71 replies to this topic

#61 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

I never said he was signing in Toronto.  I said it wouldn't surprise me.  I still do not believe he will be back.  They don't call it the Free Agent Frenzy for nothing...  Someone will give a tough guy who can score a lot of money and it won't be Lou.

#62 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

It's hard to have a frenzy when no money is there to be thrown around.   Ask Kovy, who is one of the biggest players ever to go UFA, and he managed to drum up two suitors, which were the same two suitors that were trying to trade for him.   Brian freaking Rolston had half the league trying to sign him.

Edited by maxpower, 06 March 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#63 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

That's not how it works.  Comparables don't mean anything in UFA.  It's what teams are willing to pay.

Capo:  Toronto has plenty of wingers.

thats absolutely not true, absolutely not.

www.SterioDesign.com

#64 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

I never said he was signing in Toronto.  I said it wouldn't surprise me.  I still do not believe he will be back.  They don't call it the Free Agent Frenzy for nothing...  Someone will give a tough guy who can score a lot of money and it won't be Lou.

If he does decide to walk then trade him now and let the trade partner worry about UFA.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#65 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

It's hard to have a frenzy when no money is there to be thrown around.   Ask Kovy, who is one of the biggest players ever to go UFA, and he managed to drum up two suitors, which were the same two suitors that were trying to trade for him.   Brian freaking Rolston had half the league trying to sign him.

I'm sure it's part of the reason Zajac signed like five minutes after the lockout ended.  Of course that looks smarter on his part by the day market or no market :P

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#66 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

thats absolutely not true, absolutely not.

It's an open market.  'Sorry, we won't pay you more than player X' - what are the odds that 6 teams say this?  Once a player reaches UFA, all comparables don't matter, and it's just about establishing what the market will pay and having the player sign on the dotted line.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#67 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Tri.  What would you give Clarkson in your mind, if you were the Devils? 

This is such a tough question because he's exploded this year in all respects.  The Elias-Clarkson unit is all over teams.  Clarkson takes so many bad shots so that has to add to it but still that line is getting 60% of the shots when they're on the ice.

I think I'd offer either 7 years at 3.75M or 4 years at 5M.  The 7 year deal is obviously a risk but by the time that becomes ugly, the cap should be around $80M and while I don't anticipate the Devils being a cap team in this scenario, it's at least by the time the Kovalchuk contract starts to fade.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#68 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

If he does decide to walk then trade him now and let the trade partner worry about UFA.

If the Devils continue to fall that is extremely possible.  I don't think Lou will sit and weight to see if he can sign him and there is no way he is going to sign this close to free agency.

#69 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

If the Devils continue to fall that is extremely possible.  I don't think Lou will sit and weight to see if he can sign him and there is no way he is going to sign this close to free agency.

If Perry won't sign with Anaheim we could roll the dice and package Clarkson and a prospect for him. Perry has his own set of headaches with him being a UFA, but we can also package for something else I assume.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#70 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

If Perry won't sign with Anaheim we could roll the dice and package Clarkson and a prospect for him. Perry has his own set of headaches with him being a UFA, but we can also package for something else I assume.

The Devils should trade him for Adam Burish, who is cost controlled at a very team friendly 1.85 million cap hit for the next 3 years.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#71 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

He signs for 5/$23M

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#72 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Didn't take long for this thread to quiet down.

Last 13 GP haven't been kind to Clarky:  13 GP, 0 G, 2 A, -7.  He's averaging 2.69 Shots Per Game over that stretch.  (He was at 4.28 before this tail-off).  If he never picks it back up, it'll be interesting to see if the Devils make an offer, and what that offer might be.  I think people at the very least are trying to figure out who the real Clarkson is.     

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users