Trade Proposal (Devils and Blues)

Beetlebum

I think Zach leaving has given people a complex about free agents bolting as soon as they can.

Guys who won't play for a team after being drafted usually don't have contact with the GM, nor do they show up for things like prospect camps. Keep in mind Merrill was supposed to be a first rounder. Every team in the league passed on him, but the Devils liked the way he interviewed and thought he would grow out of his issues and took the chance on him.

I believe he even said at the draft he had a feeling that they would take him when he was still on the board for their pick.

My original point was that adding Merrill to a trade probably wouldn't work because he has no loyalty to other GM's around he league. He can easily decide to become a UFA if Lou trades him somewhere he doesn't like. Lou has been in contact with him, but none of the other GM's around the league have.

That being said it's still always going to be in the back of my mind that he can pull a Schultz on us if he wants to even though it's not very likely. I'll be at ease when he signs a contract.

Merrill is redundant to me with Urbom, Gelinas, Severso, Burlon, and Scarlett.

Merrill is easily our highest regarded d prospect right now, maybe he gets overtaken by Severson, but until then, he's tops. It makes no sense to trade him before he even turns pro. It's pretty rare you see an unsigned prospect get traded, as you'd only be trading the right to sign him, not him.

I know we're not looking for a d-man, but our d isn't looking too great and this is just a thought....

http://www.freep.com/article/20130307/SPORTS05/130307053/detroit-red-wings-ian-white?odyssey=nav|head

White, is 28 and therefore far younger than the old half of our D. He put up 32 points last year, but has managed to play for 5 teams since 2010. He seems like the kind of outcast, where do I fit kind of guy that Lou likes to find. He's got potential to be an important piece of a team with his offense, but at the same time isn't getting big $$$ with a 2 year $5.75M deal, making his cap hit $2,875,000 and his real pay is only $2.75M this year.

Edit: Didn't realize I was the last poster in the thread, but I think it's easier to see as two posts since they're totally separate thoughts.

Edited by ATLL765

Ah, St. Louis....... The gift that keeps on giving.

Just think where this franchise would be without the Blues? On second thought, the idea is too bleak to consider. Just pull the trigger with the Blues and be done with it. I have every confidence that whatever Lou can get them to agree to will be wildly lopsided in our favor in the short and/or long term.