30 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,552 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

it's not cause you're pinning the puck and keeping it in your skate against the boards and go back and forth behind the red line in the offensive zone that you're necessarily dominating a hockey game.

especially when all you rely on is point shots and that the dmen can't hit the net

Your opponent isn't getting shots or scoring chances this way.  And you are, and even if you aren't getting many, they're not getting any.  

Anyway Chuck said they don't possess the puck in the offensive zone which is an absurdity - the Devils have had the puck all the time in the offensive zone in the last 3 games.

Edited by Triumph, 06 March 2013 - 10:23 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Your opponent isn't getting shots or scoring chances this way.  And you are, and even if you aren't getting many, they're not getting any.  

Anyway Chuck said they don't possess the puck in the offensive zone which is an absurdity - the Devils have had the puck all the time in the offensive zone in the last 3 games.

imo it's part of the problem actually cause like we saw last night and quite a few times... yes we have the puck against the boards in the offensive zone and we have our 3 guys behind the red line and the opposing dman gets the puck out and they have the easiest breakout ever. our 3 forwards behind... technically our 3 guys will be facing the boards and turning around... in front of them the dmen leaving with the puck plus another forward and the 2 forwards already gaining speed at the blueline, and they are beating our dmen with speed.

i can seriously remember quite a few goals that happened because of that, lose a battle behind the red line... flawless breakout with all the space in the world and score off the rush.

www.SterioDesign.com

#23 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

imo it's part of the problem actually cause like we saw last night and quite a few times... yes we have the puck against the boards in the offensive zone and we have our 3 guys behind the red line and the opposing dman gets the puck out and they have the easiest breakout ever. our 3 forwards behind... technically our 3 guys will be facing the boards and turning around... in front of them the dmen leaving with the puck plus another forward and the 2 forwards already gaining speed at the blueline, and they are beating our dmen with speed.

i can seriously remember quite a few goals that happened because of that, lose a battle behind the red line... flawless breakout with all the space in the world and score off the rush.

I pointed out the only shots we generate are from the blue line with this system right now. But also, the problem is the puck is just making its way off the boards right into the other teams stick we aren't getting the puck out into the slot or off to the side of the net for anyone to take a shot. I don't know if this is an issue of lossing battles on the wall, bad bounces or people not being in the right spot. But that's what I've notcied. We either shoot from the blue or the board work results in the puck feeding to the opposition for a break out.

Edited by Sneax, 06 March 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#24 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

I pointed out the only shots we generate are from the blue line with this system right now. But also, the problem is the puck is just making its way off the boards right into the other teams stick we aren't getting the puck out into the slot or off to the side of the net for anyone to take a shot. I don't know if this is an issue of lossing battles on the wall, bad bounces or people not being in the right spot. But that's what I've notcied. We either shoot from the blue or the board work results in the puck feeding to the opposition for a break out.

I've been pointing that out for awhile but lately or late in game when they are trailing you see the guys going on a mission and trying stuff on their own trying to create stuffand quite often those are the best opportunities of the game. It's pretty clear to me that they are restrained to make the same play all the time and when they are in desperation mode they'll go out of that path.

like i pointed out too, a reason Clarkson is/was successful is that he's OFTEN not doing what he's told to do and do things his way.

Edited by SterioDesign, 06 March 2013 - 10:44 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#25 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Can we have an autocorrect ala Єklund (2.3% accurate)  so Kincaid becomes Kinkaid... always?

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#26 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

What scares me about Moose playing Thursday is that they announced it right away.  If Marty was close to coming back they could have waited until gameday or at least today.  I really hope that it is not that serious.

Posted Image

#27 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Really?  They have 1 line that cycles the puck well, 1 line that can't get out of their zone, and 2 lines that dump and don't chase or carry in and lose it as they try to drive wide.  They've had maybe 3 periods over the last 5 games where they controlled the flow of the play, and a handful where you could call in even.  The puck never left their zone in the 3rd against Toronto, or the 2nd against Tampa.  The puck possession was awesome in the 5-1 loss to the Isles in what seems like 3 decades ago.  The cycle in the corner then board pass to the point for a shot into the opponents shin pads that leads to 2 on 1's the other way is not great puck possession in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, Moose has been bad during this stretch.  However, it's not entirely on the goalies when they are giving up odd man rushes and leaving people wide open in the slot for 1 timers constantly. 

Posted Image

#28 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Can we have an autocorrect ala Єklund (2.3% accurate)  so Kincaid becomes Kinkaid... always?

i have a hard time with it personally i've been used to "Kincaid" from Nightmare on elm street part 3 & 4

www.SterioDesign.com

#29 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,552 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Really?  They have 1 line that cycles the puck well, 1 line that can't get out of their zone, and 2 lines that dump and don't chase or carry in and lose it as they try to drive wide.  They've had maybe 3 periods over the last 5 games where they controlled the flow of the play, and a handful where you could call in even.  The puck never left their zone in the 3rd against Toronto, or the 2nd against Tampa.  The puck possession was awesome in the 5-1 loss to the Isles in what seems like 3 decades ago.  The cycle in the corner then board pass to the point for a shot into the opponents shin pads that leads to 2 on 1's the other way is not great puck possession in my eyes.

Again, that's insane.  They were all over Tampa in the first period of last night's game.  And the puck definitely left the zone plenty of times in the 3rd against Toronto although that was not a great period, certainly.  You said they had no puck possession now you're saying they're doing the wrong kind of cycling.  That's how puck possession works - if you have it, they don't.  I agree with Sterio that something needs to be done to control the opponent's breakout, but for long stretches of games the Devils have played their game to a T.  And not just when they fall behind, either.

The working in the corners hasn't drawn as many penalties as I'm sure they would like (that's the real cherry on top when it comes to having a strong forecheck), but this is how they beat up on the Flyers.

#30 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Again, that's insane.  They were all over Tampa in the first period of last night's game.  And the puck definitely left the zone plenty of times in the 3rd against Toronto although that was not a great period, certainly.  You said they had no puck possession now you're saying they're doing the wrong kind of cycling.  That's how puck possession works - if you have it, they don't.  I agree with Sterio that something needs to be done to control the opponent's breakout, but for long stretches of games the Devils have played their game to a T.  And not just when they fall behind, either.

The working in the corners hasn't drawn as many penalties as I'm sure they would like (that's the real cherry on top when it comes to having a strong forecheck), but this is how they beat up on the Flyers.

like i said... somewhere... they rely way too much on a play that has very low chance of succeeding and our whole offensive approach is oriented on "that play". It's being pointed out by a few now.

our goal is to get behind the red line and then get the puck to the dman for a point shot. Our guys are often not in position to deflect or screen AND we don't have dmen with good shots.

so we're putting almost all our efforts on a play that has so little chance to work all game long. We'll score off of it once in awhile but thats one of the reason why our top guys are not producing, they have to get out of that path to score often

www.SterioDesign.com

#31 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,552 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

like i said... somewhere... they rely way too much on a play that has very low chance of succeeding and our whole offensive approach is oriented on "that play". It's being pointed out by a few now.

our goal is to get behind the red line and then get the puck to the dman for a point shot. Our guys are often not in position to deflect or screen AND we don't have dmen with good shots.

so we're putting almost all our efforts on a play that has so little chance to work all game long. We'll score off of it once in awhile but thats one of the reason why our top guys are not producing, they have to get out of that path to score often

That's not the goal.  The goal is getting the puck to open players - if that takes going to the point man, so be it.  You make it sound like it is super easy to get chances in the slot in this league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users