60 replies to this topic

#21 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hate on DeBoer all you want, but try to be a little respectful (going back to theme of the OP). No reason to come up with immature names like that.

http://youcanplayproject.org/

This. We can agree to disagree on DeBoer's coaching, but this board is worth going to because people are respectful. I have no patience for racist, sexist, or homophobic bullish!t.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#22 CAdevsfan

CAdevsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

This. We can agree to disagree on DeBoer's coaching, but this board is worth going to because people are respectful. I have no patience for racist, sexist, or homophobic bullish!t.

Thank you.  And as a parent of kids with disabilities, I would include the "retard" labels on that list.

#23 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

Thank you.  And as a parent of kids with disabilities, I would include the "retard" labels on that list.

Completely agreed. Forgot about that one, but it gets bandied around way too regularly, even on this board.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#24 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

After what Deboer helped this team achieve last year I don't know how anyone could hate him. Even if u don't like some of the things he's done this year I think people should realize that this guy has really done a phenomenal job with this team overall since he came here. And on a side note, anything that the team does in regards to playing a prospect or scratching players will go through Lou at some point. So if people complain about Deboers decision to scratch or play player X then they should blame Lou for giving him the go ahead as well.

#25 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Yea I'm 12, and I can see how bad a a coach deboer has been in this 10 game stretch. Many of his moves make zero sense, mainly his decision to constantly start hedberg regardless of how he plays. And he is constantly putting this team in a bad position. I'm 12 and I see all that, and in response I call him defaggotboer. How often does a goalie get pulled 2 of 3 games and continue to start without hitting the bench at least for a game. I would imagine never but alas our best D-men are always benched and hedberg gets no rest even when hes playing like sh!t. So ya.

You'll learn one day, when your childhood friend or a cousin or even your future son comes out of the closet, how hurtful and unnecessary that word is. I can somewhat understand a drunk fan at the Flyers game letting it rip on Rinaldo after a dirty hit. But on a forum, you have more time, concentration and poise to express your thoughts more respectfully.

#26 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

Yeah -- for me DeBoer is not out of control or making desperation moves. He's considering everything and has much more information than we do on what benching some guys will do to the team morale.

I dont feel like he's playing it safe.  He IS cautious - but I do trust him.  He's kind of Stevens-esque in that he keeps moving even if it's a snails pace - and looks and looks and looks and forms a vision and for me - his vision is really close to bullseye.  You find that out of course after he's decided to take action.  I see no sign he's out of touch and graspong at straws. 

In FACT I see someone completely in touch while keeping space for decision making.  He a coach that sees and understands "A time for everythign and everything in it's time"

We don't - we're fans and want instant gratification.  He makes n o excuses like some coaches and he's not stalling.  He's not happy but won't screw things up wheel spinning or forcing accountability before it's ready to be digested by the team.

So far -- DeBoer is my top favorite coach under pressure like this. 

I'm here for the party

#27 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

What a stupid thread.
It's the whiskey talking.

#28 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

What a stupid thread.

that too  :P

I'm here for the party

#29 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Yea you got me bro, totally embarrased.

He's got a point and everyone here will tell you that. You obviously need to take a step back. It's clear you have no sense or perspective, so please take some time to gain those and then come back.

We try hard to not be like Rangers fans here. You don't call people names, because that's what 2 year olds do, we don't use the word "jerk" to describe a coach who just took us the the SCF for the first time in 9 years. You want a coach who did better last year? Well, there's only one of those and do you really want to see another Sutter here?

We also don't boo our own players, which, while hypocritically so, LD has made a valid and sensible point that Hedberg is doing the best he can and we shouldn't fault him for it. So if you like doing those things, please do us all a favor and become a Rags or Philly fan.

#30 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

We also don't boo our own players

To be fair, we booed Rolston

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#31 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,451 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

There was never any real booing of Rolston although he should have been booed. We booed Kovy a couple times and cheered Langs as a healthy scratch before the trade was announced.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 11 March 2013 - 10:51 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#32 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

I hate when our fans boo our own players.  What is the point?  Do you think they don't know if they are struggling and need their own fans to let them know?  If they are slumping they need support more than they need their own fans turning against them.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#33 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

I hate when our fans boo our own players. What is the point? Do you think they don't know if they are struggling and need their own fans to let them know? If they are slumping they need support more than they need their own fans turning against them.

I completely agree.. The Kovy booing back in 2010 was the worst, especially when people complain about his contract like they're paying it and he owes them something.. The players are professionals, unless its an effort issue (which is hasn't been) there is no reason to boo

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#34 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

He's got a point and everyone here will tell you that. You obviously need to take a step back. It's clear you have no sense or perspective, so please take some time to gain those and then come back.

We try hard to not be like Rangers fans here. You don't call people names, because that's what 2 year olds do, we don't use the word "jerk" to describe a coach who just took us the the SCF for the first time in 9 years. You want a coach who did better last year? Well, there's only one of those and do you really want to see another Sutter here?

We also don't boo our own players, which, while hypocritically so, LD has made a valid and sensible point that Hedberg is doing the best he can and we shouldn't fault him for it. So if you like doing those things, please do us all a favor and become a Rags or Philly fan.

perspective or sense huh. Really I have watched this team squander 1st place the conference, to end up sitting at the bottom rung of the playoff hunt. Granted we are not out of the hunt, but we have wasted our great start and if we don't make the playoffs this year this stretch is 100percent why. That is terrible coaching. We are something like 2-7-1 in our last 10. But sure, CLEARLY deboer should be given the benefit of the doubt. It's not like hes been blaming our losses on a lack of offensive production whilst our goalie has let in 4-5 goals more 3 times in this lossing streak. I think earlier in the thread I posed the question when is the last time a goalie has been pulled in 2 of his last 3 starts and continued to start without at least sitting one game. Waiting on that answer I would imagine probably never.

BMaybe you should actually read what I wrote, I don't blame moose. His play has been attrocious, but its the coaches fault for putting him in net every night. The easiest way to become irrelevant in pro-sports is to lose your hunger because of past successes, and the same applies for the coach. Assuming that deboer is a genius when he is clearly mishandling the team in this desperate time is naive. We are in a new season, and I don't care what this team did last year, thats the past I enjoyed that time but I'm not giving the coaching staff a pass on this miserable performance because they took us to the finals  last year. This team is motivating itself right now because even they are tired of lossing, a good coach would have had these guys playing with the intensity they have showed the last 3 games after the first loss to winnipeg. I mentioned it in another thread, the attitude that deboer has had makes me wish that he was more like torts in some respect. THe rangers might go on a lossing streak but they will play hard as fvck every night, we were playing unmotivated for the first half of this lossing streak. That is one of my major gripes with how deboer has handeled this lossing streak, aside from the obvious ludacris rotation of good d-men for bad and keeping hedberg in net.

I'm clear, that doesn't mean I can't be fvcking livid with the insanity im watching play out on a nightly basis. And to everyone harping on the jerk comment christ, get over yourselves its a word. Love the you should become a rags/philly fan comment. Alot of older people must be using these forums living in denial of how great the devils fan base is and how we are NOTHING like other teams fans. We chant you suck at the other team when we score and collectivley point at the goalie. This holier than thou sh!t is prettty ridiculous, devils fans can be just as bad as any other teams fans.  

Edited by Sneax, 11 March 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#35 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

I completely agree.. The Kovy booing back in 2010 was the worst, especially when people complain about his contract like they're paying it and he owes them something.. The players are professionals, unless its an effort issue (which is hasn't been) there is no reason to boo

I think that was a perfect storm though. Kovy came in with the reputation of a effort lacking, skill not superstar kind of player. The kind of player that is the antithesis of the Devils system. This wasn't 100% what Kovy was, but he had a bit of it to begin with. Whether that was due to him or bad coaches not telling him when he's wrong, but it existed. People had a serious problem with him coming into the org like that. I didn't like it at first, at all. I thought it would be a trade that was terrible for us, but not so.

perspective or sense huh. Really I have watched this team squander 1st place the conference, to end up sitting at the bottom rung of the playoff hunt. Granted we are not out of the hunt, but we have wasted our great start and if we don't make the playoffs this year this stretch is 100percent why. That is terrible coaching. We are something like 2-7-1 in our last 10. But sure, CLEARLY deboer should be given the benefit of the doubt. It's not like hes been blaming our losses on a lack of offensive production whilst our goalie has let in 4-5 goals more 3 times in this lossing streak. I think earlier in the thread I posed the question when is the last time a goalie has been pulled in 2 of his last 3 starts and continued to start without at least sitting one game. Waiting on that answer I would imagine probably never.

BMaybe you should actually read what I wrote, I don't blame moose. His play has been attrocious, but its the coaches fault for putting him in net every night. The easiest way to become irrelevant in pro-sports is to lose your hunger because of past successes, and the same applies for the coach. Assuming that deboer is a genius when he is clearly mishandling the team in this desperate time is naive. We are in a new season, and I don't care what this team did last year, thats the past I enjoyed that time but I'm not giving the coaching staff a pass on this miserable performance because they took us to the finals  last year. This team is motivating itself right now because even they are tired of lossing, a good coach would have had these guys playing with the intensity they have showed the last 3 games after the first loss to winnipeg. I mentioned it in another thread, the attitude that deboer has had makes me wish that he was more like torts in some respect. THe rangers might go on a lossing streak but they will play hard as fvck every night, we were playing unmotivated for the first half of this lossing streak. That is one of my major gripes with how deboer has handeled this lossing streak, aside from the obvious ludacris rotation of good d-men for bad and keeping hedberg in net.

I'm clear, that doesn't mean I can't be fvcking livid with the insanity im watching play out on a nightly basis. And to everyone harping on the jerk comment christ, get over yourselves its a word. Love the you should become a rags/philly fan comment. Alot of older people must be using these forums living in denial of how great the devils fan base is and how we are NOTHING like other teams fans. We chant you suck at the other team when we score and collectivley point and the goalie. This holier than thou sh!t is prettty ridiculous, devils fans can be just as bad as any other teams fans.  

My point about the booing had more to do with your deboer comment than anything you said about Hedberg. I'm also not old and I don't say "you suck" after we score because that's the thing I hate most about our fanbase. Also, saying other people do it isn't an excuse for being an ass.

#36 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

perspective or sense huh. Really I have watched this team squander 1st place the conference, to end up sitting at the bottom rung of the playoff hunt. Granted we are not out of the hunt, but we have wasted our great start and if we don't make the playoffs this year this stretch is 100percent why. That is terrible coaching. We are something like 2-7-1 in our last 10. But sure, CLEARLY deboer should be given the benefit of the doubt. It's not like hes been blaming our losses on a lack of offensive production whilst our goalie has let in 4-5 goals more 3 times in this lossing streak. I think earlier in the thread I posed the question when is the last time a goalie has been pulled in 2 of his last 3 starts and continued to start without at least sitting one game. Waiting on that answer I would imagine probably never.

BMaybe you should actually read what I wrote, I don't blame moose. His play has been attrocious, but its the coaches fault for putting him in net every night. The easiest way to become irrelevant in pro-sports is to lose your hunger because of past successes, and the same applies for the coach. Assuming that deboer is a genius when he is clearly mishandling the team in this desperate time is naive. We are in a new season, and I don't care what this team did last year, thats the past I enjoyed that time but I'm not giving the coaching staff a pass on this miserable performance because they took us to the finals last year. This team is motivating itself right now because even they are tired of lossing, a good coach would have had these guys playing with the intensity they have showed the last 3 games after the first loss to winnipeg. I mentioned it in another thread, the attitude that deboer has had makes me wish that he was more like torts in some respect. THe rangers might go on a lossing streak but they will play hard as fvck every night, we were playing unmotivated for the first half of this lossing streak. That is one of my major gripes with how deboer has handeled this lossing streak, aside from the obvious ludacris rotation of good d-men for bad and keeping hedberg in net.

I'm clear, that doesn't mean I can't be fvcking livid with the insanity im watching play out on a nightly basis. And to everyone harping on the jerk comment christ, get over yourselves its a word. Love the you should become a rags/philly fan comment. Alot of older people must be using these forums living in denial of how great the devils fan base is and how we are NOTHING like other teams fans. We chant you suck at the other team when we score and collectivley point at the goalie. This holier than thou sh!t is prettty ridiculous, devils fans can be just as bad as any other teams fans.

1) I refuse to do the you suck part of the goal chant. Its dumb and I grew up watching the devils score without that part in there.

2) I can understand you being upset and angry, but these are how seasons go. Honesty is rather squeak into the playoffs in 7th or 8th but coming off a hot streak than making it in 1st but in a slump. I also really don't know how much more deboer can do than what has already done outside of probably sitting Salvador.

3) I really wonder how you would react to the devils games circa late 80's and wary 90's. I still remember pretty well when just making the playoffs was a successful season.

#37 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

I think that was a perfect storm though. Kovy came in with the reputation of a effort lacking, skill not superstar kind of player. The kind of player that is the antithesis of the Devils system. This wasn't 100% what Kovy was, but he had a bit of it to begin with. Whether that was due to him or bad coaches not telling him when he's wrong, but it existed. People had a serious problem with him coming into the org like that. I didn't like it at first, at all. I thought it would be a trade that was terrible for us, but not so.

My point about the booing had more to do with your deboer comment than anything you said about Hedberg. I'm also not old and I don't say "you suck" after we score because that's the thing I hate most about our fanbase. Also, saying other people do it isn't an excuse for being an ass.

I dont recall saying that I'm using anything fans do as an excuse for my comments. I actually enjoy the you suck chant for what its worth. I was just pointing out that this crap about please go be a rags philly fan if you act this way is well, crap. It's a way of you saying sneax I don't like the way you speak but I have no real way of arguing these points so go away.

#38 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Sneax I don't like the way you speak but I have no real way of arguing these points so go away.

Edit: Is he gone yet?

Edited by ATLL765, 11 March 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#39 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

1) I refuse to do the you suck part of the goal chant. Its dumb and I grew up watching the devils score without that part in there.

3) I really wonder how you would react to the devils games circa late 80's and wary 90's. I still remember pretty well when just making the playoffs was a successful season.

It's really about expectations, I expect this team to play better than what I'm seeing. We know they have the talent, so the issue is then coaching. Which is why im so mad.

#40 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

What a stupid thread.

because it bears repeating... :uni:

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users