receiver for Tannehill.  I also still wish he drafted Dez Bryant when he had the opportunity, but that could have just as well had turned into a disaster.  Yeah, you can fault him for passing on guys like Jimmy Graham and Russell Wilson, but lots of other GMs did.  Then there's the O-line, but of course it wasn't that long ago that everyone was packing Jake Long's bags for him. 

How the offensive line coach who did an awful job and missed the Martin fiasco under his nose....is beyond me.....

I don't blame him for the "Martin fiasco" because the whole thing was basically made up by Martin himself.  It's not the O-line coach's fault that Martin turned out to be a lying sociopath. 

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#568 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

It's tough to know how much blame to put on the GM or the new head coach. Coaches are brought in and given a ton of power. Philbin deserves some blame for the loss of the vets (Marshall, Bush, and Dansby). 

I hope they canned everyone on the staff that came from A&M including the QB coach.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#569 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Down goes Sherman. How often does the coordinator change, but keep the coach, actually work? Usually, the coach isn't far behind. 

Well Rex has gotten to try it twice.  Going from Sparano to Morninghweg is going a lot better than going from Schotty to Sparano did lol.  Harbaugh also canned his o-coordinator DURING the season last year and won a Super Bowl.  That's the biggest example I can remember offhand of it working.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#570 estreetcrew3

estreetcrew3

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

You can't deny that tannehill has improved in his 2nd season dan. Td-int ratio alone is better. Yes he had a terrible last two games, which he should of pass for over 4,000, and the only dolphin to ever do so was marino.
Posted Image Section 209 at the Rock
Estreet crew Blog ------> http://estreetskate.blogspot.com/

#571 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

You can't deny that tannehill has improved in his 2nd season dan. Td-int ratio alone is better. Yes he had a terrible last two games, which he should of pass for over 4,000, and the only dolphin to ever do so was marino.

4,000 yards is the new 3,000 yards. And saying Tannehill is an improvement over every other QB other than Marino is like being the valedictorian of summer school.

Yeah, he improved, at least statistically, but the offense was close to dead last in points and yards. The whole is much less than the sum of its parts.

Like I said, next year there are no more excuses. You can't blame his coordinator, or lack of experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image

#572 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

4,000 yards doesn't mean anything. But it isn't an easy task only eight had over 4,000 this year and half weren't in the playoffs. So what if you make 4,000. Dalton, big Ben, palmer, Ryan and Stafford l go for 4,000 and it gets them no where it's an inflated stat. Specially for someone like dalton,Stafford and Ryan. The yards haven't gotten them anywhere to date. Luck threw under 4,000 this year, but he's a mobile, and a come back master as well. The TDs are the stat that matters. Palmer threw for over 400 passing on San Francisco, but they didn't rest in TDs so it was useless and an inflated stat if you look at the sheet. And Tannehill seems to be the least if Miami's issue right now.

If there is any typos my apologies I rush my posts threw my smartphone at work.

Edited by CarterforPresident, 06 January 2014 - 09:11 PM.

#573 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:02 AM

QB stats have really gotten silly.  The single season TD record isn't really a big deal...at least, not like it was when Marino did it (when his 48 and 44 TD seasons were off-the-charts).  Look at the three highest totals since Marino's 48.  Peyton's always been a bit of a stat-whore (he'll throw for 2 and 3 yard TDs in obvious running situations...he was especially guilty of that during his 49 TD-season with the Colts), and Brady's 50-TD performance was a result of shameless running-it-up in games that had often been decided by the third quarter, if not halftime.  Denver's 2013 D was at least bad enough that the offense needed to put up a lot of points in their games (though they had a little of the '07 Patriot run-it-up in them)...the 2007 Pats did not.    

I think everyone's brains are still trying to re-train themselves, as far as how to read QB numbers in this new, inflated-scoring era.  It's actually pretty hard to put up truly awful numbers anymore...almost every QBs' numbers look at least respectable at first glance, if you're thinking 80s-90s-even early 2000s criteria for what constitutes a "good" season.  (This makes Manning's and Flacco's years look even worse). 

And yeah, re: 4000 being the new 3000...it seems like the better QBs who don't throw for 4000+ these days can run it as well, which obviously stops them from putting up 4000+.  But I remember when 4000 yards was the mark of a prolific passing offense.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 January 2014 - 08:03 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#574 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Maddog got his wish. Ireland's gone.

I'm pretty surprised about this. I really thought he'd get one more year.

Posted Image

#575 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

Just got the update to. Ireland's out.

#576 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

Thank God. Good riddance to the dick hole that is Jeff Ireland. Now for who should replace this fvcking dipsh!t. Piloli is the first name to mind for me.

Maddog got his wish. Ireland's gone.

I'm pretty surprised about this. I really thought he'd get one more year.

I was on my way to the game when I heard the news. I almost drove off the road I was so happy lol.

#577 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Thank God. Good riddance to the dick hole that is Jeff Ireland. Now for who should replace this fvcking dipsh!t. Piloli is the first name to mind for me.

I was on my way to the game when I heard the news. I almost drove off the road I was so happy lol.

Like I say, for someone who thinks Tannehill was such a homerun, I'm surprised you're so thrilled about this.

Posted Image

#578 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Like I say, for someone who thinks Tannehill was such a homerun, I'm surprised you're so thrilled about this.

Tannehill, as much as I like him, doesn't make up for the other 5 years of sh!tty pick and signing after sh!tty pick and signing.

#579 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

Tannehill, as much as I like him, doesn't make up for the other 5 years of sh!tty pick and signing after sh!tty pick and signing.

Just funny that everyone was singing a different tune this offseason.

In the end, I'd give Ireland a meh rating.

Posted Image

#580 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

More holes in Jonathan Martin's "bullying" accusations.  (Warning NSFW)

http://www.tmz.com/2...phins-tootsies/

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users