703 replies to this topic

#661 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

I would argue my OL is worse than yours. I have no idea how Castillo still has a job

Statistically, I think ours was worse if you go on sacks and rushing yards. Although the sacks are probably just as much a product of Tannehill being unable to be elusive in the pocket or feel the pressure. The O-line improved somewhat towards the end of the year. Bullying or no bullying Martin was just terrible.

But you're right, I really have no idea what the offensive line coach really does other than yell "block better", and if the fault lies on Turner at all. But as Maddog pointed out, they already brought in a new guy that shouldn't really be an "assistant". And if Turner had any say in evaluating draft talent, he's done a pretty bad job at that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#662 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

Now the long time trainer has been fired. He was mentioned in the Wells report about laughing at a racial joke and not saying anything, so I assume that's the reason why. Turner still employed, but the trainer fired? The organization's response has been downright bizarre. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel, 19 February 2014 - 07:30 PM.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#663 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

O'Neill didn't cooperate with the investigation and laughed along with the other idiots, no surprise he's gone.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#664 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

O'Neill didn't cooperate with the investigation and laughed along with the other idiots, no surprise he's gone.

The guy laughed at a joke and wouldn't cooperate with a witchhunt commenced by politically correct half-wits. At least the second part would cause me to keep him. But what do I know, I've never had the opportunity to seriously screw up an NFL franchise.

Posted Image

#665 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Well, Turner fired, so you can close the book on that one.

Posted Image

#666 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Maybe they'll fire Philbin to. They need to really.

#667 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

'Bout time on Turner. Adios amigo.

#668 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

Both Turner and Oneill have been dismissed. Per ESPN.

edit well beaten to the punch but one step closer to being done with all of this.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!, 19 February 2014 - 09:56 PM.

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#669 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

Philbin going to speak tomorrow. The gotcha questions are going to nauseating. You're already starting to hear these d-bag reporters claim they have some all important right to put a football coach in the star chamber.

Ugh, this whole thing is going to make the hot stove so unenjoyable. I just want to be entertained by the draft and free agency, but all we're going to hear are self righteous media types talk about teachable moments and other such nonsense.

The only thing that will make this any worse if Martin is back with the team. At that point you know Ross isn't serious about winning football games. I'll also remember it when I start complaining if Lou gives Gionta a loyalty contract.

Posted Image

#670 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

Some people clearly miffed by the O'Neill firing, one of whom is Jimmy Johnson.

http://profootballta...f-kevin-oneill/

Miko Grimes was her usually colorful self:

Miko Grimes @iHeartMiko 11h

#Overheard: "An 18yr career with the Dolphins, down the drain. Why? Bc some dude didnt want anyone to know he had a pants."

I've read that O'Neill was considered one of, if not the most respected trainers in the league amongst his peers.  The lawyers win again.

EDIT:  Autocorrect cleaned up Miko's tweet, but hopefully you'll get the idea

Edited by Daniel, 20 February 2014 - 09:04 AM.

Posted Image

#671 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

http://www.miamidolp...3d-ecd15bc70753

The language and behavior as described in the Ted Wells report are against the core values of our organization. After receiving the report, I conducted my own internal review of the facts to determine the appropriate steps for our organization moving forward. Jim Turner and Kevin O'Neill are good people, but both exhibited poor judgment at times which led me to this conclusion. As owner, I know firsthand of the high-character and dedicated professionals in our building. I believe in our team and know the hard work and sacrifices they make every day on the field and in the community. However, this is an opportunity and a teaching moment not only for the coaches, staff and players in our locker room, but also for participants throughout sports. I am in constant contact with Jonathan Martin, and we plan to meet soon. Next week, I will provide further details of our partnership with the NYU School of Law and the NYU Center for Sports and Society regarding a broader effort to address conduct in sports. My commitment to our fans, coaches, players and staff is that we will be a stronger organization going forward.”  -- Stephen Ross.

..first domino(s) have fallen. Next up: Pouncey. Stay tuned.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#672 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Can't provide the links, but apparently O'Neill did express some concerns to upper management, although not Philbin, about what he noticed.  He also told Wells that he did not want answer questions because he didn't want to lose the trust of other players, and that trust is absolutely necessary for a trainer to do his job.  There are also reports that when he was fired -- I think Dawn Aponte was the one that broke the news to him -- he was asked if he had anything to say, to which his response was "you'll be hearing from my lawyers" or something to that effect.  Yes, it's hearsay, but so is virtually everything about this case.

The more and more I read about this, the more disgusted I am getting with Ross and Aponte.  I understand that they had to do damage control when it first broke, and I have no problem with them cutting ties with Incognito, and even letting him be the fall guy, because he largely deserves it.  But in the end, and what no one is even disputing, including the Wells report, is that Martin was uniquely sensitive by NFL standards.  Yes, what Incognito did would intimidate a lot of people in virtually every other work environment, but an NFL locker room is not the same.  And unfortunately, it looks very much like Ross is going to take the advice of people that are saying that it is.  I am extremely worried that the players will believe that Ross will do anything to save his own ass in polite society and will throw them under the bus if necessary.  It's much more plausible than other players -- especially free agent veterans that can choose where they get to play -- will be more afraid of that than being "bullied" by anyone. 

Just think about it.  A trainer that had been with the team for 18 years that every other player liked and was highly respected around the league was unceremoniously fired, because the team's owner did not back him up against claims that he laughed at a racial joke (which is nothing worse than you used to hear and laugh at on Howard Stern every day) and that he didn't want to talk in great detail with some grand inquisitor because he didn't want to lose the trust of the players (or, you could say, patients).  If I'm a player, I'm thinking the second I get accused of something, upper management will not have my back. 

And if Martin comes back, it won't be the "final straw", but I will have very little interest in watching Dolphins games anymore until they actually prove they can win consistently.  Woody Johnson gets a lot of crap from fans and media types, but, at bottom, the most important thing to him putting a winning team on the field, even if perhaps he's not that good at it.  Ross is starting to look like he's more concerned with irrelevancies such as team culture and political correctness.  That makes for a bland company that sells widgets, not a football team.

Posted Image

#673 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

Stephen Ross is a disgrace as an NFL owner. A disgrace. I want to put his teeth down his throat.

#674 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

Stephen Ross is a disgrace as an NFL owner. A disgrace. I want to put his teeth down his throat.

Yes, but not a disgrace for the reason that the talking heads are saying. 

I just want to add though, that I'll ultimately take a wait and see attitude with how everything turns out.  If the team otherwise weathers the storm, politely cuts ties with Martin, and looks like it's growing some spine, I may end up forgiving Ross for some of his past transgressions. 

Posted Image

#675 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

Yes, but not a disgrace for the reason that the talking heads are saying.

I just want to add though, that I'll ultimately take a wait and see attitude with how everything turns out. If the team otherwise weathers the storm, politely cuts ties with Martin, and looks like it's growing some spine, I may end up forgiving Ross for some of his past transgressions.

I'll begin to forgive Ross when he shows a shred of competence in his role as owner and this fvcking franchise actually starts WINNING with some semblance of regularity. And not before that.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if someone is banging Aponte. That bitch has too much power for a 'capologist'.

#676 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

I'll begin to forgive Ross when he shows a shred of competence in his role as owner and this fvcking franchise actually starts WINNING with some semblance of regularity. And not before that.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if someone is banging Aponte. That bitch has too much power for a 'capologist'.

Meh, where the owner is not making personnel decision or not being stingy with the checkbook, I generally won't blame him, or give him that much credit, for the win-loss record.  Jim Irsay is a big a clown as they get, but the Colts have been winning by being extremely lucky with sucking in the right years.  Kraft is seen as some kind of genius, but he was extremely lucky to be able to hire Belichik and that his team drafted Tom Brady.  Otherwise, he had a triple murderer on his team, and acted the blowhard with Wes Welker, so lets not pretend that he's Mr. Integrity or that he has any special insight on anything.

Before all this happened, you could really only fault Ross for handling the coaching search in an awkward way.  But he actually turned out to be right to have tried to do everything he could to land Jim Harbaugh, and it wasn't completely out of line to not put Jeff Fischer in control of the entire franchise. 

Posted Image

#677 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

Here's a snippet of the O'Neill's version of events.  (Was behind Sun Sentinel's paywall).

When Miami Dolphins offensive linemen Richie Incognito, Mike Pouncey and John Jerry threw racial taunts at the team's assistant trainer last season, head trainer Kevin O'Neill did not stand idly by, as NFL investigator Ted Wells released in his report on the Miami Dolphins' locker room culture last Friday.

Nor, according to a source, did O'Neill, "allegedly [laugh] at some of the racial insults," as the report said, a claim even Wells seemed unsure of as the murky word, "allegedly" suggests.

O'Neill, the source says, did not hear any taunts. But when word of them reached him, O'Neill pulled Japanese-born assistant trainer, Naohisa Inoue, into his office, closed the door and talked directly to him.

"How do you want to handle this?" O'Neill asked Inoue. "Do you want to handle this yourself? Or do you want me to intervene?"

Inoue said he would take care of it. The next time Incognito started in on a racial taunt, Inoue told him to shut up using two expletives.

Incognito immediately apologized to Inoue, the source says. Incognito explained to the assistant trainer he didn't understand he had crossed the line between a locker-room joke and a racial taunt.

This wasn't in the Wells Report.

http://www.sun-senti...,1638297.column

EDIT:  This is the best part.

Before meeting with Wells, the source said, O'Neill had asked Aponte if he needed a lawyer. Aponte, a lawyer, said he didn't. When he was fired on Wednesday, O'Neill was silent. Aponte asked if he had any questions.

"Talk to my lawyer," he said.

This story isn't over. Nor, it seems, is the ugliness.

Good lord is Aponte an absolute snake.

Edited by Daniel, 21 February 2014 - 12:14 PM.

Posted Image

#678 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

I'd NEVER take Martin on my team personally....mental toughness is part of the game as well, he's proven he can't handle it....if he can't take crap from his teammates I can only imagine what that outside edge rusher is gonna say to him as he eats him alive and gets in the QB's face time and time again...it's a shame Goodell is such a lawyer and PR obsesser like he is, it's another witch hunt on his watch, just like the bounty disaster was.....

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#679 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

I'd NEVER take Martin on my team personally....mental toughness is part of the game as well, he's proven he can't handle it....if he can't take crap from his teammates I can only imagine what that outside edge rusher is gonna say to him as he eats him alive and gets in the QB's face time and time again...it's a shame Goodell is such a lawyer and PR obsesser like he is, it's another witch hunt on his watch, just like the bounty disaster was.....

Yup, but the Saints owner handled it very well.  He backed up his guys, and left it to Goodell to impose the punishment.  Ross and Medusa went out looking for some fall guys.  Hopefully one he picks turns out to be one of those people you shouldn't fvck with. 

Posted Image

#680 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Aponte is a reprehensible human being, that much is and has been clear to me. If I worked with her and knew which car she drove, I'd slash her tires.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users