• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Brodeur’s recovery from back injury taking longer than expected, but Devils insist no setback

http://blogs.northje...ist_no_setback/

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello insists that goaltender Martin Brodeur has not had a setback in his recovery from his back injury, but admitted that the process is longer than they expected when the 40-year-old future Hall of Famer pulled himself out of a start on Feb. 24 against Winnipeg when his back tightened up on him in warm-ups.

“It’s the back. You don’t know,” Lamoriello said this afternoon. “It’s a little longer than we thought, but has he had a setback? No, he has not had a setback. It just hasn’t come as quickly and we’re going to make sure it’s perfect.”

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#22 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Frazee will start a few games, hence while he was called up instead of keeping Kinkaid up here.  I wouldn't expect Marty back at a 100% for at least 20 to 30 days (depending on the nature of the injury).  If it's something to do with herniated discs/slipped discs etc, he could be out for the season.

#23 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Chris Terreri needs to do a mind meld with moose and teach him how to move his stick and to slide post to post again. our PO hopes are fading . so much for day to day after Toronto

#24 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if he is out awhile. Back's are tricky and his sure has taken a beating over the years. I hope for his own personal sake that it's not too bad.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#25 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

The board goes nuts with the bi-polar love-hate thing with Lou. One day he makes a trade for Loki for only a 5th and the man's a genius, unmatched in his cleverness in professional sports. Then we lose a few games and claim a guy who with or without him isn't gonna make that much of a difference and it's all, HE'S NUTS, FIRE HIM, HOW COME HE ISN'T TRYING TO CLAIM SCORING WINGERS ON WAIVERS, LOU SUCKS!!!!

Everybody, collectively get your panties out of the bunch they're in under your a$$hole and relax. Lou isn't stupid, we have a couple options. We're still in playoff race, so why in the hell would we make a panic move while everyone knows we're at a position of weakness. No, don't trade then, remember when we were .500 in December last year. Did we make trades then? No, we waited until we didn't need to make a trade, did and got better value from it.

You trade not when you need to, but when you can get a good return. That's the way Lou does it. He's not gonna waste Tallinder, a pick, a prospect, whoever if we're gonna get crap back for them because teams know we're desperate. Lou knows that missing the playoffs this season is less important than not handicapping the team for the next 3 years because it took Tallinder and a 1st to get anything of worth back.

great post. i completely agree

#26 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

The board goes nuts with the bi-polar love-hate thing with Lou. One day he makes a trade for Loki for only a 5th and the man's a genius, unmatched in his cleverness in professional sports. Then we lose a few games and claim a guy who with or without him isn't gonna make that much of a difference and it's all, HE'S NUTS, FIRE HIM, HOW COME HE ISN'T TRYING TO CLAIM SCORING WINGERS ON WAIVERS, LOU SUCKS!!!!

Everybody, collectively get your panties out of the bunch they're in under your a$$hole and relax. Lou isn't stupid, we have a couple options. We're still in playoff race, so why in the hell would we make a panic move while everyone knows we're at a position of weakness. No, don't trade then, remember when we were .500 in December last year. Did we make trades then? No, we waited until we didn't need to make a trade, did and got better value from it.

You trade not when you need to, but when you can get a good return. That's the way Lou does it. He's not gonna waste Tallinder, a pick, a prospect, whoever if we're gonna get crap back for them because teams know we're desperate. Lou knows that missing the playoffs this season is less important than not handicapping the team for the next 3 years because it took Tallinder and a 1st to get anything of worth back.

How can you be rational at a time like this???  :headless chicken:  :headless chicken:  :headless chicken:

And great post btw. Lou has never done panic moves or 'trading for the sake of trading' and he isn't going to now. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#27 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

Chris Terreri needs to do a mind meld with moose and teach him how to move his stick and to slide post to post again. our PO hopes are fading . so much for day to day after Toronto

.I mean Florida had their goalie coach suit up for a game. I don't think it's THAT far-fetched to suggest we get Terreri to come out of retirement and do the same.

Edited by TheMazz, 06 March 2013 - 11:52 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#28 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

I know they are saying Marty is day-day... But I have a pretty good source that says he has some serious back issue resulting in his hand being numb right now.

He's going to be out a while.

...and don't ask the source please and no it is NOT Zubrus... He's 100% a follower of the team rules.

Loose lips sink ships.
Posted Image

#29 Bringbackbrylin

Bringbackbrylin

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

Remind me why we are trusting your source again?

gallery_47_36_882.png of The Championship Plaza brick my ex-girlfriend got me

#30 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

.I mean Florida had their goalie coach suit up for a game. I don't think it's THAT far-fetched to suggest we get Terreri to come out of retirement and do the same.

Yes it is. Florida's dressed because the goalie got injured in warmups and they needed someone to sit on the bench until Markstrom's equipment showed up. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#31 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

How can you be rational at a time like this???  :headless chicken:  :headless chicken:  :headless chicken:

And great post btw. Lou has never done panic moves or 'trading for the sake of trading' and he isn't going to now. 

True Lou hasn't but lately he has had the bad habit of signing players to contracts for their past services as a thank you instead of signing them to what he believes how they can help the team in the future.

#32 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

His back may be hurting, but he sure looked relaxed when they showed him watching the game the other night on TV.
It's the whiskey talking.

#33 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

His back may be hurting, but he sure looked relaxed when they showed him watching the game the other night on TV.

he obviously got a kick out of the empty net try

#34 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Meds?

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#35 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Remind me why we are trusting your source again?

you don't have to

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#36 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Bring back Clemmensen.

Edit: wow did you realize he is 35 years old already?

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 07 March 2013 - 11:57 AM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#37 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

great post. i completely agree

Oh you guys, I'm so vindicated in believing how awesome I am now. Thank you for bloating my ego, mwuahahahaha.

But yeah, Lou is a guy who will not make a panic move, ever. The man knows the perceived value and real value of his players and he's not going to sell someone when their perceived value is far below their real value. Again, this a shortened season, that won't honestly mean that much. We'll be back to normal next year and we need to make sure we don't get trapped into any REALLY bad contracts with guys who had fluke years in the shortened season.

This ridiculous what have you done for me now talk is just so stupid that it hurts my brain. The man took us to the Finals last year and now we're not even out of the playoff picture and people here are already throwing one of the greatest GMs of all time, the best we'll ever have, under the bus.

#38 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,951 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if he is out awhile. Back's are tricky and his sure has taken a beating over the years. I hope for his own personal sake that it's not too bad.

I think what this means is the Devils are crazy to think they can count on Marty to stay healthy anymore, much as it kills me to say that, even if he's still capable of playing well when he is healthy.  An almost 41-year-old goalie with more miles on his odometer than anyone ever to play his position?  And it's a back issue no less?  Plan B just got here that much faster.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#39 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

I think what this means is the Devils are crazy to think they can count on Marty to stay healthy anymore, much as it kills me to say that, even if he's still capable of playing well when he is healthy.  An almost 41-year-old goalie with more miles on his odometer than anyone ever to play his position?  And it's a back issue no less?  Plan B just got here that much faster.

Which is why it sucks that they don't have a 1st round pick one of the next two years.  It's not like even if healthy Brodeur can be counted on to be better than average at this stage of his career - I think it's better long-term if they start planning for not having him around.  Buying out Hedberg or burying him and getting a guy who isn't 85 years old to back up would be a start.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#40 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Which is why I am surprised the Devils haven't started planning for this years ago.

As much as Lou is a genius as a GM, not planning for this has the potential of being perhaps his greatest folly in his career.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users