71 replies to this topic

#41 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

As fans we would all love to get a Corey Perry. But as fans let's honestly try to imagine Lou making that type of signing.

Agreed. When thinking about what he brings to a team he really is what the devils need after losing Zach, but this is such a pipe dream. I feel like these types of players would only come to NJ if they had played here for a bit to see how nice it actually is, similar to kovy. Also I don't see Lou paying an outside player more than a current devil who has paid their dues with the club.

#42 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

really ? lol tell me you never screamed at your tv for clarkson to pass the puck to an open man instead of trying to hold on to it until he can get a shot? or some selfish penalties he took that comes to mind

My bad, you clearly demonstrated that he is selfish, and incredibly selfish at that.

#43 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

Of course it's chere so you can't really take much from it, and of course some will look way too much into it. 

http://www.nj.com/de...arkson_con.html

www.SterioDesign.com

#44 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

I would leverage his recent funk and sign him now if I were Lou.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#45 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

at this point we simply can't afford to lose Clarkson we have absolutely nothing coming our way other than Boucher and its up in the air if he'll translate to pros.

And for free agents we're not as attractive as we we're in the past either.

www.SterioDesign.com

#46 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Agreed. When thinking about what he brings to a team he really is what the devils need after losing Zach, but this is such a pipe dream. I feel like these types of players would only come to NJ if they had played here for a bit to see how nice it actually is, similar to kovy. Also I don't see Lou paying an outside player more than a current devil who has paid their dues with the club.

I don't think it's a total pipe dream. I think Lou knows if Clarky puts up 20-25 goals this year, which is still possible, people will be all over him and wanting to drop $5+M and I guarantee you that Lou knows Clarky's real skill level and value and not wildly overpay. Plus, even if we resigned everyone at the same price next year, we'd have $6M in cap space. So if we know somebody isn't gonna sign, such as Clarkson, though I don't think that will be the case, it gives us room to pay someone $7M, like Perry.

#47 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

would definently hate to see clarky go i think he has shown this team what he has to offer. But at the same time im praying a deal is made with henrique and patty as well.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#48 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

I don't think it's a total pipe dream. I think Lou knows if Clarky puts up 20-25 goals this year, which is still possible, people will be all over him and wanting to drop $5+M and I guarantee you that Lou knows Clarky's real skill level and value and not wildly overpay. Plus, even if we resigned everyone at the same price next year, we'd have $6M in cap space. So if we know somebody isn't gonna sign, such as Clarkson, though I don't think that will be the case, it gives us room to pay someone $7M, like Perry.

I think we are going to have more cap space than we think this summer. I have a feelin tallinder gets traded at some point and that a-train might get bought out. Maybe not both, but I think at least 1 wud happen. Back to perry. I just don't see Lou offering anyone above 6m a season unless they have played for the team and he knows that they are compatible.

#49 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

well if we "really" need more cap space it's absolutely not impossible to buy out Volchenkov next summer, he can be useful yes, but he's never been and will never be "4.2m helpful" especially not for another 3 years

www.SterioDesign.com

#50 crashline

crashline

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

OK, but this was a terrible deal lol.  We can't compare what the Devils should offer Clarkson to some other team who signed a horrible contract.  No way I see Clarkson leaving.  Yeah it's just an opinion, but that's all we can go off of for now.

If someone like Ville Leino can get what he got, there's no reason Clarkson can't get $5m, being the rare commodity that he is (even if he can't skate). I'd probably pay up to $5m but no more than that and that's just bc that's probably the only chance to keep him

Posted Image

#51 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

My bad, you clearly demonstrated that he is selfish, and incredibly selfish at that.

I agree with you, I don't think Clarkson is selfish. I think he just has terrible on-ice vision. Whenever he sees the open man, he makes the pass - the problem is that he usually doesn't see them. And whenever he can't find a pass, is next options are a) Shoot high, b) Shoot low, c) Shoot in a random direction/Wrap around (if behind net), or d) Toe drag.

To be fair, he has also somewhat successfully implemented the bank-off-the-boards-to-the-d-man play into his game. The problem is that he does it a little too much and teams read it easily, getting in front of the d-man before he can make a decent shot. Also, our d-men aren't particularly good shooters.

#52 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

I think we are going to have more cap space than we think this summer. I have a feelin tallinder gets traded at some point and that a-train might get bought out. Maybe not both, but I think at least 1 wud happen. Back to perry. I just don't see Lou offering anyone above 6m a season unless they have played for the team and he knows that they are compatible.

I would assume so, but we can all dream, right? My point was more that even if we resign EVERYONE and the pay decreases to Elias and Zubs only just negate the increases to Henrique and Clarky, we'll still have a decent amount of cap space. I seriously doubt Tallinder is here the day after the trade deadline. Volch, we might keep him around, but he's definitely the best candidate for our amnesty buyout, so we may drop $7.5M in cap space right there, giving us a minimum of about $10-11M in cap space. If we signed only one player, we could make a splash, though I doubt that we do.

#53 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

OK, but this was a terrible deal lol.  We can't compare what the Devils should offer Clarkson to some other team who signed a horrible contract.  No way I see Clarkson leaving.  Yeah it's just an opinion, but that's all we can go off of for now.

saddly that's the way it works, agent will use bad contracts to justify what their clients are worth. 

www.SterioDesign.com

#54 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Teams have scouts and the cap is low next year.   It's possible he could get that kind of money, but 1) he's going to have to pick it up, and 2) it might not come from a desirable place.    He's also not an A1 priority UFA, the guys that will get the money even in a dried up market.    Clarkson is the kind of guy that can come back to burn you hard if you give him too much money.

#55 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

I don't think Clarkson's coming back.  I think he's going to get paid more to play elsewhere.  Toronto wouldn't surprise me.

#56 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

I don't think Clarkson's coming back.  I think he's going to get paid more to play elsewhere.  Toronto wouldn't surprise me.

They have $47M on the books for 13 guys.  $42.5 for 12 if they buy out Komisarek.   Kadri is playing well and he has a high ELC hit.   They only have two roster d-men signed if they buy out Komisarek.    If they want to pay $5M for Clarkson, go ahead

#57 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

saddly that's the way it works, agent will use bad contracts to justify what their clients are worth. 

That's not how it works.  Comparables don't mean anything in UFA.  It's what teams are willing to pay.

Capo:  Toronto has plenty of wingers.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#58 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Toronto is one of those teams that are constantly turning things over.  Nothing surprises me with their moves.  Just like Philly and the Rangers...

#59 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

That's not how it works.  Comparables don't mean anything in UFA.  It's what teams are willing to pay.

Capo:  Toronto has plenty of wingers.

Tri.  What would you give Clarkson in your mind, if you were the Devils? 

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#60 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Toronto is one of those teams that are constantly turning things over.  Nothing surprises me with their moves.  Just like Philly and the Rangers...

They'd have $18M to spend, they would only have 2 defensemen signed with the buyout, a bunch of young guys on RFA deals, and you think they're going to spend $5M on Clarkson?

It's going to be a bound market next year, even with the buyouts.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users