46 replies to this topic

#21 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Oh, I totally agree. I'm a huge Moose fan, but there's no doubt that he is in a big slump right now. He's not the sole cause of this losing streak, but he's not the solution either. If I was Deboer, I would have started Kinkaid on Thursday to shake things up.

However, given that he already pegged Hedberg as the starter....it doesn't matter who is backing up.

True.  While it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, most people here (myself included) believe that Moose needs to sit on Thursday and are probably more upset about Moose getting the nod than they are about Kinkaid going down.  Plus, the kid came in last night and gave no reason to be sent down. 

I just don't get why they did this now.  Frazee had better numbers a week ago too, but Kinkaid got the call.  Nothing has changed since then so it seems to reason that Kinky should either still be here, or Frazee should have been called up from the beiginning.

Posted Image

#22 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,708 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

and mcelroy proved to be as shakey as KinKaid. his second start was BRUTAL. Marty where are you!

Only cause the freaking line didn't play for him. Pete might be worried our team won't play for Kinkaid either.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 06 March 2013 - 11:57 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#23 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Even so...why are people panicking about what third-string goalie is on the roster? Moose is going to play Thursday, and the team can figure out the plan for this weekend from there.

Kinkaid is younger than Frazee, so at this point he's a more realistic NHL prospect than Frazee, but don't forget that Frazee was once a highly regarded prospect, too. It doesn't make a difference which one of them is backing up.

Look at their numbers this year in Albany:

Frazee 2.33 GAA .920 save percentage
Kinkaid 2.69 GAA .905 save percentage

As others noted, I wouldn't say panic, just confusion. Given that they brought Kinkaid up, I would have thought it would been a good gesture on the Devils part to give him the full start over someone else. He's been here for 4 or 5 games, gets in for 25 minutes, plays "decent" and then gets sent down? I'm sure he's going to have trouble understanding that for a seemingly meaningless switch.

#24 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

As others noted, I wouldn't say panic, just confusion. Given that they brought Kinkaid up, I would have thought it would been a good gesture on the Devils part to give him the full start over someone else. He's been here for 4 or 5 games, gets in for 25 minutes, plays "decent" and then gets sent down? I'm sure he's going to have trouble understanding that for a seemingly meaningless switch.

Kinkaid said himself that he wasn't expecting any NHL minutes this year and that getting in last night was ahead of what he expected at his age. I don't think he's going to have problems understanding. He seems to understand his place and he'll probably use the experience in Albany.

As for Frazee, I've always liked him, but I'm pretty sure his chance is up. The call up may be a reward for how well he's played this year, including the last few days while kinkaid was in jersey.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#25 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Moose is the new Weekes

Devils.

#26 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Moose is the new Weekes

He's retiring and becoming a TSN analyst?

#27 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,328 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

I think they probably want to give Kincaid playing time.  If Hedberg sh!ts the bed again, my guess is that Kincaid gets called up to start the next game.

I definitely think it's to get Kinkaid playing time - Albany has a 3 in 3 this weekend. I think this also has to do with rewarding Frazee. OT: Looking forward to Wedgewood getting his first AHL action this weekend.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#28 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

remember that time that kid kinkaid came in, and stopped steve stamkos on a break away. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Edited by Sneax, 06 March 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#29 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

per TG 

Lamoriello said he hates the word assume, but "you can probably assume" Brodeur is out through at least the weekend (3 more games)

sigh...

www.SterioDesign.com

#30 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

this makes seriously NO SENSE

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#31 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

It does make sense. Kinkaid/Frazee are just the backups anyway. Bringing up Frazee gets him a few games of an NHL pay check, which is a great reward for a guy who has been in our minor league system for many years AND it gets Kinkaid some real playing time. Win-Win. 

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#32 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

It does make sense. Kinkaid/Frazee are just the backups anyway. Bringing up Frazee gets him a few games of an NHL pay check, which is a great reward for a guy who has been in our minor league system for many years AND it gets Kinkaid some real playing time. Win-Win. 

then why bring up Kinkaid in the first place?? to get him NHL reps?? well nice you got him like a period and a half of experience,now on to the next??

makes NO sense

#33 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

then why bring up Kinkaid in the first place?? to get him NHL reps?? well nice you got him like a period and a half of experience,now on to the next??

makes NO sense

To get Kinkaid some NHL paychecks as well. The difference in salary is very large. A few NHL games is a big pay bonus to these guys and spreading it around is a useful way to boost moral up and down the organization. In my mind these are inconsequential moves on the ice, but off the ice they make sense. 

It'd be a different story if Frazee was starting Thursday..Then i'd be a confused as to why the start didn't go to Kinkaid. 

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#34 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Since Hedberg is starting... I wouldn't read too much into this. They likely want playing time for Kinkaid. As Gillutti pointed out today he's played about 26 minutes in two weeks. Frazee has basically won the Albany Devils their last 3 wins so he deserves the paycheck as someone mentioned and perhaps his own debuts in the NHL.

Posted Image

#35 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

i cant believe we're saying that kinkaid and frazee are playing because we're rewarding them with nhl paychecks.

uh heloooo we're on a pretty rough losing streak, we better not be worrying about ahl players getting bonuses.  like when the fvck has that ever been a real factor?  

If Lou is honestly doing that, his head is in the wrong place and he isn't focusing where he should be.  crazy

#36 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

i cant believe we're saying that kinkaid and frazee are playing because we're rewarding them with nhl paychecks.

uh heloooo we're on a pretty rough losing streak, we better not be worrying about ahl players getting bonuses.  like when the fvck has that ever been a real factor?  

If Lou is honestly doing that, his head is in the wrong place and he isn't focusing where he should be.  crazy

Somebody has to sit on the bench and be back-up. If not either of our two goalies in the AHL, then who? I think you're overreacting to this. Kinkaid and Frazee are probably the two least responsible for the rut we're in.

#37 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Moose is starting either way. Kinkaid has played 26 mins in 2 weeks. It doesn't matter who is opening the door at the end of the bench all game. They probably want Kinkaid playing this weekend in Albany so he isn't getting rusty. More than likely, he was being sent down regardless of if he played Tuesday or not.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#38 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

im not in any way blaming Kinkaid or Frazee for anything.  but cmon, with the rut that we are in now, i cant believe that we are giving goalies playing time, perhaps just so they can earn their "NHL checks" and feel better about themselves.

Am i that uncalled for?

#39 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

im not in any way blaming Kinkaid or Frazee for anything.  but cmon, with the rut that we are in now, i cant believe that we are giving goalies playing time, perhaps just so they can earn their "NHL checks" and feel better about themselves.

Am i that uncalled for?

So should we just not dress any goalies and play with an empty net the whole game? What point are you trying to make here? You're complaining about calling up a couple of goalies from the minor leagues to fill in the back-up role until Marty is healthy... why? I don't understand your point. I'll ask again, who else was going to be the back-up behind Moose while Marty was gone if not Kinkaid/Frazee or both? Are you upset because Kinkaid was called up originally and now they are rotating him with Frazee? If so, I have to ask again, why? It's not like Lou is inconveniencing the team and going out of his way to "give these guys bonuses". We need someone to dress as the back-up, it only makes sense to call up one of the guys from Albany. Now, they are getting rotated so that they get equal play time IN ALBANY. Neither are slated to get much NHL action at all, so they are really inconsequential.

#40 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

So should we just not dress any goalies and play with an empty net the whole game? What point are you trying to make here? You're complaining about calling up a couple of goalies from the minor leagues to fill in the back-up role until Marty is healthy... why? I don't understand your point. I'll ask again, who else was going to be the back-up behind Moose while Marty was gone if not Kinkaid/Frazee or both? Are you upset because Kinkaid was called up originally and now they are rotating him with Frazee? If so, I have to ask again, why? It's not like Lou is inconveniencing the team and going out of his way to "give these guys bonuses". We need someone to dress as the back-up, it only makes sense to call up one of the guys from Albany. Now, they are getting rotated so that they get equal play time IN ALBANY. Neither are slated to get much NHL action at all, so they are really inconsequential.

thats not my point.  my point was addressing the fact that you said it makes sense because, "Bringing up Frazee gets him a few games of an NHL pay check, which is a great reward for a guy." that pay check should not even be in the discussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users