26 replies to this topic

#1 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

This is perhaps a bad time to ask this question, with the team (see: Hedberg) playing so poorly, but what would you all like to see Lou do at the trade deadline? Acquire a piece to attempt to make the Devils more competitive? Or sell off some veterans for late picks? I'm sure the second option sounds more appealing to some right now, with the draft supposedly being pretty deep, but is it really worth throwing in the towel?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#2 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

No sell, with the Devils you always have to believe look at last year or the Johnny Mac fiasco, what I hope Lou does in my opinion is to get a piece or 2 to the system, we have always been great at adding players who nobody else believed in but make sure they are our system type player.
The only time we start thinking of the draft is when we are mathematically out of it until then BELIEVE!
LET'S GO DEVILS!!!!!

#3 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Buyers; it's not blind optimism, but I truly feel we're 1 or 2 pieces away from being a really dangerous team. Even some of these 4-1/5-1 blowout games had moments during which we could've and should've won. We've been hitting crossbars and posts, and goalies have been standing on their head. No excuses of course, but we need an elite forward to come in and tip the balance toward scoring and winning.

#4 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,158 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

we need either scorers or another goaltender. We're not exactly the Flyers or the Pens who has the firepower to outscore 4-5 goals every game and cover for their bad goaltending

www.SterioDesign.com

#5 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Neither - I think the Devils are done making their deadline moves, but they will be in the playoff hunt, and won't feel the need to add anything.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,158 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Lou won't be a seller. we'll be too close even if we're out of the playoffs by then and Lou has a win now mentality

www.SterioDesign.com

#7 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

There's really no moves for the Devils to be made right now or by the deadline and to be honest, they're not really in a good position to be mortgaging whatever they have of value (Matteau, Merrill, 1st round pick).  There will be significant turnover probably this offseason with a couple departures on defense and some more tinkering at forward.

Like Tri said, the Devils will be in the playoff hunt (it's going to be for 7 and 8 seeds) and there is the chance they could drop out of it, but they'll be around there in the 7-10 range at the end of April.  I'm not sure how much I buy Ottawa being able to keep up this pace they're on with all the problems they've had, but I expect the Rangers and Flyers to make a run.  If the Devils get their act together here, should be exciting at least.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#8 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

They don't have any expendable pieces to sell other than Zidlicky (and don't give me Clarkson, he's not 'expendable').  Unless you want to try to get a refund on Poni.

They don't have a lot of pieces to use buying stuff either, unless they trade a prospect d-man or completely forefit one of the next two drafts.  It'd be nice if they ended this eight-D merry-go-round but I'm not holding my breath since Lou's almost as stubborn as Pete.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 10 March 2013 - 01:16 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#9 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

I still think we have all the pieces to be a solid playoff team...nothing special of course. They just need to get their heads out of their you know whats. Marty and Zubrus will help this team a lot.

My only concern is still the logjam on D. The constant shuffling is hurting them.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#10 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

I still think we have all the pieces to be a solid playoff team...nothing special of course. They just need to get their heads out of their you know whats. Marty and Zubrus will help this team a lot.

My only concern is still the logjam on D. The constant shuffling is hurting them.

Problem is no one knows when Zubs and Marty will return. We gotta hold down the fort and win games so that when they return we'll still have a shot at the post season.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#11 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Problem is no one knows when Zubs and Marty will return. We gotta hold down the fort and win games so that when they return we'll still have a shot at the post season.

The fort has been obliterated. :( We can only hope this team can come together and go on a tear just like last year.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#12 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Buyers but nothing big.

This team really misses Zubrus.

#13 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Either way I'd really like to see Lou lock up Elias and Clarkson before they hit UFA this off season.

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Either way I'd really like to see Lou lock up Elias and Clarkson before they hit UFA this off season.

If things are still going poorly, I'd trade Clarkson for a first round pick in this year's draft. This is supposed to be the best one since 2003. Clarkson is at the peak of his value. I wouldn't give him away, but you have to go under the assumption that someone will overpay him in free agency. Use the money you're spending on him to lock up Henrique and give Elias four to five more years, or whatever he's looking for. I'm not worried about Zubrus. He'll re-sign unless he decides to retire, or Lou gives him an offer that's a slap in the face.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#15 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

If things are still going poorly, I'd trade Clarkson for a first round pick in this year's draft. This is supposed to be the best one since 2003. Clarkson is at the peak of his value. I wouldn't give him away, but you have to go under the assumption that someone will overpay him in free agency. Use the money you're spending on him to lock up Henrique and give Elias four to five more years, or whatever he's looking for. I'm not worried about Zubrus. He'll re-sign unless he decides to retire, or Lou gives him an offer that's a slap in the face.

Agreed. If the losing continues and a playoff spot dries up then see what you can get for Clarkson around the trade deadline.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#16 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

We should try and land Cam Atkinson from CLB

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#17 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Sell: Tallinder, Volchenkov, Salvador, Janssen, Tedenby, and Hedberg
Buy: Perry, Versteeg, draft picks

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#18 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

How do you buy Versteeg and Perry when your selling list is the one you stated above ?
Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#19 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

Versteeg was a nightmare against us in the regular season last year and in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind him.

#20 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Versteeg was a nightmare against us in the regular season last year and in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind him.

Some reports say the Panthers are shopping him.

http://www.ottawasun...s-ready-to-sell

Edited by Zubie#8, 11 March 2013 - 12:18 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users