Blues : Halak, Stewart, and 4th

#2 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

the problem with this is that you're ending hedberg's career here and i don't think that's what lou wants to do. i do like chris stewart a lot, but so does st. louis. i don't see why they do this deal.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#3 ziti17

ziti17

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

St Louis is getting screwed in that deal

#4 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

lol STL would laugh and laugh and laugh. You probably couldn't get one of Halak/Stewart for that. What are they going w/ Brian Elliott in net? lulz

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#5 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

Elliot has been so bad this year, it makes you wan't a larger sampling before trading for any goalie. Look at all the one and done goalies this year.

#6 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

I would give them Merrill too.

Also, it should be noted, Chris Stewart has just been okay for the Blues sans his first 26 games for them. 

I think adding Merrill to the equation would help entice them a tad more.

#7 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

The problem with adding Merrill is that if he decides to play for Michigan his senior year he can become a UFA. We hope he'll stay loyal to us after that but I don't see why another team would take that chance.

#8 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

That is so lop-sided. You'll need at least one or two bigger pieces to make St. Louis budge on this one.

#9 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,806 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Tallinder has a no trade clause

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#10 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

They just called up Jake Allen. If he continues to proves himself competent after some games I could see the Blues try and trade Elliot. Halak I think they are more confident in since his poor play has come with injury problems. I think it would take a serious overpayment for the Blues to trade Halak in-season in the middle of a playoff push.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#11 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

The problem with adding Merrill is that if he decides to play for Michigan his senior year he can become a UFA. We hope he'll stay loyal to us after that but I don't see why another team would take that chance.

I'm gonna say the same thing I've said to everyone making this absolutely irrational and silly assumption. Name one player who took that path in the last 20 years, not counting Justin Schultz this year. Now thank me for showing you the light.

#12 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Um, does the name Mike Van Ryn mean anything to you?

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#13 RangersSuck23

RangersSuck23

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

i say wait, and then try for bishop from ottawa, kid looks good

#14 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Um, does the name Mike Van Ryn mean anything to you?

No. I was 8 when he was drafted, but from the looks of his stats, we didn't miss much and one example certainly doesn't show that's even a likely scenario to be repeated. If you can find me about 10-20% of our picks doing that, then I'd be worried and even then, it'd still be an 80-90% chance he stays, a very good bet.

#15 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Volchenkov has a no trade. Tally doesn't. According to capgeek the only defensemen on our roster with a NTC are Volchenkov and Zidlicky

All that said

Devils : Burlon, Josefson, and Tallinder

Blues : Stewart, and 4th

That seems more reasonable to me.

n2eg.jpg

#16 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

Well at the time we drafted him he was the more hyped player of that draft for us which as I recall included Scott Gomez. Granted he wound up not really developing well but I think that was as much his own fault as anyone else's. He certainly had talent, but he didn't think he could learn anything in the AHL which is why he took the career path he did.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#17 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

I don't think he does.

#18 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

I'm gonna say the same thing I've said to everyone making this absolutely irrational and silly assumption. Name one player who took that path in the last 20 years, not counting Justin Schultz this year. Now thank me for showing you the light.

You call it irrational, I call it realistic. The truth is he can become a UFA after his senior year at Michigan. Lou has been in contact with him the entire time and supports his decision to finish out school but we all know he has a hot head and trading him before he even gets the chance to play for us might not sit right with him. And what if he hates St. Louis or wherever we trade him to? Other GMs understandably won't want to take that risk. 

#19 crashline

crashline

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Halak AND Stewart.. umm sign me up.

Posted Image

#20 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

I think Zach leaving has given people a complex about free agents bolting as soon as they can.

Guys who won't play for a team after being drafted usually don't have contact with the GM, nor do they show up for things like prospect camps. Keep in mind Merrill was supposed to be a first rounder. Every team in the league passed on him, but the Devils liked the way he interviewed and thought he would grow out of his issues and took the chance on him.

I believe he even said at the draft he had a feeling that they would take him when he was still on the board for their pick.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users