26 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,765 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

If so inclined, the Rangers could amnesty Gaborik or Richards and sign a big name free agent either this year or next year. 

Not really.  They have to re-sign Hagelin, Stepan, and McDonagh this off-season.  Even if each of them only get the 2 year contract treatment, I expect that to cost them $8M/season.  The year after that, most of the team is either UFA or RFA.  They have to be banking on a $9M contract for Lundqvist, $6M for Calalhan, etc.  I also think the Gaborik contract is easily traded if they're so inclined.

Amazingly Richards makes $57M in the first 6 years of his contract actually, so it's even worse.
http://www.capgeek.com/player/690

I think it's a fair deal for Getzlaf, but considering other teams could only offer 7 year deals I do think it's uncertain someone would have beaten that offer in UFA and the Ducks maybe could have waited. A 7 year deal worth 66M is a AAV of ~9.5, which would be difficult for another team to handle. Maybe Getzlaf prefers a 7 year deal worth $63M for an AAV of 9.0 M. Someone would have offered that I bet at least but it's not entirely clear which contract is better. It only takes one legitimate offer though...

Getzlaf would be 35 at the end of a 7 year contract.  Is it unfair to assume that he would get 5M a year coming off that?  If injuries don't do him in he still should be a solid 2nd line center.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Getzlaf would be 35 at the end of a 7 year contract.  Is it unfair to assume that he would get 5M a year coming off that?  If injuries don't do him in he still should be a solid 2nd line center.

Maybe Getzlaf even would have been better off taking a 6 year / 9-10M per deal. That way he could get one last Prongeresque contract before the 35+ threshold.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#23 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Speaking of the offseason, a UFA I would love to see on this team would be Nik Antropov, big bodied guy that can fill the 3rd line RW, would play our system perfectly.
25smul5.png

#24 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

This is what contracts look like without gimmicks.   Not surprising at all.   Maybe they overpaid him a little, and could have played chicken with him, but they could lose both of them by playing chicken.

#25 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

Huge HUGE cap hit!

#26 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

Holy sh!t.. So happy we didn't sign Kovy to this type of money..

Huh?   This is less than what Kovy's being paid.    They just can't cheat to lower the cap hit by $2M+

#27 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

Maybe Getzlaf even would have been better off taking a 6 year / 9-10M per deal. That way he could get one last Prongeresque contract before the 35+ threshold.

Those 35+ contracts no longer exist in the new CBA...

Huge HUGE cap hit!

This will be the new norm...   players will grab the same cash they did... but now the caps will more closely reflect their salary.   ie, you won't get a Kovy for a 6.6mm cap hit.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users