32 replies to this topic

#21 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I think Zach leaving has given people a complex about free agents bolting as soon as they can.

Guys who won't play for a team after being drafted usually don't have contact with the GM, nor do they show up for things like prospect camps. Keep in mind Merrill was supposed to be a first rounder. Every team in the league passed on him, but the Devils liked the way he interviewed and thought he would grow out of his issues and took the chance on him.

I believe he even said at the draft he had a feeling that they would take him when he was still on the board for their pick.

It's completely irrational. Just like all the people saying Trav was gonna sign in Winni and Clarky will surely go to Toronto next season, just like Elias is going to the KHL with Zubs next season, right everyone?

You cannot project rare events as probable just because they happened recently. If anything, it makes it even less likely to happen again, not more likely.....

#22 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

It's completely irrational. Just like all the people saying Trav was gonna sign in Winni and Clarky will surely go to Toronto next season, just like Elias is going to the KHL with Zubs next season, right everyone?

You cannot project rare events as probable just because they happened recently. If anything, it makes it even less likely to happen again, not more likely.....

That's not how probability works especially if the events aren't dependent on one another.

#23 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

That's not how probability works especially if the events aren't dependent on one another.

I realize that if I flip a coin 10 times and get heads ten times, it's still 50-50 that I get heads next time.

This isn't a coin toss though. This is reality and we're talking about a decision being made by a person. My point was more that if you were to see an anomalous spike in the data of players that choose not to sign with the team that drafted them, it would be safer to assume it will regress towards the mean eventually than it would be to assume it will keep going on it's trajectory during that anomaly.

#24 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

I am pretty sure he has a NTC

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#25 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Tallinder does not have an NTC. That's why he is commonly included in proposals.

#26 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

I think Zach leaving has given people a complex about free agents bolting as soon as they can.

Guys who won't play for a team after being drafted usually don't have contact with the GM, nor do they show up for things like prospect camps. Keep in mind Merrill was supposed to be a first rounder. Every team in the league passed on him, but the Devils liked the way he interviewed and thought he would grow out of his issues and took the chance on him.

I believe he even said at the draft he had a feeling that they would take him when he was still on the board for their pick.

My original point was that adding Merrill to a trade probably wouldn't work because he has no loyalty to other GM's around he league. He can easily decide to become a UFA if Lou trades him somewhere he doesn't like. Lou has been in contact with him, but none of the other GM's around the league have.

That being said it's still always going to be in the back of my mind that he can pull a Schultz on us if he wants to even though it's not very likely. I'll be at ease when he signs a contract.

#27 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Merrill is redundant to me with Urbom, Gelinas, Severso, Burlon, and Scarlett.

#28 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Merrill is redundant to me with Urbom, Gelinas, Severso, Burlon, and Scarlett.

Merrill is easily our highest regarded d prospect right now, maybe he gets overtaken by Severson, but until then, he's tops. It makes no sense to trade him before he even turns pro. It's pretty rare you see an unsigned prospect get traded, as you'd only be trading the right to sign him, not him.

#29 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

I know we're not looking for a d-man, but our d isn't looking too great and this is just a thought....

http://www.freep.com...dyssey=nav|head

White, is 28 and therefore far younger than the old half of our D. He put up 32 points last year, but has managed to play for 5 teams since 2010. He seems like the kind of outcast, where do I fit kind of guy that Lou likes to find. He's got potential to be an important piece of a team with his offense, but at the same time isn't getting big $$$ with a 2 year $5.75M deal, making his cap hit $2,875,000 and his real pay is only $2.75M this year.

Edit: Didn't realize I was the last poster in the thread, but I think it's easier to see as two posts since they're totally separate thoughts.

Edited by ATLL765, 07 March 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#30 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

I'd like to see Scott Nichol come over from the Blues. He's money on the faceoff and can kill penalties.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#31 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

Ah, St. Louis....... The gift that keeps on giving.

Just think where this franchise would be without the Blues? On second thought, the idea is too bleak to consider. Just pull the trigger with the Blues and be done with it. I have every confidence that whatever Lou can get them to agree to will be wildly lopsided in our favor in the short and/or long term.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#32 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

I know its only a crappy rumor but I wouldn't mind Heatley at all since next year is his last year. It would give us a needed winger.

Elias Zajac Heatley

Zubrus Loktionov Kovalchuk

Ponikarovsky Henrique Clarkson

Matteau Carter Bernier

believe-zubrus.jpg

#33 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

I am pretty sure he has a NTC

The only one with an NTC is DeBoer. A No Tallinder Clause.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users