#1 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,079 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

https://twitter.com/...392176876515328

According to capgeek, the 35+ rule will no longer apply to buyouts, either amnesty or regular.  This gives us anti-Salvadorians hope - before, he was anchored to our roster like a slow-moving defenseman.  He obviously won't be bought out this summer, but next summer?  Who knows!  Liberation could indeed come early.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#2 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

It's a shame so many of our veteran contracts have to end with ugly buyouts. Do other teams have this problem too or is it just us? Off the top of my head I'm thinking of guys like Pandolfo, White, Rolston, etc. Now Salvador appears to be on the same track. Why does Lou always sign old guys for more years than they can actually play?

#3 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

No doubt, it helps us with Sal now (or in a year), and also with Moose if we somehow acquire a young goalie (Bernier, Schneider, or Bishop).  But its a double edged sword as this just saved the Flyers a ton of money and cap room (Pronger), and allows teams like the Rangers to give ridiculous dollars to players like Elias in FA knowing full well that, if he goes south a year or 2 into the deal, then they will just buy him out with no ramifications. 

Posted Image

#4 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,079 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

No doubt, it helps us with Sal now (or in a year), and also with Moose if we somehow acquire a young goalie (Bernier, Schneider, or Bishop).  But its a double edged sword as this just saved the Flyers a ton of money and cap room (Pronger), and allows teams like the Rangers to give ridiculous dollars to players like Elias in FA knowing full well that, if he goes south a year or 2 into the deal, then they will just buy him out with no ramifications. 

Pronger isn't getting bought out unless the Flyers just want to save money, and even then, Pronger would have to agree to the buyout.

Amnesty buyouts are over in 2014 and the Rangers have no money.  Buyouts still count on the cap and can still be quite onerous.  The idea is that since they closed the loophole that allows teams to jam money up front into a contract, there's no need to absolutely protect against system abuse.

This also allows more trade flexibility with Salvador.  Of course, they named him captain..

Edited by Triumph, 06 March 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#5 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

So does this mean we can buyout Volch and Sal with impunity?

Because our D corps would look a lot better for the long-term looking like this:

FA signing(Lets hope it's a good one since we dropped huge salary in Volch+Sal/Tally or all 3 by this point)-Zid

Greene-Larsson
Gelinas/Urbom/best looking d prospect atm-Fayne

#6 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

it also means we can trade volch and sal to a team that just needs some cap floor help.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#7 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,099 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

It's a shame so many of our veteran contracts have to end with ugly buyouts. Do other teams have this problem too or is it just us? Off the top of my head I'm thinking of guys like Pandolfo, White, Rolston, etc. Now Salvador appears to be on the same track. Why does Lou always sign old guys for more years than they can actually play?

This happens to all teams. Except the islanders, who exist to take on these contracts in trades.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#8 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

I think it could be a factor of the speed of the game. It used to be that a slower guy could still manage, but now, if you're slow, you stick out like a sore thumb. I think some GMs have it written into their brains, with how the NHL used to be, that these guys could make it a little longer, that even though they may have lost a step, they still have the mind and stick skills to hack it. This just isn't the case anymore.

This is all pure speculation on my part, but I think it's an educated guess nonetheless.

Edited by ATLL765, 06 March 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#9 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Pronger isn't getting bought out unless the Flyers just want to save money, and even then, Pronger would have to agree to the buyout.

Amnesty buyouts are over in 2014 and the Rangers have no money.  Buyouts still count on the cap and can still be quite onerous.  The idea is that since they closed the loophole that allows teams to jam money up front into a contract, there's no need to absolutely protect against system abuse.

This also allows more trade flexibility with Salvador.  Of course, they named him captain..

I thought the 35+ rule meant that, if you shipped a player that fell into that category to the minors, he was bought out, or he retired before the contract expired, then you were still stuck with the full cap hit?  The only way out of the contract was to trade it. 

If buyouts of these contracts still count against the cap, how does that change the rule? 

I don't see why Philly wouldn't buyout Pronger.  Every team wants to save money, especially when you're talking millions of dollars.  Everyone knows his career is over and he hasn't announced it yet because the team would lose the LTIR exemption and be struck with his cap hit for the remaining years of his deal, plus he'd lose out on the money of the contract.  If they could work out a deal (which I'm sure they could do if they wanted), it's highly beneficial for Philly to do it. 

As far as the Rags are concerned, they are in cap hell in the coming years because of the cap decrease and the number of players they have to re-sign.  I was just using them as a generic example.  However, it doesn't stop another big spending team with cap room (Toronto, Detroit, etc.) from doing what I said, which is notoriously bad for the Devils considering Lou's practices/beliefs on FA. 

Posted Image

#10 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,079 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

I thought the 35+ rule meant that, if you shipped a player that fell into that category to the minors, he was bought out, or he retired before the contract expired, then you were still stuck with the full cap hit?  The only way out of the contract was to trade it. 

If buyouts of these contracts still count against the cap, how does that change the rule?

Buyouts count against the cap now only insofar as a regular buyout would count against the cap.  This means that you can get out of these contracts.  Used to be there was no way out besides injury.  You could buyout a 35+ deal, but only to save money.

I don't see why Philly wouldn't buyout Pronger.  Every team wants to save money, especially when you're talking millions of dollars.  Everyone knows his career is over and he hasn't announced it yet because the team would lose the LTIR exemption and be struck with his cap hit for the remaining years of his deal, plus he'd lose out on the money of the contract.  If they could work out a deal (which I'm sure they could do if they wanted), it's highly beneficial for Philly to do it.

Pronger might want that money - he is entitled to it.  The Flyers would never buy him out with a regular buyout, leaving dead cap space there for at least 6 years.  The Rangers convinced Drury they needed a regular buyout on his deal and he acquiesced, but that's because they would've been in big trouble if he hadn't (they would've had to buy out Redden instead).  I don't see the Flyers being in similar straits.  They left Hatcher and Rathje on their cap for ages under the old setup.  

As far as the Rags are concerned, they are in cap hell in the coming years because of the cap decrease and the number of players they have to re-sign.  I was just using them as a generic example.  However, it doesn't stop another big spending team with cap room (Toronto, Detroit, etc.) from doing what I said, which is notoriously bad for the Devils considering Lou's practices/beliefs on FA.

Lou's beliefs on FA are that age is a number and I'd be shocked if he hasn't signed the most 35+ deals in the league.  Malakhov, Mogilny, Rolston, Brodeur, Hedberg, Salvador.  That's 6.  Lou knows all about signing people for too many years.  You're endangering your cap bank if an old player like that gets hurt (because you can't buy him out since he's IR'd, so he has to sit there eating away at your potential trade deadline cap room, something which will actually matter again next year), plus you're jamming up your cap with a buyout even if you do get it.

Edited by Triumph, 06 March 2013 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users